• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shark Fin Soup banned in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrush

ConvenientBox said:
Well personally I enjoy food that tastes good, not because it is a status symbol. If it tasted any good, they may have some sort of razor thin argument.
Last time I had one was over a decade ago and I still remember the taste of it. It's heavenly to me.

Neki

just watched the gordon ramsey clip of him eating shark fin soup, they basically took all of the fins and put it back in the water, my god.

Fusebox

Banned
Good! Go Toronto! Ive been campaigning against that shit to my Chinese friends for ages who insist on having it at any special occasion, I hope they ban it in Australia next.

I've had it and I can't say I give a shit about it being banned. This kind of ban should be more widespread. I'd like to see a world wide ban... but that doesn't seem likely.

Flo

Zombie James said:
That was very powerful, like how he reached out to English Chinatown and that they were very much interested in helping the cause. When I saw his name I did not expect this at all, thought he would love it.

I ate it when I was little, can't imagine it was real though, didn't look anything like what the people in the video were eating.

Onemic

eznark said:
Godspeed, Mayor.

I was up there for the WBC in 2009 and had it. I don't remember it though...it was also my bachelor party

Only sensible thing Rob Ford has said/done since he was elected.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Is this the only way shark fins are harvested? Would people here be willing to lift the ban if the sellers could prove that they used the entire shark? Or if they were farm raised sharks?

Hilbert said:
Is this the only way shark fins are harvested? Would people here be willing to lift the ban if the sellers could prove that they used the entire shark? Or if they were farm raised sharks?
I don't see why anyone would have an issue with this. Either confront the issue or remove it. I guess they decided to remove it.

.la1n

Cow Mengde said:
I've had it and I can't say I give a shit about it being banned. This kind of ban should be more widespread. I'd like to see a world wide ban... but that doesn't seem likely.

Honestly, I am with you. I am not sure if the fin itself adds anything to the soup but I am happy with the soup the way it is. The shark fin added nothing but rubbery blah.

Zyzyxxz said:
It's a stupid Chinese thing about having face by treating your guest to retardedly expensive but tasteless things aka this and sea cucumber.

So why don't restaurants make the soup with noodles or whatever but still charge the same price? That way everyone gets what they want without killing sharks.

Stet

Banned
chaostrophy said:
So why don't restaurants make the soup with noodles or whatever but still charge the same price? That way everyone gets what they want without killing sharks.
There's a lot of symbolism in Chinese cuisine. Shark's fin has developed a mythological aspect that permeates the tradition.

Prax

Stet said:
There's a lot of symbolism in Chinese cuisine. Shark's fin has developed a mythological aspect that permeates the tradition.
Just like other endangered animal parts (much like tiger, elephant, and rhino parts).
Well, it's time to give that up. People squandered their resources as usual and it's time to suffer the consquences of having those things banned.

They should move onto something else.. like.. truffles. That stuff's expensive, right?

kottila

Prax said:
Just like other endangered animal parts (much like tiger, elephant, and rhino parts).
Well, it's time to give that up. People squandered their resources as usual and it's time to suffer the consquences of having those things banned.

They should move onto something else.. like.. truffles. That stuff's expensive, right?

Why would they think that eating parts of endangered animals would make them more fertile and increase their erections etc. Wouldn't it be more logical to eat rabbits, rats and cockroaches?

Zyzyxxz

tino said:
But then the Chinese wouldn't eat it, they will go crowd over the next rare food. Its the culture. Speaking as a Chinese.
The current trend in HK is foie gras. I was surprised to see it at restaurants and local supermarkets.

.la1n said:
Honestly, I am with you. I am not sure if the fin itself adds anything to the soup but I am happy with the soup the way it is. The shark fin added nothing but rubbery blah.

I'm Chinese too, and it sickens me what we do to the wildlife. China really is an environmental disaster waiting to happen. What they're doing to preserve wildlife now is too little too late.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
As I'm sure has been noted, shark fin is tasteless, there is absolutely no reason to eat it.

Rinoa

Cow Mengde said:
I'm Chinese too, and it sickens me what we do to the wildlife. China really is an environmental disaster waiting to happen. What they're doing to preserve wildlife now is too little too late.

China already has been environmental disaster for some time... it's quite insane that nothing is going to change no matter how many news reports and documentaries are on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom