• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA to develop a new Wipeout game for Sony | Bandai Namco to also work on a PlayStation IP

Perrott

Gold Member
SPELNsy.png

According to Head on the Block, a user from the ResetEra PlayStation OT who seems to potentially be in the know about some of Sony's future plans, the console maker would have begun to scale down its push for live-service games in the long term, instead opting to revitalize legacy PlayStation IPs through collaborations with third-party publishers.

Head on the Block seems to have heard that some of these publishers would be Bandai Namco and SEGA, the latter of which would apparently be in charge of developing a new Wipeout game, as teased by the user. It is worth noting that SEGA not only has a long history of creating some truly legendary racing games (Daytona USA, OutRun or Sega Rally, just to name a few) but also that they were the ones to develop F-Zero AX and F-Zero GX for arcades and GameCube, respectively.

All that said, the user warns us to not expect to see the results of this new IP outsourcing strategy from Sony until several years have passed, meaning that we are likely looking at releases late into the PS5 generation for these Bandai Namco and SEGA games.

Source

According to Head on the Block, a user from the ResetEra PlayStation OT who seems to potentially be in the know about some of Sony's future plans, the console maker would have begun to scale down its push for live-service games in the long term, instead opting to revitalize legacy PlayStation IPs through collaborations with third-party publishers.

Head on the Block seems to have heard that some of these publishers would be Bandai Namco and SEGA, the latter of which would apparently be in charge of developing a new Wipeout game, as teased by the user. It is worth noting that SEGA not only has a long history of creating some truly legendary racing games (Daytona USA, OutRun or Sega Rally, just to name a few) but also that they were the ones to develop F-Zero AX and F-Zero GX for arcades and GameCube, respectively.

All that said, the user warns us to not expect to see the results of this new IP outsourcing strategy from Sony until several years have passed, meaning that we are likely looking at releases late into the PS5 generation for these Bandai Namco and SEGA games.

Source

That makes zero sense.

Perrott

Gold Member
We're going to scale back on Live Service and instead use 3rd parties to breath new life into old IP that never did particularly well.

70602899-16d2-41ba-b9f1-8fddf256eac3_text.gif
Honestly, it does sound about right, at least looking at how Deviation's game was canned, Firesprite's action shooter was canned and Naughty Dog's Factions is on ice.

At this point, the smart move would be to see which of the remaining live-service games (Helldivers II, Concord, Fairgame$, Horizon Online, Twisted Metal, London's MP game, Insomniac's MP game) actually do end up sticking to the wall before going wild about greenlighting another wave of live-service games as large as this one.

YCoCg

Maybe bit of a stretch here but a lot of developers who made Wipeout went on to Codemasters and Sumo Digital after Sony shut them down, don't Sumo Digital have a close relationship with SEGA?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Honestly, it does sound about right, at least looking at how Deviation's game was canned, Firesprite's action shooter was canned and Naughty Dog's Factions is on ice.

At this point, the smart move would be to see which of the remaining live-service games (Helldivers II, Concord, Fairgame$, Horizon Online, Twisted Metal, London's MP game, Insomniac's MP game) actually do end up sticking to the wall before going wild about greenlighting another wave of live-service games as large as this one.

Sony Business Briefings May 2022: 55% Live Service + 45% traditional.

Sony Business Briefings May 2023: 60% Live Service + 40% traditional.

The 3 games you listed all got the axe / put on ice, prior to May 2023.

They've created a Live Service Center of Excellence with Bungie. The smart play is to treat this endeavor as, far and away, your top priority and to constantly be looking where to effectively invest in Live Service...which is likely what they're doing. If anything, PlayStation needs more gas pedal and less brake, when it comes to LS. If I'm PlayStation right now, I'm cutting a check for Embark Studios next.

Unsuccessful IP created by 3rd party studios reads like a joke.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Really hope so. Give us a VR mode as well. Also he'll yes on legacy games a d 3rd party partnerships.
You want Wipeout in VR?
I would probably puke in less than a minute lol

Anyhow the idea of Sega and Namco being back on arcade racers gets me super excited!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think they need to scale down live service games.

Though I doubt this rumor is true, it'd be a good idea to fund these additional games by third-party teams.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm sure if they were to make a Wipeout game that doesn't make much sense today, it would be made by Firesprite not Sega or Bandai Namco....

Exactly my thoughts. Seeing as Firesprite is the successor to Wipeout's creator, Psygnosis. That massive publisher from 30 years ago that Sony rocked the industry by purchasing and leaving millions of gamers to fear Lemmings going exclusive. It would make much more sense to ask them to work on it.

Namco were involved in the very first wipeout game.

I don't believe this is accurate. The first game was developed and published by Psygnosis. Who were owned by Sony at the time but in a very similar situation then as Bungie is now.

Wipeout was my first VR game on PSVR and in general, it was an amazing experience. Well, of course with VR it depends on the person.
It's certainly a far less puke inducing game that most. I had a lot of problems on that camp with a lot of different game ( Driveclub vr, for ex. I couldn't play for more of 15 minutes' sessions, but also much slower game like like RE7vr and Skyrim vr will cause me problem after relatively short sesions) but I found WipeOut strangely " comfortable"

CamHostage

I don't really believe the source on this rumor, but if there happened to be any reality to this, it sounds like a cute idea. I'd like to see some more external development brought in to work on dormant properties in the PlayStation library.

However...

I reject a non-british wipeout.

I agree (although Wipeout Omega was ported by a Swedish company as well as UK's Clever Beans,) there are just not many games if any with such a specific national identity, and this would mark a sad end of an era. Although there are currently places to get some form of that Brit Wipeout flavor these days (for a bit in the aftermath, it seemed like every expat of the Studio Liverpool closure formed their own studio to make a Wipeout clone...) but I would prefer to live with hope that Sony will do the right thing and bring Wipeout back than see some kind of reboot that severs the lineage, albeit ultimately what matters is if it is good.

(There has never been a PlayStation platform without a Wipeout, even though the PS4 game was a remaster'ish and Sony USA didn't even publish its own PS2 game, so hopefully something comes along for the franchise one way or another for PS5.)

Fredrik

Skyrim vr will cause me problem after relatively short sesions
Skyrim VR is an odd one. I have zero issues then the ground is fairly flat but as soon as I walk in the wild and uneven ground makes the viewpoint go up and and down my head says ”Nope”. Love everything else about the game though, HIGGS and VRIK mods makes it among the best VR experiences I’ve had. I planned to go through it all that way but sadly couldn’t do it because of that motion sickness problem. I think the problem is that I see things move in a way where my body should feel it but can’t.

Regarding Wipeout in VR. I guess if I could play with a wheel it would work. I’ve played lots of Assetto Corsa, zero issues, reverse from Skyrim I guess the force feedback from the wheel helps my mind by letting me feel what I see.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda hope it's bullshit. I have no doubt that Sega's team would be able to pump out a sublime racer, but Wipeout is about as aesthetically uninteresting as the genre gets. F-Zero has personality. I want more of that.

Top Bottom