• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIlent Hill: Ascension makes dumb canon revelation that makes fans angry

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's been a few months since Silent Hill Ascension, an interactive series, debuted. Unfortunately, the program has had a very low number of views and has received a lot of criticism for its quality. One of the newest chapters has now made headlines for introducing some controversial new lore.

Spoilers below if you even care:

The game revealed that the cult called The Foundation discovered in the past that love is the key to combating the effects of SIlent Hill. The problem is that simple love isn't enough to protect everyone, so the cult invented the Fusion Ceremony, where everyone in the cult takes part in daily orgies to fend off Silent Hill Monsters.

The leader then asks Eric, one of the protagonists of the series, to take part in the ceremony, saying that he needs to "share himself with the entire Foundation", which he claims will bring clarity and enlightenment, as well as strengthening the defenses against the mist.

As expected, fans didn't like the revelationat all, especially considering that Konami confirmed the game to be canonical within the Silent Hill universe.

Source

Last edited:

killatopak

I can twist it in some way so it can work with SH 1,2 and 4 but how is it even possible in 3? It’s a different emotion that Heather is going through in 3.

laynelane

That sounds incredibly stupid. Like someone decided to take the laziest, most sensational idea in their head and write it in.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the cult takes part in daily orgies

giphy.gif

Japan doesn't see canon the same way the West does. In Japan, canon change all the time, because they don't really believe in the concept of Dogma. You can disregard anything you don't like, that's the way Japanese fans handle it. That is the freedom of a polytheistic society.

killatopak

By the way, you know what else is canon? The Dog Ending.

I seriously think this is a case of miscommunication between cultures. Saying "This is canon" just means it may have happened.

No. That’s like saying the UFO ending in SH1 is canon when there is only 1 ending possible that leads to SH3.

Kilau

Japan doesn't see canon the same way the West does. In Japan, canon change all the time, because they don't really believe in the concept of Dogma. You can disregard anything you don't like, that's the way Japanese fans handle it. That is the freedom of a polytheistic society.

A society of:

adam savage mythbusters GIF

kunonabi

This is dumb as is the shit they're pulling with Short Message but Konami has been shitting on canon since Silent Hill 4 so it really doesn't matter at this point.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm both amazed that this is actually still running and that enough people are paying attention for this to be noticed by SH fans.

SJRB

Gold Member
love is the key to combating the effects of SIlent Hill. The problem is that simple love isn't enough to protect everyone, so the cult invented the Fusion Ceremony, where everyone in the cult takes part in daily orgies to fend off Silent Hill Monsters.

The leader then asks Eric, one of the protagonists of the series, to take part in the ceremony, saying that he needs to "share himself with the entire Foundation", which he claims will bring clarity and enlightenment, as well as strengthening the defenses against the mist.

6c6.gif

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I do find it amazing that you have one of the best psychological game series' to come around in years (SH 1, 2, 3) get utterly bum fucked by hacks and creative vacuums year after year.

Are these people not meant to be 'academic' (Heh)? This is the best they come up with?

Fucking charlatans, the lot of them.

RI182iH.jpg

I guess it's the same with all media now, creative vampires taking great I.P's and shitting on them because they're vacuous sorts. Why come up with original stories, lore, characters when you can just shit on everything and pretend you're good at your job

Easy money low effort nonsense.

Garbage.

Top Bottom