• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - A Saga In The Making

rapid32.5

I want that shirt on Tameem.
AyCZhTo.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't Alex from DF say the TGA trailer they showed off was pre-rendered?

DF also mentioned that very first trailer was sub 4k @ 24fps. And while Epic did say the trailer could have been real-time, real-time on what hardware.

I'll personally wait with interest when we see an official trailer, I don't know what to make of such a super short clip.

Last edited:
The tiny snippets looked great, too little though. I can see why Phil bumped this from the E3 show and it's released today like it is.

Why are all of these new devs that Microsoft bought for XGS so slow at making games?

Because almost all of Microsoft's 1st party are making actual next-gen games (not cross gen) and have to make up for lost dev time due to covid.

At least the 2nd year into this gen, we're getting Redfall and a megaton like Starfield (+ who knows what else..maybe Wolfenstein 3, Forza Motorsport?).

To put things in perspective, I remember we had to wait:
-3 years into last gen for Uncharted 4
-4 years in for Gran Turismo Sport and Horizon Zero Dawn
-5 years in for God Of War and Spiderman
-6 years in for Days Gone
-7 years in for The Last Of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima

Those are the games everyone champions when they mention quality 1st party games from Sony, last gen.

They took time. Games take time.

reksveks

Why are all of these new devs that Microsoft bought for XGS so slow at making games?
Ninja Theory in particular is quite small, 115 on LinkedIn and 120 on wiki. I also didn't know that they have worked on a couple of VR games since acquisition.

I also don't think they have been able to scale out in terms of employees.

supernova8

Banned
I don't understand all of you saying it looked amazing, there were 3 seconds of in-game footage.

There's no guarantee it was even game footage. Tameem "I love myself so much it's painful to watch" Antoniades was careful to be vague with his choice of words "a montage of the kind of work we've been up to".

Ninja Theory is the best developer in the UK. Just such a talented group of people. Can't wait for the game had hope it can come out late next year.

Raekwon26

Because almost all of Microsoft's 1st party are making actual next-gen games (not cross gen) and have to make up for lost dev time due to covid.

At least the 2nd year into this gen, we're getting Redfall and a megaton like Starfield (+ who knows what else..maybe Wolfenstein 3, Forza Motorsport?).

To put things in perspective, I remember we had to wait:
-3 years into last gen for Uncharted 4
-4 years in for Gran Turismo Sport and Horizon Zero Dawn
-5 years in for God Of War and Spiderman
-6 years in for Days Gone
-7 years in for The Last Of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima

Those are the games everyone champions when they mention quality 1st party games from Sony, last gen.

They took time. Games take time.

This is a bit disingenuous.

Naughty Dog took 3 years between TLOU and Uncharted 4.

Guerrilla Games took 4 years between Killzone and HZD.

Insomniac had released 2 games for the consoles before Spiderman (Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet and Clank)

Sucker Punch had released Infamous Second Son already and Naughty Dog (see above).

SSM released GOW Ascension in 2013 and Bend had been working on the Vita.

The point is, these studios were making games right up to the end of the PS3's life cycle and some had games come out right at the beginning of the PS4.

This is NOT the case in regards to the Xbox.

anthony2690

Banned
Sounds like they got some serious budget behind hellblade 2.

I hope they nail the combat, movement and puzzle design this time.

Whilst I didn't enjoy the first game that much, I do think the IP has huge potential.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What? Dont try to move goal posts. Realtime means it wasn't pre-rendered. Nobody claimed it was gameplay footage.

Yeah i know that. But people often don't know that it can be graphically different because in-engine always looks better than real-time gameplay.

INC

Hay everyone, look at all the scraps of work we've been working on, and just smashed together

What a pointless showing

mejin

Insomniac had released 2 games for the consoles before Spiderman (Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet and Clank)

Sucker Punch had released Infamous Second Son already and Naughty Dog (see above).

The point is, these studios were making games right up to the end of the PS3's life cycle and some had games come out right at the beginning of the PS4.

This excuse made by him would be true IF the Xbox One had the same kind of first party as the PS4. It didn't. All gen MS never really commited to the system and people were fine with this cause they expected they were full ahead on next gen. It was a false alarm like always, the games are not ready and we have more promises again.

Spencer was the first to announce next gen and hype it. Now you have a console that was launched on 2020 and the "next gen" games will only start to appear in 2023, 2024. In 2020, Sony released an insane number of games and they still have games for 2021. Imagine if MS studios will launch all they have on 2023, 2024 they just won't have enough time to develop more big games till the end of the gen it will just a new batch of cross gens with the next xbox imo.

reksveks

Imagine if MS studios will launch all they have on 2023, 2024 they just won't have enough time to develop more big games till the end of the gen it will just a new batch of cross gens with the next xbox imo.
You think the xbox gen last 4 years? I might be read into something that isn't there.

Also we know that Xbox is getting 4 games from Bethesda in 2022 (including the two exclusives), assuming forza Motorsport personally. I suspect a couple more personally.

nekrik

This has just taken a large dump on every other game we've seen so far😳
1st You can't see shit!
2nd Nobody said that those scenes are from a real time game capture, though they could be and are runing at 20fps on an RTX 3900 on a high end pc. So lol!
3d and most important espesially for technical clueless people: IN ENGINE DOES NOT MEAN IT IS R E A L T I M E !!!

PS: Those scenes from the video are not even that great!

Last edited:

Leo9

This excuse made by him would be true IF the Xbox One had the same kind of first party as the PS4. It didn't. All gen MS never really commited to the system and people were fine with this cause they expected they were full ahead on next gen. It was a false alarm like always, the games are not ready and we have more promises again.

Spencer was the first to announce next gen and hype it. Now you have a console that was launched on 2020 and the "next gen" games will only start to appear in 2023, 2024. In 2020, Sony released an insane number of games and they still have games for 2021. Imagine if MS studios will launch all they have on 2023, 2024 they just won't have enough time to develop more big games till the end of the gen it will just a new batch of cross gens with the next xbox imo.
Starfield, Redfall and (likely) Motorsport are next gen only coming in 2022. And I doubt we have seen the entire lineup.

Last edited:

mejin

You think the xbox gen last 4 years? I might be read into something that isn't there.

Also we know that Xbox is getting 4 games from Bethesda in 2022 (including the two exclusives), assuming forza Motorsport personally. I suspect a couple more personally.

No, no. I meant the studios are not prolific enough. When we see MS first party output, they're clearly taking more time than expected to produce results. Considering this pace, most will probably launch one big game in 2023 or 2024 and won't have enough time to develop another one in due time for Series S/X, so it will probably be a cross gen.

Now, Bethesda was a big cover up for the lack of first party games on Xbox. But remember as a big publisher Bethesda would launch those games (in multiplatform) even if MS didn't acquire them imho. So, those games are not really an effort from MS, they were already in development before the acquisition. So, that's what makes this acquisition a very good move from MS, they not only get "first party exclusives", but they also blocked the multiplatform.

Last edited:

reksveks

No, no. I meant the studios are not prolific enough. When we see MS first party output, they're clearly taking more time than expected to produce results. Considering this pace, most will probably launch one big game in 2023 or 2024 and won't have enough time to develop another one in due time for Series S/X, so it will probably be a cross gen.
When you say cross gen? Which gens are you talking about? You think Avowed is going to be running on xbox one?

I would like to see team size per studio but I feel like Microsoft studios are a decent chunk small.

Now, Bethesda was a big cover up for the lack of first party games on Xbox. But remember as a big publisher Bethesda would launch those games (in multiplatform) even if MS didn't acquire them imho. So, those games are not really an effort from MS, they were already in development before the acquisition. So, that's what makes this acquisition a very good move from MS, they not only get "first party exclusives", but they also blocked the multiplatform.
MS bought exclusivity and effectively tech talent from the team with idtech.

mejin

When you say cross gen? Which gens are you talking about? You think Avowed is going to be running on xbox one?

I would like to see team size per studio but I feel like Microsoft studios are a decent chunk small.

MS bought exclusivity and effectively tech talent from the team with idtech.

I meant the next xbox gen (series SS/XX). Series S/X is current gen now.

And yep, they paid a lot for exclusivity of Bethesda and others teams of Zenimax. Although, there is still difference between Xbox Game Studios and Zenimax/Bethesda since Zenimax was not incorporated to XGS as previous acquisitions.

reksveks

I meant the next xbox gen (series SS/XX). Series S/X is current gen now.
Cool. Can maybe see it but I also think the Project Mara and TOW2 won't come too much later than Hellblade2 and Avowed, for different reasons. Maybe 18-24 months later.

they really are reluctant to show this game aint they? there isnt even teases of any gameplay at all. hasnt it been in development for years?

mejin

Cool. Can maybe see it but I also think the Project Mara and TOW2 won't come too much later than Hellblade2 and Avowed, for different reasons. Maybe 18-24 months later.

Sure, it's all speculation always. If we were certain of things we wouldn't emit opinions, but facts. Would be rich too haha.

I think Ninja Theory has 2 more projects besides Hellblade II (Project Mara included). We can't be sure how big will they be, but since Hellblade II still is in early phases of development we can only wonder and hope for good news from Ninja Theory. Nothing would be better than see them being more prolific as they grow bigger as a team.

SirTerry-T

There's also the fact that a lot of devs, regardless of who they are developing games for, be it Microsoft or Sony, use a shit ton of outsourcing, Naughty Dog in particular.

Those outsource studios can't be hired until any assets they need to produce are decided on...otherwise you are just pissing Dev time and money away.
Though it's an "easy out" at the moment, Covid WILL have an impact on this..a lot of outsource teams are based in South Asia and South East Asia.

1st You can't see shit!
2nd Nobody said that those scenes are from a real time game capture, though they could be and are runing at 20fps on an RTX 3900 on a high end pc. So lol!
3d and most important espesially for technical clueless people: IN ENGINE DOES NOT MEAN IT IS R E A L T I M E !!!

PS: Those scenes from the video are not even that great!
Ok buddy 🤣

Now, Bethesda was a big cover up for the lack of first party games on Xbox. But remember as a big publisher Bethesda would launch those games (in multiplatform) even if MS didn't acquire them imho. So, those games are not really an effort from MS, they were already in development before the acquisition.

You know, I never see that same energy for Sony when people champion Insomniac for releasing 3 exclusives for them in under 3 years (Spiderman, Miles Morales expansion and Ratchet Rift Apart).
Those games were clearly in development before Sony acquired them in 2019.

The Zenimax purchase was "a big cover up for lack of first party" but let me guess..the Insomniac purchase was a "welcome addition" right?

Raekwon26

You know, I never see that same energy for Sony when people champion Insomniac for releasing 3 exclusives for them in under 3 years (Spiderman, Miles Morales expansion and Ratchet Rift Apart).

The Zenimax purchase was "a big cover up for lack of first party" but let me guess..the Insomniac purchase was a "welcome addition" right?

You can't be serious with this comparison can you?

Seriously?

mejin

Ratchet PS4 was developed in less than a year. I wouldn't be suprised if Rift Apart started in 2019. Anyway, even if Morales and Rift Apart started development before their acquisition they were already games in partnership with Sony which means they were already receiving first party treatment including early PS5 development kits.

And like I said the acquisition of Zenimax was a great move from MS since they killed two birds with one stone: the lack of first party support for Series S/X in due time and killed playstation versions in the process.

Shmunter

The new vid update is out, and…………wtf is this, are they trying to induce epilepsy? The is the worst game progress update, or glimpse, or whatever in the modern history of the art….

Massive ball drop….

epilepsy warning:

What in the hell does The Last of Us for PS3 have to do with the 3 years we waited into the PS4's generation for Sony's 1st party to start firing on all cylinders (starting with Uncharted 4, then Horizon Zero Dawn the following year, etc)?

Every generation is a clean slate and we dont know exactly how long any game is/was in development for (especially when every development cycle is totally different from one game to the next).

I remember when my PS4 was being called the 'IndieStation' because the only decent 1st party games I had for 3 years (THREE) were Killzone Shadowfall and Knack at launch..followed by Infamous Second Son, Driveclub and Journey for the next 2 years (with Journey being the best of the bunch).

Nobody who spent their money on a PS4 at launch for Knack and Killzone said "This is fine because Gran Turismo 6 and The Last Of Us just came out recently for PS3!"

We moved on and simply had to be patient for new, higher quality product(s) for the PS4, period.
Covid wasn't around back then to slow things down, either.

Ratchet PS4 was developed in less than a year. I wouldn't be suprised if Rift Apart started in 2019.

Wow. If you believe even the smallest indie game is developed in less than a years time nowadays..(much less Ratchet PS4 which was a game developed in tandem with the film its based on), I have a bridge to sell you.

GymWolf

This is what horizon 2 could have looked if it wasn't crossgen.

(Ok maybe a bit worse because horizon is open world)

Raekwon26

What in the hell does The Last of Us for PS3 have to do with the 3 years we waited into the PS4's generation for Sony's 1st party to start firing on all cylinders (starting with Uncharted 4, then Horizon Zero Dawn the following year, etc)?

Every generation is a clean slate and we dont know exactly how long any game is/was in development for (especially when every development cycle is totally different from one game to the next).

I remember when my PS4 was being called the 'IndieStation' because the only decent 1st party games I had for 3 years (THREE) were Killzone Shadowfall and Knack at launch..followed by Infamous Second Son, Driveclub and Journey for the next 2 years (with Journey being the best of the bunch).

Nobody who spent their money on a PS4 at launch for Knack and Killzone said "This is fine because Gran Turismo 6 and The Last Of Us just came out recently for PS3!"

We moved on and simply had to be patient for new, higher quality product(s) for the PS4, period.
Covid wasn't around back then to slow things down, either.

Did you not read what I wrote at the bottom?

Simple, really.

Dolomite

And? Is it a shitty trailer or no? Because I see people here saying game will look amazing according to those snippets and I don't see you quoting them.

I played all Ninja Theory games, no one is a great game, but I think they are very good in PR talking, so I'm cautious with this game. And videos like this (or the previous fake CG they tried to sell as real time, not saying it directly but being silent when people start to think it was real time) make me more cautious.
You're tripping, Heavenly Sword was a masterpiece.

Top Bottom