• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea levels may be rising faster than expected due to climate change (Slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Sometimes I feel the real reason conservatives deny climate change is because they want the floods to wash away the dirty liberals from the coasts

When push comes to shove, though, people are going to pay the money for dikes and sea walls because the majority of the population and money is concentrated in cities. It's the poor yokels on the coasts who will suffer most, and that's conservatives' demos (such as here in Virginia, where people on the shore refuse to believe in rising sea levels, even as the Navy there has been rebuilding its piers higher and higher, and the damage due to climate change will be even worse since the area is actually sinking due to an impact crater anyhow.)

Hrothgar

Us Dutch are going to make a killing out of this!

We just have to remember to increase our own coastal defenses! I live roughly 3 meters under sea level.

Who am I kidding, I will move to Germany!

"sea level rise of at least 10 feet in as little as 50 years"

They don't actually know. Like most of these theories it's just something someone hopes happens so they can get their name in a book or something. Substantial sea level rises have probably happened millions of times on earth. We'll just live under the sea like im sure other civilizations did.

Actual data show a melt doubling rate of about 10 years for both antarctica and greenland.

They Have... Ever heard of Meltwater Pulse 1 A?

Also, did you see the study last year which showed that the West Antarctic Ice sheet is undergoing irriversible retreat? New research out this year shows the same thing for the Antarctic penensula, and that Totten Glacier alone in East Antarctica, which has as half as much ice as the WAIS, MAY be undergoing the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5ZUnps9k8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l9lzLsBRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PEi0Retg8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDB_C-jwkU

A friend of mine recently told me that most natural volcanoes produce more heat than humans could ever produce via cars/power plants ect,ect.
and this is been going on since forever.

Anyone, agree with this?

Large eruptions are point events. They don't occur every day, or even every year. Human influences are a constant, and it's a huge amount that's being laid on top of natural sources.

The carbon budget is complicated, but there is a certain amount that can be regularly regulated/recycled (the ocean is a large carbon sink for instance). The issue we have now is that we are going way over that stable point.

Does this effect lakes?

good question. The sea level is rising for two reasons.

a.) thermal expasnion- warmer water takes up more space. and

b.) ice on land melting and flowing into the ocean.

currently thermal expansion accounts for about half of sea level rise
'
If you look at the data though, antarctic ice sheet melt has tripled in 10 years. Greenland's melt has doubled in 5. Both ice sheets are accelerating in their melt, with a melt rate doubling time of 5- 12 years.

Resulting famine would be devastating.
Climate change affects crops in different ways because there is more than one thing happening. Yes there is more CO2 and it will get warmer, but “warmer” means quite a few different things. I would like to offer a quick survey to help people appreciate what we are facing.

Let’s start with rising seas. A two meter rise in sea level may not seem like much if you are thinking of the cliffs of Dover, but for low lying places like Bangladesh and Florida it is huge. Some of the worlds best agricultural land is in river deltas like the Nile and the Mekong which are very close to sea level.

The greater threat from rising sea levels is not actual flooding, but infiltration of ground water by sea water. Once the ground water becomes saline the salt migrates up through the soil and turns productive land into a salt desert.

A two meter rise in sea level can affect agricultural land quite some distance from the ocean. A majority of the world’s food production is within 5 m of sea level.
Add to this massive extinction from marine fauna and flora if the sea temperature is raised by 2°C or more. And a lot of other stuff.
We will be basically have to adapt to the harshest climate change in the history of our species. And this one is here to stay.

cajunator

Banned
Us Dutch are going to make a killing out of this!

We just have to remember to increase our own coastal defenses! I live roughly 3 meters under sea level.

Who am I kidding, I will move to Germany!

Louisiana is already the fastest disappearing land on Earth so we are just waiting for other parts of the world to join in lol.
Something on the order of a football fields worth of land every day is lost to the gulf.

Acorn

Here's 3m.

Sonic_drown_noise.gif
Glad I'm scottish.

waypoetic

Banned
A friend of mine recently told me that most natural volcanoes produce more heat than humans could ever produce via cars/power plants ect,ect.

Anyone, agree with this?
There's your next target America. Bomb the shit out of those volcanos

At what point does the real estate and insurance market start to factor this in?

When do you stop building mansions by the ocean, and billion dollar condo towers?

FtsH

At what point does the real estate and insurance market start to factor this in?

When do you stop building mansions by the ocean, and billion dollar condo towers?

I would start investing real estate in major inland cities, as the backup for the costal ones.
Just imaging all the bankers and billionaires moving away from NYC, Boston, SF, LA to...maybe somewhere in middle Ohio? Maybe then my house can be purchased for the future site of Neo-One World Trade Center...

dubq

I work in the coal industry so you can probably just discredit my opinion right off the top. That said, yes.

We should continue to research and transition towards renewable sources of energy but forcefully accelerating that timeline with overly-restrictive regulations does nothing but shoot us in the foot. Instead of killing off industries that provide thousands of good jobs to Americans we should find ways to burn coal and NG cleaner and more efficiently while this inevitable transition is taking place.

because__murica_by_redalgae-d64g72t.png

I would start investing real estate in major inland cities, as the backup for the costal ones.
Just imaging all the bankers and billionaires moving away from NYC, Boston, SF, LA to...maybe somewhere in middle Ohio? Maybe then my house can be purchased for the future site of Neo-One World Trade Center...

No, really. Places like NYC are too valuable. Theyve already spent millions designing levee and dam systems to block the harbor. It will cost tens of billions to build, but you must protect big business at all cost.

Miami on the other hand? Goodbye.

Anyone, agree with this?

Heat has nothing to do with global warming, it's levels of greenhouse gasses that is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom