• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shark Fin Soup banned in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/10/25/18878581.html

TORONTO — City councillors voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to make Canada's largest city a shark fin free zone.

After an almost three-hour debate, councillors voted 38-4 to ban the possession, sale and consumption of shark fin soup and other products within the Toronto city limits, effective Sept. 1, 2012.

"This will be a motion that will be heard around the world, I think sharks in every single ocean of the world are clapping right now as we speak," said Coun. Glenn De Baeremaeker. "We did this to make sure that (sharks) didn't get wiped off the face of the earth; we're being part of a global solution to solve a global problem."

Tuesday's vote follows similar bans adopted by Ontario councils in Brantford, Mississauga and Oakville.

The four votes against the ban were cast by Mayor Rob Ford, Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday and two councillors -- Giorgio Mammoliti and David Shiner.

Before the vote, city legal staff advised council that enacting a ban would be "risky" because there would be "challenges" in defending the bylaw in the courts. The city could have to defend the bylaw on the basis it was enacted for "valid municipal purposes."

De Baeremaeker dismissed any concerns about a legal challenge to the ban.

"Shame on anyone who tries to get in the way of a law voted overwhelmingly by a democratically elected council," De Baeremaeker said. "But if they want to go to court, let them go to court, we're doing what is right and we'll stand behind it."

A move by Coun. Chin Lee to allow shark fin possession for "bona fide research or educational purposes" was rejected. Councillors argued Lee's amendment would open a whale of a loophole."

Before the vote, the mayor revealed he wouldn't be supporting a ban.

"No one has told me what to eat over the years so I can't really go and start telling people what to eat," Ford said.

Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday tried to dissuade councillors from supporting a ban, arguing it would draw the city into a costly legal fight that "we probably won't win."

"We can't go down the road again of throwing taxpayers' money into the ocean ... we can't keep ignoring the sound legal advice we get from our solicitor," he said.

Those who break the shark fin bylaw would face a $5,000 fine for a first offence, a $25,000 fine for a second offence and a $100,000 fine for a third or subsequent offence.

Never had any of that soup in my life, but I hear it's pretty good. Did any of you tried it?

eznark

Banned
"No one has told me what to eat over the years so I can't really go and start telling people what to eat," Ford said.

Godspeed, Mayor.

I was up there for the WBC in 2009 and had it. I don't remember it though...it was also my bachelor party

Stet

Banned
BY2K said:
Never had any of that soup in my life, but I hear it's pretty good. Did any of you tried it?
The soup is great. The shark fin isn't, and doesn't add any flavour.

onken

I've had it. Much like whale it's nothing to get excited about, merely people clinging on to old traditions "just because".

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How did this escape Toronto-Age? :O

But yes, it does deserve its own thread, because it's quite a hot topic. And it's a trend now with Mississauga, and other nearby cities banning shark fin soup. I've nothing against eating shark, but it's the notion that many fisherman will capture sharks, cut the fin, and then toss it back in the water to die that upset people (and rightfully so).

For those in Toronto wanting to know the break down on the vote:

Results for the Shark fin banning vote:

Voted for the Ban:
Paul Ainslie, Maria Augimeri, Ana Bailão, Michelle Berardinetti, Shelley Carroll, Raymond Cho, Josh Colle, Gary Crawford, Vincent Crisanti, Janet Davis, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Mike Del Grande, Frank Di Giorgio, Sarah Doucette, John Filion, Paula Fletcher, Mary Fragedakis, Norman Kelly, Mike Layton, Chin Lee, Gloria Lindsay Luby, Josh Matlow, Pam McConnell, Mary-Margaret McMahon, Joe Mihevc, Peter Milczyn, Ron Moeser, Frances Nunziata (Chair), Cesar Palacio, John Parker, James Pasternak, Gord Perks, Anthony Perruzza, Jaye Robinson, Karen Stintz, Michael Thompson, Adam Vaughan, Kristyn Wong-Tam

Voted against the Ban:
Rob Ford, Doug Holyday, Giorgio Mammoliti, David Shiner

Absent:
Doug Ford, Mark Grimes, Denzil Minnan-Wong

Gaborn

I'm a guy that normally takes the pro-freedom side (I oppose bans on horse meat, on foie gras, etc etc etc) but I don't have a problem with this. Often shark fin soup uses the fins from endangered sharks. I think that it could or should be approved if someone set up a shark aquaculture like they do with clams and oysters but with the danger involved I think that's unlikely.

