• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] PS5 Slim to be released Q3 2023

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If it's true, it'll probably be a slimmed down digital version. Though perhaps both disc and digital get the same slim shell. I dont think it'll be a pro version though I'm thinking 2024 might be the year.

As for timing, a 2023 release is even better because PS5s are hard to find already. So you might as well just wait till next year and see if you can snag a slim version. Even better if a pro version does happen and you can decide on that one too.

When it comes to consoles, never rush. Other perks that happen playing the waiting game is a new refreshed model comes with bigger storage too. Happened to last few generations. Every few years a new model comes out with a bigger HDD. In this case, it'll be an SSD boost.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I will 100% happily buy a slim if this is true

I'm hoping for something that isn't garish. Typically these slim models are all about that cost reduction, so they drop design elements that are unnecessary.

I Hope Please GIF

@Black_Stride, yeah I think they did. The cooler is a lot smaller now, there's really no need for it to be in a box that big already.

Sounds about right, PS4 slim and Pro not launched in 2016 which was 3 years after the original PS4 launch in Nov 15th 2013. Wonder if we would also get a PS5 pro next year alongside slim.

If it's true, it'll probably be a slimmed down digital version. Though perhaps both disc and digital get the same slim shell. I dont think it'll be a pro version though I'm thinking 2024 might be the year.

As for timing, a 2023 release is even better because PS5s are hard to find already. So you might as well just wait till next year and see if you can snag a slim version. Even better if a pro version does happen and you can decide on that one too.

When it comes to consoles, never rush. Other perks that happen playing the waiting game is a new refreshed model comes with bigger storage too. Happened to last few generations. Every few years a new model comes out with a bigger HDD. In this case, it'll be an SSD boost.
The pro isnt coming till at least 2024

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hope they won't abandon the curves and white color.
And I hope there is no Pro.... otherwise I buy

The pro is expected in 2024 so isn’t it better to wait for that

I think I’ll trade in my PS5 for a slim. I’m undecided if I’ll get a pro if one does come out. Og > slim > pro? 🤔

Though I know I’ll get the pro version of Series X if it comes out. Og > Slim > XX (pro)

Hope both consoles are quite a bit smaller, like Series S size. 👍🏻

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Good, the thing is a monster, I think it tried to kill me the other day, it was just lurking in the corner watching me........

You'll get a pro version around 2025 and next gen around 2029.

A year ago Sony had live service games planned to be released until 2026 for PS5 at least. This gen is taking a while to actually get going and videogame development has never been this slow. There's no reasons for a new gen in 4 years.
Do you believe its going to take 9 years till next gen? I can understand your reasoning but...its kind of disheartening. Current gen and even pro models would be too obsolete by then

Do you believe its going to take 9 years till next gen? I can understand your reasoning but...its kind of disheartening. Current gen and even pro models would be too obsolete by then
It depends on when the Pro versions are released. These consoles are 2 years old and we barely got 100% next gen games. There's no need to release new hardware every 5 years.
The fact these companies are still releasing PS4 games 9 years after it first released says it all. With how games are evolving less and less visually, there's no need to lots of hardware revisions per decade.

If we get the Pro version in 2015 (so, only 3 years without crossgen titles) and then the Pro lasting for 3 or 4 years sounds more than enough.

Next gen won't be here until 2028 or 2029.

There's also the situation where inflation, the potential recession, less money made with these machines for the next few years might help everything i'm saying as well.

Robb

Gold Member
Yes please, I’ve been holding off for either a Slim or Pro. Slim would be the best case scenario considering I’m not a fan of the current monstrosity. They really need to fix the design imo.

Oversupply of chips.
Reports have surfaced that TSMC has already cut it's orders with suppliers by close to 50%.
Maybe that's why Sony is expecting to produce more consoles than originally expected, even though people thought their numbers were ambitious.

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe that's why Sony is expecting to produce more consoles than originally expected, even though people thought their numbers were ambitious.

