• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

krang

Stinkles right now:

raw

borges

Banned
Haha, although I probably "know" in that I might have seen it in a slide or something, it's literally not something I have time to think about now and I actually couldn't remember whatever specs I've been exposed to even if I was tortured. I literally couldn't leak or answer a question that went beyond "Can I do this? Does it support that? How many of these could it render?"

What I do remember is that it's beefier than I expected.

The interesting part here is that Stinkles said he dont even had time to pay attention to some of the Scorpio's info he eventually got access to. #WorkingOnHalo6For2017Confirmed

etta

my hard graphic balls
The interesting part here is that Stinkles said he dont even had time to pay attention to some of the Scorpio's info he eventually got access to. #WorkingOnHalo6For2017Confirmed
Maybe he's just got a lot of toilets to keep clean? I heard Redmond campus is pretty big...

Haha, although I probably "know" in that I might have seen it in a slide or something, it's literally not something I have time to think about now and I actually couldn't remember whatever specs I've been exposed to even if I was tortured. I literally couldn't leak or answer a question that went beyond "Can I do this? Does it support that? How many of these could it render?"

By beefier I think his referring the all package... so I believe the GPU will remain 6 TF but the CPU side is more powerful than he thought ;)

NuKERxyz

Sry but it had to be asked... are you vegetarian zen guy or a beefier jaguar meat guy?

Hug from Portugal Frank ;)

FuturusX

Maybe he's just got a lot of toilets to keep clean? I heard Redmond campus is pretty big...

Yikes...

I cannot wait to buy a Scorpio when it drops.

I buy all the consoles even when they initially suck (Xbox 1 and Jaguar) and eventually come good or just stay sucking ( N-gage ) so Scorpio is is mine without question, but I do think they have to really deliver at E3 to justify the existence of this thing. Messaging thus far seems full of vaguary.

With the lack of quality coming out of first party studios right now, I wonder if they are going to leverage third party software heavily upgraded on Scorpio and present them as third party chicken coated in a first party secret sauce...

Aka Red Dead soaked in so many visual upgrades it 'feels' like an exclusive first party game.

RoKKeR

In panos we trust

No matter the specs... this, basically. One S was the first Xbox console designed under the Panos-led hardware division, and it shows. Their impressive work is continuing to show, too, with the Surface Studio and other great looking hardware.

FuturusX

No matter the specs... this, basically. One S was the first Xbox console designed under the Panos-led hardware division, and it shows. Their impressive work is continuing to show, too, with the Surface Studio and other great looking hardware.

This is true, I only picked up an XBOX post S revision, the design shift was clear and I was happy I waited. Now if only the same thing could be applied to the awful UI...

anothertech

Thats fair. And thx for your input. Makes these threads more interesting. Sorry if my thread about your post caused you any kind of headache yesterday lol.

Now, bring us back some split screen Halo goodness Frank. We're counting on you!

Me 2

Senjitsu, why set yourself up for disappointment? It seems like it will be a great powerful little console. Why set your expectations so high only to be disappointed later when it's exactly what they said it would be?

I can't wait for Halo 6 Frank. The little things bothered me in 5, like low res player intros in 4v4. And in Overwatch with low res end of game screens. Looking forward to Scorpio pushing past these little annoyances and boosting image quality.

I'm perfectly fine with it being exactly what they said it was, and I think what they already described it as being will be pretty damn awesome. I'm just speculating based on what information is out there regarding Vega, while accounting for the usual clock speed decrease that takes place on consoles, and then from there extrapolating where a potential Scorpio GPU could end up. A big part of the fun in anticipation of a new console release is speculating on it. No more no less. I just know the next Halo on this thing is going to be wow...

Hawk269

I'm perfectly fine with it being exactly what they said it was, and I think what they already described it as being will be pretty damn awesome. I'm just speculating based on what information is out there regarding Vega, while accounting for the usual clock speed decrease that takes place on consoles, and then from there extrapolating where a potential Scorpio GPU could end up. A big part of the fun in anticipation of a new console release is speculating on it. No more no less. I just know the next Halo on this thing is going to be wow...

I think the bolded is a big thing many here and in other threads are missing. It is fun speculating on what might be, weather that speculation is outlandish or not, it is just fun. I know there are those that are a bit more to the point and regardless of what facts are available believe and fight that it end up with these amazing components. At the end of the day, it is still all speculation. People like Frankie or Matt since they are in the industry bring in different parts of the discussion because of their positions, but still at the end of the day it is all speculation by 98% of the people posting in this and other threads like it.

Like you, I would be happy with the revealed specs and am hoping for pretty much anything other than Jaguar as the CPU...but I have said in other threads that I do think the 6tf number is not going to be the final number on the GPU performance. The 6tf was mentioned to the public back in May, which would put it about 16 months from that number being given to a purchasable product in November. I would think something that far out that perhaps, like many have said that maybe 6tf in November 2017 is not as impressive as a 6tf GPU in May of 2016. I am not suggesting some Titan X level TF performance, but something "beefier" than 6tf.

I think the bolded is a big thing many here and in other threads are missing. It is fun speculating on what might be, weather that speculation is outlandish or not, it is just fun. I know there are those that are a bit more to the point and regardless of what facts are available believe and fight that it end up with these amazing components. At the end of the day, it is still all speculation. People like Frankie or Matt since they are in the industry bring in different parts of the discussion because of their positions, but still at the end of the day it is all speculation by 98% of the people posting in this and other threads like it.

Like you, I would be happy with the revealed specs and am hoping for pretty much anything other than Jaguar as the CPU...but I have said in other threads that I do think the 6tf number is not going to be the final number on the GPU performance. The 6tf was mentioned to the public back in May, which would put it about 16 months from that number being given to a purchasable product in November. I would think something that far out that perhaps, like many have said that maybe 6tf in November 2017 is not as impressive as a 6tf GPU in May of 2016. I am not suggesting some Titan X level TF performance, but something "beefier" than 6tf.

Agreed. Not just that, Vega is expected to be notably more efficient in the power department. There's no telling what they might be able to clock the GPU at, or how much headroom there is to safely push clock speed a little higher for more performance. For all we know, it's possible as of last year when Microsoft announced it they already settled on a certain chip configuration from AMD, and as a result there isn't much that can change from there other than to see how far they can push the core clock. I, too, am hoping for a CPU other than jaguar. I'd be extremely surprised to see Jaguar in there. I've ruled it out entirely.

Jinx, I think it will almost certainly end up being a Vega GPU. No way Microsoft waits and doesn't get Vega. Vega is more of a sure thing than Zen imo.

edit:: Hey, you guys see this?

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-10-20-slides-double-precision-performance-1500-mhz-vega-10-x2-2017/

Is AMD finally matching Nvidia in the core clock department for their GPUs with Vega? Know the widely held view that Nvidia flops aren't the same as AMD's? I always thought a major part of that was the raw core clock speed advantage that Nvidia GPUs have, which contributed to the view, right or wrong, that Nvidia somehow gets more bang for their flops than AMD does. And here is a big one.

you are looking at a Vega 10 graphics card that is clocked at roughly 1526 MHz assuming it has the same amount of NCUs. Considering the fact that the MI25 is passively cooled and also if the consumer version has less cores, it will be clocked significantly higher than the 1526 MHz mark!

*Phil walks on stage

"Today is an important day to show the gamers across the world that we are listening to them."

"We heard you wanted more. So we worked harder. Bringing more back compat than any other console and continuing to bring innovation like Dolby Atmos enabled games first on Xbox."

"We also know there is a very important PC gamer and that is why we have Play Anywhere."

"SO LET ME TELL YOU WHY TODAY IS IMPORTANT AND ANOTHER STEP WE ARE TAKING HERE AT MICROSOFT TO EARN THE TRUST OF GAMERS WORLDRIDE"

*fades to black - screen goes on

Xbox Scorpio Holiday 2017
7.6TF of Gpu powered by Vega
X.xmhz of Cpu powered by 8 Core ZEN
12Gb RAM of DDr5x
48mb esram
Bluray 4k drive
Hdmi 2.1
Ir blaster
Improved wifi

Price (
gotchabitch
!)

*Phil walks on stage

12Gb RAM of DDr5x
48mb esram
Bluray 4k drive
Hdmi 2.1
Ir blaster
Improved wifi

Price (
gotchabitch
!)
This won't work.
Esram is useless with 320gbit/s band with ram. So either edram, or more likely non at all.
They also won't do 12gb gddr5x ram.
Either 12gb regular gddr5 ram on a 384bit bus interface or 8/16gb gddr5x ram on 256bit bus interface

spannicus

*Phil walks on stage

"Today is an important day to show the gamers across the world that we are listening to them."

"We heard you wanted more. So we worked harder. Bringing more back compat than any other console and continuing to bring innovation like Dolby Atmos enabled games first on Xbox."

"We also know there is a very important PC gamer and that is why we have Play Anywhere."

"SO LET ME TELL YOU WHY TODAY IS IMPORTANT AND ANOTHER STEP WE ARE TAKING HERE AT MICROSOFT TO EARN THE TRUST OF GAMERS WORLDRIDE"

12Gb RAM of DDr5x
48mb esram
Bluray 4k drive
Hdmi 2.1
Ir blaster
Improved wifi

Price (
gotchabitch
!)
You got spencer down lol

-hadouken

I just hope they're willing to house all these goodies in a large enough enclosure to keep it nice and quiet. My fav thing about the X1 was that lovely big fan!

Proelite

*Phil walks on stage

12Gb RAM of DDr5x
48mb esram
Bluray 4k drive
Hdmi 2.1
Ir blaster
Improved wifi

Price (
gotchabitch
!)

So much fail in one technical post.

8 core Zen is probably 200m and 95W. If they're using Ryzen, itll be four core with SMT, which should easily be 2x Jaguar in Perf at 1.75 ghz. You use a thread to emulate Jaguar and still have processing power leftover.

48mb esram is totally unnecessary. If they need it for hardware BC, then 32mb should be it and only 32mb. That's 50mm die space.

You're console has a 500mm large SOC with a >=200W TDP. Totally overkill for a console that's supposed to play Xb1 games at 4k, even with better framerate and higher graphic settings.

12GB of GDDR5 on 384 bit bus or 16GB of GDDR5X on 256 bit bus.

Adam429

Hopefully it is so powerful you can bring back 4 player split screen.

8 core Zen is probably 200m and 95W. If they're using Ryzen, itll be four core with SMT, which should easily be 2x Jaguar in Perf at 1.75 ghz. You use a thread to emulate Jaguar and still have processing power leftover.

48mb esram is totally unnecessary. If they need it for hardware BC, then 32mb should be it and only 32mb. That's 50mm die space.

You're console has a 500mm large SOC with a >=200W TDP. Totally overkill for a console that's supposed to play Xb1 games at 4k, even with better framerate and higher graphic settings.

Lol oh man. This is gold.

I am talking about this little picture

Edit:
Because I have forgotten where I took the screenshot from I recommend to look into the following performance table of Seti@Home. They have a really good database of GFlops per CPU. Link

Uh, OK, but typically we don't conflate benchmark measurements with peak theoretical numbers the way you were doing. Since Haswell Intel chips have had AVX2 support which gives them a peak of 448GFlops for FP32 ops. Zen will have pretty equivalent peak capabilities. Here's a chart from Anandtech comparing some of the Intel and AMD chips:

zlLQabam3DocygEPaoOf_shVBhlkZgqQxQlYGrEV0DbDxpJoSubJuxf-weiYJGU5i2IgNwJx6teEn6U=w1400-h970

Locuza

Uh, OK, but typically we don't conflate benchmark measurements with peak theoretical numbers the way you were doing. Since Haswell Intel chips have had AVX2 support which gives them a peak of 448GFlops for FP32 ops. Zen will have pretty equivalent peak capabilities.[...]
Not per core since the SIMD-width is still at 128-Bit in comparison to 256-Bit at Haswell.
Also the cache-bandwidth is in theory twice as high and Intel does have 3 AGUs vs. 2 in Zen.
Floating-Point throughput is an area where AMD choose not to invest, at least not for AVX + FMA operations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Jesus lmao, some people are so insane for news.

Even if Frankie could share things, he's under NDA to keep his mouth shut.

I would say again to temper expectations, but i'd sound like a broken record as if i didn't already xP

Perfect!

Microsoft have already confirmed 8 core CPU. I'm genuinely starting to think that if it ends up being Zen, that SMT (as crazy as this may sound) will actually stay intact. I like your 16GB GDDR5X speculation. I personally wouldn't mind Microsoft going for a console in the 200 watt or greater range. Greater chance of it being a real beast of a machine.

Colbert

Banned
Uh, OK, but typically we don't conflate benchmark measurements with peak theoretical numbers the way you were doing. Since Haswell Intel chips have had AVX2 support which gives them a peak of 448GFlops for FP32 ops. Zen will have pretty equivalent peak capabilities. Here's a chart from Anandtech comparing some of the Intel and AMD chips:

zlLQabam3DocygEPaoOf_shVBhlkZgqQxQlYGrEV0DbDxpJoSubJuxf-weiYJGU5i2IgNwJx6teEn6U=w1400-h970

I see. Honestly the GFlops spec is not that important for a CPU. Bigger compute workloads typically will be anyway delegated to the GPU, don't you think?

Ganrob

Neo Member
Having built a beefy PC, I know how impossible 4k 60FPS is with current software. Don't get your hopes up.

c0de

This won't work.
Esram is useless with 320gbit/s band with ram. So either edram, or more likely non at all.
They also won't do 12gb gddr5x ram.
Either 12gb regular gddr5 ram on a 384bit bus interface or 8/16gb gddr5x ram on 256bit bus interface

It's not useless at all but if I was MS I wouldn't increase it but leave it at that size as a high-performance, low-latency cache for Scorpio games and for legacy reasons for XBO games (i.e. the same games but different profiles).

c0de

Microsoft have already confirmed 8 core CPU. I'm genuinely starting to think that if it ends up being Zen, that SMT (as crazy as this may sound) will actually stay intact.

Well, one could argue that SMT means a core so a 4-core CPU with SMT should fit in that description.

Top Bottom