• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how are you feeling about XBOX "Passion Projects"?

Which game so far is your favorite

• Pentiment

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Grounded

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • Bleeding Edge

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 66 47.8%

• Total voters

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Halo - FPS
Last released was Infinite and it is considered mediocre by many and failed Microsoft and 343i goals/projections.

Gears of War - TPS
Last released was Gears 5, almost 4 years ago. No release for this generation yet.

Forza Horizon - Arcade Racer
Forza Motorsport - Racing Simulator
They are both simcade. The only difference is one is an open world racer with shit progression, and the other is self-contained racing maps.

Age of empires/ Gears Tactics - Strategy games
Both excellent. Sadly it has been 3 years since Tactics (would love a sequel!) and 2 years since AoE4. Thankfully they do seem to keep making DLC for AOE 3 and 2, both better games than 4.

Star Field - First person RPG
Isn't out yet and may not even release this year. I don't trust Bethesda with release dates.

Fable - Third person RPG
In development hell.

Hell blade 2 - Action adventure game
Either in Development Hell or a product they are ashamed to show much of.

I know there is more than what I listed, but it has enough variety games coming out nonetheless. These passion projects actually helps since AAA games take like 5 years to make.

In the AAA space, Xbox has been barren for years. The handful of games they released were mediocre, glorified expansion packs sold at full price, or were released years ago.

The only thing Xbox has had going for it as of late has been Game Pass, which really isn't that impressive since we aren't getting the AAA high quality releases, and their "passion projects" - which ARE excellent. Hi-Fi Rush is fun as hell and Pentiment was a beautifully moving and engaging narrative adventure. Grounded is fun, but is more middle of the road in my eyes.

Complete joke.

If these games are your passion, as in, you wouldnt want to make ANYTHING ELSE but these, even if you could.... then you need to dream bigger.

Disgusted at how developers have zero passion to push the medium forward.
You think TLOU2 is a masterpiece. The only complete joke here is you.

StueyDuck

We don't really know do we how many of the games both passions and big AAA that have released that MS themselves incubated and created at these studios before they were purchased do we?

If we assume they were all then I'd say it's been a 50/50 so far. Which is about in line with what to expect from off the wall smaller developments trying to be different. Not everything will land

Roberts

I am still playing Grounded but it is already one of my favourite games of all time. It just does what I personally want games to do.

Pentiment was my #2 game of 2022. Writing and the way its art style is used elevated it to greatness.

I still haven’t played HiFi Rush but I will do it today - impressions seem to be super positive all across the board

Oh, and I actually did play Bleeding Edge. It is not like it is a great game but I was good at it (and I rarely am at competitive online games) so I stuck with it until I got all achievos. It is fun distraction for a week or so.

So, games like these are what makes me a happy owner of xsx.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I think it’s a great idea and one of the positives about the GP distribution model.

Pentiment was my favorite, amazing story, lovable characters, better pace than most games despite being mostly text-based. Some moments (when you return to the maze as adult Andreas) hit harder than any other recent AAA story.

To me this is pushing the medium forward, not adding four times the beard hair on a 3D model.

Bleeding Edge was not fun to me at all. Tried about 2 hours and never played again. Probably put about 10 hours into Grounded, but I'm not a huge survival game fan, so I got sidetracked and have just never made it back. Pentiment was awesome to me. Completed it, but hated some of the decisions I made. Have already started it a second time and am at the end of the first act again. Definitely my favorite of these "passion projects" so far. I am downloading Hi-Fi Rush as we speak, so not sure yet. I'm a huge fan of the artstyle and like both rhythm and action games so hopefully it is right up my alley.

Overall I love having companies do passion projects, and I think the Game pass model is an amazing fit for these type of games. It is my ability to try fresh games constantly that keeps me subscribed

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The industry needs them, always had. Pentiment is the one of the best narrative games ever made.
The people against these projects are self- proclaimed “hardcore” gamers and YouTubers chasing the algorithm, ironically enough. They are actively laughing and chasing away good games into obscurity because to them, only mega productions at the cutting edge of tech or big-name projects (ie Hogwarts) are “real” video games. Basically everything that can‘t be classified as AAA one way or the other is demoted as mobile-tier stuff. Your corporate overlords thank you very much, but please don’t be so dumb as to expect some kinda reward. You will get more Forespoken and you will like it.

