• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn Dev on the Differences Between the PS5 and Series X SSDs: "I feel that it will end up a matter of diminishing returns"

SSD's arent going to be doing any real time rendering of any importance, they are still far too slow to operate as RAM. This idea that a secondary component in the Sony machine can somehow trump the Xbox's better primary components is farcical.

For multiplats it will be higher res / bit better graphics on the Xbox, and bit faster loading on the PS5. I wouldn't be expecting many miracles beyond that.

Shmunter

I only read about Sony and Epic working together to come up with that I/O which is why I said that. I haven't read about any collaboration between Epic and Microsoft on their I/O system.

As for running better I'm not sure about that. Maybe what Epic wanted was for Sony to have a really good I/O system because they wanted to show off some pretty intense asset streaming with their UE5 demo. So maybe when it comes to the I/O system Sonys will be better than what Microsoft has.

But with running if your suggesting framerate and resolution and are not talking about asset streaming then the XSX would probably be better.
Precisely

Being able to depend on having a fast SSD is a huge shift in general and an awesome improvement. The question here is whether there are diminishing returns between the more standard NVME in the XSX and the world-beater in the PS5. Next gen games will probably be huge in general even accounting for the cuts they can do for things like not having to duplicate assets; but if you crank up the detail because your SSD is insanely fast that cranks up the size of the files involved, it's just the reality of it.

Honestly it's a monumental achievement either way to pull off a 5.5GB/second particularly inside the cost of a game console. I am expecting some impressive graphical achievments on PS5 that can't be pulled off on XSX because.. well.. it's Sony, it's what they do.. but they can't sustain the kind of detail 5.5gb a second can give you for a large game, it's just simple math. They can massively increase the VARIETY of assets in a given scene, then mix and match those throughout a game to create the appearance of uniqueness and that sort of thing.. but there are only so many assets you can put in a game before it's size becomes unrealistic.
Just because the assets will be huge doesn't mean the games will be exponentially larger. Assets and portions of assets can be used over and over in a game but only stored once. For example the devs use a rock thats saved on the SSD in one scene and that rock is 1GB if they use it three other times throughout the game it still only accounts for 1GB on the SSD but had a cost of 4GB throughout the game to load. Now apply this logic to every asset. Some being used far more often. A better example would be a highly detailed blade of grass or a bush. These are raw numbers with no compression and not refletive of actual assets size just to show an example.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Just because the assets will be huge doesn't mean the games will be exponentially larger. Assets and portions of assets can be used over and over in a game but only stored once. For example the devs use a rock thats saved on the SSD in one scene and that rock is 1GB if they use it three other times throughout the game it still only accounts for 1GB on the SSD but had a cost of 4GB throughout the game to load. Now apply this logic to every asset. Some being used far more often. A better example would be a highly detailed blade of grass or a bush. These are raw numbers with no compression and not refletive of actual assets size just to show an example.
that's some detailed rock at 1gb lol

SSD's arent going to be doing any real time rendering of any importance, they are still far too slow to operate as RAM. This idea that a secondary component in the Sony machine can somehow trump the Xbox's better primary components is farcical.

For multiplats it will be higher res / bit better graphics on the Xbox, and bit faster loading on the PS5. I wouldn't be expecting many miracles beyond that.
I dont think anyone is suggesting that the SSD in the PS5 will do any real time rendering. What seems to be the common line of thinking, which has further been corroborated by devs, is that the speed of the SSD and custom I/O chips will allow the PS5 to stream data into ram and then the GPU so fast that the data can be dumped and recalled blindingly fast. This will allow what the ram and GPU use to be way more relevant to what is drawn to the screen as opposed to storing stale data that is not needed. This allows the GPU to render in higher fidelity because its not spread as thin. The XSX can do this as well however to a lesser extent when strictly talking about thier SSD and I/O complex. How thier faster GPU interacts with thier slower SSD, who knows.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the SSD in the PS5 will do any real time rendering. What seems to be the common line of thinking, which has further been corroborated by devs, is that the speed of the SSD and custom I/O chips will allow the PS5 to stream data into ram and then the GPU so fast that the data can be dumped and recalled blindingly fast. This will allow what the ram and GPU use to be way more relevant to what is drawn to the screen as opposed to storing stale data that is not needed. This allows the GPU to render in higher fidelity because its not spread as thin. The XSX can do this as well however to a lesser extent when strictly talking about thier SSD and I/O complex. How thier faster GPU interacts with thier slower SSD, who knows.

Oh there are people suggesting just that!

But anyway it’s going to be a trade off and some happy medium will be found somewhere. The Xbox fills its RAM a bit slower but has more horsepower to utilise it. The PS5 fills its RAM faster but has less horsepower to utilise it.

Neither system is going to be able to do anything miraculous that the other just can’t do.

How thier faster GPU interacts with thier slower SSD, who knows.

Im guessing that the GPU will pull on assets slower than the PS5 will. Which means that the Xbox will probably need for store assets for more seconds of gameplay. This will lead to the same ram consumption except the assets would need to be smaller since there would be more of them.

What I don't know of Sonys twice as fast SSD will lead to double the asset quality. Like of textures will look twice as better on the PS5 than the XSX. No idea if that's going to actually happen.

This is just looking at the specifications. What happens in reality might be different.

Last edited:
Neither system is going to be able to do anything miraculous that the other just can’t do.

I know the GPUs are not that far apart but the gap seems larger for the I/O system. On paper the PS5s does seem alot faster but in reality the results may differ. Now I'm not saying the PS5 won't have the edge but it may not be as big as some people think.

martino

Is there an engine who do that ? :D
if there is one paste a link plz.

Oh, I bet we'll see a similar situation as PS4 Pro vs. XSX in terms of multiplat games, where XBX versions will run at proper 4K or have some higher settings. The power gap (percentage wise) is smaller this time around by most accounts, though. It will probably come down to faster load times vs. higher resolution for the most part. I'm just speculating, though.
I think "faster load times" in this instance means more/better assets loaded in memory.

So one version of the game will have more raw details and the other may be sharper (and sharpness will be equal most of the time if your game uses dynamic resolution).

I'm not sure how and if any of these metrics will be significant in the end.

Im guessing that the GPU will pull on assets slower than the PS5 will. Which means that the Xbox will probably need for store assets for more seconds of gameplay. This will lead to the same ram consumption except the assets would need to be smaller since there would be more of them.

What I don't know of Sonys twice as fast SSD will lead to double the asset quality. Like of textures will look twice as better on the PS5 than the XSX. No idea if that's going to actually happen.

This is just looking at the specifications. What happens in reality might be different.
Right this is why i firmly believe that if MS does not want to sacrifice visual fidelity than the XSX will absolutely not out perform the PS5 IRT framerate. I think the XSX can push the same image at a slightly higher resolution but thats about it i would imagine. With some cases of the PS5 just simply having higher quality assets. This is really exciting stuff!

nikolino840

I think I’ll believe a PS dev over an Xbox exclusive one. There’s a reason the SSD is @5.5. Mark even says in his video 4.5 is just about right for next gen to load all the textures in .27 secs before the players turn etc.
Well of course becouse more Is better then less,in every specs of the hardware i mean
Like 12tf Is better then 10.3 🤷🏻‍♂️
10.3 Is Better then 1.4 of the ps4 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there an engine who do that ? :D
if there is one paste a link plz.
If i understand your question correctly, than i'm not sure. I would imagine that any current game engine could seek a piece of data from the SSD as many times as it wants but i am by no means an expert. I was trying to illustrate a scenario in which the size of the data on disk is not reflective of the amount of data which is eventually rendered on screen foregoing the obvious use of compression to accommodate this. Ultimately i wanted to highlight that the next gen consoles may indeed need 5.5GBs of raw speeds from the SSD at any given time.

Right this is why i firmly believe that if MS does not want to sacrifice visual fidelity than the XSX will absolutely not out perform the PS5 IRT framerate. I think the XSX can push the same image at a slightly higher resolution but thats about it i would imagine. With some cases of the PS5 just simply having higher quality assets. This is really exciting stuff!

On the bright side not all games will use assets the same way. A fighting game could take up less ram and use extremely high quality assets. Those types of games shouldn't be an issue. But really big games where the assets take up alot of the ram could cause some issues and might need to be lowered.

Just some speculation but we have to see if that really happens.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think "faster load times" in this instance means more/better assets loaded in memory.

So one version of the game will have more raw details and the other may be sharper (and sharpness will be equal most of the time if your game uses dynamic resolution).

But if one is higher res than the other will it matter?

curious to how that would be, one has higher textures but lower res and one has slightly less textures but higher res. What would look better?

On the bright side not all games will use assets the same way. A fighting game could take up less ram and use extremely high quality assets. Those types of games shouldn't be an issue. But really big games where the assets take up alot of the ram could cause some issues and might need to be lowered.

Just some speculation but we have to see if that really happens.
A secondary effect of the SSD speeds which i find fascinating is the ability for the next gen systems to free up space in ram that was previously used to store data for potential use that often times gets discarded without ever being used. To me this means that each GB of ram is deceptively more than it would appear, furthermore to pool in which games will use actually have a larger difference than the pure numbers would indicate 15ish GB for PS5 and 10GB for XSX. Another layer to this is the speeds at which they operate. These systems really took a different approach and it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'll wait and see before buying anything he says. Just another guy selling you a console. This is the same guy who said the pro could double performance to 8.4 tf. He also said 8tf is all we need for 4k gaming.

Both times he was full of shit.

Interesting, care to comment about the recent XSX DF interview where MS architects claimed 24 TFLOPS*? Did not see outrage there ;)?

*Of course it was based on FP16 and using the double rate processing / RPM just as Cerny mentioned it was possible in that article about PS4 Pro... :rolleyes:.

You have a real beef with the guy if you feel like you need to keep misunderstanding him like that (although it sounds more and more disingenuous each time) or essentially outright lie “He also said 8tf is all we need for 4k gaming” (which he never said, he said that for the kind of 4K visuals without compromises that that generation of consoles could output they needed at least 8 TFLOPS [FP32 GCN “flops”], but you knew that).

Interesting also how both him and Phil are just guys selling you consoles and yet you only ever talk about Cerny being full of shit (the irony of using stretched half truths and clear misrepresentations or warped quotes to say that he is full of shit is just the proverbial cherry on top...).

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT

That will probably be the difference the PS5 won't have to compress its textures in multiplatform games and loading times vs more stable frame rates. Especially when the jaguar is ditched and cant power steal from the CPU at will.

Epic showed Sony created a awesome SSD but it can send way more data than either apu could process.

martino

Interesting, care to comment about the recent XSX DF interview where MS architects claimed 24 TFLOPS*? Did not see outrage there ;)?

because people are not dumd , learn and the drama already happened one time with ps4 pro.

this one is worst imo :

Not only do we have 12 teraflops of GPU power, but developers can be that much more efficient in how they use it. They can actually deliver results even beyond the raw teraflops that are in the box.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

*Of course it was based on FP16 and using the double rate processing / RPM just as Cerny mentioned it was possible in that article about PS4 Pro... :rolleyes:.

You have a real beef with the guy if you feel like you need to keep misunderstanding him like that (although it sounds more and more disingenuous each time) or essentially outright lie “He also said 8tf is all we need for 4k gaming” (which he never said, he said that for the kind of 4K visuals without compromises that that generation of consoles could output they needed at least 8 TFLOPS [FP32 GCN “flops”], but you knew that).

Interesting also how both him and Phil are just guys selling you consoles and yet you only ever talk about Cerny being full of shit (the irony of using stretched half truths and clear misrepresentations or warped quotes to say that he is full of shpo99lollpit is just the proverbial cherry on top...).

Interesting as I've never commented on phil being truthful or anything either. I don't even watch df videos as I've stated before. Hell you don't even see me praising anything as far Xbox specs go. You don't see me in the velocity thread either.

But i don't see you disputing bs like ps5 being rdna 3 or equivalent to a 3080. The double standards are quite amusing tho.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Interesting as I've never commented on phil being truthful or anything either. I don't even watch df videos as I've stated before. Hell you don't even see me praising anything as far Xbox specs go. You don't see me in the velocity thread either.

But i don't see you disputing bs like ps5 being rdna 3 or equivalent to a 3080. The double standards are quite amusing tho.

Neither XSX nor PS5 is RDNA3, happy :)?

The beautiful thing is that you still very likely knowingly used something misquoted/twisted/stretched aka a lie to call Cerny a liar, the irony there is worth at least 18%.

BTW, I see your emotes in the XVA threads and plenty of replies in console warrish threads... so what?

Last edited:

Ogbert

Maybe what Epic wanted was for Sony to have a really good I/O system because they wanted to show off some pretty intense asset streaming with their UE5 demo.

Or, maybe Epic are desperate to forge a relationship with Sony to try and secure any first party games that move to PC.

Epic gain absolutely nothing from being associated with MS, as all (big) first party titles will go to Gamepass.

Or, maybe Epic are desperate to forge a relationship with Sony to try and secure any first party games that move to PC.

I don't know about that. The Unreal Engine is incredibly important for them. So I don't see why they would ever paint it in a bad light.

I'm learning more towards that theory since so many developers use the Unreal Engine.

This wont age well - will last up until 4th June

Also lol. Nothing more to say.

It's possible the game looks better now than it did in 2017 (when this was uploaded). Could have undergone tech/engine upgrades and whatnot. Would explain why the Steam page has such low requirements, as they may be really outdated.

I dunno for sure or anything, just saying it is possible

Depends on the assets that they use. I know that.spme space will be saved due to the elimination of duplicate data. But the use of 4k or 8k assets could increase the file size.

We have to wait and see what happens though.

This is one of the biggest questions I have with next gen. Both consoles are supposed to be aiming to lower install sizes, but we are also getting much higher quality assets, so will they cancel eachother out and we are stuck with triple digit installs as a norm?

As for running better I'm not sure about that. Maybe what Epic wanted was for Sony to have a really good I/O system because they wanted to show off some pretty intense asset streaming with their UE5 demo. So maybe when it comes to the I/O system Sonys will be better than what Microsoft has.

The basics of how the demo was explained led me to believe in the observation that PS5 will benefit more from Nanite (more streamable assets) and XsX will benefit more from Lumen (more GPU horsepower). To my casual ears that seemed like fair reasoning. I am sure both can use each tech wonderfully, anyway

Last edited:

geordiemp

It's possible the game looks better now than it did in 2017 (when this was uploaded). Could have undergone tech/engine upgrades and whatnot. Would explain why the Steam page has such low requirements, as they may be really outdated.

We have people like cerny and Tim Sweeny going on abouit streaming, and an unknown kickstarter dev implying the opposite.

Does not matter anyway, its only a week to wait to see how streaming and data will be used next gen.

HZD2 developer said Aloy has more polygons than all the other characters in HZD1, so we have an idea whats coming....

Last edited:

Redlight

Amusing is one description, f'ing aggravating is another. :)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC Gamers realize console warriors are going to pay a fortune to dip their toes in the SSD pool.

PC Gamers realize console warriors are going to pay a fortune to dip their toes in the SSD pool.

This is the only dippin' im doin

giphy.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It will be interesting how all this plays out. Certainly game sizes need to be managed. But maybe new techniques will become available for merging assets, transforming them, mixing them up, etc. NPC’s mixing wardrobes, house layouts altered, different textures applied, reflective properties changed, etc, etc.

All super high quality, all reused without obvious signed of reuse, Resulting in consistently high detailed scenes regardless.

Yeah exactly they'll do some interesting shit for sure but it can't be hand-painted high-detail super wide variety.

We have like 100 times the bandwidth THEORETICALLY allowing 100 times the detail... but even removing duplicated assets games would still be 30-40GB these days.. you can't multiple the detail levels more than by a factor of 2-3 before you get too large.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Literally in the post you quoted:

Me said:
They can massively increase the VARIETY of assets in a given scene, then mix and match those throughout a game to create the appearance of uniqueness and that sort of thing.. but there are only so many assets you can put in a game before it's size becomes unrealistic.

lol

But a 1GB rock is kinda.. spelling my point. I mean I doubt we'll have 1GB rocks, but we allegedly have insanely detailed models in that UE5 demo. If 1 of them is 1GB then that's like 2% of what an average current game takes up... and 1% of what the larger /already getting kinda ridiculous games do.

This is one of the biggest questions I have with next gen. Both consoles are supposed to be aiming to lower install sizes, but we are also getting much higher quality assets, so will they cancel eachother out and we are stuck with triple digit installs as a norm?

The basics of how the demo was explained led me to believe in the observation that PS5 will benefit more from Nanite (more streamable assets) and XsX will benefit more from Lumen (more GPU horsepower). To my casual ears that seemed like fair reasoning. I am sure both can use each tech wonderfully, anyway

Definitely agree that while both can run that UE5 demo it would be a little different on each system. It wouldn't be this way if one system was superior in every single way but that's not happening next from what I can see.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Diminishing returns" on a whole new paradigm shift is a funny way to spell, "damage control."

But he did say, "I feel", and we know where feelings over facts usually gets us when all is said and done.

Difficult to say. That depends if they filled the PS5 bandwidth or not.
There are always a way to go "around" a problem as well, so it's not like all things are impossible, but it would require more work to archieve something quite similar.

I don't believe that 1 single second. Don't think much people do to be honest.

quest

Not Banned from OT
"Diminishing returns" on a whole new paradigm shift is a funny way to spell, "damage control."

But he did say, "I feel", and we know where feelings over facts usually gets us when all is said and done.
It makes perfect sense from a small indy developer making a multiplatform game. I know all the PS5 fans think the suits wll green light endless budget to make a separate set of "PS5" 8k Hollywood level assets. A small indy developer will make it to the lower spec and that will be the PC if the game is on there. That is the reality for these guys it is diminishing returns since they have to develop to the lowest common spec. They don't have a 400 people team to take advantage of each platform.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It makes perfect sense from a small indy developer making a multiplatform game. I know all the PS5 fans think the suits wll green light endless budget to make a separate set of "PS5" 8k Hollywood level assets. A small indy developer will make it to the lower spec and that will be the PC if the game is on there. That is the reality for these guys it is diminishing returns since they have to develop to the lowest common spec. They don't have a 400 people team to take advantage of each platform.

So it's not a blanket fact. It is for him and his game, that will work on conventional mechanical drives. But it is not a factual statement or the "gotcha" lines in the sand are looking for.

But if one is higher res than the other will it matter?

curious to how that would be, one has higher textures but lower res and one has slightly less textures but higher res. What would look better?
It depends, let's say your game runs at native 4K 95% of the time on one machine and on the other it runs native 4K 99.9% of the time... the resolution difference will just not be a factor.

martino

The Naughty Dog engine, Unreal Engine 5, whatever the engine made for Horizon Zero Dawn 2, etc. Don't worry, software will catch up to the hardware.

Same goes for Ray Tracing.
it was not serious ....when needed which engine and developer would choose to load 4x time the same thing from slower memory ?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't believe that 1 single second. Don't think much people do to be honest.
If it was remotely close to pushing the storage they would of either deployed the kraken on the textures or used 4k-6k textures. They clearly were not remotely close to pushing the storage in a torture test of it.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
So it's not a blanket fact. It is for him and his game, that will work on conventional mechanical drives. But it is not a factual statement or the "gotcha" lines in the sand are looking for.
Of course like everything else it is what makes sense for that team and circumstance. I just think most multiplatform developers especially small ones will be in his situation. Now exclusives are another story.

Bu
If i understand your question correctly, than i'm not sure. I would imagine that any current game engine could seek a piece of data from the SSD as many times as it wants but i am by no means an expert. I was trying to illustrate a scenario in which the size of the data on disk is not reflective of the amount of data which is eventually rendered on screen foregoing the obvious use of compression to accommodate this. Ultimately i wanted to highlight that the next gen consoles may indeed need 5.5GBs of raw speeds from the SSD at any given time.
But it really isn't about the raw speed of the SSD at the end of the day, that's amazing in itself, but is only half the picture.

Having 6 priority levels, which is what Sony was really investing in, in comparison to only 2, speeds up every frame by only nanoseconds. This can make a large difference because of the speed at which these systems will be being refreshed.

This allows information to be processed faster due to not having to wait for other instructions to have to be completed first.

This is the shift, not necessarily the speed.

martino

Bu

But it really isn't about the raw speed of the SSD at the end of the day, that's amazing in itself, but is only half the picture.

Having 6 priority levels, which is what Sony was really investing in, in comparison to only 2, speeds up every frame by only nanoseconds. This can make a large difference because of the speed at which these systems will be being refreshed.

This allows information to be processed faster due to not having to wait for other instructions to have to be completed first.

This is the shift, not necessarily the speed.

this is an area where we lack info.
they said
DirectStorage API which provides developers with direct low-level access to the NVME controller
imagine if this means you can have the number of level of priority you need for your game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom