• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - A Saga In The Making

emivita

What, this game is not yet in full production? Hellblade 1 was released in 2017, what they have been doing in the last 4 years?

elliot5

What, this game is not yet in full production? Hellblade 1 was released in 2017, what they have been doing in the last 4 years?
Porting the game to Xbox, and Switch. Bleeding Edge (RIP), Project Mara, relocating to a new studio, but also then a pandemic. Lots of mo-cap stuff which they obviously rely on was put on hold.

meernakh

Very exciting. Obviously it’s a way out but they way they are talking it seems very ambitious. Fine with the tease not showing much. I rather see representative gameplay close to launch. (Same thing with starfield).

Stuart360

And? Is it a shitty trailer or no? Because I see people here saying game will look amazing according to those snippets and I don't see you quoting them.

I played all Ninja Theory games, no one is a great game, but I think they are very good in PR talking, so I'm cautious with this game. And videos like this (or the previous fake CG they tried to sell as real time, not saying it directly but being silent when people start to think it was real time) make me more cautious.
God some of you on this forum really are depressing.

emivita

Porting the game to Xbox, and Switch. Bleeding Edge (RIP), Project Mara, relocating to a new studio, but also then a pandemic. Lots of mo-cap stuff which they obviously rely on was put on hold.

Lol, I completely forgot about Bleeding Edge. I thought it was a side project. And isn't Project Mara a small project? It doesn't seem a very efficient studio, tough.

reksveks

Lol, I completely forgot about Bleeding Edge. I thought it was a side project. And isn't Project Mara a small project? It doesn't seem a very efficient studio, tough.
It's not a big studio or wasn't. Up to 115 based on LinkedIn

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
OffensiveBleakBullmastiff-size_restricted.gif

ExemplaryBogusAndeancat-size_restricted.gif
sad to say, this shows the very first trailer was CG

Robb

Gold Member
I couldn't tell much from that... But I'm glad they gave us an update at least. Can't wait to see some actual gameplay footage!

TonyK

God some of you on this forum really are depressing.
In my case I don't understand the opposite opinion. All my friends that today have seen the Hellblade 2 video were disappointed, and they are worried by the state of the project. And here that opinion is condemned. Is it because is a Microsoft game and then any critic it's interpreted as a Sonyer attack? (the same for a game from Sony interpreted as a Xboxer attack).

Some times is so difficult to interact in a public forum. As you said, is really depressing 😪

In my case I don't understand the opposite opinion. All my friends that today have seen the Hellblade 2 video were disappointed, and they are worried by the state of the project. And here that opinion is condemned. Is it because is a Microsoft game and then any critic it's interpreted as a Sonyer attack? (the same for a game from Sony interpreted as a Xboxer attack).

Some times is so difficult to interact in a public forum. As you said, is really depressing 😪

There were a couple of flashes, and the only thing that I could express with certainty is that the flames do not look good. Something seems off with Senua's face, but it's hard to tell given how quickly everything was thrown at the viewer...

Last edited:

Greggy

There were a couple of flashes, and the only thing that I could express with certainty is that the flames do not look good. Something seems off with Senua's face, but it's hard to tell given how quickly everything was thrown at the viewer...
I wouldn’t worry about the flames… or the clouds in this game. They’re using all the most advanced techniques in rendering. They clearly waited for UE5 and they even mentioned the latest Epic has to offer in terms of character design (metahumans? ). The flames willl be the least of this game’s challenges.

Huh? How are the flames bad? Show me better, honestly I want to see better flames in a game if there are some I need to know where

Terrible trailer. Cant see shit.

Some shots looked great, but they were split second with a lot of flashing. Did they release any screenshots?
Did you not watch the video? The guy said it's not a trailer or a teaser, just a sneak peak at what we're doing.

Otherwise they would've shown the trailer at E3.

Fredrik

I didn’t understand what was in-game or in-engine here 🤔
Anyway if they’re going into full production soon then I don’t expect this until maybe 2024.

Shouldn't have showed this with the first Series X reveal. Made it out like it was a launch game or at least super close to release.

Still, looking good.
That's your own personal delusions. When they showed Hellblade II at the game awards with the Series X reveal Phil Spencer explicitly stated the game is in very early development...

JFC

Great Hair

Banned
Did you not watch the video? The guy said it's not a trailer or a teaser, just a sneak peak at what we're doing.

Otherwise they would've shown the trailer at E3.

Hellblade 1 2017 PS4
Hellblade 2 2022 or like someone claimed 2023 GOTY

No gameplay footage as of yet, as with Starfield "only a CGI glimpse" .. in 5+ years?! They prolly should not have wasted their time and resources on Bleeding Edge.

Running animation looks gamey af

they forgot to animate the hair ...

Last edited:

CamHostage

Huh? How are the flames bad? Show me better, honestly I want to see better flames in a game if there are some I need to know where
They weren't that sort of liquid simulation flame effect that a lot of people like (going way back to the Deep Down engine demo, which I think the new Harry Potter game has?) I think maybe that's still what's being looked at as the future of in-game fire, among other types of flame effects.

Not a big deal though, most games don't use that type of flame engine still (and Panta Rhea engine sadly flamed out without ever launching a game on it,) plus the flames in the Hellblade II video aren't meant to crawl or splash like that, they just sort of spark up as she runs, so it's fine for this purpose.

I wouldn’t worry about the flames… or the clouds in this game. They’re using all the most advanced techniques in rendering. They clearly waited for UE5 and they even mentioned the latest Epic has to offer in terms of character design (metahumans? ).

Eh, we need to be a little careful of that kind of, "It's on UE5, that's +1 better!!" mentality...

Aside from Lumen and Nanite, a lot of what's known to be exciting about what's in the upcoming Unreal Engine is already in the current Unreal Engine. For instance, the realtime cloud technology new to Unreal Engine (introduced in UE 4.26, not UE5) brings it up to a baseline of Volumetric Clouds for gaming use; a developer like Ninja Theory would still need to use a more advanced plugin (if not create their own) to create a complex weather system in the game.

UE5 is the start of awesome things; a developer still needs to take the project where it needs to go.

(That said, UE5 should be a nice and obvious fit for what NT is trying to achieve in HB2.)

Didn't Alex from DF say the TGA trailer they showed off was pre-rendered?

The whole thing about that tweet "confirming" the TGA trailer is a huge jump in logic. That model will be used for Senua (unless they change it,) and I think they even use it in realtime use in recording sessions (they did that a bit in the first game, where they had the character on-screen so they could direct the digital performance, not just the actor with a flashlight and football helmet on their heads...) but that video snippet isn't about saying that this is what the game can/will do; it's about the power of UE to allow such a realistic character to exist digitally, not that that render of that character in that trailer was performed on an Xbox that you can own some day. The real work to make a game of that character asset is still very much in the works.

Last edited:
They weren't that sort of liquid simulation flame effect that a lot of people like (going way back to the Deep Down engine demo, which I think the new Harry Potter game has?) Not a big deal though, most games don't use that type of flame engine still, plus the flames in the Hellblade II video aren't meant to crawl or splash like that, they just sort of spark up as she runs, so it's fine for this purpose.

Eh, we need to be a little careful of that kind of, "It's on UE5, that's +1 better!!" mentality...

Aside from Lumen and Nanite, a lot of what's known to be exciting about what's in the upcoming Unreal Engine is already in the current Unreal Engine. For instance, the realtime cloud technology new to Unreal Engine (introduced in UE 4.26, not UE5) brings it up to a baseline of Volumetric Clouds for gaming use; a developer like Ninja Theory would still need to use a more advanced plugin (if not create their own) to create a complex weather system in the game.

UE5 is the start of awesome things; a developer still needs to take the project where it needs to go.

(That said, UE5 should be a nice and obvious fit for what NT is trying to achieve in HB2.)
Where are those liquid flames in games though? I’ve never seen them and I’m actually annoyed they don’t exist yet - do some actual 3D games have that type of flame simulation?

That looks pretty amazing and I presume that's taken from whatever work is already done in UE4? Mind boggles what it will look like when complete on UE5.
Yeah this is all in engine, not prerendered as some are suggesting. Obviously its probably 2023 but switching over to UE5 is going to take a little more time. I said Ninja Theory are going to be the benchmark for real-time graphics in the industry before this generation is over, this just cements that.

3liteDragon

Yeah the guys at Epic Games were wrong.
I don't doubt that we'll get models like that in real-time in the game, but Alex's analysis makes sense too. To me looking at this image, Epic isn't explicitly saying here that the trailer is running in real-time. They're showing examples of what their real-time models will look like in the future on UE5, go watch the video I put on my earlier post and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
That's your own personal delusions. When they showed Hellblade II at the game awards with the Series X reveal Phil Spencer explicitly stated the game is in very early development...

JFC

I thought that it had just started production back then...18 months later, and they are just about to do that. Yeah, no...

Andodalf

Banned
Trailer shows almost nothing. In fact is one of the worst trailer I've seen. And combining real images with 3D images only contributes to add more confusion about the real quality of what we're seeing.

Personally, if a developer needs to hide their work with this confusing cut of effects and scenes is a bad sign. If you don't have anything ready to show, no problem, I can't wait, but don't try to fool me.

LMAO dude watch the video before the shit post. He literally says it’s not a trailer, and not a teaser, just something to show what the team is up to. FOH

Really looking forward to see what the team can pull off.

It's annoying though, Microsoft were so adamant on showing footage from the game to showcase the Series X debut back in late 2019, since then there still hasn't been any gameplay footage. As with the rest of the studios, I imagine the pandemic affected production and development heavily so maybe that's why.

Top Bottom