• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Rest Mode is just completely broken on PS5?

King Dazzar

The Xbox quick resume has been pretty average for server based games too. Sounds similar. It just adds extra quit/restart steps to speed things up as those lobbies are dead and your game hangs while it recovers etc.

Feels like PS vs xbox karma balance.
For me they both have pros and cons. For Xbox, the quick resume holds itself regardless of power state and can be applied to multiple titles. But whilst the PS5 only holds one game in a quick start state and requires sleep mode, it is far more reliable when it comes to games that contact servers - for example AC Valhalla etc. It also has the occasionally useful resume activity cards. Swings and roundabouts.

Unknown?

I honestly haven’t played my PS5 for a while but I picked it back up for Spiderman.
90% of the time I try to wake my PS5 from rest, it shuts itself back off.
Sucks.
Guess I should only use it for charging controllers and downloading games.
Got it.
I have this problem a lot but it only started happening when I upgraded my TV to LG C2. It will sometimes turn on out of rest mode only to tell me it's going into rest mode and o have to get up to physically hit the on button.

Must be some setting with the TV or combo of TV and receiver that it doesn't like.

Divus

Have the same problem with our PS5. Not always, but somewhat often when you try and wake it up it takes multiple attempts to start. I never play the PS5, but my son said once it took him around 5 minutes to get it to stop restarting.

I’ve seen him spend a couple of minutes before so I don’t think he’s exaggerating much if any.

PS5 has done it on 3 different TV’s several cables, and at his friends house. Pretty sure it is just some issue with the PS5 itself.

saintjules

It has been unreliable since launch, yes.

It has? I admit, I had an issue once in the first month of having it and that was when playing those PS collection games (ie. Infamous). But it's been perfect ever since. Speaking for myself of course.

Crayon

I had a scare in the lauanch week so I didn't use it for like 3 months till I started hearing it was good and fixed. Since then it's always on rest and no issue.

GymWolf

It has? I admit, I had an issue once in the first month of having it and that was when playing those PS collection games (ie. Infamous). But it's been perfect ever since. Speaking for myself of course.
I have been reading about problems with rest mode since launch and i had mine turning off a couple of times aswell, i stopped using it alltogether years ago.

No biggie, i only used it for games download, i like to keep my console turned off when not in use.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Had this happen to my launch PS5 immediately after the 1-year warranty ran out. Ended up opening it up and reflowing some of the components that weren't soldered on very well. Haven't experienced the issue since.

The Stig

Damn. sorry to hear about that. I know it doesnt help but it's been flawless for me in the year and a half Ive had mine.

Also I play the ever loving shit out of it too.

Aaron Olive

I honestly haven’t played my PS5 for a while but I picked it back up for Spiderman.
Sucks.
Got it.

I have this problem a lot but it only started happening when I upgraded my TV to LG C2. It will sometimes turn on out of rest mode only to tell me it's going into rest mode and o have to get up to physically hit the on button.

Must be some setting with the TV or combo of TV and receiver that it doesn't like.

If you are an LG OLED user like myself this is a common SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC), One Touch Play etc. issue where the PS5 will do this every now and then. LG C1 user here.

There is no solution to stop it from happening, just two companies not working with each others despite Sony buying panels from LG.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Never had the issue. The only thing that happens that's annoying is when I lose power it has to do the whole reboot thing. Which is a drag.

You said it had been awhile. There was probably a firmware update between your playing sessions that messed it up. I use it everyday and have never noticed any issue if I am playing fairly regularly.

Does anyone have this regularly happening with 24 hours or less between sessions?

Labadal

We have had this kind of thread before. I'll repeat myself. I tried rest mode twice since launch day, and both times, the console locked itself up. It was scary enough for me not to try it ever again.

Murdoch

It's completely bolloxed on my Xbox series console as well. The only console I've had it reliably work on is the Nintendo Switch. Even the Ps4 has it's problems but I would have thought the next generation would have nailed it 🫣

X-Wing

If your TV has one of those settings to connected devices / on an of with it, try disabling it. I had issues caused by that on my TV.

Nothing abnormal on my end and I keep it on rest 100% of the time. The power has even shut off a few times over the years and it's still fine.

FrankWza

That might be it, always had problems with my shitty Seagate external. Unplug it, see if that clears things up.
This is most likely your issue. I remember people having issues with this at launch. Some drives need to be stopped before they're unplugged. It also happens when the SSD expansion heats up if you're playing a game off of it and go into rest mode. That's why thermal pads are needed for the bay.

Sethbacca

I've used rest mode since launch day without issue, I kind of assumed these issues were resolved for everyone else long ago.

gothmog

Gold Member
Sucks.
Got it.
Turn it on. Make sure it's up to date. Shut it down completely. Pull the plug for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and test standby. If that doesn't work make sure you have a compatible SSD if you have one hooked up. Otherwise contact support. It shouldn't be doing that and hopefully they have a solution.

Markio128

I haven’t used rest mode to suspend games, but I have used it to charge my VR controllers. Most games, you can just select continue from the UI - Spider-Man 2 literally gets you back to where you left it within a couple of seconds.

Can't say I never had a problem with it being damn near always in rest mode but any would be so infrequent as to not even be worth mentioning. Also no external drive.

RPS37

I’m convinced it has something to do with the shitty sea gate drive I attached to the back USB slot. But it could definitely have something to do with CEC and my LG C2.
Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone.
I’ll update if something I try starts to work.

NickFire

If I'm going to play a game then I usually restart the console when it has been in the rest state. It seems less prone to disconnects with the server for whatever I'm playing.

devilNprada

Yep, it does that for me as well. I wake it up from rest and then it shuts down again. When I wake it up a second time it always stays on though.
I have an older TV which the power button is hard to use and the TV lags on turning on.. so if i turn on the PS first then try and turn on the TV (with difficult power button) the act of turning the TV off (and on again) typically shuts down the PS. (I make sure the TV is on before I power up the PS).

The other Playstation connected to the new TV works great always though.. Turn on PS, TV also turns on, "hey google turn off den TV" always also turns off the PS...
Rest mode is quirky because it's not like the PS4 when you wake it in that it doesn't wake directly in the game, it's a home screen that you have to go into your game from..... I hate that, I preferred the PS4 in that way.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Sucks.
Got it.
Have you got any storage devices hanging off the back via a USB drawing excess power? Or do you have a NVME SSD installed in the console? Or are these network games that have been paused, with your router losing internet connection while the game was in rest mode.

Mine has been fine after the first few months of firmware updates, but my PS5 has only one pad attached by USB, and has no NVME upgrade, and is plugged in via a clean power feed via an UPS.

I'd check your power lead hasn't come loose at the back somehow, despite if it looks fully connected, or check you haven't accidentally connected to a tuner that has a hdmi port expecting to carry power.

Maybe try disabling hdmi CEC on the PS5 as it might be the TV or a tuner causing the shutdown.

GymWolf

I've left my console on rest mode since released and never had any issues at all.
Yes, and i'm sure many other millions of people didnt had problem neither, exactly like many people had a surviving launch xbox360, it's not something that happen to everyone.

Pedro Motta

Yes, and i'm sure many other millions of people didnt had problem neither, exactly like many people had a surviving launch xbox360, it's not something that happen to everyone.
Then, it has been unstable since launch FOR YOU. Not for the other 99.9% of people.

Kilau

I had issues with my external drive until I got an enclosure that had its own separate power cable that I plugged into a USB hub so it’s always powered.

Dr_Ifto

Yeah seems ok with mine. May need to go to safe mode and run that disk cleanup thing. Its not completely broken.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
After a freak power surge during a storm killed my PS4 Pro in Rest mode a few years back (despite it being plugged into a surge protector), ill never again use Rest mode on any console. PS5 always gets powered down totally after im done.

Fbh

The only issue I've had with rest mode on Ps5 is that it often refuses to update games for some reason.
Rocket League in particular seems to never update during rest mode which is annoying as half of the point of me leaving it in rest mode is not having to deal with unexpected updates.

But I've never had stuff like the console locking up or restarting or anything like that. At most some games like GOW Ragnarok seem to stutter for 3-4 seconds when returning from rest mode, but then they work completely fine.

Muffdraul

If my PS5 was doing that I'd assume it was defective and send it to be repaired or more likely just replace it, tbh. But mine has never done anything like what you describe.

omegasc

My car headlights stopped working the other day so I just don't drive it when it's dark. I guess car headlights are shitty.
jk I got it fixed :messenger_beaming:

GymWolf

Then, it has been unstable since launch FOR YOU. Not for the other 99.9% of people.
You just need a fast reasearch on the internet to see that it happened to other people, spoiler for you, not everyone that owns a ps5 post on gaf.
And even in this very topic some people had different problems, not just the console shutting off.

Just from a 30 sec search:

However, a lot of users have reported that PS5 Rest Mode has caused various issues since November 2020 and the PS5 Rest Mode issue has become one of the most common PS5 problems. Some of them reported that the DualSense inputs couldn’t be recognized by the console; some lost saved data; some even encounter PS5 console crashing or hardware failures.

My first post was a bit too harsh, i give you that.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Trying to remember how I fixed will update or reply when go through settings PlayStation had this issue with my ps5 LG cx

RPS37

I’m assuming unplugging my Seagate fixed it, though I disabled HDMI CEC as well just in case.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I’m assuming unplugging my Seagate fixed it, though I disabled HDMI CEC as well just in case.
If I had to bet it's the HDMI CEC. I had to turn it off for an issue I had where when turning the TV off after using a different input source the PS5 would turn itself on, immediately turning the TV on again. It was like it wasn't distinguishing between power on and power off, which could have been my TV sending mixed signals, but the PS5 was the only console doing it. When I was looking for ways to stop that I saw a few posts in the OLED gaming reddit that described your issue with some LG TV's where the system would go back to sleep immediately after turning it on. Not sure what kind of TV you have but disabling CEC fixed it for those folks.

RPS37

If I had to bet it's the HDMI CEC. I had to turn it off for an issue I had where when turning the TV off after using a different input source the PS5 would turn itself on, immediately turning the TV on again. It was like it wasn't distinguishing between power on and power off, which could have been my TV sending mixed signals, but the PS5 was the only console doing it. When I was looking for ways to stop that I saw a few posts in the OLED gaming reddit that described your issue with some LG TV's where the system would go back to sleep immediately after turning it on. Not sure what kind of TV you have but disabling CEC fixed it for those folks.
It’s an LG C2

th4tguy

I have a weird issue where 50% of the time the controller won't wake the console from sleep and I have to shut the console off and back on before it will recognize the controller is on, it's been doing it for 2 years now, never fixed
If you ever connected your controller to something else via Bluetooth, make sure that device has disconnected / forgotten the controller. Also reset the controller. I had this issue and finally realized that half the time it was connecting to a tablet upstairs instead of the system.

Mephisto40

If you ever connected your controller to something else via Bluetooth, make sure that device has disconnected / forgotten the controller. Also reset the controller. I had this issue and finally realized that half the time it was connecting to a tablet upstairs instead of the system.
I'll give that a go, I do occasionally get a message asking me to re register a device but I could never figure out what device it was talking about

Top Bottom