• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is Hitman the only major stealth player left now?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There's also the Styx series.
Superb stuff. I wish those guys (I think it's either Cyanide Sturios or Spiders. One of those) made a new Thief game.
Please, wrest the IP from Square since they obviously don't know what to do with it.

It stopped being stealth after the second game.
Now stealth is just an appendage clumsily bolted on to a mediocre third person, open world collectathon of a series.

I'd argue that Unity and to a far lesser degree Origins incentivised some stealth game play. Black Flag had a really good physical layout for stealth, but the AI was so braindead that most stealth/parkour segments were treated more like setpieces or made artificially difficult. "Being spotted will result in desynchronization," etc

But yeah, it's pretty severely fallen off. It's stealth the same as TLOU2 was.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hitman is one of my top 5 games, yea the AI is shiet but i love the world design on each mission, sometimes i just love to walk around and discover new things,

I've been enjoying days gone trying to be stealthy and you can do that for most of the missions. I suggest you try it out if you haven't yet, or at least take a look.

Yeah, I heard it was one of the best. Especially after you use the 'low sales' cheat code, after that it becomes one of the most stealthiest games out there.

As long as you can finish the game from start to finish in stealth, it is a stealth game. Dishonored might not be dead we'll see after Deathloop which mgiht also have stealth. Cyberpunk 2077 is an immersive sim and I could be wrong but most of the missions can be played stealthy so I'll count it. Deus Ex HR/MD are absolutely stealth games and anyone saying otherwise is an idiot. Splinter Cell is indeed dead. The stealth in AC Valhalla is shit however I enjoyed it in Odyssey so we'll see what the future holds. Far Cry games all can be played stealth so those as aswell. Ghost Recon games while I dont like them at all I think they're stealth.

Pure stealth is certainly dead as all games are now combat and/or stealth and not just straight up stealth or fail but generally spekaing it's doing ok..dying a bit but we'll see what the future holds.

Brigandier

So ITT every game is basically a stealth game 😂

Man that bit where you can sneak up on some enemies in Ratchet and Clank such a cool stealth game....

TLOU2 is a pure stealth game. Trying to blast your way through will fail 100% of the time.

No it's not. Pure stealth is thief or the first splinter cell game. Failing stealth in TLOU2 does not end the mission or its game over nor will you fail 100% lol. It certainly can be considered a stealth game but not stealth-only.

GuinGuin

Banned
No it's not. Pure stealth is thief or the first splinter cell game. Failing stealth in TLOU2 does not end the mission or its game over nor will you fail 100% lol. It certainly can be considered a stealth game but not stealth-only.

You can't beat it without using stealth primarily. Stealth games where you fail if you get caught are awful. TLOU2 lets you fight your way clear to get back into concealment in a believable way.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games today are loaded with stealth and rpg elements but the pure stealth game other than Hitman is kinda dead.

Pure stealth genre was always rather niche, but it's my favourite. Very sad to see it's decline. Now that IO moved on from Hitman, and other heavyweights such as thief and splinter cell MIA, maybe the genre is truly going away :(

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Hopefully we'll see more tailing missions in games. Who doesnt love a taling mission? Or five?

fUDHmj4.gif

/s.

avalonzero

There is the Dishonored series, which is great for stealth, although it seems to be sort of on the back burner for now but Hitman is going to be shelved also for a bit while they do the 007 thing. I expect new titles from both eventually though.

Last edited:
You can't beat it without using stealth primarily.

Yes, you can. Running and gunning are not exactly stealthy. You're confusing things. It's more of a hide-and-seek combination of combat and stealth. It's not stealth only, it's not pure stealth. Now stop being stupid.

seeing as i have to jump in dirt and roll around like an asshole everytime a drone or helicopter flies by....i think Ghost Recon breakpoint might be a stealth game.

GuinGuin

Banned
Yes, you can. Running and gunning are not exactly stealthy. You're confusing things. It's more of a hide-and-seek combination of combat and stealth. It's not stealth only, it's not pure stealth. Now stop being stupid.

There aren't enough bullets to play it run and gun unless you're playing TLOU2 on easy mode. Did you play it on easy mode? 😂😂😂

Shubh_C63

So a larger portion of the game that is Hide & Seek doesn't translate into game having stealth as sub genre ?

