• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is going on with the new Indiana Jones game?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont see how this can be a first person game.

First person games are more for shooters or games where the identity of the character isnt important. Third person is better suited for moving around or doing crazy jumps and seeing your character (Indy with his hat).

Robb

Gold Member
Two years isn’t t exactly a lot of time. That teaser showed absolutely nothing so my guess is development had just started.

I’m curious to see what Machine Games come up with, although I’d rather get Wolfenstein 3 from them than this.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
1280x720.jpg

SantaC

Two years isn’t t exactly a lot of time.
I dont get it. Dev tools are better than ever and the studios has more people. Why is development time much longer? We should stop blaming HD content since we have been in the HD era for 15 years now.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

I've already become desensitized to a game that was meant for 3rd person, suddenly becoming 1st person only.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think actual gameplay for cyberpunk was ever going to be 3rd person, pretty sure they were just originally intending to have 3rd person dialog scenes....

Robb

Gold Member
Why is development time much longer?
I’m no dev, but my guess is everything is also much bigger end more complex today. Bigger environments, more detailed vistas, better animations, better voice work, more bugs to iron out etc. etc. etc.

I’m sure if they made a 2D side-scrolling Indiana Jones game they’d be able to push it out in a year.

I'd lose interest in this game entirely if they reduced Indiana Jones to a FPS. Indy is a character that needs to be front and center in a game.
Definitely.

I'd like to see them offer some kind of university hub too where you could see Indy in his bow tie and find clues and research stuff.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Publishers announce when they start a project, people bitch when there's nothing to show for years.

Publishers wait until the game is close to ready, people bitch about lazy devs not doing anything.

Publishers don't show anything until there's anything worth showing, there's obvious problems with management.

Publishers show alpha footage, there's obvious problems with incompetent devs.

There is no way for devs to make people happy who are bound and determined to make sure they loudly explain how every choice they make is a fuck-up.

You're right and it's really the template of doom.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The thing is if they make this 3rd person it will immediately get compared to Uncharted and Naughty Dog have spent years building those worlds and adventures.

They have a lot of pressure to deliver all the "set piece" moments and for it to play as good as if not better than uncharted.

If it is first person it kills my interest entirely but I suppose it may still work.

Chukhopops

Publishers announce when they start a project, people bitch when there's nothing to show for years.

Publishers wait until the game is close to ready, people bitch about lazy devs not doing anything.

Publishers don't show anything until there's anything worth showing, there's obvious problems with management.

Publishers show alpha footage, there's obvious problems with incompetent devs.

There is no way for devs to make people happy who are bound and determined to make sure they loudly explain how every choice they make is a fuck-up.
Seriously this - nobody even knows when it’s targeting release and people are already choking on their Hatorade, foaming at the mouth that it’s in development hell somehow.

Games have a 5-6 year dev cycle those days, no point showing anything years before release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I thought Harrison Ford looked too old in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and that was 14yrs ago.

I’m hoping the game is unrelated to the movie, and gives us Indiana in his prime.

I think a first person Indiana Jones could work if the melee combat is well done. Gunplay would be solid, and first person whipping action/grappling is totally doable.

But- I agree that third person would be preferable.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Where is the wolverine footage??!!!

Man it’s ready when it’s ready, am sure when it was teased they had just signed the agreement and had only just started working in the game.

Ozriel

M$FT
Considering who's involved it's probably being mismanaged and will drop 5 years from now and be very underwhelming

Wanna point out which of MachineGames past few games fit this bill?

Another Microsoft game, another no show - All of their games get announced then vanish into thin air with zero gameplay or information for years.

Poor studio management by Phil Spendser.

I believe the rumour that literally all of their games have been in development hell.

Its no wonder they try to buy their way out of this mess.

The game was announced Jan 2021, before the acquisition was finalized. A day after Lucasfilm announced their gaming arm…so you can infer the timing of the announcement.

What does the timing of announcement and/or additional media have to do with studio management?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wanna point out which of MachineGames past few games fit this bill?

The game was announced Jan 2021, before the acquisition was finalized. A day after Lucasfilm announced their gaming arm…so you can infer the timing of the announcement.

What does the timing of announcement and/or additional media have to do with studio management?
Look if they get the game out in a timely manner, and it’s quality, good on them. However I’d be willing to bet money that won’t happen, simply based on Microsoft’s track record.

Poor studio management is based off the fact that they’ve had fuck all for first party exclusives since basically launch. And that’s me being nice, this dates back to the Xbox One days. Absolutely nothing again this year.

Forza, Halo and a flight sim. It’s not good enough. I’ll start believing once they start delivering

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Look if they get the game out in a timely manner, and it’s quality, good on them. However I’d be willing to bet money that won’t happen, simply based on Microsoft’s track record.

Poor studio management is based off the fact that they’ve had fuck all for first party exclusives since basically launch. And that’s me being nice, this dates back to the Xbox One days. Absolutely nothing again this year.

Forza, Halo and a flight sim. It’s not good enough. I’ll start believing once they start delivering

Management for Bethesda Games is left in place, post acquisition. It runs EXACTLY the way it's run in the past. So you should really be looking at MachineGames track record.

Being slow out the gate with first party AAA content isn't inherently 'mismanagement'. Pipelines and schedules exist...and COVID's just played havoc with this one. Everything looks set to fully recalibrate in 2023.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is literally the first time I'm hearing about this lol.

Normally my answer to the question from thread title would be "hopefully nothing", but seeing how Machine Games was involved, I'm at least curious.

I'm guessing that Bethesda acquisition may have put some breaks on this. Hopefully that won't spell trouble for MG. If they were in the middle of a production on a project that was then cancelled then it means they won't be able to ship a game for quite a long time, which usually spells out financial losses on shareholder reviews because of upkeep costs for a studio that has no product to sell.

Regardless, I hope that they are simultaneously in the production for the next Wolfenstein game. I need it.

feynoob

Banned
It was not me doing it.

We know why you "remembered" Wolverine...

Also, Spider 2 is next year. So, it's clear It'll be the focus of Insomniac.
Because both games are technically in production. Since we haven't seen any gameplay for both of them.

CeeJay

They'll want to get on the hype train for the new movie which isn't due to release until Summer 2023. I would expect the game to release around the same window.

They can feel free to take their time making this game. Meanwhile, they're improving tech for Wolfenstein 3. I'm fine with it being a launch title for PS6

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Andersson will act as design director on the title and work in parallel with creative director Axel Torvenius – who was previously art director for the Wolfenstein games – and with executive producer Jerk Gustafsson at the helm.

The design director will be familiar with his new colleagues, as like many at the Swedish studio, he previously worked at Starbreeze. Andersson also contributed to many of MachineGames’ previous titles as a freelance designer.

In total, more than 20 developers who worked on 2007’s The Darkness are on the Indiana Jones team, VGC understands.

In addition, Andersson spent several years at LucasArts around a decade ago, where he was originally hired to work on another cancelled Indiana Jones game.

Since leaving LucasArts, Andersson created the BAFTA-winning indie game Yoku’s Island Express and Switch art title Colors Live.

“I’ve now taken the next big step, which is to join MachineGames as Design Director on Indiana Jones,” he said in a statement.

“This is also redemption. When I accepted the offer to go to San Francisco in 2009, it was to lead the design on an Indiana Jones game, but that game got cancelled before I even got there.

“Now, I get a chance to do what I originally hoped to, but this time I get to do it with some of my oldest and best friends. Joining MachineGames is like coming home – amazing people I worked with during Riddick and Darkness, but also teeming with new ones, whose talent daily blow me away.”

He added: “I’m so excited about what we are building, and the way we get to do it – featuring one of most iconic characters ever, in collaboration with my friends at Lucasfilm (hi Craig!), published by one the biggest publishers in the world, and doing it at an amazing studio like MachineGames.

“This will be something very special.”

light2x

The thing is if they make this 3rd person it will immediately get compared to Uncharted and Naughty Dog have spent years building those worlds and adventures.

They have a lot of pressure to deliver all the "set piece" moments and for it to play as good as if not better than uncharted.

If it is first person it kills my interest entirely but I suppose it may still work.
I want something new and different. We already have Tomb Raider and Uncharted.

Imagine if they make it first person and knock out of the park. It would be a first of its kind kind of game.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I would be quite surprised if it’s not multiplatform. The deal was inked prior to the acquisition, and the IP is not their properly, and belongs to Disney. Who would have wanted it on and contractually required it to be on every platform they can get it on. This is important as a way of expanding the franchise.

Microsoft buying zenimax would not magically change that.

“Maybe” microsoft could have paid Disney a chunk of money for some timed exclusivity or platform perks. They’ll have marketing rights tho.

legacy24

Another Microsoft game, another no show - All of their games get announced then vanish into thin air with zero gameplay or information for years.

I believe the rumour that literally all of their games have been in development hell.

Spendser 😂

gothmog

Gold Member
I would be quite surprised if it’s not multiplatform. The deal was inked prior to the acquisition, and the IP is not their properly, and belongs to Disney. Who would have wanted it on and contractually required it to be on every platform they can get it on. This is important as a way of expanding the franchise.

Microsoft buying zenimax would not magically change that.

“Maybe” microsoft could have paid Disney a chunk of money for some timed exclusivity or platform perks. They’ll have marketing rights tho.
If the game is good enough I do not care if it is platform exclusive. Spider-Man is a game worth owning a PlayStation for. I can only hope this game ends up that good.

mdkirby

If the game is good enough I do not care if it is platform exclusive. Spider-Man is a game worth owning a PlayStation for. I can only hope this game ends up that good.
Makes little difference to me, aside from the fact I prefer the PlayStation ecosystem, as I hate the xbox ui and the elite controller is crap vs dual sense. But if the only way to play it is on the series x, I’ll grab it off gamespass and boot it up.

I just don’t see how that makes sense from a contractural or business perspective for Disney.

If the deal was inked now; and revealed now; then it would be a different matter, as microsoft would have built exclusivity into the contract and Disney would have been working under the expectation that that is what microsoft would want; and that they would want it day one on gamespass.

As it is I would think microsoft probably had to hand over a sizeable sum to Disney, post acquisition, just to be able to secure it for gamespass day one.

Ozriel

M$FT
Who would have wanted it on and contractually required it to be on every platform they can get it on. This is important as a way of expanding the franchise.

From all indications, Bethesda pitched the game to Disney, and it’s an IP that hasn’t had a game made in a very long time. Very unlikely this is an MLB type thing where there’s contractual requirement to put the game on all platforms.

Bottom line is, we don’t know.

Makes little difference to me, aside from the fact I prefer the PlayStation ecosystem, as I hate the xbox ui and the elite controller is crap vs dual sense. But if the only way to play it is on the series x, I’ll grab it off gamespass and boot it up.

I just don’t see how that makes sense from a contractural or business perspective for Disney.

If the deal was inked now; and revealed now; then it would be a different matter, as microsoft would have built exclusivity into the contract and Disney would have been working under the expectation that that is what microsoft would want; and that they would want it day one on gamespass.

As it is I would think microsoft probably had to hand over a sizeable sum to Disney, post acquisition, just to be able to secure it for gamespass day one.

From what we know of the Spiderman deal, Disney really just wants the games made. Indiana Jones isn’t also a massive gaming IP, so I doubt a ‘sizeable sum’ would be involved in any contractual renegotiation for Gamepass.

Certainly, there’s no way this doesn’t come out on Gamepass day one.

Godot25

Banned

Lol. You know that this game was announced by Bethesda before Microsoft's acquisition was complete right?

Cleary, you don't. That's why you have written this bullshit :messenger_grinning:

Godot25

Banned
MachineGames was involved in Doom Eternal as well
Yup. Because Bethesda's studios are often collaborating between each other. I remember one story that one of the demons in Doom (2016) was created by Tango Gameworks.

And of course, Roundhouse is now helping with Redfall. And Wolfenstein Youngblood was a collaboration between Arkane Lyon and MachineGames.

gothmog

Gold Member

It will be on PC I'm sure as well so there's that if you're not an Xbox person.

mdkirby

It will be on PC I'm sure as well so there's that if you're not an Xbox person.
I have a series X and ps5, so I can play it regardless. Since changing industry to apps from games I’m now a Mac user which I don’t really game on, so no gaming pc (unless u count a steam deck I guess). I like the sofa and tv, and would be super anti social to my wife to sit in the home office gaming.

I’m just looking at this from a business perspective based on when the deal must have been struck.

It was announced shortly after the acquisition, deals like that take ages to plan, pitch and negotiate, and sign. And it would be frankly quite bizarre to announce it publicly the moment after it was signed. All of that would have happened when they were a third party studio, they would have pitched it to Disney with that in mind, and with the addressable market of a multi platform game, then signed it on that understanding.

Just because they were subsequently acquired doesn’t mean they can magically release it only on gamespass/pc without re-opening negotiation. This is also compatible with MS statements that exclusivity of the games released via their publisher acquisitions will be considered on a “case by case basis”. This is why whilst not impossible for it to be exclusively on MS platforms, I would be surprised if that were the case.

They're probably rebooting it because of the new movie. You'll play as Indiana Jones' female replacement...and like it, you bigot.

It obviously seems like the game is coming out after the new movie so I'm wondering if you're going to play as someone other than Indiana Jones for some duration of the game?

Anyways, I've loved most Indiana Jones game if not all of them. Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb are my two favorites. I have a lot of fond memories of both of those games.

Top Bottom