• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I would like to redact my previous statement
Untucked made me like MDF and I love the new form of untucked, so much more natural than all the scripted forced storyline nonsense

Don't like Sasha though, should have been in the bottom two imo
Poor crab lady

The reactions to getting into the show were super cute

Yado

I don't think Kandi deserved to be in the bottom two compared to some of the other girls tbh, but they just had to get the rivals in there to lip sync.

Pearl is my spirit sister.

She reminds me of a more mature Adore on mood depressants
lol.gif

I love Katya
I love Trixie
I love Max
I love Pearl
I love Violet
I love Ginger
I love Kasha

I like Fame
I like Jaidynn
I like Kennedy
I like Jasmine
I like Tempest

The only ones I don't really care about are Sasha and Kandy Ho, but otherwise I'm totally on board with most of these queens.

I also appreciate that there were no intros with long montages of future challenges because now we have no idea who might make it to the end. Based on the show's production so far I'm betting Fame, Katya, Ginger and Trixie make it pretty far.

Oh and Untucked is AMAZING. Kind of somber seeing the eliminated queen walking off stage while you hear Ru telling the other girls to "let the music play" while they dance. Definitely an emotional outro.

cory64

The new Untucked format is great, just a shame it's the next day.

Jasmine Masters being in portrait mode even when she found out she made it made me kii

Untucked is now everything I wanted it to be from the beginning.

Was never here for the hyper-edited cat fights - give me dat raw, behind the scenes gander at the production and dat deeper look into the queens' interpersonal dynamic in the workroom.

Just rewatched episode 1 and Kennedy Davenport seems like the under-the-radar queen to me. All her runway looks extremely polished with just enough twist not to make them not boring, but they aren't too flashy that they are burning too bright right now like Miss Fame and Violet.

Sasha should have been in the bottom two, her outfits were all ugly and she wasn't naked on her main challenge. That 'How can I be boring, I wore a lobster dress' probably saved her though. Her dresses were ugly but they weren't boring, like Tempest's looks were.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Noooooo, the Ms. "Misunderstood" Max stanning virus is spreading to GAF. Make it stop pls.

So reading the rpdr subreddit, there's some major spoilers in there (and probably some disinfo), feel like I just watched the whole season in my mind's eye whilst browsing.
Something I read a couple of times that makes me smile:
Go read the subereddit because not everyone can look over a post without clicking spoilers

Don't post them- I highlighted assuming it was something lighthearted from context, not a full-on placement spoiler.
The context was "major spoilers" and "feel like I just watched the whole season in my mind's eye" - I'd say that was pretty explicit that the spoiler was, you know, a spoiler.

Will edit my post for cry babies.

Noooooo, the Ms. "Misunderstood" Max stanning virus is spreading to GAF. Make it stop pls.

What? She's pretty mid-tier to me, but I'll let her feel her oats. An affectation like that bothers me if it's adopted out of insecurity or seems particularly self-serious (see Madonna), but Max strikes me as too much of a dorky theatre geek for me to be chafed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What? She's pretty mid-tier to me, but I'll let her feel her oats. An affectation like that bothers me if it's adopted out of insecurity or seems particularly self-serious (see Madonna), but Max strikes me as too much of a dorky theatre geek for me to be chafed.
It was a reference to Soulsis' newfound love.

KiN0

This was a good opener. I didn't like any of them on their meet the queens interviews but here I honestly think I enjoyed all of them.
I'm disappointed to see Tempest go home since I would have liked to hear more about her relationship with her kids, but her looks were not great so I can't be upset with the judges.

On another note, the new Untucked is amazing. It reminds me of the early seasons where the queens' interactions were a lot more natural and we got a better feel for their personalities. I was also surprised that they showed all the production elements that go into shooting the losing queen's elimination. That was a really nice touch.

Gradon

Katya and Ginger Minj did not disappoint! Loving theeem!
But can Kandy Ho like, go? Now? What a horrible attitude.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just finished watching Untucked.

Whoever thought of this updated format may have single handedly saved Untucked for me. They have taken in most of the fan feedback and applied it. It's damn refreshing.

Gone are the fast cuts, the annoying sfx, and highly manufactured drama. In its place is something almost akin to a documentary— near raw backstage footage, unedited staff, camera crew following queen around, B&W for effect, toned down music (none in some shots), last minute make up, the lip-sync rehearsing, etc etc. That's a goddamn impressive turn.

As for the queens themselves, my impressions of them remain largely unchanged. Save for a few:
Pearl— she's got a lot more personality and grace than I gave her credit, but you can still see she's ready to bite back
Max— slightly more awkward... take that as you will.
Kennedy— flatlined for me, when I was hoping she's turn into this diva and naive, unintentionally funny queen.

Huh, seems like one of my acquaintance is the executive producer of the new UNTUCKED.

Here was his facebook post a few days before the premier:

This season of Drag Race is gonna be great... I was Executive Producer for Untucked... TRUST ME... It's like nothing you've ever seen with this popular series... Raw, real, hilarious, emotional... And all premiering next week... Check it out fans and friends... I'm very proud of it

Seems like he wasn't lying!

Wilsongt

Yeah, I love the new Untucked. I actually felt sad for the first queen to go... Mainly because they didn't deserve it, and two, it made it very real.

That Untucked was fantastic. The casting reveals, makeup touchups, reactions when they were called back to the stage...
It feels so much more real than anything before. I'm loving the editing this season. It seems like they took some feedback.

It feels like a real behind-the-scenes now instead of an extra 22 minutes of forced drama.

Bonus Clip 1: Hotel Arrival
Bonus Clip 2: Before Entering The Workroom

I am fucking GAGGING at the transparency this year. It's so refreshing.
More long-running reality shows should do this. By the time you're on season 7, the "magic" has gone somewhat, so it's not a risk to give us a peek behind the curtain so to speak.

I'm in love with everything this year. The group as a whole just seems more mature and hungry for the win, like no one's just here to occupy a spot.

royalan

Bonus Clip 1: Hotel Arrival
Bonus Clip 2: Before Entering The Workroom

I am fucking GAGGING at the transparency this year. It's so refreshing.

It is. I feel it was around season 4 that the show turned away from the more natural progression that made seasons 1 - 3 so popular, and go in the more scripted, "zany" direction that describes modern competition reality shows. Untucked especially felt like the producers went back to season 2. Other than the lack of the Interior Illusions Lounge (RIP), it was very much a return to the older Untucked.

I'm still not feeling the move to web series, though. Monday nights being Ru nights is such a huge thing. I know so many people who throw parties and go out to the bars to watch Drag Race. It's such a big part of the culture of watching the show that Ru herself referenced it during the last finale, and Untucked was definitely a major part of that. As scripted as Untucked got (and they did need to change that), it was still the craziest part of the night, and often more memorable than the actual episode (just look at the title of this OT). I think moving Untucked to a next-day web series isn't going to be a good move for the show's overall visibility.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It is. I feel it was around season 4 that the show turned away from the more natural progression that made seasons 1 - 3 so popular, and go in the more scripted, "zany" direction that describes modern competition reality shows. Untucked especially felt like the producers went back to season 2. Other than the lack of the Interior Illusions Lounge (RIP), it was very much a return to the older Untucked.

I'm still not feeling the move to web series, though. Monday nights being Ru nights is such a huge thing. I know so many people who throw parties and go out to the bars to watch Drag Race. It's such a big part of the culture of watching the show that Ru herself referenced it during the last finale, and Untucked was definitely a major part of that. As scripted as Untucked got (and they did need to change that), it was still the craziest part of the night, and often more memorable than the actual episode (just look at the title of this OT). I think moving Untucked to a next-day web series isn't going to be a good move for the show's overall visibility.

I think the move for the web series was to make the WOWpresents channel get more clicks. I mean I will click since the Untucked episode was really good. Could have worked fine after show even as it is.

Monocle

Untucked has arrived
On youtube of all things,
says the video isnt available to me so who knows

edit; oh hola got it working
I absolutely love the new format. The manipulated narratives of seasons 5 and 6 were soaring to a level of stupid that almost made me swear off Untucked forever. Manufactured drama is just annoying when it's that blatant. It's about time the editors stepped back and let some (more or less) real moments unfold naturally, at least to the extent that's possible with cameras all up in everyone's face.

Fewer close-up reaction shots, less overbearing sound design, and an authentic backstage feel complete with visible production people? Yes, yes, and yes please. There were times when I felt like I was actually witnessing authentic conversations. Imagine that.

I approve of Untucked as an online show. It was nice to watch the first episode on my phone today. Totally redeemed my exhausting afternoon.

mantidor

I'm not getting Trixie's popularity, I don't like her.

And yesterday went to a bar to see the ep, it was pretty awesome. Since logo hates anything outside the US we have to do the bar thing the day after.

I could see her being the joslyn fox of this season. Nice personality but nothing else outstanding.

I think he's a little more with it than Joslyn. If anything, I think he's more of a DeLa type - he has a very set character when he's in drag. He's definitely gonna get clocked for that by the judges, especially with that crazy makeup.

Sometimes I wonder what they want from them when they say be more glam or sophisticated, if they have an offbeat character or style, do they really need to change that?

Maybe the judges are just saying step it up, like Ru says know who you are and commit to it at all times. A lot of the girls after the show when I see them in videos or whatever have really stepped up their own style/persona and took it too the next level. I guess that's what they want to see.

razznjazz

Neo Member
Quite disappointed about the first elimination and the fact that Alaska didn't serve as guest judge after teasing us with her presence.

Ginger, Trixie, and Katya intrigue me. Other than that, I'm living for Jasmine. Forget the rock abs and runway mess---what energy! She lights up the room. Or at least, what I can see of the room from the framing of the shots.

I would be in love with Max's schtick if it worked (huge classical Hollywood fan myself), but I don't feel that it does. I just imagine Katharine Hepburn poking him with a stick saying, "speak up, boy, I can't hear you when you insist on mewing like a newborn kitten."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom