• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 1-3 (PS4) 2016-2021

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
hitman2016pic1.jpg

If I told you Hitman was coming back (there's been many Hitman games that were second, or third options in the stealth genre to games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell and kinda just dangling in the wind not trying to throw IO Interactive under the bus) I would have been happy. I was happy they brought back Hitman.

The "Hitman" formula is very simple, traditional single player campaign or "missions", or "episodes" and we'll talk about those "episodes". From the beginning, Agent 47 is under pressure to take out targets, scramble through tight security zones and complete missions.

The areas on well done here, 10 minutes in and you're in action around the globe in places like Greenland, Morocco, and Japan.

Hitman-2-Mumbai-Walkthrough-Guide.jpg

These levels offer the best opportunities for stealth gameplay and we hear how great Metal Gear Solid is and yes those games are unbelievable but Hitman is a masterpiece of stealth.
Untitled.png

Friendly reminder that this was one of the best games of 2016.

Killing targets like Yuki Yamazaki (shadow client trial lawyer associated with Yakuza gangs) and Sierra Knox (Daughter of CEO maverick businessman Robert Knox) are necessary components of the Hitman games. You're gunning for targets in hotel rooms of the said places above, and killing inside buildings that feature modern day interiors.
sierra-knox-99276-normal.jpg

Killing these type of people are the staple of Hitman since 2016. Targets force you in tight situations battling guards, soldiers and it's as simple as that and to be honest could be 1 game all together.

ComplicatedSpanishGrassspider-size_restricted.gif

The bottom line is you have a AAA game that should be in the same breath as games like Metal Gear Solid and Dishonored. I give the games together a 8/10, gamers expected a better story, more weapons, character development etc. and with the forgettable story I dock it a point. I like how they get Burnwood involved and she does a fine job in her intel role.

There's ways to improve the franchise, the "years" or "episodes" feel gimmicky, not saying they're bad I just believe in tradition when it comes to video games and overall they're a respect to the Hitman franchise. What does GAF think of HITMANI I, HITMAN II, and HITMAN III?

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Never played the series but like the stealth genre. If purchasing the games seemed more straightforward I would have bought them already.
They're already pretty straightforward. And you have 2 options.
-If you already have the license for all 3 games, then you can fuse them together into 1 single game in Hitman 3.
-If you don't own any of the games, then you can just simply buy Hitman 3, then buy the DLC. The effect is the same as above. Though it's quite pricey.

greyshark

They're already pretty straightforward. And you have 2 options.
-If you already have the license for all 3 games, then you can fuse them together into 1 single game in Hitman 3.
-If you don't own any of the games, then you can just simply buy Hitman 3, then buy the DLC. The effect is the same as above. Though it's quite pricey.

So if I do the above, I’m basically playing Hitman 3 but with 3 games of content? Do I know/care when I’m playing hitman 1 or 2 episodes?

So I know I have some parts of Hitman 1, but searching through my license list in PlayStation settings isn't something you can do (only tab through many pages).

When I look at all of the Hitman games in the store, none show as Purchased, but is there any upgrade pack I should use knowing I have like 1-3 pieces of the first game?

Edit: "HITMAN™ - Game of the Year Edition Upgrade" shows for me at $19.99, so I guess I own all the episodes? But "Game of the Year Edition Upgrade Intro Pack" also shows at $34.99 which I assume is if you own fewer episodes but they still show it as available to me?

Last edited:

Zambatoh

So I know I have some parts of Hitman 1, but searching through my license list in PlayStation settings isn't something you can do (only tab through many pages).

When I look at all of the Hitman games in the store, none show as Purchased, but is there any upgrade pack I should use knowing I have like 1-3 pieces of the first game?

Edit: "HITMAN™ - Game of the Year Edition Upgrade" shows for me at $19.99, so I guess I own all the episodes? But "Game of the Year Edition Upgrade Intro Pack" also shows at $34.99 which I assume is if you own fewer episodes but they still show it as available to me?
The first game needs you to use the "In-game Shop" in order to claim the free license upgrade. You can't use the normal store directly.

Edit: Wait. Nvm. I forgot you could buy the 1st game's episodes separately. If you want to "free import" into the sequels, then you are going to need to buy the remaining episodes or eat the cost and just buy the full upgrade or buy a retail disk.

Last edited:
Probably in my top 5 or 10 of all time. I liked the episodes though. How they released the first on in 2016 is how I would have preferred them to release the others.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've a;ways loved Hitman. I beat all three of them, but i feel like it's incomplete unless i do all the challenges. Unfortunately. my attention span doesn't allow me to go back and immediately replay a game after finishing it. Honestly the only game that has gotten me to do that is the SoulsBorne Series.

YCoCg

They removed sniper mode from Hitman 3, because it didn't end up being popular. I never cared about it and only played the snipers maps to get the easiest trophies.
Which was a shame, I always liked them as short breaks between huge levels, a way to still get some Hitman gameplay but in a short 15min burst. They could've added the maps from the mobile version too, always was sad they were locked to that platform, or better yet add the map from Sniper Challenge from Absolution since there is no way at all to get that now.

SCB3

One of my favorite Series since Hitman 2 on PS2, 2016 was my personal GotY and its gone strength to strength from there

Neil Young

Never played the series but like the stealth genre. If purchasing the games seemed more straightforward I would have bought them already.
Yeah, it's pretty confusing. I finally jumped in a couple months ago when Hitman 2 with all the dlc was on sale for 20 bucks. Once you grab one of them, you'll see menus for the games you don't have and it becomes a bit clearer on purchasing. I would just wait for sales that include everything.

It's an amazing game series with INSANE replay options that allow you to do so many things. Definitely give it a try.

Roufianos

NPD only includes digital sales of a few publishers and Hitman 3 was self-published, so I think its digital sales hasn't been counted.
Perhaps but even on physical alone you would expect it to crack the top 20 if it was a huge seller. I played it a couple of weeks ago and the Playstation leaderboards were something like 200,000.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
These new Hitman games and their clockwork puzzle like levels have been a real joy. My older brother and I have loved them.

Top Bottom