Not quite.
Most contractors of waffers at TSMC, like NVidia and AMD are moving to newer process nodes. Like N5 and N4.
That leaves more waffers in the N7 and N6 nodes free for other products. And it was foreseen a long time ago.
This global reduction on chip demand, is just another reason, but it just happened recently.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Nah these are kinda rubbish too, looks like a PC case where the fans stopped working and they have to leave the side panel off to stop it overheating but the cat keeps licking the motherboard and electrocuting itself so they rest the side panel against it.
I disagree, they are sleek in comparaison of the beefy routers video but it's a matter of taste at this point.
You still have my lol for the cat story 😹

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Patience might just pay off here for me. I loathe the ps5 design. Was in no rush to get one besides having to play ragnarok on PS4…. Might just wait it out as I’ve become more patient in my older years and have toomuch shit to play already. I don’t let hype suck me in anymore

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It depends on when the Pro versions are released. These consoles are 2 years old and we barely got 100% next gen games. There's no need to release new hardware every 5 years.
The fact these companies are still releasing PS4 games 9 years after it first released says it all. With how games are evolving less and less visually, there's no need to lots of hardware revisions per decade.

If we get the Pro version in 2015 (so, only 3 years without crossgen titles) and then the Pro lasting for 3 or 4 years sounds more than enough.

Next gen won't be here until 2028 or 2029.

There's also the situation where inflation, the potential recession, less money made with these machines for the next few years might help everything i'm saying as well.
They won't last THAT much without ending up completely losing overall general public interest in their later years and according to the cross-gen 'rule', it would also result in games still being released for these consoles more than 11 years after their original release. Late 2026/2027 is the perfect cutting point.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Would be total waste with current development times.
Not really.

PS5 Pro games have to ship and run on PS5s. Min spec doesn't rise.

Where as, if its got the same specs but called a PS6 it allows games the option of not supporting PS5.

A PS6 in 2026 would be far better than a PS5 Pro in 2025, even if the specs of both were the same.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/11/07/report-a-ps5-slim-may-be-coming-in-2023/

(Update: Journalist Tom Henderson believes this was originally his scoop about upcoming PS5 changes that was repurposed)

- Despite not being branded “slim,” a reduction in size is the main purpose. It uses “die-shrink” treatment to reduce its design.

- It uses less voltage, runs cooler and is in turn more lightweight. This is in addition to internal changes Sony has already made to the PS5 thus far, but those have not been enough to shrink the outer casing of the unit yet.

- Additionally, this new model would try to ditch the awkward stand you have to balance the PS5 on when it lies on its side.

- The main focus is to reduce the size and weight to bring down shipping and productions costs. This would likely replace and phase out the current PS5.

- This is supposed to start being produced in Q2 2023 aiming for Q3 2023 release, so likely next holiday.

Last edited:

waquzy

No reason to buy the slim if you already have the OG, would buy the PS5 Pro in a heart beat though. Even at £550.

i think these design are probably the best of both worlds. stays true to the stupid design of the current model with the curves but makes it more flat:

sony-playstation-5-slim-console.jpg

PS5SlimConcept.jpg

No reason to buy the slim if you already have the OG, would buy the PS5 Pro in a heart beat though. Even at £550.
well that's always been the case. the only reason to switch an OG model is if you really care about thermals/noise/power draw...or in this case how huge the console is.

lol any PS5 Pro is not going to be £550. That's only £70 more than the standard model since Sony's price hike. my guess would be £600-650 for a Pro.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
From the FTC/Microsoft court case:

“Xbox Series S is sold for $50 less than the Switch OLED model,” Microsoft stated in their proposed findings of fact legal document.

PlayStation likewise sells a less expensive Digital Edition for $399.99, and is expected to release a PlayStation 5 Slim later this year at the same reduced price point.” A footnote on the same page touches on Project Q’s expected price as under $300, which would roughly convert to £235 / AU$450.

TLZ

Banned
From the FTC/Microsoft court case:

“Xbox Series S is sold for $50 less than the Switch OLED model,” Microsoft stated in their proposed findings of fact legal document.

PlayStation likewise sells a less expensive Digital Edition for $399.99, and is expected to release a PlayStation 5 Slim later this year at the same reduced price point.” A footnote on the same page touches on Project Q’s expected price as under $300, which would roughly convert to £235 / AU$450.
This deserves its own thread!

Top Bottom