• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Spider-man playable character in Marvel's Avengers exclusive to PS4 / PS5

Big if true as far as mind-share for this game is concerned.

Sony going for the Marvel Box. First with Spider-man, followed by Iron Man VR, God of War: Ragnarok featuring Thor and now this? Smart.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
we'll see but spidey was present in an exclusive marvel switch game, no ? last year. so /doubt
edit : yes it was

People believe that since Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man (and TV rights for shows longer than 45 minutes), they also own the game rights. When they don't. The toy, game, publishing, etc all reside with Disney/Marvel and they made $1.3 billion a year off licensing Spider-Man.

Sony going for the Marvel Box. First with Spider-man, followed by Iron Man VR, God of War: Ragnarok featuring Thor and now this? Smart.

Not big, based on how the game looks and plays. It's looking like a big huge dud with little to zero interest in the game among the industry. I'm worried about Crystal Dynamics future after this game tbh.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's not based on the MCU at all.
Crystal Dynamics said they used a combination the comics and the MCU in order to craft the game. When you look at the character designs and costumes, a lot of them resemble that of the MCU. The helicarrier looks similar to the one in the MCU too. There's definitely some stuff that is clearly more inspired by the comics, like Hawkeye, but to say that the MCU had no influence on the game is ridiculous.

Not big, based on how the game looks and plays. It's looking like a big huge dud with little to zero interest in the game among the industry. I'm worried about Crystal Dynamics future after this game tbh.

Game looks ok for a current gen game. How it plays well.... I'm not really upbeat about it but the game has to be played to truly make an informed opinion on it. The game's story structure is more an area of concern with these multi-characters rather than the gameplay per say. It's a Marvel hero mash-up IP so its got that going for it. However it's true that the vibe so far is lukewarm. This game will die on the hill of reviews imo. As for Crystal..... there is always Tomb Raider or whatever IP Square decides to give them. I'm not worried.... perhaps a shake up if this game bombs really bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Crystal Dynamics said they used a combination the comics and the MCU in order to craft the game. When you look at the character designs and costumes, a lot of them resemble that of the MCU. The helicarrier looks similar to the one in the MCU too. There's definitely some stuff that is clearly more inspired by the comics, like Hawkeye, but to say that the MCU had no influence on the game is ridiculous.

It's set in Marvel Games' "GamerVerse". Not the MCU. They might have used designs similar to the movies because that's what people know, but the it's as much based on the MCU movies as the Spider-Man PS4 game is based on the Spider-Man movies. In the Spider-Man PS4 game he mentions how the Avengers are on the West Coast. That's this game.

Game looks ok for a current gen game. How it plays well.... I'm not really upbeat about it but the game has to be played to truly make an informed opinion on it.

People will be able to play it on Friday.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned

Iron man vr is so underrated as well, fantastic game, hope they get another marvel license and can do another non vr game like spider man though.

SaucyJack

Spider-Man is not an Avenger anyway.

Say what?

LbUKMgE.jpg

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Marvel Avengers will end up being the best Marvel game this generation. Miles won't have any of the detail and complexity of MA. I look forward to the game. And I'm glad that Spiderman will be exclusive to Sony. That's only fair.

Last edited:
Marvel Avengers will end up being the best Marvel game this generation. Miles won't have any of the detail and complexity of MA. I look forward to the game. And I'm glad that Spiderman will be exclusive to Sony. That's only fair.

Isn't Avengers mostly a very linear experience? It looks practically on rails in a lot of the footage.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Isn't Avengers mostly a very linear experience? It looks practically on rails in a lot of the footage.

It might be but that doesn't mean it's at a disadvantage where story, gameplay and graphics are concerned. The Spiderman games had several little mini-games that were considered "fluff" for me. I only really care about campaign missions in general. The Avengers game looks better and has more variety for gameplay. Story might be crap but most SP games are.

It might be but that doesn't mean it's at a disadvantage where story, gameplay and graphics are concerned. The Spiderman games had several little mini-games that were considered "fluff" for me. I only really care about campaign missions in general. The Avengers game looks better and has more variety for gameplay. Story might be crap but most SP games are.

I hope you're right. I want the game to be good.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
In all seriousness, i dont have a problem with this really. Sony hold the rights to Spiderman, and with the new Spiderman game being an exclusive, they probably want Spiderman to be almost a PS5 mascot in a sense.
Still a cringy thing to do, but it is what it is. Plus the game looks awful anyway lol.

Totally agree. This would be the same as a game Xbox had the marketing on having Master Chief as a playable character exclusive to Xbox. It's nothing to get mad about and not a big deal, especially since it seems like hardly anyone cares about the game anyway.

Entroyp

Totally agree. This would be the same as a game Xbox had the marketing on having Master Chief as a playable character exclusive to Xbox. It's nothing to get mad about and not a big deal, especially since it seems like hardly anyone cares about the game anyway.

Yea right? I do wonder why would Marvel put an Avengers game in the hands of that developer. Looks pretty bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Well it's an issue IF the game supports cross-play. As it'd be like there being an exclusive class in Destiny that only one platform had access to.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hate these practices. Microsoft and Sony have both been doing this to one another, back and forth. Makes me hate the third-party part of the industry even more.

Kagey K

Banned
I hate these practices. Microsoft and Sony have both been doing this to one another, back and forth. Makes me hate the third-party part of the industry even more.
What’s the last 3rd party game MIcrosoft secured content not available on other platforms for?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What’s the last 3rd party game MIcrosoft secured content not available on other platforms for?
Good question, I don't know the most recent example. Are you not familiar with timed exclusives and timed DLC on franchises like Call of Duty and AssCreed?

Kagey K

Banned
Good question, I don't know the most recent example. Are you not familiar with timed exclusives and timed DLC on franchises like Call of Duty and AssCreed?
How long ago was that?

Currently there is only 1 company locking down exclusive DLC to multiplatform games.

Kagey K

Banned
You had to get the XBOX version of Borderlands 3 to get alternate jokes that were actually funny, also in the XBOX version of Red Dead Redemption 2 John Marston is able to swim.
The irony is that Red Dead 2 actually had platform exclusive stuff, but not for Xbox.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How long ago was that?

Currently there is only 1 company locking down exclusive DLC to multiplatform games.
Not sure what your point is. That only Sony is in a position to do it now? It's a continuation of what happened earlier in the gen and last gen, a practice that Microsoft only started condemning when they no longer wanted to spend the capital on it. I'm not interested in blaming one moreso than the other. Both have done it. Both are guilty. It shouldn't be supported when Sony does it which is what some people in the thread are choosing to do.

Kagey K

Banned
Not sure what your point is. That only Sony is in a position to do it now? It's a continuation of what happened earlier in the gen and last gen, a practice that Microsoft only started condemning when they no longer wanted to spend the capital on it. I'm not interested in blaming one moreso than the other. Both have done it. Both are guilty. It shouldn't be supported when Sony does it which is what some people in the thread are choosing to do.
No it’s a change in policy on MS side.

"People always knock me on this; I've been on record... I don't love the idea or practice of us paying so other platforms can't play or use a certain gun in a game or do a certain level," he said. "I know I say that and, Xbox history--DLC exclusivity windows with Call of Duty--I understand the fingers are pointing right back to Xbox. I can only be who I am. It's not the best PR answer. But I don't like that."

Feel Free to continue painting it as a both sides thing though.

The irony is that Red Dead 2 actually had platform exclusive stuff, but not for Xbox.

I think Microsoft are smart about this stuff, like the paid online thing, if they do away with it and Sony doesn't Sony looks bad regardless of who started it. It's like Microsoft is playing the long game, 4D chess, however you want to put it. Though it might be absurd to think they instituted these practices just to ditch them later after their competition adopts them, and I'd never purport it, I do think they've always had more long term visions, a good example would be how they lost money on every OG XBOX sold due to how expensive it was but they weren't concerned with short term profits, they were concerned with the long term war and it paid off. I think Gamepass is a similar situation where if it's profitable now doesn't really matter to them, it's very strategic long term thinking that a company with as much money to blow as Microsoft is capable of.... that said the platform exclusive stuff I do think is down to Phil Spencer coming in with his more consumer friendly approach.

Honestly speaking, Spidey is the last character I'd want to play as in this game, there are dozens of games where you can play as him, and i'd like they pick some others and put them on the spotlight instead of him, who's basically omnipresent
And, first of all, I'd want the main cast to be much better in quality than it looks

Wolverine and other x men
War machine
Sam Wilson as falcon and / or the black captain america
Bucky Barnes
Gotg
Black panther

Only a few examples that imho are way more interesting than the usual Spiderman

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No it’s a change in policy on MS side.

"People always knock me on this; I've been on record... I don't love the idea or practice of us paying so other platforms can't play or use a certain gun in a game or do a certain level," he said. "I know I say that and, Xbox history--DLC exclusivity windows with Call of Duty--I understand the fingers are pointing right back to Xbox. I can only be who I am. It's not the best PR answer. But I don't like that."

Feel Free to continue painting it as a both sides thing though.
I'm not painting it as anything, and a quote for Phil PR Spencer isn't going to make your case. Sounds like you're chomping at the bit for a console war, but I'm completely disinterested. Go find someone else to browbeat.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not painting it as anything, and a quote for Phil PR Spencer isn't going to make your case. Sounds like you're chomping at the bit for a console war, but I'm completely disinterested. Go find someone else to browbeat.
Nah I’m done, just wanted to correct a fallacy.

killatopak

I hate exclusive deals.

Sure, I may laugh about it now because it’s coming to my preferred platform but when it happens to others and I get left out it feels bad.

Hopefully this isn’t true and worst case just a timed deal.

SilentUser

I imagined that when they announced exclusives things to PlayStation... Honestly, this is bullshit and people should complain with S-E... This kind of crap should have ended a long time ago...
100% agreed. Bad practice, doens't matter who did it. Hopefully it will backfire.

FranXico

I imagined that when they announced exclusives things to PlayStation... Honestly, this is bullshit and people should complain with S-E... This kind of crap should have ended a long time ago...
Agreed, this crap (DLC, partial content exclusivity) started last gen. People should not have bought into it.

Kagey K

Banned
You can write in your diary "I proselytized on the videogame forum again. No fallacies could withstand me". :goog_rofl:
There’s enough FUD out there about all these companies so when the opportunity comes up to correct some of it, it should be taken.

Wouldn‘t you agree?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There’s enough FUD out there about all these companies so when the opportunity comes up to correct some of it, it should be taken.

Wouldn‘t you agree?
No, I don't agree. That was made clear in the earlier post when I sarcastically mocked your need to correct what you see as "fallacies" on the internet. The only reason there's a console war between brands is because loyalists like yourself patrol the interwebs, taking upon themselves the Righteous Task of tone policing when someone criticizes too much.

Vawn

Banned
This could have been huge, but I have a strong feeling this game is going to be subpar, so I don't know how many will care either way.

FranXico

This could have been huge, but I have a strong feeling this game is going to be subpar, so I don't know how many will care either way.
It does not look very good, yeah. Trend follower games never get much right.

Sad about Crystal Dynamics too.

Last edited:

Metnut

Anyone who really cares about Spidey will have a PS4/5 anyway so this won’t really big a deal to most.

Also, Marvel movies are trash and have drained resources away from actual good cinema for years. Come at me bros 😉

Last edited:

Amiga

It's set in Marvel Games' "GamerVerse". Not the MCU. They might have used designs similar to the movies because that's what people know, but the it's as much based on the MCU movies as the Spider-Man PS4 game is based on the Spider-Man movies. In the Spider-Man PS4 game he mentions how the Avengers are on the West Coast. That's this game.

People will be able to play it on Friday.
wait!
Spider-Man PS4 and this avengers game are in the same universe? is this confirmed?

Top Bottom