Kraftwerk

My boss had it a while back. Said it didn't add anything to the soup, besides some jello-ey texture. Glad it was banned.

LQX

Baby seals everywhere in Canada try to look displeased. So why is it OK to bash us?

Zyzyxxz

It's a stupid Chinese thing about having face by treating your guest to retardedly expensive but tasteless things aka this and sea cucumber.

Darklord

Banned
Good. When I heard it's common for them to cut the fins off and throw the shark back in the water, still alive but finless I vowed never to eat it. I don't support barbaric shit like that.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand soup so I wouldn't even think about having this.

equap

Banned
Darklord said:
Good. When I heard it's common for them to cut the fins off and throw the shark back in the water, still alive but finless I vowed never to eat it. I don't support barbaric shit like that.
i think they've done it to the whale shark, too.
whale3.jpg

Goldrush

One of my favorite. I'm salivating just thinking about the one my grandma used to make.

I'm sadden by but support the ban.

I never ate (drank?) this, but I saw a Gordon Ramsay documentery on it a while back that made the whole thing seem terrible

Goldrush

Zyzyxxz said:
It's a stupid Chinese thing about having face by treating your guest to retardedly expensive but tasteless things aka this and sea cucumber.

Oh gawd! Now I can't stop thinking about biting into one. The texture is amazing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So glad this was passed. Now I just hope that other municipalities follow suit.

Zaptruder

Banned
Sharkfin isn't valued for its taste. It like many other chinese deliacies are favoured for... mythical virility and potency.

It's basically a more widespread version of tiger testicles or dick or shit like that.

That said, the soup itself is pretty decent, with a nice dash of vinegar and pepper. Shark fin can be easily replaced with vermicelli or cellophane noodles or some such to create a similar, even superior replacement dish.

Sober

The soup is still good, don't get me wrong, but I never saw the big deal about the actual shark fin. Had it for the last 20 years and never really noticed the fin had any flavour anyway, and I'd probably wouldn't notice it if they took it out.

But then again I live in Markham, so I guess we still have it here.

Zyzyxxz

Goldrush said:
Oh gawd! Now I can't stop thinking about biting into one. The texture is amazing.
I don't see what's so special about it especially the fact it can cost hundreds per pound. Omg its super tender because I boiled it for hours! So is beef tendon or pork belly and those taste so much better.

Good. They banned it here in Hawaii last year or so, despite the large Chinese population. Surprised it hasn't been banned elsewhere already.

Long way from making the rest of the fish industry sustainable, but it's a start.

jax (old)

Banned
kind of barbaric to hunt an animal; kill it for the fin;and throw it back into the water to die.

it basically tastes like nothing and they could easily make some gelatin clone; I think the soup is more or less like a congealed chicken soup with egg and made piquant with vinegar.

i support the ban.

SRG01

LQX said:
Baby seals everywhere in Canada try to look displeased. So why is it OK to bash us?

They actually need to be culled because there are no predators and they'll take out the salmon routes... Hunting is the only thing keeping the seal population in check.

Azih

EvilMario said:
How did this escape Toronto-Age? :O
It didn't. I'm on record there moaning about my Councillor being one of the idiots who voted against. Seriously, wtf David Shiner?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Azih said:
It didn't. I'm on record there moaning about my Councillor being one of the idiots who voted against. Seriously, wtf David Shiner?

I mean, I thought we had it contained to Toronto-Age. But now it's loose!

Otheradam

I've had it many times on special occasions and Chinese weddings. It really doesn't taste like anything by itself and if there was a ban in NY I wouldn't miss it. I really think the stigma of it being an exotic and expensive food is why people even bother.

Otheradam said:
I've had it many times on special occasions and Chinese weddings. It really doesn't taste like anything by itself and if there was a ban in NY I wouldn't miss it. I really think the stigma of it being an exotic and expensive food is why people even bother.

Yea same, I had it quite a few times growing up, was pretty common to have it during weddings and people really only order it for being expensive and exotic. The broth used is usually great but the shark's fin itself does not add much to the soup. I'd be for a nation wide US ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom