• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mid-Gen Upgrades for PS5 and Xbox Series X devkits have been received by most AAA studios, according to GTA Forum insider

Azurro

Banned
The way how I see it with cross gen being so dominant, generations are having less of a meaning.

Releasing the PS6 6 years after the PS5 is a much better approach than dragging out the generation for 8 years.

It's going to be quite a while before a SoC with 60-70 AMD TFs can be put in a console for a price under 600 USD. So releasing a console with around 20-25 TFs in 2024 for the enthusiast crowd doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Godfavor

Hm, if the devs have already received a mid gen dev kit means that the GPU would most likely be RDNA3. If we take into account previous mid gen upgrades we should expect 2-4 times the GPU power. Even if we only are at 2x, it means that we could have a 24 TF machine at 200-250watt max. Not sure if rdna 3 is that efficient, unless process node goes to 4nm by 2024.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Hm, if the devs have already received a mid gen dev kit means that the GPU would most likely be RDNA3. If we take into account previous mid gen upgrades we should expect 2-4 times the GPU power. Even if we only are at 2x, it means that we could have a 24 TF machine at 200-250watt max. Not sure if rdna 3 is that efficient, unless process node goes to 4nm by 2024.

They could always push the wattage up a bit too. If so, look for lots of venting and a triple fan setup like they do on modern gpus.

vivftp

The way how I see it with cross gen being so dominant, generations are having less of a meaning.

Releasing the PS6 6 years after the PS5 is a much better approach than dragging out the generation for 8 years.

Cross-gen isn't being dominant, it's being artificially extended this gen due to the pandemic pushing games back. Every single PlayStation project we're aware of after Ragnarok (via official announcements and job postings) is PS5 only. We're just uncertain about TLOU MP. I'm thinking that the only cross-gen games to come out of SIE after Ragnarok will be the occasional live service game. We know some of their games will also be playable on mobile, so at that point why not make a PS4 version.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We barely have scratched this gen so far due to the cross gen stuff being extended. I doubt there will be a pro model coming soon. I expect 2024 the soonest if they do. So close 2 years from now.
They base these pro models on people wanting new toys and if they would sell or not

Sony/MS don't care about current games being cross gen they care if you and I buy these things and I for one will but it day one and if its a decent upgrade I will be looking for more than one honestly

Ecotic

I really don't like the idea of graphics modes on consoles (choosing between high resolution, performance, ray-tracing). I'm missing out on something no matter what I choose. I know the PS5 and Series X aren't powerful enough to deliver a locked 4K, 60 fps, and ray-tracing all at the same time. Mid-gen refreshes that can deliver all of these at the same time is very appealing to me.

But, am I just deluding myself that once consoles are powerful enough to fuse all the graphics modes together, that choosing between graphics modes could become a thing of the past? Will the PS6 and beyond probably still split up the graphics into separate modes?

They base these pro models on people wanting new toys and if they would sell or not

Sony/MS don't care about current games being cross gen they care if you and I buy these things and I for one will but it day one and if its a decent upgrade I will be looking for more than one honestly
Well I hope you get what what you want but I'll be holding on buying one. I feel I've barely even got any games to use on the one I have, and need to get my money worth.
I know last gen pro options gave options for 4k, what will this one bring? Just higher res to 4k and 60 fps? I would need to see more to even think that is worth another $500 at least.
Plus with the chip shortage, will we even see numbers that the ps4 pro got? I don't know if it makes sense with a recession coming as well. If there is a market they will make one, I just don't know if it makes sense.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well I hope you get what what you want but I'll be holding on buying one. I feel I've barely even got any games to use on the one I have, and need to get my money worth.
I know last gen pro options gave options for 4k, what will this one bring? Just higher res to 4k and 60 fps? I would need to see more to even think that is worth another $500 at least.
Plus with the chip shortage, will we even see numbers that the ps4 pro got? I don't know if it makes sense with a recession coming as well. If there is a market they will make one, I just don't know if it makes sense.
IF and thats a big If these pro models could push more games full 4k 120fps then I am all in

Just afraid moving forward as devs do start pushing these machines we will see more games go the Gotham Knights route and pick 30 fps and for me every game should have some sort of 60 fps option

Godfavor

They could always push the wattage up a bit too. If so, look for lots of venting and a triple fan setup like they do on modern gpus.
Yeah this means that the hypothetical dev consoles that are out now would be quite beefy with cooling, and at 6nm at best. MS and Sony might have to wait for a die shrink to release them to the market or raise the TDP for a late 2023 release ( not that easy as European union are quite strict with power budget on home appliances)

I’m praying it’s rdna 4 actually if it’s rdna 3 it won’t be that much more powerful

Godfavor

I’m praying it’s rdna 4 actually if it’s rdna 3 it won’t be that much more powerful
It is quite difficult that it could be RDNA 4 if these dev consoles are out now. I suspect that they are custom RDNA 3.
Maybe RDNA 3 is extremely efficient at low power, we have to wait for the gpu reviews

It is quite difficult that it could be RDNA 4 if these dev consoles are out now. I suspect that they are custom RDNA 3.
Maybe RDNA 3 is extremely efficient at low power, we have to wait for the gpu reviews
The consoles will either be extremely expensive to deliver a notable power bump or not that much more powerful if it’s 3 it would be so stupid to jump on rdna 3 when waiting Just slightly more time will give us a substantially better product. I also want then wait till 2024 not just for rdna 4 but also to jump to zen 5

Godfavor

The consoles will either be extremely expensive to deliver a notable power bump or not that much more powerful if it’s 3 it would be so stupid to jump on rdna 3 when waiting Just slightly more time will give us a substantially better product. I also want then wait till 2024 not just for rdna 4 but also to jump to zen 5
It could be the case that these dev alpha consoles are indeed rdna3 (with beefy TF) and then switch to rdna4 just before the release for efficiency... It has happened in the past...

It could be the case that these dev alpha consoles are indeed rdna3 (with beefy TF) and then switch to rdna4 just before the release for efficiency... It has happened in the past...
Do you think if they do an early 2024 release it’s possible for them to be rdna 4 and be the first devices on the market with the tech?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
nah the Series X needs a revision! we finally need a truly 1:1 cube shaped console. the GameCube was a rectangular cuboid! WE NEED A REAL CUBE!
I know you're joking here but I'd love for that to happen, a more mature black gamecube would be such an adorable and awesome design. I already love how the series X and S look so adding this change would make them even better

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If its true they already got dev kits, then fall 2023/early 2024 are on track.

I dont think dev kits are sent out that far in advance (at 2 years if it was a fall 2024 release)?

Last edited:
There's no way Sony will double the CU count of the PS5 for the Pro variant. There will be a lot of implications especially for silicone cost and yields.

My guess is they'll go for a more cost-effective solution, but relatively speaking since it is a Pro model. I'm guessing the same CU count but with an RDNA 3 based GPU with significantly higher clocks, around 3 Ghz and they'll likely pluck features from a future architecture like RDNA 4 as they have done in the past.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
U can still not walk in a store and buy a ps5 and here we are talking about ps5 pro what brain dead stupidity is that.
So since the current PS5 is flying off the shelves Sony should not produce a higher end product until every last person has a current one?

Besides anyone who REALLY wanted a PS5 should have one by now with how long they stay in stock online anymore

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was struggling to type this without trying to sound like a douche lol
Yeah I knew it could come across as being an ass but honestly the whole "but the current ones don't have enough stock" argument makes zero sense to me.

People do not realize how long these machines take to get them to market and honestly Sony doesn't really want a ton a stock sitting on shelves

We'll have Pro console before proper next gen exclusives...
Those next gen exclusives are still going to struggle with framerate, Ray Tracing, and all the advanced settings that PC will have over them.

I for one would love to get a new console every 3 years. I could trade in my previous one to Gamestop or whatever, pay $300 after that to have a console that's not getting left in the dust compared to PC which is what I'm seeing happening now. Just look at how big the difference is in a game like Cyberpunk on ps5 compared to PC. Dying Light 2 on PC, Control with their RT are like different games.

I want to be able to play Starfield at 60 fps not the 30 fps it'll be on SX. The new consoles are underpowered imo.

spons

Gold Member
They can't even buy enough manufacturing space in China to get the current shit produced, so they're going to release another one? Developers have massive problems creating games for the current machines while trying to strike a balance between budget, manpower and product performance? Who cares, just consume the next iteration of crap you not only don't need, but didn't even ask for either.

aclar00

I already went next gen. RIP 30fps.

fRfk2xt.jpg

60fps has been around for quite some time no? Didnt PS1 have multiple 60fps games? I dont see a new gen solving anything unless 60fps is made mandatory by the manufacturers or their is limited push to incorporate other techonologies such as ray tracing, 8K and HDR.

Im sure there's some other new technological shit im unaware of as well that would drain resources and require games to drop to 30fps.

edit: Unless VRR or whatever is customary and requires little resources.

Last edited:

Starcheif

I could go for a refresh but only because I have been planning on buying a 2nd console. It would also have to come out between now and April 2023 anything after that is to late.

Tarin02543

That's the only way we'll be able to have cutting edge performance on console consistently throughout the gen while being affordable. You trade on your old system and pay $300-$400 for the refresh.

I grew up with consoles which were ahead of pc tech. Going x86 because the world runs on x86 is a smart move but not a very interesting one.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Neogaf: pc gaming is expensive you have to upgrade your rig every year.

Also Gaf 2 years into the new console generation : we need a new console

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The reason for mid gen refreshes would be to try to keep people from jumping to PC. That's why they happened last gen. PC gaming tech is leaving consoles in the dust. Consoles are going to need to offer higher performance options or risk losing even more market share to PC gaming.
A console release, either new gen or mid refresh can't prevent people to go to pc.

Want 120+ fps? Build your own rig.

Want to prioritise quality or performance? Build your own rig (I'm not talking about the quality /performance like this gen, but being able to decide every setting yourself)

Want to pay some more up front for hardware that can last 8 years at least and still be good? Build your own pc.
Sure yoy could upgrade your PC, but I mean you could buy a PS5, XSX, and a Steam Deck for the price of a 4090 alone.
Unlike on consoles, you have a choice in choosing a GPU. You don't need to buy a 4090 to enjoy pc gaming.
I can understand them making a slim model of the current consoles, but it seems pointless to bring out a model with better specs when they are still making games cross gen with the PS4 and Xbox One
Yeah I call BS on that to. But you can see there are a few elitists in here that would buy it.
for people that want to play 2024+ games with high settings/rtx on/ 60 fps a mid gen refresh will be useful
if medium settings/30 fps or low-medium settings/60fps doesnt bother you then you dont need a mid gen refresh
So you believe a mid gen refresh will get 60 fps only games? Like, you know, this gen were promoting 60 fps at the beginning just like previous generation?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

No one's keeping these consoles for being 60 fps besides the dev.
Developers will always priorities graphic over framerate, like they always have done.
These current consoles were never really next gen to begin with. It's amazing what performance limitations they already have. 30 fps games?
And a mid gen refresh will have that too, like previous gen. Better hardware push better graphics, not framerates.
60fps has been around for quite some time no? Didnt PS1 have multiple 60fps games? I dont see a new gen solving anything unless 60fps is made mandatory by the manufacturers or their is limited push to incorporate other techonologies such as ray tracing, 8K and HDR.

Im sure there's some other new technological shit im unaware of as well that would drain resources and require games to drop to 30fps.

edit: Unless VRR or whatever is customary and requires little resources.
At least guy gets it.

Flintty

I won't be doing a mid gen upgrade this time. I got the Xbox One X because A) it was a beast compared to the shitty X1, and B) just for 4K. In hindsight, it probably wasn't worth the expense for the little time I had it til I got Series X at launch.

samoilaaa

Mid gen refresh and we haven’t even got this gen games. Absolutely fucken nothing. A bunch of PS4 ports. This PS gen has been a shambles. I’m so disappointed.
we will get spider man 2 , final fantasy 16 , redfall , starfield , star wars jedi survivor , alan wake 2 , cyberpunk phantom liberty in 2023
A console release, either new gen or mid refresh can't prevent people to go to pc.

Want 120+ fps? Build your own rig.

Want to prioritise quality or performance? Build your own rig (I'm not talking about the quality /performance like this gen, but being able to decide every setting yourself)

Want to pay some more up front for hardware that can last 8 years at least and still be good? Build your own pc.

Unlike on consoles, you have a choice in choosing a GPU. You don't need to buy a 4090 to enjoy pc gaming.

Yeah I call BS on that to. But you can see there are a few elitists in here that would buy it.

So you believe a mid gen refresh will get 60 fps only games? Like, you know, this gen were promoting 60 fps at the beginning just like previous generation?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

No one's keeping these consoles for being 60 fps besides the dev.
Developers will always priorities graphic over framerate, like they always have done.

And a mid gen refresh will have that too, like previous gen. Better hardware push better graphics, not framerates.

At least guy gets it.
fine then forget i mentioned 60 fps , if you want high settings with rtx on you will need mid gen refresh , otherwise enjoy ur low to medium settings

Top Bottom