• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Bloodborne - The masterpiece

Laputa_94

Bloodborne is a game that is very style over substance for me. I think the game is memorable visually along with its general setting, but when it comes to the actual combat and playing the game I have no interest in it. The slap happy enemies are not my thing. Still a quality game, but I have zero interest to ever return to it despite missing a couple of areas along with having the DLC.

sphinx

the piano man
Laurence for sure or the Orphan.

Parry-Visceral was doable with Orphan on many of his attacks, which made it a lot easier

Laurence and Ludwig are big beasts that hit hard and won't let you get near, so I am torn between those two

Necron

I agree, OP. It's in my top 5 (my favourite is still FF IX). I just started a completely new playthrough with a 2nd character despite having a bunch of other games I could play as well. Guess I can't escape the nightmare after all...

Easily game of the gen, A true masterpiece and 1 of 2 games i have platinumed.

From the gameplay, Setting, Music, It nailed everything.

Probably lack of builds/sets being the only negative, But the Cainhurst set is too damn exquisite and makes up for it.

Currently watching a twitch streamer play it for the first time, He has already said it's his fave game of all time and he hasnt even completed it. It's that captivating.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I havent beat it after buying it at launch but it remains one if the most oppressive games i have ever played. That's a good thing, as no other game i have played feels quite like it atmospherically. It just feels...dark. I love that, in a haunting way.

Lingitiz

I like the game but the constant gushing about it is extremely confusing and kind of off-putting.

PVP sucks, multi sucks; bad framepacing with drops + bad IQ + motion blur + fast combat; chalice dungeons; really linear with a couple dead ends. I was mislead into spending two hours with optional content, like, twice. R1 spam is so strong vs enemies that it's kind of pointless to use anything else on offer outside of a few scenarios. Very little build variety. They brought grass back. I really didn't like the stage with the respawning enemies. It reminded me of grinding out a big daddy in Bioshock with rejuv chambers in the way that it's really corny to surmount but you can keep respawning so it's whatever.

It felt like a half-step towards a real evolution of the Souls series. Most disappointing 8.5-9/10 for me, lol. Granted, I haven't played Old Hunters.
GAF is the only place where I see this insane, constant amount of enthusiasm for Bloodborne this far after launch. It winning GOTY over Witcher 3 here despite being only being on one platform kind of speaks for itself. It's probably had the most LTTP threads and they're all non-stop hyperbolic gushing. It was a good game but definitely not perfect, and not universally better than any of the Souls games. It did somethings better, and quite a few worse.

xuchu

It's a pretty good game.

tumblr_maapc1UN5U1rc4d7do1_400.gif

Loved paleblood hunt

GAF is the only place where I see this insane, constant amount of enthusiasm for Bloodborne this far after launch. It's probably had the most LTTP threads and they're all non-stop hyperbolic gushing. It was a good game but definitely not perfect, and not universally better than any of the Souls games. It did somethings better, and quite a few worse.

It's just further proof that a lot of GAF users have great taste.

I was but a boy when I joined the hunt. Bloodborne made me a man.

In all seriousness, I picked up the game right after a pretty big personal tragedy in my life. I think it was a healthy way to channel my anger at that time. It gave me some form of escapism and I could come home after work and get lost in the world. Honestly, no other game has had that kind of effect on me. I wish I could play it for the first time again.

Cess007

Where to go?

As soon as you step outside of Iosefka's clinic and open the first gate, the Great Bridge is in plain view right in front of you. Without so much as a word, the game's already hinting you where to go. Even though Cleric Beast is an optional boss and the Great Bridge is a deadend, it does lead to the sewers to the next boss.

I lent my game to a friend to see if he can get interested on the Souls games, and he hated it. He hated that the game doesn't explicitly tells you what to do and where to go (I remember he somehow managed to return to Yharnam without any weapons and was fighting mobs with his firsts.

I explained everything to him, but it was too late. He just hated he doesn't get directions in the game.

Literally the only game that has ever made me wish I had a Playstation. I would give my left nut for a PC port. I'm honestly tempted to rent a goddamn PS4 just so I can play this game.

Bloodborne's timing in my life also elevated it to one of the the best gaming experiences ive ever had. It also gave me an extremely surreal moment in real life.

My son was born at around the time I got to Mergo's Wet Nurse. It was creepy being in the NICU at 2am and hearing a lone baby cry out, like I had hit 80 insight in reality.

Now that I'm back home, I'm playing one of my favorite games of all time yet again.

Made a significant step towards a Platinum trophy today, as I took down (Chalice Dungeon boss spoiler)
Cursed Watchdog of the Old Lords.

Hardest boss in Bloodborne outside of the first time I fought Cleric Beast. Jesus christ, it was brutal, but I did it on my second try today after trying all night yesterday. And on my own terms too! Kirkhammer + Cannon only, no help, no parrying! As always I made it through sheer force of will :)

I lent my game to a friend to see if he can get interested on the Souls games, and he hated it. He hated that the game doesn't explicitly tells you what to do and where to go (I remember he somehow managed to return to Yharnam without any weapons and was fighting mobs with his firsts.

I explained everything to him, but it was too late. He just hated he doesn't get directions in the game.
As much as I've grown to love Central Yharnam, the onboarding experience is abysmal. I was stuck for a long while in the starting area because I didn't know I had to talk to a tombstone to teleport (which is the least intuitive thing ever, but super cool). I almost gave up, because the opening hours were abysmal. Glad I didn't but I don't blame anyone who does.

dlauv

It's just further proof that a lot of GAF users have great taste.

jk, It's nice to love a game.

I mean, it depends on what you're looking for in a Souls game. I think Bloodborne has hands down the best combat in the series.

I feel like it doesn't. Too many technical issues gunking up the pipes: camera + frame-pacing issues + motion blur + bad IQ + frame-dropping. I feel that they don't gel very well with the faster gameplay. And while the core combat is more involved in terms of movement, the weapons themselves lack variety + R1 spam is too powerful. It's good, but doesn't really one-up DS1 or 3 -- especially their 60fps PC counterparts. I'm also not a fan of the tracking in the games post-DS1.

Then there's another issue: while I like Souls combat, I've never felt that its combat was good enough to be *the* sole attraction. Bloodborne doesn't change this; even if had the best combat, it is still lacking in the ancillary elements.

Jigorath

Banned
It was a good game but definitely not perfect, and not universally better than any of the Souls games. It did somethings better, and quite a few worse.

I mean, it depends on what you're looking for in a Souls game. I think Bloodborne has hands down the best combat in the series, along with phenomenal lore, atmosphere, and level design. Weapon variety isn't great but I only ever use a handful of weapons anyways so I don't find it an issue. Yeah PVP sucks but again, it's the sort of thing I always ignore in this game. Framepacing? No defense there, it's terrible. Having mediocre to awful level design like Dark Souls 2 or a mess of a second half like Dark Souls 1 could be much bigger issues depending on what you're looking for in the series.

Kill3r7

Orphan second phase in NG+ was an absolute pain. It made me want to give up. I simply could not figure out the timing or at least could not focus enough to figure out when to dodge. It took me about 40 tries before killing him. Nameless King and Orphan share some similar traits but Nameless King is easier to block and dodge.

Griss

Yeah, it's an amazing experience. It sits alongside BotW as my favorite game in the past 10 years.

Add Witcher 3 and make it a trinity and I'm right there with you.

I should mention that Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower is one of the greatest bosses in video game history.

Oh yes.

My favourite moment was after 20+ attempts at Kos, he had me down to 4 vials left when he still had 66% of his life left. Since it was obviously a losing effort, I just threw caution to the wind and went at him. Well, fuck me, I went super saiyan with my response times and beat the fucker using only 2 vials for the entire second phase. I was euphoric when he went down. I was fucking mashing the share button to save the video afterwards, still one of my favourite uses of the share feature on the PS4 ever.

