• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Rest Mode is just completely broken on PS5?

RPS37

I honestly haven’t played my PS5 for a while but I picked it back up for Spiderman.
90% of the time I try to wake my PS5 from rest, it shuts itself back off.
Sucks.
Guess I should only use it for charging controllers and downloading games.
Got it.

SJRB

Gold Member
"Works fine for me" is a shit reply in troubleshooting threads, but I've never had this issue with my current PS5.

With my first PS5 the console not booting correctly from rest mode was the first sign of trouble. Then came disc drive errors, download queue problems and botched installations. Sent it to Sony for repairs and got a new one.

So keep an eye out for other quirky behavior.

sigmaZ

I honestly haven’t played my PS5 for a while but I picked it back up for Spiderman.
Sucks.
Got it.
Yeah. Just started happening to me recently. didn't have this problem back when I was playing FF16.

StueyDuck

"Works fine for me" is a shit reply in troubleshooting threads, but I've never had this issue with my current PS5.

With my first PS5 the console not booting correctly from rest mode was the first sign of trouble. Then came disc drive errors, download queue problems and botched installations. Sent it to Sony for repairs and got a new one.

So keep an eye out for other quirky behavior.
The thread title isn't "help me troubleshoot" it's saying the rest mode is completely broken.

So if the question is "is it completely broken" my response is no because it works completely fine for me.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I can’t say I’ve run into this issue myself, but I also don’t play my PS5 that much. When I do though, I can’t think of a time where it’s screwed up. Have you tried customer support?

Sucks.
Got it.
Wow in rest mode your controllers charge? Mine don't and sometimes my games don't download. The rest mode on the PS5 is unreliable.

RPS37

Literally has never happened to me ever and mine basically lives in rest mode

I had weird powering down issues when I first got my ps5 but it turned out my external hdd was causing shit
Def could have something to do with the external HDD I have attached. Might try disconnecting it when I’m not using it and see how I fare.

Mephisto40

I have a weird issue where 50% of the time the controller won't wake the console from sleep and I have to shut the console off and back on before it will recognize the controller is on, it's been doing it for 2 years now, never fixed

Last edited:

SCB3

I have 2 and its maybe happened once or twice, but I noticed it needed to rebuild/verify the External HDD so it could be related to that

Zuzu

Yep, it does that for me as well. I wake it up from rest and then it shuts down again. When I wake it up a second time it always stays on though.

TrebleShot

Hate to be one of those voices but it’s always worked flawlessly for me.

I keep mine in rest mode all the time though so maybe something to do with that?

DeVeAn

Own a launch unit and I haven’t run into this issue. Major coil whine though. Also weird thing with broken images on PSN and friends list not loading. That is an ISP thing though I believe.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Hks6p3r.png

Z O N E

If my memory serves me right, PS4s rest mode was dogshit at one point where it was bricking consoles I think?

In general Sony has had a crazy ride with Rest Mode on PS4 and PS5, where it will be good, then shit, then good. It's just full of ups and downs that I stopped using it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have never had a problem with rest mode since launch and I use it pretty often. Maybe there's something wrong with the console itself?

Shifty1897

I've used rest mode without issue since April of 2021. The behavior you're describing sounds like maybe your power outlet is losing power while it is in rest mode. Either test the outlet with something else that can measure power outages.

mrMUR_96

It's been reliable for me, I just make sure I do a full restart every so often. It sounds like your console has a genuine issue though, perhaps factory reset then contact sony if it's still an issue. That's definitely not normal behaviour for it.

PanzerCute

Never had issue with mine but maybe try to reconstruct the database, it saved me from many weird bugs at the beginning of the gen.

Roxkis_ii

Only times I've had issue with my PS5 is when using an exturnal harddrive and plugging it into a power strip instead of directly in the wall.

Zuzu

I have a hypothesis that it may be something to do with a glitch between the PS5 and the TV’s CEC where when the PS5 wakes up from rest mode and automatically turns on the tv a signal is being sent back to the PS5 from the tv and the PS5 incorrectly interprets this as saying that the TV is shutting down which makes the PS5 go back into rest mode.

Of course my hypothesis is wrong if you don’t have CEC enabled on the PS5. If you do, try turning it off. To do this go to Settings, then System, the go down to HDMI and turn off “Enable HDMI Device Link”.

Try doing this and see how you go. (Unfortunately this will make the PS5 less convenient to use because it won’t be able turn the tv on automatically when you start it up.)

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Sucks.
Got it.
Free of external hard drives? Fully updated OS? Might be related to TV and HDMI CEC settings, problems persist with CEC disabled? Enter its safe mode and rebuild database?

I dont have problems with it personally on PS5, but have had similar issues with an XSX with a specific external drive. Good luck. These things are sent to annoy us. And as the PS5 doesnt have quick resume, its good to use the sleep mode so you can quickly continue from where you left off, for me its worth getting to the bottom of.

The Xbox quick resume has been pretty average for server based games too. Sounds similar. It just adds extra quit/restart steps to speed things up as those lobbies are dead and your game hangs while it recovers etc.

Feels like PS vs xbox karma balance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom