• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shark Fin Soup banned in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kottila

onken said:
I've had it. Much like whale it's nothing to get excited about, merely people clinging on to old traditions "just because".
That's not true, whale meat is delicious and dosen't taste like anything else.

Divvy said:
Ts2vQ.jpg

Maybe someone should have.

It takes a lot to gross me out... This does.

Enron

Banned
Had it in houston at a big chinese restaraunt my cousins like. My mother and aunt (while not chinese) ate sharks fin soup a lot growing up in Indonesia and they love it. I thought it tasted like crap.

If they were catching the sharks and keeping the rest of the shark meat for food use, then I could understand the (tasteless) fins were simply a byproduct and yeah ok, but when all they do is batch the shark chop the fin off a chuck the rest of the shark back into the sea still alive where on it'll bleed to death, fucking disgusting and well done to toronto for banning it, hopefully more places will

Gaborn

Misterinenja said:
I think it is much more ethical to eat cat or dog meat for example than endangered animals.

Questions of the desirability of the meat from a taste perspective aside, assuming there is no health issue I see no reason this shouldn't be legal.

Imm0rt4l

Misterinenja said:
I think it is much more ethical to eat cat or dog meat for example than endangered animals.
especially when you take in to consideration that the bulk of an animal is eaten, rather than say just it's paws where it's just discarded to die slowly.

I have had shark fin soup. It's absolutely delicious. People say that the fin doesn't add anything to the flavor, which I have no idea if it's true or not, but it adds a WORLD to the texture. In my opinion texture is one of the most important aspects of a food and the texture can actually make or break a dish. That said, the texture of the shark fin really did make the dish for me. It was unlike anything I've ever had, and it was extremely enjoyable.

That's sort of what bothered me about Gordon Ramsey's analysis of shark fin soup, because he's said time and time again how important texture is to a dish. I realize that he was trying to make a point about how terrible the practices are, and I generally agree with him, but it seemed a tad bit disingenuous to say that the shark fin adds absolutely nothing to the dish, because it very clearly does add.

In general the practices around obtaining the shark's fin are deplorable. They're wasteful and often cruel. That said, if it could be done in a sustainable manner, with reasonable slaughtering practices and no waste, I'd be for it. Until then I doubt I would partake again (unless it was free like it was the last time, no sense in letting it go to waste once it's in front of me).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I have had shark fin soup. It's absolutely delicious. People say that the fin doesn't add anything to the flavor, which I have no idea if it's true or not, but it adds a WORLD to the texture. In my opinion texture is one of the most important aspects of a food and the texture can actually make or break a dish. That said, the texture of the shark fin really did make the dish for me. It was unlike anything I've ever had, and it was extremely enjoyable.

That's sort of what bothered me about Gordon Ramsey's analysis of shark fin soup, because he's said time and time again how important texture is to a dish. I realize that he was trying to make a point about how terrible the practices are, and I generally agree with him, but it seemed a tad bit disingenuous to say that the shark fin adds absolutely nothing to the dish, because it very clearly does add.

In general the practices around obtaining the shark's fin are deplorable. They're wasteful and often cruel. That said, if it could be done in a sustainable manner, with reasonable slaughtering practices and no waste, I'd be for it. Until then I doubt I would partake again (unless it was free like it was the last time, no sense in letting it go to waste once it's in front of me).

Is the texture absolutely unique to shark fins? It seems like you could find something of similar, if not better texture without any problem - and have it add to the flavouring of the soup. The only reason to keep using shark fins is traditional sentimentality at that point.

explodet

The best part of the shark fin ban debate, the part that I'm surprised nobody's mentioned yet? (unless I missed it)

One of the councilors brought in a helium-filled remote controlled inflatable shark.

4o5iw.jpg

They had to call a 10-minute recess to get rid of it.
De Baeremaeker was the one who brought it in, he was in favor of the ban.

Kinitari said:
Is the texture absolutely unique to shark fins? It seems like you could find something of similar, if not better texture without any problem - and have it add to the flavouring of the soup. The only reason to keep using shark fins is traditional sentimentality at that point.

If there is, I've never encountered it. Nothing really even that close. It's like a strange pasta almost, but it has a kind of snap/chewy bite to it. I can't really describe it well.

Kinitari said:

Hong Kong food stand are known for their "Poor Man's" Shark's fin soup where they use a gelatinous noodle instead of shark's fin. If the broth is done correctly, I really think its replaceable

Goldrush

Kinitari said:

It'll be fantastic if anyone know of a replacement for the non-noodly shark fin.

razgriz417 said:
Hong Kong food stand are known for their "Poor Man's" Shark's fin soup where they use a gelatinous noodle instead of shark's fin. If the broth is done correctly, I really think its replaceable

I would totally eat it regularly if so. The texture and the flavor of the broth is just so awesome.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I would totally eat it regularly if so. The texture and the flavor of the broth is just so awesome.