Raptor

Also the damn Giant Sharks to get rakuyo jesus christ, I nearly broke the damn controller, so relentless, unforgiving and they aint even bosses lol.

GLAMr

Bloodborne's timing in my life also elevated it to one of the the best gaming experiences ive ever had. It also gave me an extremely surreal moment in real life.

My son was born at around the time I got to Mergo's Wet Nurse. It was creepy being in the NICU at 2am and hearing a lone baby cry out, like I had hit 80 insight in reality.
Haha, brilliant. I hit 80+ but never heard the baby crying... Don't know if it's a region thing or just a fluke?

Vanadium

It's one of the greatest. But for whatever reason, even though DS3 is inferior overall, it was more enjoyable for multiple play throughs. I only did two passes in BB. As of today, I've done 7 across two systems in DS3. One each for DS2 and DS1.

It's one of the greatest. But for whatever reason, even though DS3 is inferior overall, it was more enjoyable for multiple play throughs. I only did two passes in BB. As of today, I've done 7 across two systems in DS3. One each for DS2 and DS1.

Bloodborne's replay value is undeniably the weakest of the 5 Souls games. It's very difficult to actually branch your builds out and try things that are new or different.

Jigorath

Banned
I feel like it doesn't. Too many technical issues gunking up the pipes: camera + frame-pacing issues + motion blur + bad IQ + frame-dropping. I feel that they don't gel very well with the faster gameplay. And while the core combat is more involved in terms of movement, the weapons themselves lack variety + R1 spam is too powerful. It's good, but doesn't really one-up DS1 or 3 -- especially their 60fps PC counterparts. I'm also not a fan of the tracking in the games post-DS1.

Then there's another issue: while I like Souls combat, I've never felt that its combat was good enough to be *the* sole attraction. Bloodborne doesn't change this; even if had the best combat, it is still lacking in the ancillary elements.

I agree that the technical issues are a problem. But there's nothing to do about that besides wait for the PS5 remaster.

But to be honest I never saw the big deal with the weapon variety. Most of the usual Souls weapons are all there. You have the katana, straight sword, greatsword, axe, halberd, hammer, whip, etc. It's just they all have one variant, and not 20.

jviggy43

Bloodborne is a game that is very style over substance for me. I think the game is memorable visually along with its general setting, but when it comes to the actual combat and playing the game I have no interest in it. The slap happy enemies are not my thing. Still a quality game, but I have zero interest to ever return to it despite missing a couple of areas along with having the DLC.
BB has the best combat in the souls series, unless that style in general you find to be lacking in substance.
jk, It's nice to love a game.

Disagree entirely. R1 spam is so easily parried in PvP that any half way decent player knows better than to just spam it. Weapons lakcing in variety is always a weak complaint to me because of the fact that every weapon is so unique and well thought out compared to the souls series. Entire weapon builds can feel like an entire new class in subsequent play throughs.

Daily reminder that Orphan of Kos is a terrible boss fight

Er, no. Top 3 BB boss, Top 5-8 Soulsborne boss.

dlauv

Disagree entirely. R1 spam is so easily parried in PvP that any half way decent player knows better than to just spam it.

PVE. PVP is bad for other reasons: the neutral game is too neutral because every build plays nearly the same and can weasel out out of everything with a gigantic stamina bar. The upside is that tricking a weapon mid-combo is far more useful here.

Weapons lakcing in variety is always a weak complaint to me because of the fact that every weapon is so unique and well thought out compared to the souls series. Entire weapon builds can feel like an entire new class in subsequent play throughs.

They really don't. They're just a new flavor of lightning-fast R1 spam with differing ranges, with the heavy attack being occasionally good for spacing and control. You can trick a weapon into something like a claymore, but it doesn't function the same as it would in DS3, much less DS1 (with better poise). Honestly you're just gimping yourself if you go two-handed though. Granted, I've read that Old Hunters fixed this issue to an extent (I bought the DLC, but I haven't bothered trying to get to it yet). The move-sets in weapons and the nuances of weapons with similar move-sets simply matters more in other Souls games. Outside of beast-mode, BB also lacks armor-to-weapon synergy, where shields, armor properties, and weight, to an extent, determine which weapons are worth carrying.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
GAF is the only place where I see this insane, constant amount of enthusiasm for Bloodborne this far after launch. It winning GOTY over Witcher 3 here despite being only being on one platform kind of speaks for itself. It's probably had the most LTTP threads and they're all non-stop hyperbolic gushing. It was a good game but definitely not perfect, and not universally better than any of the Souls games. It did somethings better, and quite a few worse.

I really dont know what to say to this, that we're faking our enthusiasm and adoration for. Bloodborne? People genuinely love the experience Bloodborne provides which is why it gets the praise it does.

The intricate level design, the exhilarating combat, the disturbing enemy designs, the captivating music, the maddening ambient noises, the overwhelming sense of dread, the oppressive atmosphere, the intriguing story, the expansive backstory, the themes the game explores, the way all the gameplay systems intertwine with the lore. It all just comes together to create an experience thats out od this world.

I havent felt this strongly about a game since Final Fantasy 7 and that was 20 years ago.

Maybe some of us gained enough insight to see things where others see nothing. I dont know.

jviggy43

PVE. PVP is bad for other reasons: the neutral game is too neutral because every build plays nearly the same and can weasel out out of everything.

They really don't. They're just a new flavor of lightning-fast R1 spam with differing ranges with the heavy attack being occasionally good for spacing and control. You can trick a weapon into something like a claymore, but it doesn't function the same as it would in DS3, much less DS1 (with better poise). Honestly you're just gimping yourself if you go two-handed though.

My Arc/Bld tinge/ Str builds play nothing like each other. I wont argue variety in builds isn't lacking because it is, but to say that whats there plays nearly the same is only true if you haven't done a great job of really building a build that fully takes advantage of those classes.

They really do. 2 handed in most weapon forms gives you a huge damage boost that in no way gimps you-its knowing when to use it in 2 hand and when to stick with one hand + gun. A ton of weapons gain an entire additional category of scaling in 2 hand mode that significantly buffs the damage output.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
PVE. PVP is bad for other reasons: the neutral game is too neutral because every build plays nearly the same and can weasel out out of everything with a gigantic stamina bar. The upside is that tricking a weapon mid-combo is far more useful here.

They really don't. They're just a new flavor of lightning-fast R1 spam with differing ranges, with the heavy attack being occasionally good for spacing and control. You can trick a weapon into something like a claymore, but it doesn't function the same as it would in DS3, much less DS1 (with better poise). Honestly you're just gimping yourself if you go two-handed though. Granted, I've read that Old Hunters fixed this issue to an extent. The move-sets in weapons and the nuances of weapons with similar move-sets simply matters more in other Souls games. Outside of beast-mode, BB also lacks armor-to-weapon synergy, where shields and weight, to an extent, determine which weapons are worth carrying.

Your complaint about a lack of combat variety and weapon variety is rendered obsolete with The Old Hunters. It adds some of the most creative weapons out of the entire series with unique movesets to go with them.

dlauv

My Arc/Bld tinge/ Str builds play nothing like each other. I wont argue variety in builds isn't lacking because it is, but to say that whats there plays nearly the same is only true if you haven't done a great job of really building a build that fully takes advantage of those classes.

Can you show me any video examples where the main difference in PVE isn't shooting a bit more and using a specialty katana, or R1ing with the electric mace while conserving nukes for bosses? I have seen some clever stuff with Arcane in PVP, but it doesn't really have the legs, to my knowledge, to make PVE anything too much more interesting.

