• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Bloodborne - The masterpiece

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
A friend of mine picked up Bloodborne upon my recommendation so I decided to start a new playthrough to play along with him. This is my 6th playthrough of what I consider the greatest game of all time. With this many playthroughs you'd think Id have seen everything but no I noticed a lot of details this time around which continue to further convince me Bloodborne really is the greatest game of all time.

The Intro

"Ah...Paleblood, yes. Well you've come to the right place. Yharnam is the home of blood ministration. You need only unravel its mystery." A wheelchair bound mysterious old man says right as the game starts. Most new players gloss over it but the game sets up what you, the player Hunter is searching for from the moment the opening cutscene plays.

Where to go?

As soon as you step outside of Iosefka's clinic and open the first gate, the Great Bridge is in plain view right in front of you. Without so much as a word, the game's already hinting you where to go. Even though Cleric Beast is an optional boss and the Great Bridge is a deadend, it does lead to the sewers to the next boss.

Beast hunter or beast within?

With headphones on, a lot of ambient sounds and dialogue is brought to the forefront. The Yharnamites are inflicted and turning into beasts. Upon defeat their dementia becomes apparent when they cry out "damn beast'. They think it is the player Hunter who is a beast, a sign of dementia brought on by their affliction.

The thrill of the hunt

These symptoms come to a tipping point against the first mandatory boss fight in the game, Father Gascoigne. Upon encountering Father G he remarks "Beasts all over the shop, you'll be one of them soon enough." before attacking you in a beastly rage.

"The sweet blood. Oh, it sings to me. It's enough to make a man sick." raves Father G as the thrill of the hunt eventually consumes him, transforming him into a beast. Those who hunt beasts are prone to becoming that which they hunt if they get consumed by the intoxication of the hunt.

The Scourge of Old Yharnam

Old Yharnam was burned to the ground and sealed off due to the spread of the scourge. The beasts here look different from before. How exactly did the Scourge spread in Old Yharnam? The answer may lie in the Church of the Good Chalice. As Gehrman tells us, "Most of the Holy Chalices lie deep within the tomb of the gods. And the few that found their way to the surface... Were lost again in the hands of men. But if the old hunter tales remain true... ...one of the Holy Chalices is worshipped in the valley hamlet." Could this chalice have been the source of the Scourge outbreak in Old Yharnam?

The Last Vicar

The second mandatory boss of the game, Vicar Amelia is located in the Grand Cathedral. Like Gascoigne she also transforms into a beast as the player approaches but... Did you know whispers of her prayer can be heard in the Cathedral before you initiate the fight?

"Remain wary of the frailty of men. Their wills are weak, minds young."
"Were it not for fear, death would go unlamented."
"Seek the old blood."
"Let us pray, let us wish... to partake in communion."
"Let us partake in communion... and feast upon the old blood."
"Our thirst for blood satiates us, soothes our fears."
"Seek the old blood."
"But beware the frailty of men. Their wills are weak, minds young."
"The foul beasts will dangle nectar and lure the meek into the depths."
"Remain wary of the frailty of men..."

Conclusion

There's just so much detail and coherence in the game that one could spend hours analyzing every detail and connecting the plot points. Im sure Ill notice even more details as I continue playing. Im playing a PS4 Pro this time around and the framerates a bit better but the frame pacing is still there. I also love how interconnected everything is. Like the great bridge example earlier, you often see areas in the distance which you'll visit (Church of the Good Chalice in Old Yharnam for example).

Not to mention the impeccably tuned combat making it a joy to hunt, the haunting and memorable soundtrack which elevates the atmosphere, the intensity of the boss fights keeping you on the edge of your seat and finally, a brilliant story which will keep a player engrossed in the games lore long after they've finished playing.

Without a doubt one of the best game ever and my personal favorite. Theres something here thats so compelling. Ive got a backlog of stuff but had no qualms about starting Bloodborne another time which is a testament to what a phenomenal game it is.

Kindekuma

Banned
While it's been months since I've beaten Bloodborne, I still hear the yowls of Orphan of Kos. I need to go back in for NG+. So, so good.

sublimit

Banned
It's really a gem of a game.I really need to start my 3rd playthrough someday.After all a hunter must hunt.
shake_off_cape.gif

ugly

Bloodborne is among the very few modern day single player experiences that respects and executes a finely tuned system of mechanics with all the cohesion of the great games on the SNES (demons crest, super metroid etc). It absolutely nails its game-feel which so fluidly supports its stat system that the flow of Bloodborne feels intuitive - compellingly so when taken with its level design and irresistibly dark atmosphere. Its a feat, really. It's a modern day SNES game with its philosophy on engagement and logic encased in a killer presentation. Brilliant game.

Now that you mentioned it OP, I actually didn't know where to go at first lol.

My first boss encounter was Gascoigne, and it beat the shit out of me for an hour before I decided to backtrack and farm more blood. Along the way, I found the Cleric Best and beat it in one go. Gained a few levels and upgraded my weapon, I could finally get my revenge with Gascoigne.

Jigorath

Banned
Combined with The Old Hunters, I'd say it's one of the best games ever made. Should be a mandatory purchase for anyone picking up a PS4.

elfinke

I too, recently had a desire to load it back up. Picked up a Pro, which I think was the factor that tipped me over. I don't have anywhere near the same love for it as many of you, regarding it as my least favourite Souls game, or perhaps slightly better than DS3.

Still a great game, mind you. Might jump back in this weekend.

Truant

Best PS4 exclusive, and one of the best games of the generation. Possibly of all time.

Can't wait for the sequel announcement at E3.
Japan Studio developed.

guyssorry

Stopping by to say this game is phenomenal. I have a few gripes (I played it at launch), but, overall, it is a wonderful, memorable game. If every game was of its quality, I would be the happiest gamer. I hope FromSoft makes more games like BB/Souls.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Bloodborne was the sole reason I decided to put $400+ down on a PS4, and I would say it ended up being worth it. I wasn't all too fond of it in the beginning, coming from Dark Souls and its far better roleplaying potential and more varied combat, but over time, and especially after reading Lovecraft for the first time, I gained a much deeper appreciation for all (or most, I should say) of the changes that Miyazaki and co. made in creating Bloodborne - the decision to focus on fast-paced melee combat and elevate that style of gameplay to new heights, the insight and frenzy system, the relatively limited yet rich color palette.

It truly is a splendid game.

xuchu

Certainly one of the best games this generation. Go back and forth over which souls game is my favourite but bloodborne is definitely the most cohesive for me. Loved the bait and switch during my first playthrough and old hunters(ranks right up there with artorias dlc) brought some great and interesting new weapons and added to weapon diversity. Most Trick weapons were essentially two weapon types combined from the old games. Even though build diversity is less than in the other games, due to a consolidation of stats, I've done a surprising number of runs cos of how fun arcane is especially at higher levels. Chalice dungeons was a cool idea but, as many will note, they didn't fully pull the execution off (maybe due to time and monetary constraints). Had a fair bit of fun running and farming them endlessly and loved the unique bosses and modifiers but they really needed more unique tilesets. The one kin (isz?) chalice set was cool but every other chalice tileset really looked the same and once you've done enough, you'll easily notice the tileset patterns and often where to go for the lever the instant you step into the first room.

Interesting idea with the headphones may try that on when I, inevitably, step back into yharnam. The sound design is amazingly eerie.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bloodborne is fantastic, but the frame pacing REALLY bothers me. Wish they'd find a way to fix it.

It's gorgeous in stills, though. I started the screenshots thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022740

One of my favorite games this gen, although I like BotW, MK8 and MGSV more.

Great taste as always Neits! BotW and MK8D are up there for me as well along with Persona 5 as the best of this gen.

To be fair I was very apprehensive of this gen and the slow start but Bloodborne single handedly justified my PS4 purchase.

Raptor

Once this game went cosmic I said "this is the best game ever created"

I dreamed about that stuff for weeks.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Interesting idea with the headphones may try that on when I, inevitably, step back into yharnam. The sound design is amazingly eerie.

Unfortunately, for as good as the sound design is in general, it falters pretty noticeably in a few locations in the game. Since sound effects like howling wind or the crackling of fire are tied to the direction of the camera rather than the actual orientation of your character, you can end up in situations where the surrounding noise level goes from almost completely quiet to gale-force winds just from panning the camera a few degrees, which is a bit of an immersion-breaker for me. The best example of this would probably be the top level (or maybe second level from the top, don't quite recall) of Cathedral Ward as you exit from the interior to the outside and back again. I think this has been something of an issue in other Souls games but it seems especially conspicuous in Bloodborne, probably doubly so for headphone users.

sanstesy

I'm not the biggest Souls fan but the bosses in the main game are way to weak in comparison to other Souls games for me to call it my favourite one which is basically the main draw here. Too many flailing beast bosses, filler bosses (Witch, One Reborn, Shadow of Yharnam, alien squid boss) and not much else.

The DLC in comparison has two insanely amazing fights in Orphan and Ludwig that show what's lacking in the main game but that's only two fights.

xuchu

Unfortunately, for as good as the sound design is in general, it falters pretty noticeably in a few locations in the game. Since sound effects like howling wind or the crackling of fire are tied to the direction of the camera rather than the actual orientation of your character, you can end up in situations where the surrounding noise level goes from almost completely quiet to gale-force winds just from panning the camera a few degrees, which is a bit of an immersion-breaker for me. The best example of this would probably be the top level (or maybe second level from the top, don't quite recall) of Cathedral Ward as you exit from the interior to the outside and back again. I think this has been something of an issue in other Souls games but it seems especially conspicuous in Bloodborne, probably doubly so for headphone users.

Yes, you're right. This is definitely the case in other souls games and is an issue even without headphones. Particularly funny is panning the camera when first entering ash lake.

needs better framerate and shorter loading times which are mostly technical flaws rather than gameplay.

If im going to nitpick id say challice dungeons sucked, camera sucked, hitboxes and clipping were jank as were the balloon corpse physics. The gameplay loop of just finding out which moves are punishable and then dodging and hitting, sometimes parry, got pretty repetitive. Maybe some more interactivity or interesting boss arenas (soon as you see them you're like, yeah theres gonna be a boss here) rather than a big open room would go a long way.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Probably my favorite game. Even though I had like NG+ 7 and then attempted the DLC. That fucking sucked.

Bronetta

I'm not the biggest Souls fan but the bosses in the main game are way to weak in comparison to other Souls games for me to call it my favourite one which is basically the main draw here. Too many flailing beast bosses, filler bosses (Witch, One Reborn, Shadow of Yharnam, alien squid boss) and not much else.

The DLC in comparison has two insanely amazing fights in Orphan and Ludwig that show what's lacking in the main game but that's only two fights.

The flailing around is an aspect of their beastly rage. Ludwig does a fair share of flailing himself when he stomps around. I had more trouble with the bosses in this game compared to Demons or Dark Souls (Dark Souls has O&S going for it and... Thats it until Artorias in the DLC as far as hard bosses go).

I also wouldn't consider those bosses filler due to the lore implications. The One Reborn is the School of Mensis' big failed ritual at beckoning a great one. You see hints of the ritual in notes throughout the game.

Shadow of Yharnam is a curveball. You expect them to be the shadows of the city but rather they're the shadows/bodyguards of the Queen Yharnam, meaning the Queen was probably buried or taken to the area you fight them in.

Alien squid boss do you mean Ebrietas? She is perhaps the most important boss in the game lorewise. After all she is the source of the Healing Church's blood ministration.

The game tells you so little but if you read between the lines theres so much said and implied about every boss, every item and every aspect of the game really.

One of the best gameplay focused single player games you'll ever play. Edge got that 10/10 completely right. Shame about the performance issues und blood vial farming though. Else you basically got the game of the forever.

sanstesy

The flailing around is an aspect of their beastly rage. Ludwig does a fair share of flailing himself when he stomps around. I had more trouble with the bosses in this game compared to Demons or Dark Souls (Dark Souls has O&S going for it and... Thats it until Artorias in the DLC as far as hard bosses go).

I also wouldn't consider those bosses filler due to the lore implications. The One Reborn is the School of Mensis' big failed ritual at beckoning a great one. You see hints of the ritual in notes throughout the game.

Shadow of Yharnam is a curveball. You expect them to be the shadows of the city but rather they're the shadows/bodyguards of the Queen Yharnam, meaning the Queen was probably buried or taken to the area you fight them in.

Alien squid boss do you mean Ebrietas? She is perhaps the most important boss in the game lorewise. After all she is the source of the Healing Church's blood ministration.

The game tells you so little but if you read between the lines theres so much said and implied about every boss, every item and every aspect of the game really.

I don't really care about lore when it's mechanically weak and nothing in the game otherwise makes up for it.

I took a break from a Souls binge (DS,DS2, DeS) to play Breath of the Wild. Bloodborne has been nagging at me though, I'm 80 hours into BOTW and I don't know if I have the energy to find the remaining 40 shrines.

Must resist urge to drop nearly completed game and start another.

Have to disagree. It was okay at best, though to be fair, all souls games are just okay for me. I'll never understand the praise and fascination some people get over this game. Its actually lacking in terms of gameplay compared to Dark Souls among other things. If it wasnt for the DLC i would even consider it pretty meh.

autoduelist

Demon's Souls beats it out for me, but only because I played Demon's first. But the *Souls games will likely forever be my favorite set of games.

In fact, all I really want is the ability to play them all on my PS4 so I can play through them all again from scratch. Thankfully, I still have DS2 + 3 to play [plat'd the others, but haven't had time to play 2 or 3 due to kids].

burgerdog

I think it's time I replay this for the 6th or 7th time.

edit
I would probably be on my 10th+ attempt if I had the game digitally. Whew,

dlauv

I like the game but the constant gushing about it is extremely confusing and kind of off-putting.

PVP sucks, multi sucks; bad framepacing with drops + bad IQ + motion blur + fast combat; chalice dungeons; really linear with a couple dead ends. I was mislead into spending two hours with optional content, like, twice. R1 spam is so strong vs enemies that it's kind of pointless to use anything else on offer outside of a few scenarios. Very little build variety. They brought grass back. I really didn't like the stage with the respawning enemies. It reminded me of grinding out a big daddy in Bioshock with rejuv chambers in the way that it's really corny to surmount but you can keep respawning so it's whatever.

It felt like a half-step towards a real evolution of the Souls series. Most disappointing 8.5-9/10 for me, lol. Granted, I haven't played Old Hunters.

I like the game but the constant gushing about it is extremely confusing and kind of off-putting.

PVP sucks, multi sucks; bad framepacing with drops + bad IQ + motion blur + fast combat; chalice dungeons, really linear with a couple dead ends. R1 spam is so strong vs enemies that it's kind of pointless to use anything else on offer outside of a few scenarios. Very little build variety. They brought grass back. I really didn't like the stage with the respawning enemies. It reminded me of grinding out a big daddy in Bioshock with rejuv chambers in the way that it's really corny to surmount but you can keep respawning so it's whatever.

It felt like a half-step towards a real evolution of the Souls series. Most disappointing 9/10 ever, lol.

I've probably spent more time in Bloodborne than everyone else in this thread combined but I would be stupid to suggest it doesn't have any problems. Build variety is probably its biggest flaw as far as replayability goes, and the framepacing was a damn shame. I was really hoping there would bea massive Pro patch for it that fixed the technical issues but unfortunately no dice.

Top Bottom