• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shift Up, the first Korean developer to formalize a publishing contract directly distributed and supported by Sony

Yoboman

Not sure I trust these guys to make anything good but let's see where it goes

Interesting that is probably the first time the words "second party" have actually been used formally

nial

Gold Member
Fuck, this is disappointing for a number of reasons. I don't want Sony's censorship heavy modern day politics pandering hands anywhere near ShiftUp and either Nikke or Stellar Blade.
I don't understand this logic. If Sony was so against what the game is, why would they even pick it up in the first place?

I mean, everything in this trailer looks completely normal, and what do we see at the beginning? Right...
jGDSrJa.jpg

Pejo

I don't understand this logic. If Sony was so against what the game is, why would they even pick it up in the first place?

I mean, everything in this trailer looks completely normal, and what do we see at the beginning? Right...
jGDSrJa.jpg

If you're gonna ignore the shit Sony has been doing to its games for the past 5 years and be appeased by a logo in a 1+ year trailer, then I can't stop you.

I'm just saying I don't want the Sony stink and influence touching ShiftUp. It's a miracle Nikke survived Tencent's meddling, now there's a second bullet to dodge.

tommib

I bet these people tell every half naked girl they see on the streets to cover up. Right RIGHT?? 🤦🏻‍♂️

This reminds me of that gay dude from DF saying the same thing about this game. Don’t remember his name tho.

I mean dude you like having a stick up your ass why are you pretending to speak for straight people… these people have a screw loose somewhere.
Who are we talking about?

ulantan

If you're gonna ignore the shit Sony has been doing to its games for the past 5 years and be appeased by a logo in a 1+ year trailer, then I can't stop you.

I'm just saying I don't want the Sony stink and influence touching ShiftUp. It's a miracle Nikke survived Tencent's meddling, now there's a second bullet to dodge.
Why would they change the game now though?

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member

For the past 5 years it's been at most just 2-3 games that would fit the narrative, all of which aren't developed by Sony themselves, but rather studios with their own culture, ideology and management. At the end of the day, that stuff is always implemented by the creatives and directors of those same studios, and when we're talking about the one located in California that operated independently for over 25 years, I REALLY doubt Sony had enormous control in what they believe.
It's even funnier when you look at actual Sony-developed games in that time frame (Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Blood & Truth, Concrete Genie, those MLB games), they have literally nothing.
Especially when this is their CEO, an old European man who does not give a shit about American sensibilities.

YukiOnna

For the past 5 years it's been at most just 2-3 games that would fit the narrative, all of which aren't developed by Sony themselves, but rather studios with their own culture, ideology and management. At the end of the day, that stuff is always implemented by the creatives and directors of those same studios, and when we're talking about the one located in California that operated independently for over 25 years, I REALLY doubt Sony had enormous control in what they believe.
No? it was a problem where 3rd party titles or ports got censored left and right from the classic dumb white beam of light on beach ware. Morita at the time even commented about how it was just to match "global standards" and "protect children." It's a valid concern if Sony is involved.

It was to the point it became a joke because Nintendo had nothing of the sort on 3rd parties and pointed to simply using available parental control.

Last edited:

Pejo

Why would they change the game now though?
Why does censorship ever happen? I can't give a good reason for it, and I hate it. In the past, it's been done for a variety of reasons, mostly chasing China money and the CCP has a strict list about what games can or can't do there. I'm not saying Sony is definitely going to censor the game for what it's worth, I just don't see them doing any favors for people who were a fan of the original concept. In other words, the only benefits are increased visibility/marketing and probably some sort of financial incentives to ShiftUp, neither of which I care about as a consumer.

It's even funnier when you look at actual Sony-developed games in that time frame (Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Blood & Truth, Concrete Genie, those MLB games), they have literally nothing.
Especially when this is their CEO, an old European man who does not give a shit about American sensibilities.
Maybe you're right, guess we'll see. But as I mentioned above, there is zero benefit of this agreement to me, a consumer. At worst, they censor the game or delay the PC version, which actively hinders my fun.

nial

Gold Member
No? it was a problem where 3rd party titles or ports got censored left and right from the classic dumb white beam of light on beach ware. Morita at the time even commented about how it was just to match "global standards" and "protect children." It's a valid concern if Sony is involved.

It was to the point it became a joke because Nintendo had nothing of the sort on 3rd parties and pointed to simply using available parental control.

I thought the conversation was about FP titles, tho? I am perfectly aware about all this stuff, but at the same time most of it was AGES ago, lots of restructuring happened within the company since then (and ironically, this all started when a Japanese guy was in charge of SIE), to the point I haven't heard that much about censorship of JPN games since what? Early 2020? Not that I say they stopped censoring titles, but lewd Japanese stuff stopped being quite in the target for some time. I've read about Alice Gear Aegis CS last year, but that's about it.

Last edited:

ulantan

Why does censorship ever happen? I can't give a good reason for it, and I hate it. In the past, it's been done for a variety of reasons, mostly chasing China money and the CCP has a strict list about what games can or can't do there. I'm not saying Sony is definitely going to censor the game for what it's worth, I just don't see them doing any favors for people who were a fan of the original concept. In other words, the only benefits are increased visibility/marketing and probably some sort of financial incentives to ShiftUp, neither of which I care about as a consumer.
But they were already invested in the original presentation and marketed as so. I'm honestly curious why sony would pivot this late into a concept they were already supporting?

YukiOnna

I thought the conversation was about FP titles, tho? I am perfectly aware about all this stuff, but at the same time most of it was AGES ago, lots of restructuring happened within the company since then (and ironically, this all started when a Japanese guy was in charge of SIE), to the point I haven't heard that much about censorship of JPN games since what? Early 2020? Not that I say they stopped censoring titles, but lewd Japanese stuff stopped being quite in the target for some time. I've read about Alice Gear Aegis CS last year, but that's about it.
Yeah, though It depends because outside of the support contract, Shift Up is its own company hence why I brought it up. After all, the console makers have their own policies and regulations. But you're right that it's been a good while plus it's gotten a lot more complicated thanks to the introduction of factors such as ESG Scores, not as simple. Hence why I hope to see it just release as-is.

Flutta

Banned
Sony is funding this game…

maybe they actually think the game has actual merit?

Because Sony is funding it they can demand some changes to ”cover her up”. Sony is also catering to these people lets not pretend otherwise.

This is not unheard off were devs or pubs cave go the woke mob. Hope it doesn’t happen but you never know. Just sayin…

Aenima

Because Sony is funding it they can demand some changes to ”cover her up”. Sony is also catering to these people lets not pretend otherwise.

This is not unheard off were devs or pubs cave go the woke mob. Hope it doesn’t happen but you never know. Just sayin…
The reason Kojima did a partnership with Sony was because Sony gives creative freedom to the devs. They dont demand shit. You have nudity in TLOU2 and many other published Sony games like Heavy Rain. The woke shit you see in Sony games, dont come from Sony, it comes from the studios itself that live in that woke mentality.

Also thers nothing to cover up in Stellar Blade. Its an android wearing a tight body suit. Nier automata shows full butt cheecks and did not got censored.

Ppl is so paranoid with Sony censorship just because they censored a couple of japanese games a few years ago, most of them featuring underaged characters.

None of the most recent games with nudity i played on PS5 was censored, Cyberpunk and Saints Row are 2 games where you can run around with your tits out, no censorship.

well ure talking to someone that literally doesn’t care for the female character having ass shots on the screen constantly.

I don’t think a character having a nice ass is anti-woke. It’s constant stupid ass camera angles that would be annoying. So no I don’t care if the developers caves to the “woke” mob.

I got banned from Resetera cause I said Abby from the Last of Us actually has a nice ass. So take what I say as u will.

Neon Xenon

You were not joking; just look at these comments lmfao

r6EJ99k.png
XOmi0WA.png
XpNRPOE.png

zUH4gmB.png
x70bbxe.png

wwdMzLA.png
Usually, I don't comment on how ridiculous ResetEra is, since what they're going to get mad about is a foregone conclusion and they're not worth caring about in the first place.
But this really does highlight how reactionary they are and not all that much different from the sort of the people that spout "woke" every five seconds. Two sides of the same stupid coin.

Kabelly

I will by a ps5 just for this game if it's truly exclusive but they were throwing around the term "console exclusive" so I'm still hoping for a pc release. This deal might change things though.

Usually, I don't comment on how ridiculous ResetEra is, since what they're going to get mad about is a foregone conclusion and they're not worth caring about in the first place.
But this really does highlight how reactionary they are and not all that much different from the sort of the people that spout "woke" every five seconds. Two sides of the same stupid coin.

Swipe Up Ntt Indycar Series GIF by INDYCAR

Flutta

Banned
well ure talking to someone that literally doesn’t care for the female character having ass shots on the screen constantly.

I don’t think a character having a nice ass is anti-woke. It’s constant stupid ass camera angles that would be annoying. So no I don’t care if the developers caves to the “woke” mob.

I got banned from Resetera cause I said Abby from the Last of Us actually has a nice ass
. So take what I say as u will.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Fredrik

But as I mentioned above, there is zero benefit of this agreement to me, a consumer. At worst, they censor the game or delay the PC version, which actively hinders my fun.
They’ll likely get more money to spend on making the game better.
But yeah there is a risk that Sony will pull the same stunt as always and delay on PC.

Pejo

They’ll likely get more money to spend on making the game better.
But yeah there is a risk that Sony will pull the same stunt as always and delay on PC.
Last article I read about Nikke's revenue was that it already passed $400 million. I know it's not apples to apples for other games and their budgets, just because it's the same developer, but still...

I'm guessing most of the benefit to the partnership is some kind of boost in visibility for the game and possibly future titles to help them gain a console presence, since they're mostly PC/Mobile and it's probably expensive and tough to really break into the console space as an indie publisher. I just hope part of the deal wasn't concessions on ShiftUp's part.

Crayon

Oh wow I didn't know they made Nikke. That's a good sign.

I wouldn't worry about them censoring the game. They've been showing it with that butt right in the camera for years. I can see shift up deciding themselves from the start to tone down the cheesecake for a release like this, though.

But they were already invested in the original presentation and marketed as so. I'm honestly curious why sony would pivot this late into a concept they were already supporting?

Because the mob will be coming at them. Let's hope sony don't give a fuck. They're very loud but only a small minority.

Go_Ly_Dow

So Stellar Blade likely to be censored now?
I'm doubtful it will be to be honest. They've shown two trailers at major Playstation events. I think some people are just guessing that because of the radio silence for the game this year that something is happening behind the scenes. But I think it's probably just development has taken longer than expected (it looks to be a high budget game) so they'll probably next show it when there's a release date to go alongside it. Maybe at the next State of Play or Game Awards.

Top Bottom