They really do. 2 handed in most weapon forms gives you a huge damage boost that in no way gimps you-its knowing when to use it in 2 hand and when to stick with one hand + gun. A ton of weapons gain an entire additional category of scaling in 2 hand mode that significantly buffs the damage output.

That's true and an oversight on my part, but I did it about as much as I did a heavy attack. Likewise, could you show me any video examples of a player frequenting two-handed to get a remarkable edge on PVE? I'm aware of its potential in PVP.

Your complaint about a lack of combat variety and weapon variety is rendered obsolete with The Old Hunters. It adds some of the most creative weapons out of the entire series with unique movesets to go with them.

Do I have to beat the base game again to get to it?

You can only get one blood rock per game (2 counting dlc), so you have to do multiple playthroughs to even make other weapons as good as your main one.
Unless you want to grind the shitty challice dungeons?

…Oh, you, I’m afraid, I’ve made a botch of things…
…I can hear the bell, now…
…The beast-hide assassin, he’s after me…
…Again and again…
…It never ends…
…Please, I need you to do something…
…This village is the true secret.
Testament to the old sins…
…It feeds this Hunter’s Nightmare…
…Please, bring to an end to the horror…
…So our forefathers sinned?
…We hunters cannot bear their weight forever…
…It isn’t fair, it just isn’t fair…

GLAMr

You can only get one blood rock per game (2 counting dlc), so you have to do multiple playthroughs to even make other weapons as good as your main one.
Unless you want to grind the shitty challice dungeons?
You can also buy then from the Insight fountain for 60 insight now... Which would pretty much require a play through per rock.

Without a doubt the most cohesive and free of fat Souls game ever. Every single thing in the game just fits with the theme/setting/story/gameplay they were going for. I can only pray that FROM's next game is half as well designed.

Bronetta

Do I have to beat the base game again to get to it?

DLC can be accessed after Vicar Amelia but its end game level content. Easily the hardest enemies and bosses in the game.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate some of the game's dialogue/writing. Some of my very favorite quotes from the game.

"Hunters have told me about the church. About the gods, and their love. But... do the gods love their creations? I am a doll, created by you humans. Would you ever think to love me? Of course... I do love you. Isn't that how you've made me?" - Doll

"The manifestation of madness comes from a mind teetering on the very brink, but has a sane mind ever produced anything of true significance?" - Frenzied Coldblood

"A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea; Accepting of all that there is, and can be."

"Shrouded by night, but with steady stride. Colored by blood, but always clear of mind. Proud hunter of the church. Beasts are a curse, and a curse is a shackle. Only ye are the true blades of the church." - Old Hunter Yamamura

"The sky and the cosmos are one."

”We fail to realize our own latent potential, until the moment it is lost, and we sense its absence. Ironically, this is the very nature of insight, like the moment one licks one's own blood, only to be startled by its sweetness." - Brain Fluid

"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good." - Logarius

In the context of the game/Lovecraft, and really in general there's some pretty decent writing in BB.

Teeth

Beast hunter or beast within?

With headphones on, a lot of ambient sounds and dialogue is brought to the forefront. The Yharnamites are inflicted and turning into beasts. Upon defeat their dementia becomes apparent when they cry out "damn beast'. They think it is the player Hunter who is a beast, a sign of dementia brought on by their affliction.

They aren't calling you a beast out of dementia, you, like them and anyone who has taken blood, are on their way to becoming beasts.

That's the tragedy of it all. Everyone who uses blood ministration to heal wounds/diseases starts becoming beasts, which necessitates the hunters, who inevitably need more blood ministration to heal the wounds from hunting beasts, which hastens their way to becoming beasts.

You can see the progression in the enemies; the Yarnhamites get scraggly hair and greying wrinkled skin. Old Yarnham beasts are the next step, with the more full fur and beast-like features. Next, they transform into the werewolves, firstly the crawling type, then the more advanced standing type like the Abhorrent Beast. With continued ministrations, they will live well into their skeletal form (like Darkbeast Paarl). It's a really cool little ecosystem they built.

Top Bottom