• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown | Review Thread

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• PC

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xbox Series X|S

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Amazon Luna

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
2024's first sleeper hit is incoming! 💯
smug top gear GIF

Ubisoft made….a good game?

whatyearisit.jpg
lol Gotta be the highest rated Ubi title in what? 5 years?
Your issue is with the AC team and the Far Cry team.

The PoP: Lost Crown team is the dev team that helped co-develop these titles in the past 10 years:

Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Rayman Mini (You all should try it if you liked the above two)
Rayman Adventures iOS (You all should try it if you liked the above two)
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Valiant Hearts: Coming Home

This is yet another 80s-90s rated game under their belt.

Last edited:

gtabro

Genuinely asking, no jokes or humor intended - did this guy get a stroke or something? I used to watch him like 5 years ago and he had faster and sharper, so to speak, speech (you can check his old videos for proof), now something's off..?

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm really happy to see a Prince of Persia game receiving such high scores. I'm also surprised that Ubisoft managed to produce such a critically acclaimed work. The game seemed a bit expensive to me, but I'll definitely try out the demo. I hope to play all of it one day. By the way, in the review videos, they showed the first Prince of Persia game(one of my all time favorites), and I realized that I had completely forgotten that the series originally started as a 2D action-platformer game. In that sense, we can say the series has returned to its roots. Congratulations to everyone involved in this. I hope it leads to new 3D Prince adventures as well.

bender

What time is it?
Genuinely asking, no jokes or humor intended - did this guy get a stroke or something? I used to watch him like 5 years ago and he had faster and sharper, so to speak, speech (you can check his old videos for proof), now something's off..?

Never watched him but he sounds super congested. Maybe he is sick?

Finished the demo and I'll say that I really enjoyed it. Played it a bit on the Switch first to see how it runs and feels in portable, but then I moved to my PS5 where I finished it.

The platforming is top tier, very satisfying and surprisingly a bit challenging in some places till you learn the correct strategy.

Combat is great as well, really like those finisher moves when you parry a yellow attack.

Sucks a bit that they just tease the boss fight and not actually let you fight it.

Seems the game had the Switch as the lead platform so the game runs very well on both platforms I've played on (Switch and PS5).

Last edited:
I'm really happy to see a Prince of Persia game receiving such high scores. I'm also surprised that Ubisoft managed to produce such a critically acclaimed work. The game seemed a bit expensive to me, but I'll definitely try out the demo. I hope to play all of it one day. By the way, in the review videos, they showed the first Prince of Persia game(one of my all time favorites), and I realized that I had completely forgotten that the series originally started as a 2D action-platformer game. In that sense, we can say the series has returned to its roots. Congratulations to everyone involved in this. I hope it leads to new 3D Prince adventures as well.
Oh they intentionally made this a spin off. The prince coming back for real will be in 3d. Probably.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Finished the demo earlier today on Playstation 5. Game isn't graphically amazing but the platforming and combat feel insanely responsive and satisfying (4K 120hz is also soooooo good), the feeling of landing a parry is so good.

Soundtrack and voice acting was also surprisingly good. Definitely gonna preorder it.

Are there swappable skins in the game? I'd be more interested if the main character didn't look awful with that hairstyle of his.
The camera is so far back in that Metroidvania style that you won't really notice the hairstyle except maybe in cutscenes.

Played the Demo on both Switch and Xbox SX. Ultimately I’m going to get the the Xbox version, but if Switch were my only option it wouldn’t be bad. The things I noticed were definitely lower resolution textures on Switch, and when I got to the Forest area the game started showing some frame drops.

Also the Switch version looked washed out color wise compared to the Xbox version. I had my tv settings mostly the same for both so I found that strange, especially considering it doesn’t have HDR. Still I’m going to take the $50 plunge so I want the best graphics and performance.

Switch version looked pretty good on the OLED in handheld, and since the game has cross-platform saves I may get the Switch version later on sale if I really end up liking the game.

Last edited:
Everyone calls his review now "Honest". As in the other reviews are dishonest.
But he said something right, just a few companies nowdays make FUN games.
That's why i revisit my old consoles and games.

Im tired of this crap;

-loot
-battlepass
-Multiplayer only
-GaaS
-Graphics, 4k, RT etc etc (and he is right when he said majority of those games don't play well)

If you enjoy, that's fine, but for me videogame is sinonimous of challenge and fun gameplay.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No TAA is a mistake. smaa/fxaa alone is not doing it for me. The demo is shimmery a bit.
And no hdr sucks.
But the game seems fine

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Sucks that the reviews came out so early, I was really excited to play this game, I love Metroidvanias. Have to wait til the 18th.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The prince coming back for real will be in 3d. Probably.
Why though? Assassin's Creed is the replacement for 3D Prince of Persia. Hell, it even started out as Prince of Persia: Assassins.

PoP was originally a 2D game and even Jordan Mechner is praising it going back to its roots.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Why though? Assassin's Creed is the replacement for 3D Prince of Persia. Hell, it even started out as Prince of Persia: Assassins.

Wow! I had no idea that AC came out of a PoP prototype. Interesting!

Shakka43

Oh they intentionally made this a spin off. The prince coming back for real will be in 3d. Probably.
That's like saying the real Samus is coming back when Prime 4 releases.

Some people here are jaded as fuck, this game looks and plays pretty damn good. The combat itself is leagues better than any POP released before.

SCB3

Played through the demo on Switch and I have to say, it seems like a good game, could be a nice 20h playthrough whilst waiting for the ever in development Silksong, I loved the 3D PoP games on the PS2 and this is going back to the more traditional PoP though

I've gone from skip/sale to buy on release from this demo alone

ManaByte

Gold Member
Played through the demo on Switch and I have to say, it seems like a good game, could be a nice 20h playthrough whilst waiting for the ever in development Silksong, I loved the 3D PoP games on the PS2 and this is going back to the more traditional PoP though

I've gone from skip/sale to buy on release from this demo alone

The game made me want to seek out the original PoP on PC and play it again. UbiSoft owns the franchise, but the ORIGINAL and PoP 2 are abandonware. They made PoP Classic and it's BC on Xbox, but the only way to play the original PC version and sequel is finding the abandonware files and running it in DOS Box. It's not available on Steam or GoG. Only the modern 3D versions.

Top Bottom