• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella: “Nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem”

That's a really odd statement.

Microsoft sell the Series X and the Series S with the X being a more capable machine/console for gamers. I understand that it's PR but I don't get the narrative he trying to push here.
Its Nadella what do your think? Gamepass and Cloud gaming ofcourse🙄

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you think that every person who bought an Xbox One near launch must have bought a series console in the same timeframe?
Yes, that's exactly what I think. /s

No, that's not what I said. I would assume the adoption rate would not be "nearly half" with previous people moving over to the new gen, but they are probably waiting for XSXs or some moved on to the PC.

Issa joke.

Last edited:

marjo

Yes, that's exactly what I think. /s

No, that's not what I said. I would assume the adoption rate would not be "nearly half" with previous people moving over to the new gen, but they are probably waiting for XSXs or some moved on to the PC.

Issa joke.

Seems to me like you implied that if half the series S owners are new to the ecosystem, that would mean that Series sales should be double of Xbox one sales launch aligned, which is clearly wrong. If that's not what you were saying, great.

feynoob

Banned
It's to inflate numbers a little. If he used Series X most sales would be to previous xbox diehards whereas series s is more likely to be a cheap machine for those who weren't in the ecosystem before. So he could have said something like 20% of Series consoles are to new customers or he could have said 50% of Series S sales are to new customers.
How does that invalidate the sentence?

That sentence shuts down, the narrative that XSS was bad decision by MS. When in reality it brings new customers.

50% is not a joke number. That is 100k new customers in Japan.

Three

How does that invalidate the sentence?

That sentence shuts down, the narrative that XSS was bad decision by MS. When in reality it brings new customers.

50% is not a joke number. That is 100k new customers in Japan.
It doesn't. Somebody just asked why he made a statement like that and didn't mention the Series X.

Godot25

Banned
Yeah? I'm off to get some screwdrivers then.
Believe Harrison Ford GIF by Indiana Jones

feynoob

Banned
It doesn't. Somebody just asked why he made a statement like that and didn't mention the Series X.
But the statement is about Xss. Especially when the device is under attack by social media.

They are justifying their decision.

XsX is a 500 console, and is no different than PS5. While XSS is a cheap console, which targets lower income people.

2 different audience.

MOTM

Banned
My guess is that a not insignificant amount of those are people who picked it up because it was the only current gen system that was available.
Maybe. But I also don't imagine somebody wanting a PS5 and ending up ordering a Series S. Makes 0 sense.

NickFire

Maybe. But I also don't imagine somebody wanting a PS5 and ending up ordering a Series S. Makes 0 sense.
Makes little sense to enthusiasts. But people just looking for something to do in the near future might be tempted by price and availability. And there will be plenty of parents, grandparents, etc., who buy the cheaper alternative as a present because of cost and/or availability.

feynoob

Banned
What kind of games do you think are missing?

Jrpgs?
I dont know the point of his angle.
Gamepass is filled with casual games. And it even have kids games.

It's specifically designed for all kind of demographic players. It's not catered to 1 group.

feynoob

Banned
Makes little sense to enthusiasts. But people just looking for something to do in the near future might be tempted by price and availability. And there will be plenty of parents, grandparents, etc., who buy the cheaper alternative as a present because of cost and/or availability.
Those are the target for this device. People who usually have no idea about video games, and go by the price point.

I am expecting alot of kids getting this device from their parents.

reinking

Gold Member
I wonder what new to Xbox ecosystem means and how do they determine it, maybe new accounts on new consoles. Would an existing Xbox account from the Windows 10 Xbox app count?
This is why we need numbers to understand the marketing speak. We should see a significant increase in Game Pass on the console side right? Or is their ecosystem just logging in and setting up a console? Either way, it's not bad news.

feynoob

Banned
This is why we need numbers to understand the marketing speak. We should see a significant increase in Game Pass on the console side right? Or is their ecosystem just logging in and setting up a console? Either way, it's not bad news.
It should be new accounts, which is used on new xbox devices.

feynoob

Banned
Maybe the kid or someone in the house has a gaming computer so he can play the best version there.

Win / win in my book.
If there is a gaming PC, I doubt they would buy xss, if they want to play spiderman.

It's mostly houses, which have single or few kids, and no older siblings.

Last edited:
That's interesting. Though, it doesn't say anything to what the ratio of total systems sold so far are Series S to Series X. Last I heard it was 40:60, has that changed?

If MS's own stated combined XBO + Series install base numbers (in that tweet they posted like a week ago) are true (the PS & Switch numbers were both wrong in that tweet btw), that would put Series at 13.16 million sold-through at the time of that tweet's data being compiled. So 40:60 Series S/Series X would mean 5.264 million for Series S and 7.896 million for Series X. And if half of Series S owners are new to the ecosystem, that equals 2.632 million.

Another way to say that, is MAYBE if it weren't for Series S existing, and MS just had Series X, they'd have a lot more Series X systems sold, but total numbers would likely be down by 2.632 million, down to 10.528 million. Which would have had Series X trending behind both the 360 and XBO time-aligned. That is a theoretical possibility though; it's also possible that if it were just Series X and more were available, those people jumping in with Series S would have picked up Series X. Maybe even more people would have bought a Series by this point if it were just Series X, as well.

Anyway, just something to think about given how MS give out this type of data.

That's a really odd statement.

Microsoft sell the Series X and the Series S with the X being a more capable machine/console for gamers. I understand that it's PR but I don't get the narrative he trying to push here.

It's basically his way of saying that 2.632 million people who otherwise may not have purchased an Xbox, did so because the Series S exists.

That's his assumption, anyway, even though it's based on data they have. Because there's no telling if those 2.632 million would have just ignored Series if only the X existed and Series X supply stayed the same (10.528 million LTD so far), or would have bought Series X units if more were available (13.16 million LTD).

There's no way to state which one of those outcomes would have came, at least not without knowing the ratio of S to X systems and what the shipped figures are at.

Last edited:

JCK75

Every Parent I know got their kids (5-13 age ranges) a Series S, but MS is losing so much money by not having a family plan.. every one of them signs in as themselves, adds gamepass then signs their kids in to play the games from a single GP account.

saintjules

Probably a lot of them are first time console buyers. Folks jumping into gaming for the first time are going to find that price very attractive.

Yeah I agree. In essence, the Series S has succeeded for Microsoft that way - getting more people into the ecosystem at a lower price point.

MarkMe2525

That’s great, but are the games there for long term engagement with Xbox, I doubt it, the vast majority of games on gamepass , just cater to hardcore Xbox fans, including the games that are in development.
This take is based at best out of ignorance, at worst out of ..... I'll stop as there is no need to be mean.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Every Parent I know got their kids (5-13 age ranges) a Series S, but MS is losing so much money by not having a family plan.. every one of them signs in as themselves, adds gamepass then signs their kids in to play the games from a single GP account.

They've already got a pilot for a family plan running in a couple of countries. I have a feeling it'll get a formal reveal/release before the year is over.

TVexperto

new elite ps5 controller: 240 euros
meanwhile i paid 120 euros for a refurbished xbox series s straight from microsoft and it def is new and unused (production date was august)

Alan Wake

What a miserable Christmas. Imagine being a kid and not being able to play spider-man next year after Spider-verse 2 comes out
Spider Man Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Lol. Imagine having Game Pass during Christmas.
Exactly. MS is trying to expand the market. Having an affordable console and an outstanding value proposition with Game pass will put them in a much more competitive position than last generation.
Definitely. And my reply was not a critique towards Game Pass. I love Game Pass, have been a subscriber for over 5 years now.

Top Bottom