• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Forza Motorsport is coming out in October

Riky

$MSFT
Are you genuinely citing "Tier 2 Variable Rate Shading" as a reason a game would take 6 years to develop?

They literally haven't released a game since before the Xbox One X released (Being a support studio to Playground doesn't count).

You are right though, they were consistently releasing games up to Forza 7. Which is why this level of a delay is so puzzling, there had to have been something that went terribly wrong behind the scenes. As a side note I personally think pushing Ray Traced Reflections in game is a complete waste of time and a waste of resources, and I'll be surprised if it looks better than Forza Horizon 5.

I didn't say it took six years because of Tier 2 VRS, I said that is one example of the overhaul. Nothing has gone "terribly wrong" they have rewrote their engine for next gen to include new physics and ray tracing etc. Real next gen games take time to make not just doubling the framerate of last gen games as we've seen so often this gen.

The whole tyres having more contact points and the physics being refresh at a greater rates need proper demonstration for it to be perceived meaningfully.
Anyone who has ever paid attention to the physics simulation on racing games knows this is objectively a massive improvement. There is no reason to assume they will not make the gameplay noticeably better because of this. In fact, this change alone should yield a generation improvement in physics and handling. Not to mention other updates to the physics engine.

Ozriel

M$FT
hellblade. but that one-month window is bad

if true and Starfield in sept. these clowns didn't learn anything about H:I and FH.

Two distinctly different genres, designed to be played for long. I don’t see the issue.
Didn’t ruin anything when Sony released GT7 and Horizon FW back to back.

Are you genuinely citing "Tier 2 Variable Rate Shading" as a reason a game would take 6 years to develop?

They literally haven't released a game since before the Xbox One X released (Being a support studio to Playground doesn't count).

You are right though, they were consistently releasing games up to Forza 7. Which is why this level of a delay is so puzzling, there had to have been something that went terribly wrong behind the scenes. As a side note I personally think pushing Ray Traced Reflections in game is a complete waste of time and a waste of resources, and I'll be surprised if it looks better than Forza Horizon 5.

Not everything has to be a conspiracy theory. They’re using their ForzaTech engine they’ve long since mastered. Their devs didn’t depart en masse. No big layoffs. Where would anything have gone ‘terribly wrong’?

When an extremely efficient studio takes time out to overhaul their game, there’s enough credibility to give them 100% benefit of the doubt. Fans called for significant changes after Forza Motorsport 7. Why would one then expect the usual 2 year cycle?

Two distinctly different genres, designed to be played for long. I don’t see the issue.
Didn’t ruin anything when Sony released GT7 and Horizon FW back to back.

one:
this is about MS/Xbox.

🙅 sony too™ 🙅

two:
is about good scheduling. it doesn't matter if they are two different genres.

remember: MS is "selling" Game Pass.

Sep
Nov or Dic
Jan or Feb.

Starfield, Forza and Hellblade.

there you have, up to 6 months of good AAA consistency. It let's them market each game to maximize awareness, and gives more dev time to other studios.

Of course, assuming all three are at least 80+ MC. (which i think is quite possible).

Ozriel

M$FT
one:
this is about MS/Xbox.

🙅 sony too™ 🙅

It’s the most recent case of a first party releasing AAA back to back and it didn’t hamper sales.

Not exactly rocket science.
two:
is about good scheduling. it doesn't matter if they are two different genres.

remember: MS is "selling" Game Pass.

Sep
Nov or Dic
Jan or Feb.

Starfield, Forza and Hellblade.

there you have, up to 6 months of good AAA consistency. It let's them market each game to maximize awareness, and gives more dev time to other studios.

There’s no point in sitting on games, and it’s perfectly fine to not have a brand new AAA game for some months after dropping big titles . That’s the norm.

Neither Starfield or Forza Motorsport are short, one and done games. Anyone subscribing to GP to play Starfield is likely to remain subbed for months, if it turns out fine.

You market the games pre-release, and Forza or Starfield will get a ton of awareness after the projected deep dives during their June 2023 Showcase

Of course, assuming all three are at least 80+ MC. (which i think is quite possible).

That’s the most likely outcome, given the games in question.

It’s the most recent case of a first party releasing AAA back to back and it didn’t hamper sales.

There’s no point in sitting on games, and it’s perfectly fine to not have a brand new AAA game for some months after dropping big titles . That’s the norm.

Neither Starfield or Forza Motorsport are short, one and done games. Anyone subscribing to GP to play Starfield is likely to remain subbed for months, if it turns out fine.

You market the games pre-release, and Forza or Starfield will get a ton of awareness after the projected deep dives during their June 2023 Showcase

That’s the most likely outcome, given the games in question.

the most recent case was Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon.

and that was a bad decision. AGAIN. is not about sales. is about scheduling of releases....and i am not talking about subscribers.

i am talking about PR/Marketing.

Did you were actively ignoring what happened in the last couple of weeks?
again: i am talking about PR/Marketing.

you said games....i am saying Game Pass.
this is the thing....Two scenarios:

1:
September: Starfield
October: Forza
November: Hellblade.

Yet again, another delay in the release schedule frustrates Phil, breaking his promise once more (one game at quality every there months)...leading to a negative PR cycle.

2:
September: Starfield
November-Decemeber: Forza
February-March: hellblade

better spacing between games.

is not rocket science.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
if true and Starfield in sept. these clowns didn't learn anything about H:I and FH.
Strange take in all honesty

For me personally Forza and Starfield could release the same day as both games, especially Forza (for me) are long haul type of games for me

Heck I still go back to Forza Motorsports 7 from time to time since getting this ultrawide monitor its a whole new experience

Strange take in all honesty

For me personally Forza and Starfield could release the same day as both games, especially Forza (for me) are long haul type of games for me

Heck I still go back to Forza Motorsports 7 from time to time since getting this ultrawide monitor its a whole new experience
people are not reading what I am saying.

Phil promised one game per quarter.

Ok. I saw the interview.

There is no overlap in these two games, like Heisenberg said, they could very well release in the same week and there would be little overlap.

but it doesn't matter.

Let's see how MS messes things up again

Crayon

Why is this game taking this long? They announced it at launch and it’s been 3 years now….. the fuck is going on?

Phil said that's exactly what they'd do. In his own way, of course .

Hey, from a PR standpoint it would be really easy for me to put a trailer on screen’, but then I know the game is not coming for another two and half or three years, so I didn’t want to do that."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Phil said that's exactly what they'd do. In his own way, of course .

Hey, from a PR standpoint it would be really easy for me to put a trailer on screen’, but then I know the game is not coming for another two and half or three years, so I didn’t want to do that."
But you did do that, for like the past 5+ years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But you did do that, for like the past 5+ years.

yeah, that's what the man said, they specifically didn't do that in the last years show probably because of the backlash.

I expect this years show to also have little to no pure CG announcement trailers.

Phil has promised us a lot over the years plus these games have been delayed like crazy anyhow
but that is the issue.

look at last 4-5 weeks of Xbox's PR. (redfall/Xbox "situation")

week 1: IGN preview
week 2: 30 FPS news
week 3: reviews/interview
week 4-5: Reactions/Podcasts.

this is how the mind-share/perception/narrative is built....that shitshow just undermined the good momentum they had with the bethesda direct and Hi-Fi rush.

(not to mention the poor state of Ghost Wired tokyo on Xbox)

so, assuming these 3 games are locked and loaded (because of their delays). I Think MS should be cautious with their release schedule because they could be in a position of not having AAA games again for a long period of time.

so, a 3 months of rebuilding trust and goodwill could very well be 6.

That's all I'm saying.

adamsapple

What about Stalker 2? Isn't that game a Microsoft timed exclusive releasing this year?

It's in development but members from the dev team are also fighting in the Ukraine-Russia situation so don't expect it to come out in a hurry.

Justin9mm

True but are we talking about the effect on sales? How many impactful sales are there really going to be outside of Gamepass? I feel like most Xbox owners looking at these titles will have gamepass.. Who are they competing with?

Last edited:
True but are we talking about the effect on sales? How many impactful sales are there really going to be outside of Gamepass? I feel like most Xbox owners looking at these titles will have gamepass.. Who are they competing with?
i am not talking about sales or GP subscription.

i am talking about PR and Marketing.

adamsapple

but I am not talking about sales.

I am talking about the messaging/ perception/narrative of and around a brand.

You're concerned about the perception because Starfield will come out in September and Forza *might* come out in October?

What a weird thing to focus on. Even if it's October, it's gonna be a 40, 50 day gap between the two. Why would one effect the other .. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Justin9mm

but I am not talking about sales.

I am talking about the messaging/ perception/narrative of and around a brand.
They don't give a shit about the messaging / perception and narrative of and around the brand other than for the purpose of sales. It's a business, their single goal and focus are profits! I don't think anyone else gives a shit either. Everyone knows it's a gamepass game and it comes out when it comes out. Plenty of time to play Starfield(if not delayed) before FM. They aren't even in the same category. You can pick up and play Forza when you have downtime from Starfield. Most people can play more than one game at once. Be a nice break from Starfield to play a few races. I really don't understand the concern.

You're concerned about the perception because Starfield will come out in September and Forza *might* come out in October?

What a weird thing to focus on. Even if it's October, it's gonna be a 40, 50 day gap between the two. Why would one effect the other .. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
i am not concerned. I am taking from a perspective of analyzing/speculating PR/Marketing and its effect in discourse/narrative and that kind of shit.

just like some people like to talk about FPS, resolution , textures. etc..

i find fascinating the PR cycle and its dynamism between Executive's statements, influencers/media and minions.

content(PR + influencers + minions) = Narrative.

They don't give a shit about the messaging / perception and narrative of and around the brand other than for the purpose of sales. It's a business, their single goal and focus are profits! I don't think anyone else gives a shit either. Everyone knows it's a gamepass game and it comes out when it comes out. Plenty of time to play Starfield(if not delayed) before FM. They aren't even in the same category. You can pick up and play Forza when you have downtime from Starfield. Most people can play more than one game at once. Be a nice break from Starfield to play a few races. I really don't understand the concern.
sCAtPaC.jpg

LypWgg7.jpg
MRtgCAu.jpg

xrnzaaas

I mean. Motorsport 7 was criticised for treading the same waters then previous games. So I'm glad they are taking their time instead of rushing another Motorsport game out 2 years after FM7. Just hoping it will translate into better campaign (for example).
I hope this statement won't bite you in the ass when FM8 releases after so many years and it's not that different from FM7. And I don't mean to be a jerk here, I'm keeping fingers crossed myself that it'll be great and worth the wait.

NickFire

people are not reading what I am saying.

I know what you’re talking about, but I don’t see them delaying Forza as part of the big game each quarter goal if it’s ready in the Fall. Sometimes plans need to shift at least short term. And right now they need to release as many big games as possible before holiday season.They aren’t in a position to push form over substance at the moment. Substance is desperately needed.

I hope this statement won't bite you in the ass when FM8 releases after so many years and it's not that different from FM7. And I don't mean to be a jerk here, I'm keeping fingers crossed myself that it'll be great and worth the wait.
I’m confident the game will be a significant improvement based on the publicly available information. Updated physics, tire compounds and pit strategy, proper online racing events with practice/qualifying/race sessions. Those all all welcome confirmed improvements that are way different than Forza 7.

Top Bottom