• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is going on with the new Indiana Jones game?

SantaC

A teaser trailer dropped 2 years ago, but been radio silence ever since. You would think that Microsoft would push this now in time for the new movie.

Does MachineGames have the talent to make it right? Their games have been everything from awesome to so-so.

Is this game multiplatform or Xbox exclusive? I am excited for it if it is 3rd person, but machinegames only make first person shooters so who knows. All I know is that I am ready for a new Indiana Jones games. It has been 100 years...

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Another Microsoft game, another no show - All of their games get announced then vanish into thin air with zero gameplay or information for years.

Poor studio management by Phil Spendser.

I believe the rumour that literally all of their games have been in development hell.

Its no wonder they try to buy their way out of this mess.

Last edited:

Warablo

Wasn't this game kinda leaked to be in development so they probably just threw together a shitty teaser.

i will laugh my ass off, if they decide to do this first person, for a stupid reason like machine games having no experience with 3rd person.

and unfortunately i can see it happening.
I've already become desensitized to a game that was meant for 3rd person, suddenly becoming 1st person only.

maxresdefault.jpg

Must be 1st person. I don't get why they got Machine Games to do it otherwise. Would love to be wrong. At the same time, would also be great if they found a way to differentiate it from Uncharted, ironic as that sounds. Emperor's Tomb is the only real decent adaptation I've played.

Must be 1st person. I don't get why they got Machine Games to do it otherwise. Would love to be wrong. At the same time, would also be great if they found a way to differentiate it from Uncharted, ironic as that sounds. Emperor's Tomb is the only real decent adaptation I've played.
I won't mind if it's first person. But I will mind all the people whining about it being first person.

ungalo

I don't think it's going to be first person, definitely wouldn't make sense to me. That's also why i think the wait is not that long. They're doing a differend kind of game.

I strongly disliked Wolfenstein 2 so i'm happy they're doing something else.

Last edited:
In full irony, they have a tall task ahead of them with this. A game that will almost certainly be compared immediately to Tomb Raider and Uncharted.

They would probably be better off making it a first-person game heavy on puzzle and action, but first person platforming isn't great.

I mean, if you go to the expense of securing the Indiana Jones I.P wouldn't you want to make it a third person experience to show us the classic Indy hat and leather jacket combo?

A Harrison Ford likeness would be expected too.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I mean, if you go to the expense of securing the Indiana Jones I.P wouldn't you want to make it a third person experience to show us the classic Indy hat and leather jacket combo?

Which Indy likeness ?Young indy or the nowadays Harrison Ford?

Topher

Gold Member

I'd lose interest in this game entirely if they reduced Indiana Jones to a FPS. Indy is a character that needs to be front and center in a game.

Ozriel

M$FT
i will laugh my ass off, if they decide to do this first person, for a stupid reason like machine games having no experience with 3rd person.

and unfortunately i can see it happening.

You mean like how Horizon Zero Dawn was a first person game since Guerilla had a history of making first person shooters?

Oh, wait.

Experienced devs have no issue with pivoting.

Give it time!

You'll see!

Only a few more years!

Have faith!

It's coming for sure!

In the meantime: subscribe to GamePass!

Apparently, MS first party AAA games have to be developed within 2 years or they’re in crisis 🤡

I think I liked it better when the warring was more subtle than this.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't mind if it's first person. But I will mind all the people whining about it being first person.
I much prefer action games to be 1st person so I will be happy if it it's first-person view. Like you the whining will annoy the hell out of me though. :messenger_winking:

Wulfer

The game can't be worse off than the current movie. (After 5 tested endings everyone still walks out mad!)

Last edited:
Publishers announce when they start a project, people bitch when there's nothing to show for years.

Publishers wait until the game is close to ready, people bitch about lazy devs not doing anything.

Publishers don't show anything until there's anything worth showing, there's obvious problems with management.

Publishers show alpha footage, there's obvious problems with incompetent devs.

There is no way for devs to make people happy who are bound and determined to make sure they loudly explain how every choice they make is a fuck-up.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'd prefer this title in third-person, just because I think they have a lot of fp games already, but some of the classic IJ games have been fp so maybe they go that way. 🤷‍♂️

I lean more towards third-person anyway, so,it's more of a personal preference.

SantaC

Didnt machinegames manage to release their previous games after 2-3 years of development?

I guess the times are different now when it takes 5 years to release a game

Mr Hyde

Didn't know this game even existed. Or I have forgot about it. Take your sweet time. It's better we get an Indiana Jones game in quality of Raiders of the Lost Ark than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. A trailer will most likely drop next E3.

EruditeHobo

Which is why it's so good there are plenty of games that are third person. Something for everyone. I like both.

Which adventure/exploration based 1st person games do you like? What is the model for this being made in 1st person? The only thing I can think of would be something like... Portal 2, maybe? Even that I'm not sure feels very right.

If this plays like Elder Scrolls I'm going to be pretty disappointed.
I don't know if there's any way to do Indy's whip justice in 1st person.

Excited for this hopefully it's good I love me some Uncharted and since that's done I need something to fill that void because Tombraider doesn't do it for me even though they're good games.

Which adventure/exploration based 1st person games do you like? What is the model for this being made in 1st person? The only thing I can think of would be something like... Portal 2, maybe? Even that I'm not sure feels very right.

If this plays like Elder Scrolls I'm going to be pretty disappointed.
I don't know if there's any way to do Indy's whip justice in 1st person.
Firstly, I highly doubt it'll be first person. Secondly, my point is that whether it's first or third person, it's ultimately the design decision that MG decided upon that they felt best fitted the vision they have of the game. And that's why the whining about stuff like that is typically very annoying. I literally don't have a preference either way, if anything it's the fact that the Indy IP is so far removed from their previous works that makes this game so.. intriguing.. to say the least.

The obvious answer is the game was announced the moment the ink dried on the contract, and footage won't be shown until there's anything worth showing.

Firstly, I highly doubt it'll be first person. Secondly, my point is that whether it's first or third person, it's ultimately the design decision that MG decided upon that they felt best fitted the vision they have of the game. And that's why the whining about stuff like that is typically very annoying. I literally don't have a preference either way, if anything it's the fact that the Indy IP is so far removed from their previous works that makes this game so.. intriguing.. to say the least.
It appears that way at first glance. However, Machine Games probably has mountains of research on Nazi weapons, conspiracies and history, and since the Indy game will be set in the old movie timeline, this will be useful. Machine Games also comes from Starbreeze, which had experience of adapting a movie into a game successful (Chronicles of Riddick). On top of this, both Starbreeze and Machine Games seem pretty adept at labyrinth level design in fairly tight spaces, which bodes well for Indy's inevitable tomb levels.

Excited for this hopefully it's good I love me some Uncharted and since that's done I need something to fill that void because Tombraider doesn't do it for me even though they're good games.
The latest TR dialed it back some but Tomb Raider was best when it was sexy capable woman vs giant derelict tombs. Challenging platforming. Twisty puzzles and traps. Quiet exploration. Awe inspiring scale. No angsty shit, limited bombastic set pieces. They should take a good long look at those with the new Indy games.

Top Bottom