• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has underperformed, only 300,000 players so far

Urban

A platformer has to be really special for me to pay £40 or more on it. Nintendo sometimes achieve that.

Prince of Persia: Lost Crown is not that. I'd pay £20 max and frankly, I already have too many games to play.
Try it. Its really good! and doesnt have those known "ubisoft formula" in it.
Its an awesome metriodvania who can compete with Ori,Hollow knight etc. + the Fighting system is good too!

Dazraell

The initial trailer reveal promoting this game, lacking art style and launch price took any possible hype for it, at least for me. I do plan to buy it because of constantly seeing reports how great it is and playing the demo, but that first trailer is a great study how out of touch marketing can decrease an interest in a return of once beloved IP

Last edited:
A platformer has to be really special for me to pay £40 or more on it. Nintendo sometimes achieve that.

Prince of Persia: Lost Crown is not that. I'd pay £20 max and frankly, I already have too many games to play.
It is special. It’s better than Dread IMO.

Gamers are morons. “I hate AAA games we need more smaller budget, special games”

Smaller budget special game comes out.

“Too expensive. Not paying more than 10 dollars for a side scroller. “

Last edited:
I really wanted to like the game and thought it would be ideal for the switch if u am not at home, but after playing 2 hours I felt that the Switch’s display is too small to enjoy the game, as everything looks very small.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
As with all ubisoft games, i wait a -75%+ sale before purchase.
Purely a consequence of all their blank & copy/paste games as well as micro-transactions piece of crap everywhere during all these years
If Prince of Persia is a collateral damage so be it.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Everyone complains about Ubisoft only doing bloated open world garbage and then Ubisoft actually makes a game that’s different, and is awesome, and is well reviewed, and is not full price, and it bombs

We deserve the trash we get

Gamers often fail to back up their words with financial support, so it's not surprising that we encounter many issues in the gaming industry as a result.

Purely a consequence of all their blank & copy/paste games as well as micro-transactions piece of crap everywhere during all these years
Yup. Ubisoft did it to themselves. They've made it exceedingly obvious you should never repay full price for any of their games at launch, because there will be multiple sales in the year after launch, with the first sales happening 6 weeks after launch and sometimes even as early as 4 weeks after launch.

Strange goofy style and high price.

Perhaps they can do well enough over a long period when on steam and a lower price, seems a good game staged to the wrong audience. maybe remix the character for the Steam launch to be more classical Persian rather than a fornite drop.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

For me it's better that the last Mario Wonder (which is collecting dust atm). Dissmissing it without giving a chanse is a mistake.

mdkirby

My interest in it was mid, way more to play when it launched. And it’s Ubisoft; kinda been conditioned that if i haven’t played it for a year, it’ll be “free” in gamespass/PlayStation+ …even more so if it’s a smaller game.

StereoVsn

It is special. It’s better than Dread IMO.

Gamers are morons. “I hate AAA games we need more smaller budget, special games”

Smaller budget special game comes out.

“Too expensive. Not paying more than 10 dollars for a side scroller. “
Ubisoft hasn’t earned the trust. Nobody but Nintendo has been able to sell 2D Platformers for full price in years, maybe decades.

Then Ubi comes out with 2D Prince of Persia (instead of 3D as folks were expecting) which has a very divisive art style and $60+ price. Well, fucking surprise, it didn’t sell.

Oh, and let’s not forget that they didn’t release on Steam meaning PC sales were crap as well. So don’t blame the gamers for not taking a chance on a $60+ 2D Platformer. Blame Ubisoft.

Prince of Persia fans have been asking for a Sands of Time style of game but Ubi makes this instead and then wonder why nobody bought their game.

Idiots
This is better than getting a Sands of Time retread. A lot better.

Ubisoft hasn’t earned the trust. Nobody but Nintendo has been able to sell 2D Platformers for full price in years, maybe decades.

Then Ubi comes out with 2D Prince of Persia (instead of 3D as folks were expecting) which has a very divisive art style and $60+ price. Well, fucking surprise, it didn’t sell.

Oh, and let’s not forget that they didn’t release on Steam meaning PC sales were crap as well. So don’t blame the gamers for not taking a chance on a $60+ 2D Platformer. Blame Ubisoft.
I can blame both.
both GIF

StereoVsn

This is better than getting a Sands of Time retread. A lot better.

I can blame both.
both GIF
Eh, don’t know if I would agree. IMO this is mostly Ubisoft issue.

Hell, not releasing on Steam means no Steam reviews so no real review aggregate by actual buyers vs say Metacritic or Reddit user reviews.

dorkimoe

LOVED it. I have never played a metroidvania game (that i know of) and i also never really cared for prince of persia, but this was probably my most fun game i played all year. The perfect difficulty, the boss battles were hard and frustrating but eventually you learned the pattern and figured it out. Same with the puzzles, all the puzzles except like 3 are the perfect length where you are like "oh god i cant do anymore" and then you beat it. More people need to play this game. A+

Shakka43

What's the endgame then, change or total demise? Cause not supporting the good stuff will certainly lead to the latter which doesn't help anyone.

SALMORE

4 hours in ! so far so good , combat & exploration and puzzle are super fun

what i like the most about it is the magnificent seven / Dirty dozen aspect of the story

Fbh

Not calling anyone racist, however, it might take some really deep-seated generational hatred to avoid one of the best metroidvania games ever created simply due to a haircut associated with young black males.

Saying it's just the haircut seems reductionist.
The entire vibe the game was giving off just didn't click with some people. The ugly cartoony fortnite-esque art style, the prince replaced by generic Killmonger clone 8576, the use of shitty pop music in the reveal trailer

Pair that with a $50 price tag which is way more than the average price in this genre and it's not hard to see why it bombed. Nintendo and Metroid might get away with that price tag, but Dread actually looked like what fans wanted, and Ubisoft ain't Nintendo (and POP ain't Metroid)

Compare it to something like Ori and the will of the Wisp

Which btw was $30 at launch

The backgrounds and enemy designs in the demo were bland as fuck. Zero atmosphere, I hated the art direction enough to skip it. Zoomer Of Persia isn't my cup as much as that annoying edgy Emo one they did back in the day.

Isa

Saying it's just the haircut seems reductionist.
The entire vibe the game was giving off just didn't click with some people. The ugly cartoony fortnite-esque art style, the prince replaced by generic Killmonger clone 8576, the use of shitty pop music in the reveal trailer

Pair that with a $50 price tag which is way more than the average price in this genre and it's not hard to see why it bombed. Nintendo and Metroid might get away with that price tag, but Dread actually looked like what fans wanted, and Ubisoft ain't Nintendo (and POP ain't Metroid)

Compare it to something like Ori and the will of the Wisp

Which btw was $30 at launch

Seriously, because of that I will never ever ever touch it. And that's totally fine I'm sure they'll get plenty more sales over time but an art style, presentation and reveals can alienate an audience. Plus the character designer's attitude made me want to never support anything the guy ever does. Time is short and precious, I can't buy or play everything. I made my choice easily thanks to Ubisoft.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Looks and plays great from what I see, but ubisoft policy of huge and heavy discounting hurts them here. I know this game will be $10-$15 in 3 or 4 months, I will just wait.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This is how Ubisoft revealed this game

Ubisoft should fire people responsible for their announcement trailers. They're doing more harm than good, especially when they're treating a game like Lost Crown like any other big IP that's supposed to appeal to the mass market.

Focusing on the gameplay and things metroidvania fans like would definitely lead to calmer reactions, even if the same people still wouldn't be sold on the art style and how the main character looks.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Their own failure if such a modest game in scope and production values needs to sell that much more to make it worth their while, coupled with not putting it on major platforms like Steam.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I grabbed it for $30 on switch the other day. Seems like that would have been a more appropriate price point to launch at.

Top Bottom