• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Rest Mode is just completely broken on PS5?

Biggest issue I experience from rest mode is no audio output when I turn it on.

A friend of mine has issues with his console reading his ssd after leaving rest mode.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Seems like it's your ps5 issue

Rest mode always works for me

Bought it since 2021

StueyDuck

I’m assuming unplugging my Seagate fixed it, though I disabled HDMI CEC as well just in case.
i had a feeling it was the HDD, i had the same issues of shutting down the console like you say the first week i owned the PS5 and i was getting freaked out.

but yeah turned out it was the Shitty HDD

hope it continues to remain working for you

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I have a weird issue where 50% of the time the controller won't wake the console from sleep and I have to shut the console off and back on before it will recognize the controller is on, it's been doing it for 2 years now, never fixed

Ha! I have this with the original controller, not with the one that I got later. Super annoying and you don't hear much about this issue...

devilNprada

The only issue I've had with rest mode on Ps5 is that it often refuses to update games for some reason.
Rocket League in particular seems to never update during rest mode which is annoying as half of the point of me leaving it in rest mode is not having to deal with unexpected updates.
My primary console does, the other console I typically play on does not... Do you have your primary console setup?

I use rest mode exclusively with my lg OLED with never an issue. I do it with MW2, spider man 2, Jedi survivor. Never any issues.
I wonder if you have some TV settings messing with it. I know I had to turn some things off on lg to make it work properly without having to turn it on twice.

Last edited:
PS5 is kind of annoying in that many different things can happen automatically without prompting you that will close your game or otherwise change the state of your console. Here's a few settings that can help prevent that from happening:

1. Disable HDMI CEC in settings, to avoid turning the console on/off and switching inputs when you use the TV.

Go to Settings --> System --> HDMI and ensure Enable HDMI Device Link is turned OFF.

2. Ensure your USB ports are always outputting power in rest mode. This is especially important if you have an external drive you run PS4 games off. The default setting is 3 hours so if you use rest mode overnight, the power loss will close/crash your game and may corrupt the drive.

Go to Settings --> System --> Power Saving --> Features Available in Rest Mode --> and set Supply Power to USB Ports to Always.

3. Disable automatic software installs in rest mode.

Go to Settings --> Saved Data and Game/App Settings --> Automatic Updates --> turn off Auto-Install in Rest Mode (Auto-Download is fine).

64bitbros

I have a hypothesis that it may be something to do with a glitch between the PS5 and the TV’s CEC where when the PS5 wakes up from rest mode and automatically turns on the tv a signal is being sent back to the PS5 from the tv and the PS5 incorrectly interprets this as saying that the TV is shutting down which makes the PS5 go back into rest mode.

Of course my hypothesis is wrong if you don’t have CEC enabled on the PS5. If you do, try turning it off. To do this go to Settings, then System, the go down to HDMI and turn off “Enable HDMI Device Link”.

Try doing this and see how you go. (Unfortunately this will make the PS5 less convenient to use because it won’t be able turn the tv on automatically when you start it up.)
I had the same problem and this worked for me then.

The only time I have had problems with the PS5's rest mode is when we have had powercuts, which is extremely rare and has only happened twice since I bought the console at launch. I have been playing Spider-Man 2 all week resuming from rest mode with no issues.

I always hate the way the PS5 complains about not turning off the console properly then proceeds to give you a stern warning not to do it again before it runs through the drive checking routine. It's not like I do this on purpose, Sony! Also, my Xbox Series X never does this and is just happy to boot up post-power cut with just a slightly longer initial startup complete with Xbox logo.

Rest mode itself hasn’t been a problem for me, but starting suspended games from rest mode seems to lead to some wonky-ness sometimes.

Top Bottom