• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4060 launching on June 29.

Leonidas

it appears the release date has been expedited. Previously it was scheduled for July. Good to see it pushed forward.

Should be on par with RTX 2080 (faster than the 7600 XT). Good to see that performance level now down at $299, this will be the best RT GPU under $300. This will also be the highest performing 115 watt GPU upon release.

Hydroxy

Its bad even at $299 due to only 8gb vram, if it had 12gb then it would be good. Forget about RT, it won't even be able to play at high settings on newest aaa games at 1080p without running out of vram. Only silver lining is slightly less shitty than 4060Ti

it appears the release date has been expedited. Previously it was scheduled for July. Good to see it pushed forward.

Should be on par with RTX 2080 (faster than the 7600 XT). Good to see that performance level now down at $299, this will be the best RT GPU under $300. This will also be the highest performing 115 watt GPU upon release.
Fess up. What's your actual connection to Nvidia? Do you have a financial interest in the company of any kind? Have lots of money invested in shares? No logical consumer would stan for a company releasing such underwhelming and overpriced products. If you do have a financial interest that fine, but might as well disclose.

winjer

Gold Member
Probably the same performance as the 3060 12GB. But with much less vram, only 128 bit bus and only 8X PCI lanes.
This is one of the few times in GPU history, when the newer card is worst than the one it's replacing.

nkarafo

Fuck NVIDIA, let their stock rot in some landfill.

This is one of the few times in GPU history, when the newer card is worst than the one it's replacing.
NVIDIA had some bad products in the past such as the Geforce 4 MX and the whole FX series. But now they don't care because they only sell you their AI software at this point.

Would be a good upgrade for someone with a GT710
They will be better of with a 12GB 3060 or an AMD card at the same price range.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
There’s legit chances that the 3060 will outperform this in VRAM starved games 😂

Fuck this gen

Also on games that hit the PCI-e bus, like Spider-man remastered with RT on.
And playing on higher resolutions, where memory bandwidth is more important.

Smiggs

Oh look, they changed the 4050's name to a 4060! They've basically moved the entire stack down a name this gen. 4080 should have been a 4070, 4070 should have been a 4060, and this pile of human excrement should have been a 4050.

Fuck Nvidia.

winjer

Gold Member
Oh look, they changed the 4050's name to a 4060! They've basically moved the entire stack down a name this gen. 4080 should have been a 4070, 4070 should have been a 4060, and this pile of human excrement should have been a 4050.

Fuck Nvidia.

Yes, it's a xx50, rebranded to a xx60. Close to the price of a xx70.

Xdrive05

Can't really get excited since I already have a stellar 1080p card in the 3060 12GB (EVGA no less!).

In reality $299 is the new sweet spot price for mainstream gaming GPUs, like the all important $199 cards of yesteryear, which means this 4060 *should* be a generation defining release like the GTX 1060 6GB was, say. But it also looks like they totally gimped it, even beyond the 8GB limitation.

adamosmaki

How do you know is faster than 7600xt ? We know next to nothing about it. If anything if we go by 4060ti ( not even 10%faster than 3060ti) 4060 will be barely faster than 3060 with less vram aka failure

nkarafo

But it also looks like they totally gimped it, even beyond the 8GB limitation.

Yeah, that's the biggest issue. I didn't care about the 8GB limit because i was sure a 16GB version would be released after a while, just like how there was a 3060 12GB. The 3060 at 6GB was also a terrible deal, remember? But with 12GB it's an awesome card.

Even with 16GB though, the 4060 is still going to be awful because of the additional bottlenecks and regressions.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Probably the same performance as the 3060 12GB.
If that were the case, it'd be ~15% slower than the 7600 XT. That's not going to happen...

Being faster and cheaper doesn't make a card worse.

How do you know is faster than 7600xt ?
Nvidia claimed 20% faster than the 3060. This would put it slightly ahead the 7600 XT in raster and ~30% faster in RT.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
If that were the case, it'd be ~15% slower than the 7600 XT. That's not going to happen...

Nvidia claimed 20% faster than the 3060. This would put it slightly ahead the 7600 XT in raster and ~30% faster in RT.

Not even AMD or Intel is putting out decent cards in that price range...

Maybe 15% faster than a 3060 12GB, when it's not limited by vram amount, memory bandwidth and PCIe bandwidth.

lmimmfn

No if's and buts are going to change the fact that this is a crap product at a crap price.
Its guranteed to be lying on shelves after release.

Leonidas

Fess up. What's your actual connection to Nvidia? Do you have a financial interest in the company of any kind? Have lots of money invested in shares? No logical consumer would stan for a company releasing such underwhelming and overpriced products. If you do have a financial interest that fine, but might as well disclose.
What part of the OP makes me a shill?
I simply posted facts and info based on what is known today.

299 lol.

at 150 it might be worth it.

Maybe 15% faster than a 3060 12GB, when it's not limited by vram amount, memory bandwidth and PCIe bandwidth.
Memory bandwidth doesn't really make much difference at 1080p/1440p.

Saying the 12 GB 3060 is a better GPU than the 4060 is like saying the 12 GB 3060 is also a better GPU than the 3070 Ti...

Spyxos

Gold Member
Emotion Reaction GIF

Jensen Gpu GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

Leonidas

No if's and buts are going to change the fact that this is a crap product at a crap price.
Its guranteed to be lying on shelves after release.
RTX 2080-tier performance isn't crap. This GPU is better than the GPU in the latest consoles in some ways.
This is also the first time RTX 2080-tier has come to $299.

Of course memory bandwidth matters, especially with a 128 bits bus.
If it mattered so much why did 128-bit 4060 Ti only lose only 3% (on average) relative to 256-bit 3070 when going from 1080p to 1440p?

winjer

Gold Member
If it mattered so much why did 128-bit 4060 Ti only lose only 3% (on average) relative to 256-bit 3070 when going from 1080p to 1440p?

You do realize that means a loss in performance scaling. And like vram amount, it's going to get worse as games demand more memory transfers.

adamosmaki

7600 is close to 20% faster than 3060 aka similar to 4060 performance of we go by nvidia saying. 7600xt should be decently faster than 4060 at least on rasterization

Leonidas

7600 is close to 20% faster than 3060 aka similar to 4060 performance of we go by nvidia saying. 7600xt should be decently faster than 4060 at least on rasterization
4060 and 7600 will probably be within ~5% of each other in raster. Basically the same, on average.
But in RT the 3060 was already 20% faster than the 7600 so the 4060 will probably be closer to 30-40% faster than the 7600 in RT.

It seems obvious the 4060 will be the faster GPU overall.

Last edited:

SantaC

What part of the OP makes me a shill?
I simply posted facts and info based on what is known today.

Memory bandwidth doesn't really make much difference at 1080p/1440p.

Saying the 12 GB 3060 is a better GPU than the 4060 is like saying the 12 GB 3060 is also a better GPU than the 3070 Ti...

Leonidas

Still not hitting your magical $150 despite being a last gen GPU sold at close to 50% off MSRP.

And the 6600 performs a lot worse than the 4060.

Where is a good current gen option from AMD/Intel at $150?

It doesn't exist.

No, having less VRAM does.
Saying a card is worse on the basis of VRAM alone is wrong...

I used a 3070 for nearly two years and it was a great experience.

I would have had a miserable time with a 12GB 3060. The 3070 even with 8 GB was a much better card, 50% faster.

Zathalus

Saying a card is worse on the basis of VRAM alone is wrong...

I used a 3070 for nearly two years and it was a great experience.

I would have had a miserable time with a 12GB 3060. The 3070 even with 8 GB was a much better card, 50% faster.
Way to miss the point. The 3060 is getting replaced with a card that has less VRAM. That makes it factually worse in that regard. Especially with VRAM requirements increasing.

The goal of a new generation is not to actually fucking regress. I believe this is the first time a replacement card has actually had less VRAM then the previous generation.

StereoVsn

Would be a good upgrade for someone with a GT710
I mean, yeah, pretty much anything is a good upgrade at this point.

Personally for $300 I would take a look if I could snag 6700xt/6750xt or Intel 770 16gb if I caught them on sale. Plus or minus a few $.

If these are not an option, unfortunately 4060 would be it. Unless you are willing to go used, which isn't a bad idea right now.

Leonidas

The 3060 is getting replaced with a card that has less VRAM. That makes it factually worse in that regard.
That is obvious. But having less VRAM doesn't make a 20% faster and cheaper card worse.

I never said 8 GB > 12 GB.

Simply that there are 8 GB cards that are faster (and better) than the 12 GB 3060. Making the 12 GB 3060 worse than many 8 GB cards in the area that matters, performance.

The goal of a new generation is not to actually fucking regress. I believe this is the first time a replacement card has actually had less VRAM then the previous generation.
Not the first time. R9 390 was 8 GB, Fury X was 4 GB.

There has never been a 12 GB card with an MSRP of under $300.

Zathalus

That is obvious. But having less VRAM doesn't make a 20% faster and cheaper card worse.

I never said 8 GB > 12 GB.

Simply that there are 8 GB cards that are faster (and better) than the 12 GB 3060. Making the 12 GB 3060 worse than many 8 GB cards in the area that matters, performance.

Not the first time. R9 390 was 8 GB, Fury X was 4 GB.

There has never been a 12 GB card with an MSRP of under $300.
The Fury X was not a replacement for the R9 390. Considering they released the same month.

Leonidas

The Fury X was its own thing
Excuses excuses.

That being said the Fury X was a shit card, so I guess the 4060 is in good company.
The difference with the 4060 is that the 4060 is most likely better than the card it's competing against (RX 7600). 11% more money but you get ~35% better RT, and it's more efficient and has features not found on 3 year old cards and isn't giving up VRAM vs. the card it's competing against.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Excuses excuses.
What excuses? The Fury X was not a direct replacement, hence the different name. 290X -> 390X was the obvious replacement looking at the naming scheme. Regardless the Fury X was a terrible card compared to the 980ti.
The difference with the 4060 is that the 4060 is most likely better than the card it's competing against (RX 7600). 11% more money but you get ~35% better RT, and it's more efficient and has features not found on 3 year old cards and isn't giving up VRAM vs. the card it's competing against.
Ok great, the 7600 is a shit card as well. None of the arguments you are making is justifying the regression in VRAM. Especially as the feature Nvidia blows AMD out of the water with (RT performance) is starting to push beyond the boundaries of that 8GB. You are going to have some games perform or look better on the 3060 compared to the 4060 which is hilarious.

Leonidas

None of the arguments you are making is justifying the regression in VRAM.
I'm not attempting to justify anything, only stating that the 4060 has the same VRAM as the card its competing against. A fact. And that there is no card with $299 MSRP with 12 or 16 GB VRAM. Another fact.

Ok great, the 7600 is a shit card as well.
And the 4060, the card it's competing against, seems less bad, since it has more features and much better RT while not costing much more.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Probably the same performance as the 3060 12GB. But with much less vram, only 128 bit bus and only 8X PCI lanes.

It looks a fair bit quicker than the 3060 12GB (I have one of these myself).

This is in 3DMark so we'll have to wait for real world performance.

Clearly the architecture is a significant improvement. The VRAM and 128-bit bus is what will likely hold it back, although 8GB will probably be adequate for 1080p at least, for the rest of this console generation.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It looks a fair bit quicker than the 3060 12GB (I have one of these myself).

This is in 3DMark so we'll have to wait for real world performance.

Clearly the architecture is a significant improvement. The VRAM and 128-bit bus is what will likely hold it back, although 8GB will probably be adequate for 1080p at least, for the rest of this console generation.

Not so much the architecture. TSMC's N4 is allowing for Ada Lovelace to clock much higher than Ampere.

Elysium44

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure with how poor some PC ports are

Adequate, not necessarily ideal. Some games will likely require dialing back settings a bit. I imagine for all the negativity, this card will become the new mainstream favourite. Most people are still only playing at 1080p and for a lot of people this card represents a major upgrade.

Top Bottom