• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella: “Nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem”

Cyberpunkd

I hope they are still happy series s users once we start getting proper next gen titles.
Same titles as last 15 years just with better graphics? Truly a shame I will be unable to experience that 8K Rez with shitty AI, average music and lots of collectibles.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And I admit it to it.
I gave myself the help needed to recover.

It's why I am telling him that. I am not making fun of him.
Enjoy your creation, is all I'm saying.

LUIUhOB.jpg

feynoob

Banned
That to me is an even worse scenario because that indicates that Gamepass is holding back their software revenues.
Gamepass is what makes them buy the console in the first place. Remove that, and they won't buy the console in the first place.

And without a customer, your revenue won't go up.

So essentially, it's increasing their revenue.

You also have to account about 3rd party games, which aren't on gamepass. So software sales is up.

Gamepass>buying the console>paying for gamepass>paying for non-gamepass games. It goes in that order.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, but Gamepass revenue is up. So from MS point of view they get paid either way.
It seems to me that gamepass revenue has replaced software revenue, but it hasnt increased it. Gamepass was supposed to provide additional revenue no? Wasnt it supposed to increase the sales of games? If after 5 years of gamepass, billions spent on content, all they can do is simply match the software then wtf was the point?

It seems to me that 30 million subs (assuming they have gone up from 25 million at the start of the year) is not enough to outpace traditional software revenue streams, and they will need to be around 50-100 million to really start posting profits which is going to be hard since they dont even sell that many consoles and even if they took the lead this gen, getting 100% of buyers to purchase gamepass is going to be tough.

I really dont understand the end game here. They are spending so much on getting games on this service when last gen the third party publishers would fund the dev and distribute the game literally handing MS and Sony 30% of the digital cut for doing no work whatsoever. now MS will pay a fee to get the game on gamepass and have no 30% cut to speak of relying instead of the same $10-15 monthly revenue stream.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Daily reminder that not everyone feels they need the cutting-edge product. For some reason this is very hard to get into some skulls.
Well, for those GPUs are already at affordable price anyway, don't count consoles on anything "cutting edge" after their first year on the market... Hell, Ampere GPUs came out the year they released so not even that much of an advantage lol.

Series S is a great console for many casuals and dedicated players, circumstances will vary from each person to the other to pick it instead of a more expensive console and the real cutting edge platform: Gaming PC

But let me tell you that in USD everything looks cheap compared to currencies in other countries that are way less valued, so that 200 USD price difference seems multiplied in effort to when seen in, for example, any latinamerican currency.

Hell, Series S around here seems even stupidly cheap in comparison to Series X that is out of the possibilities of any person with almost any normal job.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What a miserable Christmas. Imagine being a kid and not being able to play spider-man next year after Spider-verse 2 comes out
Spider Man Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
How many kids do you know? None of the ones in my family gave a single shit about Spider-Man on PS4. They play games like PUBG, R6 Siege, Apex and FIFA.

I’d be interested in a demographic breakdown of Spider-Man players (and Sony’s FP in general) I always assumed it’s mainly adults playing them.

Last edited:

Zathalus

How many kids do you know? None of the ones in my family gave a single shit about Spider-Man on PS4. They play games like PUBG, R6 Siege, Apex and FIFA.

I’d be interested in a demographic breakdown of Spider-Man players (and Sony’s FP in general) I always assumed it’s mainly adults playing them.
All my kid cares about is Minecraft. Loves Spider-Man (as well as various other Superheroes) but has zero interest in playing the Spider-Man games.

Woopah

I guess thats exactly why they created the Series S. Doesnt explain the lack of software revenue growth though. Are these like those Wii and Kinect buyers who buy the console but do nothing with it?

I don't know if we ever got Kinect data, but the Wii sold a ton of software.

Software sales are down in many places, this isn't an Xbox-specific issue (but not helped by the lack of big first party releases).

Ozriel

M$FT
I really dont understand the end game here. They are spending so much on getting games on this service when last gen the third party publishers would fund the dev and distribute the game literally handing MS and Sony 30% of the digital cut for doing no work whatsoever. now MS will pay a fee to get the game on gamepass and have no 30% cut to speak of relying instead of the same $10-15 monthly revenue stream.

You’ve tied yourself into pretzels with this take.

The vast majority of third party games will not be on Gamepass. Anytime anyone buys those games, MS still gets their 30% cut. So your “MS will have no 30% cut” take is wild.

They’re boosting their first party output so they don’t have to pay more and more to third party devs.

DragonNCM

I do wonder how this gen will progress once crossgen ends since PS has a single SKU to develop while Xbox will have to design everything for Series S by default.
This generation will go on & XSS will be leading Xbox console......next generation also we will see PS6 "basic" console for their GP(pandan)service & we will be all happy......

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What a miserable Christmas. Imagine being a kid and not being able to play spider-man next year after Spider-verse 2 comes out
Spider Man Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hahaha.
Id think by now you know the best way to promote something for kids is just to put it in Fortnite.
Calling it now Spider-Verse suit Miles Morales whenever the movie comes out, hits Fortnite.
maxresdefault.jpg

Hahaha.
Id think by now you know the best way to promote something for kids is just to put it in Fortnite.
Calling it now Spider-Verse suit Miles Morales whenever the movie comes out, hits Fortnite.
maxresdefault.jpg

Just for the record it was a dumb joke, most kids are perfectly fine with Fortnite and the like

DragonNCM

Series S is a grate first console for newcomers also grate second console for "team blue" funs (like me). You can't go wrong with that.
You can now play best of the two worlds.

spons

Gold Member
How do they even measure this. New Xbox Live accounts? I have multiple. I could buy a new Series S, register a new account on it and be new to the ecosystem.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Enjoy your 900p box. I don’t think the main clientele even know what 900p means though.

I've found that younger people these days don't care as much about graphics or the internals as we did just with the previous generation. Most of the zoomers I see on social media are perfectly OK playing games on their phone or cheap laptop. The Switch's graphics dazzle them. The Series S is like a technological marvel in comparison to what they're accustomed to playing on. Hell, many of them don't own a 4K TV. It was weird discussing media with our new hires a week or so ago as some didn't even own any kind of TV at all, while others still used the Wii U from their childhood on a tiny little 1080p screen.

It doesn't hurt that it's significantly cheaper than a PlayStation 5, that people can actually go to a store right now and find one, and young people aren't exactly flushed with cash these days of stagnant wages and worldwide inflation.

Last edited:
Not everyone has the money or cares to own the more expensive consoles, Series S has proven to be a capable machine that plays the kind of games casual gamers enjoy, like Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox and the annual sports/FPS games.

Do you think a Series S customer gives a shit about 1080p? 900p? Probably not.

Fuck. That’s crazy to think about. Get any Xbox console, spend $15 on game pass and you instantly have 100+ games at your fingertips.

Its not crazy to think about at all.

People are crazy for console warring and losing out on a the vast library of Xbox games at a very low price point and it's not like you signing up for a year long contract to GamePass.
You can opt out anytime you want.

If you're on PC you don't even need the console.

Not everyone has the money or cares to own the more expensive consoles, Series S has proven to be a capable machine that plays the kind of games casual gamers enjoy, like Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox and the annual sports/FPS games.

Do you think a Series S customer gives a shit about 1080p? 900p? Probably not.

I played plenty old gen games on my Series S. There was no issues for me regarding graphics and resolution. I played on 1440p monitor and everything looked fine. Remains to be seen what kinda visual differences there will be with next gen exclusives.

Last edited:

GHG

Man, if I was a kid I would be all over a series s + gamepass, the days of buying
$90 SNES games with the little pocket change I had is not something I was particularly fond of.

Yep same, would have loved it. I used to get ridiculously excited about demo disks on a monthly basis so can't imagine what it would have been like if it was full games on a monthly basis. They don't realise how good they've got it.

Although I'll say not having everything immediately had it's benefits. Paper round + learning to save my weekly allowance (and even learning to budget my lunch money to create savings from that) have helped in the long run. That in addition to making sure you really want something before purchasing it. I think for kids there needs to be a balance.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Man, if I was a kid I would be all over a series s + gamepass, the days of buying
$90 SNES games with the little pocket change I had is not something I was particularly fond of.

I said it before, will always praise Game Pass as something I dearly wish was around when I was a fresh college grad making that first real job money (in other words was poor). It would have saved me untold dollars, as back then I used to have to shop at stores that resold games and hardware and movies.

Nowadays a young worker only earning say $35k in some soulless office job could at least afford a Game Pass sub and a cheap Series S and play more games then I ever dreamed of being able to play back when I was their age, and for like 5% of the cost at that.

reinking

Gold Member
I said it before, will always praise Game Pass as something I dearly wish was around when I was a fresh college grad making that first real job money (in other words was poor). It would have saved me untold dollars, as back then I used to have to shop at stores that resold games and hardware and movies.
Did you guys not have Blockbuster or mom and pop rental shops? I played a shit-ton of games back then without having to buy them. Of course, you could not sit on them for weeks but it made me focus more and actually complete the game I was playing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Did you guys not have Blockbuster or mom and pop rental shops? I played a shit-ton of games back then without having to buy them. Of course, you could not sit on them for weeks but it made me focus more and actually complete the game I was playing.

I don't know why, but rental stores like Blockbuster died in my area years before they seemed to die nationwide, yes. I remember that W. Bush was still in office when the final Blockbuster in my area went under and became some taco joint slash corner store. Long before anyone had even heard the name Obama. So like 2005, 2006.

reinking

Gold Member
I don't know why, but rental stores like Blockbuster died in my area years before they seemed to die nationwide, yes. I remember that W. Bush was still in office when the final Blockbuster in my area went under and became some taco joint slash corner store. Long before anyone had even heard the name Obama. So like 2005, 2006.
I had a couple of decent mom and pop rentals that were cheaper than blockbuster. I also had a guy that owned a used game store that would let you purchase a game and then he would knock off $5 for every week you kept it. That way, if you decided to bring it back you would be guaranteed a trade in price toward your next game. It was great for longer games like RPGs that took 3-4 weeks to beat. The only problem was he sold used games and it was hit and miss on what he had in stock. I actually liked those days better than Game Pass/PS+ subs because I have always been a multi-console owner. With current subs and services like Gamefly I pay rentals even on months that I do not play a "rented" game.

Top Bottom