• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella: “Nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem”

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I said it before and was mocked but I know 2 people who wanted a new console and were tired of waiting on PS5 stock and bought the Series S simply because it was on the shelf and this was their first ever Xbox system

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I said it before and was mocked but I know 2 people who wanted a new console and were tired of waiting on PS5 stock and bought the Series S simply because it was on the shelf and this was their first ever Xbox system
Meanwhile at MS:

gotcha-bitch-bitch.gif

CeeJay

That's a really odd statement.

Microsoft sell the Series X and the Series S with the X being a more capable machine/console for gamers. I understand that it's PR but I don't get the narrative he trying to push here.
Whenever a CEO speaks you have to take into account the audience who will listen to it, everyone basically. This includes other members of the board, the wider staff, shareholders, partners, competitors and consumers. If a statement seems odd and doesn't make sense to you then it's probably not aimed at you.

It could be a response to the recent bout of tweets and articles from developers asking for MS to drop the requirement to develop for it (if you want to put out a game on Series X) and pointing out that there are all these new customers that those developers wouldn't be reaching without a Series S version so it's very much in their interest to want to support it.

It could be a message to shareholders to justify the Series S existing, possibly off the back of a question that one of them posed.

It could be aimed at potential partners to show that the platform is growing and finding new potential customers to hopefully make the platform look more attractive.

The truth is that it could be any number of reasons but rest assured there will be a reason for saying it regardless of how odd it first appears.

edit: ah its from the quarterly earnings review aimed at shareholders, see option 2 above.

Last edited:

kikkis

Well, if Next-Gen-only A Plague Tale is anything to go by, they'll be doing ok.
Its actually a decent example. Would be interesting to know the RAM usage of that title on pc. But still at least based on that title, S isn't the 1440p machine Microsoft marketed early.

feynoob

Banned

Microsoft sell the Series X and the Series S with the X being a more capable machine/console for gamers. I understand that it's PR but I don't get the narrative he trying to push here.
It confirms the reality, that people don't care about graphics.

Most people want something to play on. And if you provide cheap access, they will buy it.

It will become a great value, if Xbox can sort out their first party output.

It's also a great have console for kids with gamepass.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I guess thats exactly why they created the Series S. Doesnt explain the lack of software revenue growth though. Are these like those Wii and Kinect buyers who buy the console but do nothing with it?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It confirms the reality, that people don't care about graphics.

Most people want something to play on. And if you provide cheap access, they will buy it.

It will become a great value, if Xbox can sort out their first party output.

It's also a great have console for kids with gamepass.
I still think the majority of gamers still use a 1080p 60hz TV and honestly the Series S is really all they need

DaGwaphics

I guess thats exactly why they created the Series S. Doesnt explain the lack of software revenue growth though. Are these like those Wii and Kinect buyers who buy the console but do nothing with it?

The current state of the economy has game software sales down across the board, even on mobile. It is what it is.

Including the Series S for a while

Pretty much shows you know nothing about the Gamepass library.

I mean, in the past two months alone, there's been Grounded, Disney Dreamlight Valley, Slime rancher 2, Persona 5, A Plague's Tale Requiem. Not to mention Forza Horizon 5 (which has a staggeringly broad appeal) and Minecraft Dungeons.
Wow 1 exclusive Xbox game, are u arguing against me or for me 😂

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Its actually a decent example. Would be interesting to know the RAM usage of that title on pc. But still at least based on that title, S isn't the 1440p machine Microsoft marketed early.
In that regard, The PS5 and the Series X are the 1440p machines. Seems to be little comparatively little upset about that.

Neo_GAF

Banned
even if you want to buy a ps5, it is still absolutely impossible to find one out in the wild.
i got one during the slow summer, but seeing those scalper prices still going on, i wonder how much money sony has lost during that time. and i also wonder, if they are really doing this on purpose, because i remember, that the ps2, psp, ps3 and ps4 were also very hard to get at the beginning but that was only for the first couple of weeks/months and not for almost 2 years.

Last edited:

johnjohn

I'm confused... What's odd about the statement? The Series S was designed to get get new people into the Xbox eco-system and it's succeeding. The Series X is for the hardcore fans who were likely already going to buy an Xbox.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The what?
Didnt GamePass make like 29 billion?
Why would a casual buy a game, when everything they actually want to play is on GamePass or Free to Play?

To put things into perspective the top 10 most played games on Xbox:

Fortnite - Free
Warzone - Free
Overwatch - Free
Roblox - Free
Apex Legends - Free
FIFA/NBA - 70 bucks?
GTA Online - 60?
MineCraft - Free (GP)
Destiny 2 - Free
Siege - Free

What software are you expecting them to actually be purchasing outside of COD/Yearly SportTite/BattlePasses/GamePass subscription?

If Sony released their most played list, it would look eerily similar to this as well.
Singleplayers games dont have staying power, finish it once or twice then go back to what you actually want to play.
Thats how near literally all my IRL gamer friends actually play games, they buy that exciting AAA game cuz they hear the hype, they get through it, and they are back to FIFA/NBA/Madden/GTAO/COD/Apex.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Looking at videos comparing the different versions of games, I tend to think most people who didn't even consider it (including me) and always buy the premium versions would probably be completely happy too.
Just my opinion though people like us who watch videos comparing the versions of games is not the target audience of the Series S

The S was a product to get on shelves at a great price

Honestly I think its going to have massive Christmas sales numbers when parents are looking for the big ticket item to put under trees

But yeah having seen the Series S even on my 4k 65" TV sitting back on the couch I think most gamers would be pretty happy with it

Three

It's to inflate numbers a little. If he used Series X most sales would be to previous xbox diehards whereas series s is more likely to be a cheap machine for those who weren't in the ecosystem before. So he could have said something like 20% of Series consoles are to new customers or he could have said 50% of Series S sales are to new customers.

Three

Influencing them early is exactly how they can build their brand into people's mind. That's how Nintendo and PlayStation got where they are.
That dude was a green rat before Series S was even confirmed to exist. The only reason he has a GoW avatar is because he was hoping it was delayed and lost a bet. Still maintained it was going to be delayed after the date was announced.
GHG's comment about him being a child is just tongue in cheek.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's to inflate numbers a little. If he used Series X most sales would be to previous xbox diehards whereas series s is more likely to be a cheap machine for those who weren't in the ecosystem before. So he could have said something like 20% of Series consoles are to new customers or he could have said 50% of Series S sales are to new customers.

Making a flagship console is not a novel strategy. But you already knew that.

sainraja

That dude was a green rat before Series S was even confirmed to exist. The only reason he has a GoW avatar is because he was hoping it was delayed and lost a bet. Still maintained it was going to be delayed after the date was announced.
GHG's comment about him being a child is just tongue in cheek.
I kinda figured his comment was that but the point of influencing kids at an early age is still valid...with the original Xbox, MS kinda missed on being able to do that since they were the new kid on the block. Not saying they didn't make any impressions on younger kids then but the time was different, gaming was just getting rid of its 'for kids only' image. I know PS1 was instrumental in starting that.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It’s exactly what I was saying, Series S isn’t for the vocal minority that visit here, it’s to blanket the masses, it’s not about delivering a good product, it’s about blanketing the market and taking market share.

So many raging fanbois of both systems have no fucking clue about the first thing about business.

Oh “it’s holding this gen back” no, the initial price point decision of both of the main units is going to hold this generation back.

Three

Making a flagship console is not a novel strategy. But you already knew that.
What the hell, nobody said it's novel or isn't novel. I was only replying to somebody who didn't see why he made that statement about Series S only. What the narrative was.

Topher

Gold Member
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-games-list

38 games,

One game has dynamic resolution between 900p to 1440p
13 games 1080p
8 games 1440p

Your definition of "generally 990p" is different from the meaning of the word.

Perhaps, but not based on that list. That list hasn't been updated since July of last year.

That to me is an even worse scenario because that indicates that Gamepass is holding back their software revenues.

And explains their increase in subscription growth at the same time.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
What the hell, nobody said it's novel or isn't novel. I was only replying to somebody who didn't see why he made that statement about Series S only. What the narrative was.

Precisely why I said that narrative doesn’t make sense.
CEO is reporting to shareholders the outcome of a novel strategy they went with. Simple.

That to me is an even worse scenario because that indicates that Gamepass is holding back their software revenues.

I think more than enough people have already pointed out to you that software revenues have been down across the board.

Top Bottom