Varteras

Gold Member
Star field and Red fall are around the corner and they are new AAA ips. Sony hasn't released a new AAA ip this generation yet, but MS will very soon. Rules for thee but not for me I guess.

Well you get more passes the more games you release. Especially ones with high impact. It's silly to be awfully specific about the last couple years when the issue with Xbox people often present is one that has been happening for the better part of a decade or longer. Even more so when you look at the launch of Xbox Series lacking any big games, going a year before FH5 and Halo Infinite, followed by another year of no big releases, and the only big game they have an actual date for right now isn't coming until May. With no idea how Redfall will eventually shake out, but right now the community at large is just rather meh on what has been seen so far.

Xbox One leaned on Halo, Gears, and Forza quite hard and so far this gen that's been pretty much the same. In this last 10 years Sony has pushed out The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and Ghost of Tsushima as far as big new IP go. Were they all massive successes? No. But they were all new IP with large budgets catering to core crowds. Most of them did have a significant impact. This was on top of still pushing out great, if not fantastic, entries of Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Ratchet & Clank. God of War was even a dramatic formula change.

As far as what Sony has pushed out specifically this generation in regards to new IP, both Miles Morales and Forbidden West were new entries in big budget franchises that only had one entry previously. We know a third entry for both are planned for release this year, one of which is a VR game. Death Stranding is getting a second entry and The Last of Us is getting its third which is a multiplayer title. Franchises sitting on 2 or 3 entries feel very different from those at 5 to 10. Especially when it's just a few of them that have pretty much been the extent of your major offerings for a long time.

Now all that being said, these smaller games they push out are really neat and a great way to fill in the gaps of larger releases. Are they going to sell consoles or subs? Most likely not. But what they do is give options to those already on the platform and help make more people content with their purchase. And you never know which new game has the kind of success that explodes into a big new franchise. My favorite Xbox period was when they experimented. When they did Kameo and Viva Pinata and Crackdown between Halo and Gears and Forza. I think all of these companies are at their best when they take risks and try different things. Xbox is no exception.

My personal feelings on each of these games would be that I'm not into Grounded or Pentiment. The aesthetics alone put me off completely. I was really digging how Bleeding Edge was looking but it ultimately fell flat. I loved that art style though and I hope Ninja Theory goes back to it in a later game. I'm going to look more into Hi-Fi Rush. The art and animation look really good. Just seems to have really good production values overall. Tango seems to be struggling to find a hit with their big budget horror games so maybe this could be a better avenue for them. At least one that they try more often between their bigger games.

Keep these kind of games coming, I say. What they've dropped so far might not be up my alley so much but that's fine. I still like seeing them push small passion projects out to see what happens and tickle as many fancies as possible. If they keep releasing these experimental smaller games and manage to get their major production pipelines sorted out, the best days of Xbox will be back.

Last edited:
Not all of them have been my thing, but that says more about variety than anything negative.

Bleeding Edge. Looked really nice but ultimately fell flat.

Grounded. Not something I will play, but damm, it really found an audience and those who played it loved it.

Pentament. I really enjoyed the game. The story was really interesting and well done.

HiFi. Like Grounded, not my thing, but it seems to be hitting really well.

Keep them coming.
These smaller games are only coded by maybe 20 people. A studio can easily run this project along side a bigger AAA one without effecting either release.

Corndog

Banned
As an expert in the videogame industry, I believe that while those types of games may be entertaining and pretty cool.

They are not what Xbox currently needs in order to substantially grow its Game Pass subscriber and attract people to buy consoles.
I’m sure your opinion holds a lot of weight with Xbox. Do you even own one?

ZehDon

Gold Member
It would be good if they were complimentary to some bigger games

If games like Hellblade 2, Fable, Avowed and the others were releasing consistently then these passion projects would be better accepted
Well said. I'd be way more positive about these kinds of projects if they were the "side passion projects" they're intended to be, instead of "Xbox's only releases in 2022". And that's not the fault of the games at all - which I've really enjoyed thus far.

Andeck Vee

Neo Member
I kinda like it, I feel it could be cathartic for large studios. Spend yeeeeears on one game, rest after crunch, form small teams to pitch an 8 hour end to end low budget game. Teams get funding for vertical slice. Vote on best between teams, winning team gets time and funding to make game. I remember watching the credits on the old mega drive and was always blown away that such small teams could make such fun games. This should be brought back, tiny tight knit teams. Focused dedicated single player experiences, Almost arcade like experiences, or short story experiences. Release on gamepass or playstation plus. Happy and rested employees who are allowed to experiment, if they fail so what, didn't cost much and the team will still be happy as they got to be super creative...

GymWolf

Unfortunately i don't give a flying fuck about any of them.

I play a lot of indies and AA but i just don't care for their genre output.

X-Wing

They are fun minor projects, and the result of the Game Pass formula, since it needs to be continuously fed with new titles and AAA games take a lot of time to make. Most of them are at the indie level of things but with more resources to develop them (which can be seen as unfair competition to the real Indies). They aren't my cup of tea but I guess they are fine to keep people subscribed to Game Pass.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Admittedly, even going by the depths of the internet (steam store...) those are better received than big MS releases.

kyussman

Don't they just need games to fill GamePass,isn't that the real reason these smaller games are being made......kinda the opposite of passion really.

As much as i loved Pentiment, i'm going with Grounded simply because i spent like 100 hours with it. Never played Bleeding Edge but will try Hi-Fi Rush soon.

Not sure why but i think Returnal is supposed to be AAA
It isn't AAA. It was made by a small studio and didn't have a big budget. Just like how psyconaughts 2 and grounded are AA game.

Last edited:
Pentiment is the only one that I have played (on PC) and it was fantastic. I do think that similar projects could be successful without Microsoft and/or Game Pass though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You cant substitute AAA games like HaloGearsForza with indie games like this.

Thats not how it works. Give us a variety of AAA games in ADDITION to smaller games like this. Not instead of.

No one is buying a $700 (its 700 in canada) console for fucking Pentiment.

Ah yes, Gears, Forza, and Halo. The perfect example of “pushing the medium forward”.

Ozriel

M$FT
Complete joke.

If these games are your passion, as in, you wouldnt want to make ANYTHING ELSE but these, even if you could.... then you need to dream bigger.

Disgusted at how developers have zero passion to push the medium forward.

For fucks sake, man

OrU3iUR.jpg

Don’t people read anything these days?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I respect that.
I hope Sony would continue invest more AA games like these as well.

Last edited:
Last released was Infinite and it is considered mediocre by many and failed Microsoft and 343i goals/projections.

Last released was Gears 5, almost 4 years ago. No release for this generation yet.

They are both simcade. The only difference is one is an open world racer with shit progression, and the other is self-contained racing maps.

Both excellent. Sadly it has been 3 years since Tactics (would love a sequel!) and 2 years since AoE4. Thankfully they do seem to keep making DLC for AOE 3 and 2, both better games than 4.

Isn't out yet and may not even release this year. I don't trust Bethesda with release dates.

In development hell.

Either in Development Hell or a product they are ashamed to show much of.

In the AAA space, Xbox has been barren for years. The handful of games they released were mediocre, glorified expansion packs sold at full price, or were released years ago.

The only thing Xbox has had going for it as of late has been Game Pass, which really isn't that impressive since we aren't getting the AAA high quality releases, and their "passion projects" - which ARE excellent. Hi-Fi Rush is fun as hell and Pentiment was a beautifully moving and engaging narrative adventure. Grounded is fun, but is more middle of the road in my eyes.

You think TLOU2 is a masterpiece. The only complete joke here is you.

Halo infinite scored an 87 on metacritic and received a lot of game of the year awards. I guess you think Horizon forbidden west was mediocre too huh?

The release of multiplayer content was mishandled but the game is still great critically and top 20 on Xbox live most played games.

Forza motor sport isn’t an arcade racer by any stretch of the imagination. And it is a current gen game unlike GT7 with its ps3 textures.

Star field, red fall, Gears, Fable, Forza Motor sport, and more are all releasing on Xbox. Just because a game doesn’t have a release date doesn’t mean it is in development hell.

Sony only has Spider-Man 2 release date so does that mean their other games are having development issues?

Roberts

ROFL bleeding edge, is that game even alive still?

However in terms of pleasant surprises Grounded is just amazing. The best survival game since Subnautica.

Out of curiousity I installed BE a few days ago and found a match in less than a minute. Maybe I was lucky but I think it has a small but dedicated fan base.

About Grounded: while comparison with Subnautica is apt, I sort of look at it as an open world RPG. As soon as you get your character stats up and figure out the main survival mechanics, survival takes a backseat and you focus on story, exploration and quests.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think bleeding edge was a passion project. They tried to pitch it like that maybe? but It seemed much more like ninja theory panicking and trying a game like overwatch hoping it would stick.

The other 3 though. For sure.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Big budget AAA movie games are overrated. I want more AA games like this, that’s why I have gamepass.

I want gaming to be like the 2000s again, where cool new games kept coming.

We’ve fallen into this big budget, remake, games as a service hole that we don’t need to be in.

I just imagine what kind of games we could have gotten if resources weren’t all put into games like destiny, halo infinite, and last of us.

That’s what Nintendo does really well, they have the perfect balance of AA content on a constant basis. While PlayStation has one cool exclusive a year, and Xbox every other year. But that’s changing, I hope.

Last edited:

Pelta88

To me "Passion Projects" means low quality fodder for Game Pass.

The first Passion Project I ever played was Bleeding Edge. It was uninspired, low quality, trying to chase a trend, fodder. And Despite talking about how much passion the studio had for the project. When it didn't take off they closed the entire game down. My second passion project was the honey I shrunk the kids game. I damn near cried after a few minutes. played it for a few hours due to a lost bet on the other site and it was a chore. I haven't wanted to play a passion project since.

Well you get more passes the more games you release. Especially ones with high impact. It's silly to be awfully specific about the last couple years when the issue with Xbox people often present is one that has been happening for the better part of a decade or longer. Even more so when you look at the launch of Xbox Series lacking any big games, going a year before FH5 and Halo Infinite, followed by another year of no big releases, and the only big game they have an actual date for right now isn't coming until May. With no idea how Redfall will eventually shake out, but right now the community at large is just rather meh on what has been seen so far.

Xbox One leaned on Halo, Gears, and Forza quite hard and so far this gen that's been pretty much the same. In this last 10 years Sony has pushed out The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and Ghost of Tsushima as far as big new IP go. Were they all massive successes? No. But they were all new IP with large budgets catering to core crowds. Most of them did have a significant impact. This was on top of still pushing out great, if not fantastic, entries of Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Ratchet & Clank. God of War was even a dramatic formula change.

As far as what Sony has pushed out specifically this generation in regards to new IP, both Miles Morales and Forbidden West were new entries in big budget franchises that only had one entry previously. We know a third entry for both are planned for release this year, one of which is a VR game. Death Stranding is getting a second entry and The Last of Us is getting its third which is a multiplayer title. Franchises sitting on 2 or 3 entries feel very different from those at 5 to 10. Especially when it's just a few of them that have pretty much been the extent of your major offerings for a long time.

Now all that being said, these smaller games they push out are really neat and a great way to fill in the gaps of larger releases. Are they going to sell consoles or subs? Most likely not. But what they do is give options to those already on the platform and help make more people content with their purchase. And you never know which new game has the kind of success that explodes into a big new franchise. My favorite Xbox period was when they experimented. When they did Kameo and Viva Pinata and Crackdown between Halo and Gears and Forza. I think all of these companies are at their best when they take risks and try different things. Xbox is no exception.

My personal feelings on each of these games would be that I'm not into Grounded or Pentiment. The aesthetics alone put me off completely. I was really digging how Bleeding Edge was looking but it ultimately fell flat. I loved that art style though and I hope Ninja Theory goes back to it in a later game. I'm going to look more into Hi-Fi Rush. The art and animation look really good. Just seems to have really good production values overall. Tango seems to be struggling to find a hit with their big budget horror games so maybe this could be a better avenue for them. At least one that they try more often between their bigger games.

Keep these kind of games coming, I say. What they've dropped so far might not be up my alley so much but that's fine. I still like seeing them push small passion projects out to see what happens and tickle as many fancies as possible. If they keep releasing these experimental smaller games and manage to get their major production pipelines sorted out, the best days of Xbox will be back.
I won’t lie, I only skimmed through your post as I don’t feel like reading an essay.

The Geist seems to be based on Xbox history. However, Xbox is now a different beast. They didn’t start acquiring studios until 2018 and AAA games take around 5 years to make. Red fall and star field are the only new aaa ip games that are being made that are console exclusive this generation so far. Not to mention Xbox already seen well received scores from Halo, Gears tactics, forza horizon and flight simulator.

Also, Sony PS4 first party didn’t hit its stride until 2018 despite PS4 having the best first party exclusives that generation.

For the first three years, the only note worthy PS4 first party AAA exclusive games were Bloodborne, Infamous second son, and Uncharted 4. Because AAA games take a while to make.

DavidGzz

Pretty happy with them. And pretty soon we get Atomic Heart and Wo Long on Game Pass. Swimming in great games. Starfield, Redfall, and, Diablo 4 soon as well. 2023 will be sick for Game Pass.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played a single one of them, but I want to give Pentiment and Hi-Fi a go for sure.

The fact that those games exists gives me hope in the future, since most AAA games nowadays seem to be designed for the lowest common denominator.

I'm about two hours into Hi-Fi and while it's not for everyone, it's my favorite game since Elden Ring. It's a blast to play, to listen to, and to look at.

I'm playing on hard and while the basic enemies can be ran through no problem, the boss was a great challenge to get Rank A. The rythem aspect really shines in that scenario.

Edit: btw, Hi-Fi should be on the poll Ghost of Caelid Ghost of Caelid
Wait it's released already?

Big budget AAA movie games are overrated. I want more AA games like this, that’s why I have gamepass.

I want gaming to be like the 2000s again, where cool new games kept coming.

We’ve fallen into this big budget, remake, games as a service hole that we don’t need to be in.

I just imagine what kind of games we could have gotten if resources weren’t all put into games like destiny, halo infinite, and last of us.

That’s what Nintendo does really well, they have the perfect balance of AA content on a constant basis. While PlayStation has one cool exclusive a year, and Xbox every other year. But that’s changing, I hope.
I can’t stand AAA games that are trying to be more like a movie/ cinematic experience than a game. Go make a movie or write a book if you want to tell a story so much.

To me it's a AA game, but Housemarquee says it's AAA:

Just a marketing gimmick like MS “AAAA” studio and to justify a 70 dollar price tag. That game did not have a huge budget like Halo or GOWR or even half the budget of Horizon Forbidden west.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I can’t stand AAA games that are trying to be more like a movie/ cinematic experience than a game. Go make a movie or write a book if you want to tell a story so much.
I’m bored with those games now. Haven’t even finished Ragnarok. Forspoken has its flaws but the majority of the game isn’t slow walking and talking while a NPC solves the puzzles for you.

RespawnX

I work a lot, have a family and a real life. I love video games, but they are nothing more than an anecdote in my daily routine. In that sense, I appreciate any kind of game that doesn't shit me with worn-out gameplay principles, tons of microtransactions and infinite fetch content. Just be entertaining. For me, that applies far more often to AA than AAA titles. Therefore, what others consider "Game Pass filler", for me it's one of the main reasons for Game Pass.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
To the people quoting me like what I said was some hot take:

Yes, lets pretend we all invested thousands of dollars on OLED TV's, surround sound speakers, super high-end gaming cards, gaming chairs, $300 Pro controllers, $600 consoles, etc, to play fucking Bleeding Edge.

I cant be the only person around here that wants to see studios spend time on making real next gen AAA games with large-scale battles the likes of which we've never seen before, the return of destructible environments, superior A.I, creative new game design (we're still in the PS3 era), new mission structures, hardware pushing graphical fidelity, intelligent writing, more visceral combat, etc, etc.. You know.. next gen stuff.

And no, I dont care that these things are in the indie space - I want to see them in AAA games.

"BuT tHoSe ThinGs tAke 8 YeArs!" Precisely why I said there isnt enough talent in this industry. Build less, but larger, more efficient studios. Manage your studios better, higher more talent from other industries. Thesre must be a way to shorten development time and it starts with hiring the cream of the crop and proper studio management. If Insomniac can do it then nobody else has an excuse, because it can be done.

But please, carry on with your Bleeding Edge. A piss poor, unpolished, small minded "passion project".

I’m bored with those games now. Haven’t even finished Ragnarok. Forspoken has its flaws but the majority of the game isn’t slow walking and talking while a NPC solves the puzzles for you.
Yeah, those games don’t even feel rewarding enough to play all the way through. That is why despite its flaws, I enjoy ID software, Nintendo, and Coalition AAA games.

Top Bottom