Its been years since I've been back to HK but i recall the noodle not being as springy as shark's fin, but it was like $2 vs the crazy prices shark's fin is now anyway. I'd take it, though idk if my parents or grandparents would, they'd probably be fine forgoing it altogether. Bird's nest soup is awesome as well and still considered a delicacy that doesn't require mutilating sharks. Its made from Swiftlet's nests which is actually its spit. I'll leave it at that :p

Dude Abides

Banned
explodet said:
The best part of the shark fin ban debate, the part that I'm surprised nobody's mentioned yet? (unless I missed it)

One of the councilors brought in a helium-filled remote controlled inflatable shark.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/zenexplosion/4o5iw.jpg/IMG]

De Baeremaeker was the one who brought it in, he was in favor of the ban.[/QUOTE]

The account of the meeting is funny. Sounds like this guy is known for these stunts.

[url]http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/26/inflatable-shark-bites-council-debate[/url]

Gaborn said:
Questions of the desirability of the meat from a taste perspective aside, assuming there is no health issue I see no reason this shouldn't be legal.
You don't feel it's unethical to chop off a body part of a shark and leave it to die? Especially when said body part is only added to a soup to boost price and as a novelty?

Dude Abides

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I can't resist it any longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

In seriousness though, there are several varieties of the fin, and the textures come out differently, as I understand. Was yours more noodly? Or was it more a... solid?

It was seven years ago so details have faded. I think it was more on the noodly side. It wasn't all that expensive (though it was significantly more expensive than anything else on the menu) either, so maybe it wasn't even shark fin.

tino

Banned
razgriz417 said:

But then the Chinese wouldn't eat it, they will go crowd over the next rare food. Its the culture. Speaking as a Chinese.

Rinoa

explodet said:

4o5iw.jpg

De Baeremaeker was the one who brought it in, he was in favor of the ban.

I want to see this on video, that's hilarious.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0XaqtRECMo

ok now I want one badly

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gaborn said:

How about the legality of how the fin is obtained? If they're catching non-endangered sharks and using the entire shark, cool. If they're just cutting fins off and tossing them back in to die, which is illegal, because fins are easy to smuggle, you're still in favor of it?

Do you not have a problem with Bile Bears as well?

EvilMario said:
How about the legality of how the fin is obtained? If they're catching non-endangered sharks and using the entire shark, cool. If they're just cutting fins off and tossing them back in to die, which is illegal, because fins are easy to smuggle, you're still in favor of it?
I think he was talking about cats and dogs.

Carcetti

Shark Fin is completely tasteless and thus worthless food and the means to get it are suspicious at best. Ditch it. If you want interesting texture eat squid or something.
Seriously, I've eaten shark. Frozen cheap generic fish tastes better.

Cereal KiIIer said:
Did people voted for him because there was nobody else??? I don't see another reason.
He ran a US-style campaign, riding on a wave of right-wing populism in the suburbs.

He fabricated a financial crisis, posed as the "average, beer-drinking, sports-loving guy" as opposed to "those artsy fartsy elitists", had a wildly successful campaign slogan ("Stop The Gravy Train!"), said he'd cut taxes and spending, end "the war on cars" put those pinko cyclists in their place, scrap a good transit plan and built a subway ("out of the way of cars") instead, and he promised there'd be no service cuts.

(So what happened? Turns out there was no "gravy", he cut some taxes actually putting the city's finances in trouble, we can't afford a subway, and he's cutting all sorts of services.)

/slight thread derail

Gaborn

parrotbeak said:
I think he was talking about cats and dogs.

Yup. I already stated my opinion on shark fins earlier:

Gaborn said:
I'm a guy that normally takes the pro-freedom side (I oppose bans on horse meat, on foie gras, etc etc etc) but I don't have a problem with this. Often shark fin soup uses the fins from endangered sharks. I think that it could or should be approved if someone set up a shark aquaculture like they do with clams and oysters but with the danger involved I think that's unlikely.

Carcetti

This is one of those cases where my animal eating ethics kicks in. I love meat in its various forms but why cause unnecessary wasteful suffering to get it.

If I ran for some food related office my slogan would be "Eat meat but don't be a dick about it".

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have had it. I really didn't like it, especially when I put this vinegar in it that tasted horrible.

JGS

Banned
My heart tells me good on this one. I saw some documentary about theses guys just cutting the fins off and tossing the rest of the shark while alive back in the water. It was horrible.

Zertez

Ive had mid range shark fin soup, not the high end stuff, but not the cheap restaurant version either. The broth was good and while the shark fin had a texture I havent experienced before, it didnt add much to the dish. The fin was tasteless, so it could not have added much flavor to the broth. I would have taken the broth with some tofu and some fresh vegetables over the shark fin. Personally I would rather have many other soups over shark fin, that tasted better to me and they are much cheaper. While the shark fin did add something to the dish, it isnt worth driving sharks to extinction for what it added imo.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
lunarworks said:
He ran a US-style campaign, riding on a wave of right-wing populism in the suburbs.

He fabricated a financial crisis, posed as the "average, beer-drinking, sports-loving guy" as opposed to "those artsy fartsy elitists", had a wildly successful campaign slogan ("Stop The Gravy Train!"), said he'd cut taxes and spending, end "the war on cars" put those pinko cyclists in their place, scrap a good transit plan and built a subway ("out of the way of cars") instead, and he promised there'd be no service cuts.

(So what happened? Turns out there was no "gravy", he cut some taxes actually putting the city's finances in trouble, we can't afford a subway, and he's cutting all sorts of services.)

/slight thread derail

The financial crisis thing is what gets me, because that is a genuinely hard subject to understand, it's not possible for people to easily correct him - projected deficit and actual deficit are two completely different things.

Gaborn

JGS said:
My heart tells me good on this one. I saw some documentary about theses guys just cutting the fins off and tossing the rest of the shark while alive back in the water. It was horrible.

I understand the emotional side of this, I don't like seeing animals needlessly tortured like that, it's brutal. But from a policy standpoint the more important issue is the lack of sustainability of shark fish stocks. Other fish have fisheries and aquaculture set up that ensure a degree of sustainability, as well as standards that spare the young and pregnant. In shark finning that is not the case. It's closer to, say, the slaughter of the buffalo by pioneers. they didn't care if they were young or old or pregnant females and they didn't even care about the bulk of the meat from their kills. There was no thought to sustainability in regards to the slaughter.

Emotional responses to this are valid personal concerns and it's definitely a horrible practice but there are larger issues and reasons for it to be banned.

California banned it this year.

Best law the state has ever made.

Shark fin soup is barbaric shit and China should be ashamed of themselves for letting destructive idiotic superstitions have a place in the modern world.

jamesinclair said:
California banned it this year.

Best law the state has ever made.

Shark fin soup is barbaric shit and China should be ashamed of themselves for letting destructive idiotic superstitions have a place in the modern world.

agreed. hopefully NY follows suit.

Dude Abides

Banned
Rinoa said:
I want to see this on video, that's hilarious.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0XaqtRECMo

ok now I want one badly

There's a slide-show in the article I posted above. Also some amusing quotes.
“Please try not to provoke it,” Nunziata said.

When she tried to continue with the meeting, an unimpressed Councillor Michael Thompson rose to demand the shark get the hook.

“Madame speaker, I am here along with all members of council to do the business of council,” Thompson said.

“It appears that there are some other activities that are taking place in council and I would ask that you ask the councillor who is actually stick-handling the mechanical toy to basically stickhandle it down to the ground in order that we can actually have some decorum in this chamber in order to conduct the business at hand.”

Nunziata then asked De Baeremaeker to reel in his shark.

“Can you take it down?” Nunziata said. “There is no need for childish behaviour in the council chambers.”

At this point, it was fairly clear De Baeremaeker was having trouble steering the shark as it bumped into a wall.

“He’s lost control!” Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday joked.

“Glenn, just get it down,” Councillor Gord Perks added.

“Shoot it down,” another councillor shouted.

When De Baeremaeker failed to get the shark, Nunziata stopped the meeting.

“What we’re going to do is we’re going to recess until Councillor De Baeremaeker decides that he’s willing to come back to council and do his job as a councillor rather than misbehave, recess for 10 minutes,” she said.

The crowd applauded and eventually the shark, after being beached on top of a wall separating the council chambers from a lounge area, disappeared from view and the meeting started up again.

Rinoa

Yeah the slideshow was just a few pics but the quotes are hilarious.

Seems they lose control easily though. Or maybe it was the range, it was a huge area.

Stet

Banned
Rinoa said:
Yeah the slideshow was just a few pics but the quotes are hilarious.

Seems they lose control easily though. Or maybe it was the range, it was a huge area.

Thought you were talking about city council.

Goldrush

Why so much discussion about the taste? Would it make a difference if it taste like 5 pounds of bacon compressed into a single bite?

cbox

Goldrush said:
Why so much discussion about the taste? Would it make a difference if it taste like 5 pounds of bacon compressed into a single bite?

Well personally I enjoy food that tastes good, not because it is a status symbol. If it tasted any good, they may have some sort of razor thin argument.

JGS

Banned
Gaborn said:
I understand the emotional side of this, I don't like seeing animals needlessly tortured like that, it's brutal. But from a policy standpoint the more important issue is the lack of sustainability of shark fish stocks. Other fish have fisheries and aquaculture set up that ensure a degree of sustainability, as well as standards that spare the young and pregnant. In shark finning that is not the case. It's closer to, say, the slaughter of the buffalo by pioneers. they didn't care if they were young or old or pregnant females and they didn't even care about the bulk of the meat from their kills. There was no thought to sustainability in regards to the slaughter.

Emotional responses to this are valid personal concerns and it's definitely a horrible practice but there are larger issues and reasons for it to be banned.
I suppose that's the way I view it too. I don't normally care about slaughter, but this was such a blatant waste.

At the same time, the emoitional side of it is there because I have no qualms regarding foie gras, veal, or even what happens to chickens (It's gruesome). I guess I attach emotion to the waste rather than the slaughter itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom