• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

Matt

Not really. PS4 Pro is a simple upgrade. Scorpio is a console thought to give developers more freedom to develop their creativity without being constrained by hw limitations.
Who said that? Hopefully no one, and no one should expect that. Visual and preformance upgrades is pretty much all you are going to get.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Akronis

Why should a custom SOC be on the table? We are not talking about a product that is coming out in the PC market, we are talking about a custom project for MS and as such, they may want to keep its details secret until the reveal.

The fucking CEO of AMD said that custom SoC designs were not happening until Q1 2018 (if I remember correctly). The Scorpio would be using a custom SoC. It's not happening.

Zedox

Can I see you tears when you come out disappointed? They will bring me joy.

Really tho, it's gonna be ok with a Zenless Scorpio.

I'm not saying it definitely not going to be Zen, or that SenjutsuSage is wrong. But I would rather call him a very enthused fan with big hopes of Zen then an insider.

He said he spoke to an actual insider who works for MS. So I wasn't referring to SenjutsuSage as the insider, but to the person he actually to spoke to at E3. And, I also remember a confirmed NeoGaf insider suggesting the same thing earlier, but I can't find the post. As I said, maybe Zen was the original plan, and maybe it still is. We will know for sure only when Scorpio will be revealed.

What is a Zen CPU going to enable the Scorpio to do that's so special. Keeping in mind that if it did have one it would be a low powered version not a full fat desktop variant. So maybe let's say 2x more powerful than the Jaguar?

Stable frame rates. You see what a minor unlock did for the One S. Imagine more beef.

My bet is on it having zen. The whole phrase from the ceo about custom chips based on zen coming in 2018 did not specifically say anything. it was vague and not specific at all.

All signs seem to point to them using a custom chip with vega and i bet zen is involved in it.

Scorpio launches just right before 2018 and it's not farfetched to believe that scorpio would be zen based. We're talking about a billion+ $ contract for millions upon millions of chips. AMD would bend over backwards for that $.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Scorpio launches just right before 2018 and it's not farfetched to believe that scorpio would be zen based. We're talking about a billion+ $ contract for millions upon millions of chips. AMD would bend over backwards for that $.

MS's money is not different from anyone else's. If the semi custom designs are not going to be ready they are not going to be ready.

The fucking CEO of AMD said that custom SoC designs were not happening until Q1 2018 (if I remember correctly). The Scorpio would be using a custom SoC. It's not happening.

He would not be allowed to talk about Scorpio without MS permission even if it were to release tomorrow with a custom SoC design. Also, we already saw AMD tech coming earlier to consoles, e.g. unified architecture in the Xbox 360 GPU that was introduced much earlier than its PC counterpart.

Matt

My bet is on it having zen. The whole phrase from the ceo about custom chips based on zen coming in 2018 did not specifically say anything. it was vague and not specific at all.

All signs seem to point to them using a custom chip with vega and i bet zen is involved in it.

Well, irrespective of anything else, that's a terrible argument. AMD has the CPU contract with or without Zen.

What is a Zen CPU going to enable the Scorpio to do that's so special. Keeping in mind that if it did have one it would be a low powered version not a full fat desktop variant. So maybe let's say 2x more powerful than the Jaguar?

Read up on the AMD Ryzen cpu that's launching next wk. That is zen. It's a powerful CPU architecture that will be competing with intel's i7 class cpus.

Zen is magnitudes more capable than the shit tier jaguar cores which are cpus made for cheap netbooks. They're not even in the same league.

Akronis

He would not be allowed to talk about Scorpio without MS permission even if it were to release tomorrow with a custom SoC design. Also, we already saw AMD tech coming earlier to consoles, e.g. unified architecture in the Xbox 360 GPU that was introduced much earlier than its PC counterpart.

Custom SoC literally has nothing to do with PC. Unless the CEO of AMD is lying, it's not happening.

I don't think Zen is needed, as long as they can stick in a Jaguar or Puma that isn't clocked at a low speed.

PS4 Pro has seen a nice bump with it's 2.1GHz CPU (up from 1.6GHz) so as long as MS stick in a CPU that is clocked at something like 2.5GHz - 3GHz, it should produce decent performance, without the extra cost that Zen will add.

Bobnob

We have a good idea that Forza 7 will target 4k locked 60fps, it'll be kind of a disappointment if its upscaled wont it ??? Would zen be able to produce this ? would Jaguar ??

I don't think Zen is needed, as long as they can stick in a Jaguar or Puma that isn't clocked at a low speed.

PS4 Pro has seen a nice bump with it's 2.1GHz CPU (up from 1.6GHz) so as long as MS stick in a CPU that is clocked at something like 2.5GHz - 3GHz, it should produce decent performance, without the extra cost that Zen will add.

Jaguar doesn't clock that high from what I recall

Inuhanyou

They didnt say they wont be ready. Just that custom solutions into 2018. Go look up her statement. Im on mobile. Lol

"We can look to see semicustom designs going into the 2018, 2019 timeframe"

That means = not ready

We have a good idea that Forza 7 will target 4k locked 60fps, it'll be kind of a disappointment if its upscaled wont it ??? Would zen be able to produce this ? would Jaguar ??

Forza already gets 60fps on normal XB1. The GPU is only needed to get higher res

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This literally is not true. In fact its the exact opposite.

Similar thought has been suggested by people who would be more in the know than you or I.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228989509

All consoles now are x86 PCs and the architecture will remain the same, that's why Sony was able to quickly iterate on the PS4 and make a beefier version of it.

Scorpio is a next-gen machine with the added benefit that all your old games will still be compatible. From this point on, similar to PCs, you'll not lose your library when you buy a next-gen system. I guess since NeoGAF is confsued, Microsoft will need to do a little work to make it clear to everyone that Scorpio isn't just a half-assed upgrade (which the PS4 Pro kinda is...), but a full blown next-gen machine that's just backwards-compatible to your current library.

EDIT: Switched source since original source was GAF.

Stable frame rates. You see what a minor unlock did for the One S. Imagine more beef.

Sure, that's what you would get which is nice. But it isn't going to make the Scorpio an entirely different machine like some seem to believe.

Read up on the AMD Ryzen cpu that's launching next wk. That is zen. It's a powerful CPU architecture that will be competing with intel's i7 class cpus.

Zen is magnitudes more capable than the shit tier jaguar cores which are cpus made for cheap netbooks. They're not even in the same league.

I know exactly what it is. As I said, if it did have one it would be one of the weakest ones possible most likely. Comparing it to the high end desktop parts is pointless.

Sydle

A brand new CPU arch is not necessary for 4K at all. However, it'd still be a huge benefit for open world games.

But most games are being designed with Playstation 4 in mind, which is using Jaguar. Who would go out of their way to create a big open world game that doesn't work well on PS4?

Space_nut

If it's 60fps on og XB1 it'll be 60fps on Scorpio even if it had the exact same CPU with no upgrades.

Akronis

But most games are being designed with Playstation 4 in mind, which is using Jaguar. Who would go out of their way to create a big open world game that doesn't work well on PS4?

Uhhhhhhh, you'd give each platform it's own development goals and make it the best you can for each platform.

Like most multi-plat games are made? What do you think they're doing with the PS4 Pro vs. the PS4?

Inuhanyou

Similar thought has been suggested by people who would be more in the know than you or I.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/25/scorp...s-ori-and-the-blind-forest-developer-6405634/

This cites NeoGAF, and I forgot that's where he said it lol

The term next generation machine is nebulous in itself when your only talking in terms of power metrics, to say nothing of hyperbole, the guy said pro was half assed as well, which implies some sort of confrontational bias on his part in regards to MS and Sony

One S had a GPU boost, not a CPU boost. If anything, your point supports the fact that a Scorpio that relies a lot more on a GPU than a CPU boost, is a solid choice.

Also, unless you are trying to push framerates past 60fps, which I sincerely doubt Scorpio will be aiming for outside of VR (which will be running at resolutions far lower than 4k anyways), then a CPU upgrade, while nice, is much less of a concern for Scorpio. If you look at PSVR on PS4 Pro, even that meager CPU upgrade is working out fine. We can at the very least expect Scorpio to have a faster CPU than PS4 Pro, and if anything, not moving to completely new CPU architecture could be the factor that allows Scorpio to still release at a great price point, if true.

I'm quite interested to see how this actually pans out.

One S had a GPU boost, not a CPU boost. If anything, your point supports the fact that a Scorpio that relies a lot more on a GPU than a CPU boost, is a solid choice.

I'm quite interested to see how this actually pans out.

You're right, it was only a GPU and ESRAM boost. I was thinking it was both.

It would be pretty insane if they got Zen in this thing. Would definitely make it a monster that completely outclasses the Pro. But they'd have to eat shit on the cost to sell it at a reasonable price, I suspect.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The term next generation machine is nebulous in itself when your only talking in terms of power metrics, to say nothing of hyperbole, the guy said pro was half assed as well, which implies some sort of confrontational bias on his part in regards to MS and Sony

He clarified his Pro comments later, and Mahler always seems reasonable. He's not necessarily an unbiased source given Ori, but you're not going to find that when talking about Scorpio given little details we know. We do know that the rumors point to it being more powerful than even some originally thought.

My point was that there was evidence of the Scorpio being more of a next gen leap than the PS4 Pro.

Here are his comments clarifying the PS4 Pro comment. I tried to pick a source that didn't give much spotlight on those comments as I felt it may take away from the intention of his original post:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229101641&postcount=1009

Thank you :)

I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore and I definitely should have picked my wording more carefully... You never quite know which sentence a journalist might pick up on and might turn into a saucy headline that might infuriate fans of some platform.

This is the second time already that I took part in some discussion on GAF only to then see something I thought was a somewhat innocent comment (again, calling a platform half-assed definitely wasn't the nicest way of putting things, I know. I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes my wording can come off as a bit rude) to blow up in my face after the press picked up on it. I'm just a dev who loves games and take part in these passionate discussions :)

Sorry if I offended anybody, wasn't my intention!

Akronis

Since when does AMD use consoles to illustrate their roadmap with regard to their upcoming tech?

Do you think console SoC design is just some independent department at AMD that works in secrecy to develop these products?

Custom SoC are console territory. CEO of AMD said not until Q1 of 2018. Just stop.

Sydle

The same people that release on PC?

Didn't Spencer say all games on Scorpio except VR will run on the original Xbox One?

I'm just saying all games targeting Xbox and Playstation are with Jaguar in mind, so it's not like we'd see a new class of open world games if Scorpio did include Zen.

Uhhhhhhh, you'd give each platform it's own development goals and make it the best you can for each platform.

Like most multi-plat games are made? What do you think they're doing with the PS4 Pro vs. the PS4?

Scorpio is likely to have the least amount of market share of all the consoles. My gut instinct is that most devs will reuse as much as they can from what they're doing on PS4 Pro and leave it at that.

>Insider
>SenjutsuSage

0UjJ7o2.gif

Yeah a device we know next to nothing about.

OT - The fuck is going on in this thread?

Well, its not Zen.

Do you think console SoC design is just some independent department at AMD that works in secrecy to develop these products?

Custom SoC are console territory. CEO of AMD said not until Q1 of 2018. Just stop.

Actually, they do work in secrecy; in fact, I am positive the all sign NDAs for not disclosing information about what they are developing for MS, and thus the CEO would not be allowed to talk about it.

Electret

Actually, they do work in secrecy; in fact, I am positive the all sign NDAs for not disclosing information about what they are developing for MS, and thus the CEO would not be allowed to talk about it.

This might be the tenth time I've seen this argument. Bit of a useless bump just to retread the same stuff.

Mosse

Neo Member
He said he spoke to an actual insider who works for MS. So I wasn't referring to SenjutsuSage as the insider, but to the person he actually to spoke to at E3. And, I also remember a confirmed NeoGaf insider suggesting the same thing earlier, but I can't find the post. As I said, maybe Zen was the original plan, and maybe it still is. We will know for sure only when Scorpio will be revealed.

Don't expect to win over a lot of people with that quote is all I'm saying. If there is any other insiders with better track record and not second hand sources saying to expect Zen, then sure.

Didn't Spencer say all games on Scorpio except VR will run on the original Xbox One?

I'm just saying all games targeting Xbox and Playstation are with Jaguar in mind, so it's not like we'd see a new class of open world games if Scorpio did include Zen.

Scorpio is likely to have the least amount of market share of all the consoles. My gut instinct is that most devs will reuse as much as they can from what they're doing on PS4 Pro and leave it at that.

I don't think you have to leave people behind. Forza and GOW ran on xbox one fine and on PC @ 4k.

Akronis

I meant secrecy in regarding to other departments in AMD. It's ridiculous hyperbole because Zen is not happening for Scorpio.

No matter how hard you wish it, it's not happening.

Inuhanyou

He clarified his Pro comments later, and Mahler always seems reasonable. He's not necessarily an unbiased source given Ori, but you're not going to find that when talking about Scorpio given little details we know. We do know that the rumors point to it being more powerful than even some originally thought.

My point was that there was evidence of the Scorpio being more of a next gen leap than the PS4 Pro.

Here are his comments clarifying the PS4 Pro comment. I tried to pick a source that didn't give much spotlight on those comments as I felt it may take away from the intention of his original post:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229101641&postcount=1009

Well...yeah, but that says nothing about Zen is my main thrust, and more about Scorpio being stronger than Pro, which we already knew.

Top Bottom