• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has underperformed, only 300,000 players so far

LakeOf9

In early January, Ubisoft released one of its highest-rated Metacritic games in the past decade, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. The game hit a height of 88 (Nintendo Switch) with its critic score and a 9.1 user score, leading many to believe that the game could already be in the running for several Game of the Year awards. Despite the impressive scores though, the game has around 300,000 players at the time of writing (estimated $15m in revenue).

Everyone complains about Ubisoft only doing bloated open world garbage and then Ubisoft actually makes a game that’s different, and is awesome, and is well reviewed, and is not full price, and it bombs

We deserve the trash we get

Mr Hyde

It looks cool and I love Metroidvanias but there is just too much to play now so gonna have to pick it up at a later date. It would be a shame to see it bomb though and discourage Ubi to try new things. They can produce good shit occasionally.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a £15 game going for £44.99 what do they expect.
Plus the POP:SOT Remake trophies just reappeared on the backend of PSN so once that gets reannounced and released no one will remember this one anyway.

MagnesD3

I mean Ubisoft is kinda hated now by most hardcore crowd of gamers and its not like they support or heavily promote Prince of Persia as a franchise. I doubt anyone is surprised even if its quality.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I am more surprised by those Avatar numbers, 1.9m is not great for such a massively popular franchise, sad about Prince of Persia, it was a blast all the way.

On the other hand theyve just came out and maybe the sales will pick up a bit with updates/dlcs and sales, ubisoft does those a lot.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

How much Cred does the POP brand have in 2024? Also, this new gen of gamers seem to think 2D games aren't worth full price unless it's Mario or something

Last edited:

Fake

I guess people are expecting a proper Prince of Persia release, whatever this game is good or not.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It is assumed that the use of Ubiart would have good graphics... But even that cannot be done well by Ubisoft... Having a good engine, they did not achieve the graphics of Valiant hearts.

Last edited:

simpatico

That price is a hard sell for what is basically a licensed game. I would be happy to spend $50 on a big budget MetroidVania, but this doesn't feel any bigger than Strider 2014. Hell it looks maybe even worse graphically than Strider 2014. I'd take pixels and sprites over the smooth XBLA look that the game has.

I was hoping it did well to encourage other people to invest in the genre, but tbh we're better off with indies. Nothing good comes out of committees and boardrooms.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It released at a terrible time. Its a really good game though. I think it would have benefitted from a lower introductory price, then going to full price later. I plan to get it eventually.

I think games at the moment all want that instant engagement from a f2p/GaaS or front loaded sales. Give it time to breathe, the quality is there and it will sell over time. Its been out for like two weeks.

But the game industry needs to wake up. On the one hand they are pushing games we never finish or are on the seasonal treadmill or they are making bloated single player like the 140 hour Valhalla. We have limited time. Could see this coming a mile off.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game is good, but in my opinion wasn't worth full price. I think a lot of people are more sensible than me and held off. I'd be happy with my purchase if it was $30, maybe $40.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
It released at a terrible time. Its a really good game though. I think it would have benefitted from a lower introductory price, then going to full price later. I plan to get it eventually.

I think games at the moment all want that instant engagement from a f2p/GaaS or front loaded sales. Give it time to breathe, the quality is there and it will sell over time. Its been out for like two weeks.

But the game industry needs to wake up. On the one hand they are pushing games we never finish or are on the seasonal treadmill or they are making bloated single player like the 140 hour Valhalla. We have limited time. Could see this coming a mile off.

Released at a terrible time? Sure everybody and their mother is playing Palword right now but nobody saw that coming and there weren't any other big releases. Fact is, 2D games don't sell that much. Except for Mario.

cormack12

Gold Member
Released at a terrible time? Sure everybody and their mother is playing Palword right now but nobody saw that coming and there weren't any other big releases. Fact is, 2D games don't sell that much. Except for Mario.
Not necessarily that horror bag, but people have got a lot of big games going on already as well as some in the play pile. We're about to drop rebirth, mario and Donkey kong, persona 3, tomb raider remastered and still have LaD etc.

I'm not saying it would have moved the needle to 1 million or anything but if it launched in a better window it might have had a chance to hit 500,000 imo

Flabagast

The game is in the top 3 metroidvanias I've ever played and probably has the best combat system. The story quality surprised me and I'm loving it. Too many people sleeping on this game but ubisoft recent reputation not helping.
Boss in this game might be the best Metroidvania bosses I have encountered.

King Darius, Varham and Menolias fights especially are truly sublime in the hardest difficulty.

Top Bottom