Its not a pure stealth game but a laarge portion of the game expects you to stealth, so genre should qualify easily.

There aren't enough bullets to play it run and gun unless you're playing TLOU2 on easy mode. Did you play it on easy mode? 😂😂😂

No, i didnt. I played it on the hardest. It's not a pure stealth game. Stop being an idiot. I already explained 3 times what pure stealth means. Actually nvm, you're clearly trolling based on all your posts. No way anyone is that dumb. I'll just ignore you.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Hitman is all that's left and it sounds like hitman might not even be around much longer.
Quite the opposite. Hitman 3 sold great and we're definitely getting another game. I think we should be worried about IOI becoming more greedy and offering less content for more money. They're already trying to "scam" people with the Deadly Sins pass which is basically 7 escalations with some unique gear and they expect you to pay 30€ for that. Absolutely not comparable with two brand new (and great) levels from Hitman 2 season pass.

Last edited:

Flabagast

There is the Dishonored series, which is great for stealth, although it seems to be sort of on the back burner for now but Hitman is going to be shelved also for a bit while they do the 007 thing. I expect new titles from both eventually though.
To be honest Dishonored is perfectly viable to be played as a full-on action game, more so than recent Deus Ex for example which are way less fun to be played this way due to the clunkiness of their shooting mechanics, so I would not say it is "pure stealth", but that's the beauty of it.

GuinGuin

Banned
No, i didnt. I played it on the hardest. It's not a pure stealth game. Stop being an idiot. I already explained 3 times what pure stealth means. Actually nvm, you're clearly trolling based on all your posts. No way anyone is that dumb. I'll just ignore you.

Almost zero games are "pure stealth" MGS has lots of run and gun sections and tough boss battles. Tenchu had hard boss battles that required aggressive tactics. "game over" stealth games are awful and bad design.

Flabagast

Quite the opposite. Hitman 3 sold great and we're definitely getting another game. I think we should be worried about IOI becoming more greedy and offering less content for more money. They're already trying to "scam" people with the Deadly Sins pass which is basically 7 escalations with some unique gear and they expect you to pay 30€ for that. Absolutely not comparable with two brand new (and great) levels from Hitman 2 season pass.
No Hitman is frozen as of now, IoI is working on two AAA projects atm, James Bond and a yet to be announced fantasy RPG, so I don't think we will see something new for the IP for at least 5 years, and probably more.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No Hitman is frozen as of now, IoI is working on two AAA projects atm, James Bond and a yet to be announced fantasy RPG, so I don't think we will see something new for the IP for at least 5 years, and probably more.
I know they won't be doing another game right away, but I don't think the wait is going to be as long as between Absolution and 2016 Hitman. They have a pretty devoted fanbase which will accept paying a full price for 5+1 maps and some minor gameplay enhancements. I don't think you're going to abandon an easy way of earning money just like that.

brian0057

Banned
"MGS/TLOU2/Dishonored is the best stealth game ever made."

Tell me you don't know about stealth gaming without telling me you don't know about stealth gaming.

Last edited:

CC-Tron

Neo Member
Hitman is social stealth. I like it but prefer tactical stealth. Splinter Cell, Sniper Elite, Styx etc.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
so AC was never stealth?

Splinter Cell is coming to VR, cry harder. Hitman Trilogy already is.

Pretty sure AC hasnt been a stealth game for years.
Hell the last few games trying to stealth them was actually much much much much worse.
The upgrade system basically told you to NOT stealth.

I think Origins or Odyssey even made the hidden blade no longer a one hit kill so sneaking up on an enemy and hitting them was like the worse tactic to use.
When a game is actively telling you stealth tactics are stupid, you know the game has abandoned the stealth aspects.

avalonzero

To be honest Dishonored is perfectly viable to be played as a full-on action game, more so than recent Deus Ex for example which are way less fun to be played this way due to the clunkiness of their shooting mechanics, so I would not say it is "pure stealth", but that's the beauty of it.
True, but the same could be said about Hitman if you wanted to split hairs.

Top Bottom