• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Bloodborne - The masterpiece

hydruxo

I still need to beat it sometime. I think I got to the Shadows of Yharnam before I stopped playing. I could never get into Dark Souls but I really enjoyed what I played of BB.

Raptor

Anyone who finished Bloodborne and enjoyed it even remotely, you absolutely have to play The Old Hunters. It has some of the best bosses in the entire series.

Old Hunters also adds so many unique weapons which break away from the traditional Souls weapons. Over 10 weapons and each ones more unique than the last. The brilliance of transforming into a beast or an alien thing is a sight to behold.

beast_transformation-bloodborne_small.jpg

zJSzVJ.gif

This is what has me really excited for From Software's next title. Instead of equipping weapons, it could be transforming into different creatures. It would be the perfect evolution of their combat system while still keeping a familiar rhythm.

I have a Beast Claws build but I just cant deal with the constant "SSSSSS" sound, I dont know what the hell was From thinking with having that sound be constant like that.

I had to lower the volume, but other than that is maybe my second favorite build, it just melt everything.

Danny-Boy

In my top 3 games of all time with Metal Gear Solid 3 and Ocarina of Time. An absolute masterpiece. I'll never forget my first play through. A game like this comes around only once or twice a generation.

le.phat

Best game of the generation, only challenged by nieR automata. Best souls setting and gameplay for sure, although the game failed to reach the heights of demon souls for me.

Hardest boss to master? Has to be the bloodletting beast for me.

Melchiah

Ah, I see. The post you responded to had quotes of you responding to multiple people so that confused me. Sorry about that!

And yeah, I get that many players never run into the blood vial problem, but I did run into it, and it wasn't fun. I find that a lot of people that never run into the problem can be very dismissive about other people who DO have the problem, which honestly kinda annoys me. Just because you never run into it doesn't make the complaint invalid for people that did. (not saying that you are one of those people, just a general thing I run into in bloodborne threads).

I will give you that the separate healing button is a nice improvement, even though panicking during a boss fight and accidentally throwing the "hello" voice stone instead of drinking my estus flask does have a weird hilarious charm to it :)

No problem.

I can see the vial supply being a problem before the stock limit was increased, but I don't think it was an issue afterwards. Unless you spend most of the spare echoes on something else, like buying all the gear and weapons. Those would be better to buy later on, when you reach areas like Mergo's Middle Loft, that grant you ~100k echoes in 3-4 minutes with three Moon runes equipped.

The lack of separate healing button was the reason why I didn't use any items during the DS3 battles. It was just cumbersome to switch back to the healing item, when an enemy was attacking you. I also never learned how to parry there, so the faster and more aggressive enemies were much harder for me than they were in BB. It didn't really help, that you got so few souls even in the late locations, that it was practically impossible to overlevel your character. Whereas my BB veteran sits at level 230, after NG+, DLC and chalices. So, for a newcomer like me, BB was much less frustrating experience, eventhough it had a plenty of rage-inducing moments as well. =)

Also, I have to say: when I first did the Chalice Dungeons, I started them late game, so I was going through them quickly and was underwhelmed.

But when you do the dungeons as you progress through Bloodborne, they're a hell of a good time. There are so many of them and so many bosses, some which are different versions of ones you've played, but most being new bosses, and many of them being a ton of fun. And then some of them, like Bloodletting Beast, have different versions. The headless one, for example, has a new form in the last third of the match.

Getting cooperators to fight those guys is a blast, not to mention just getting them to go through the dungeons, which give some awesome gems as well. Add the Old Hunters cooperators, and it's just a ball. I started a new game and did some areas, but I'm having a blast just going through other dungeons right now (Lower Loran and then probably the Root versions of the last one and Isz) and also helping people out in other ones.

Melchiah

Also, I have to say: when I first did the Chalice Dungeons, I started them late game, so I was going through them quickly and was underwhelmed.

But when you do the dungeons as you progress through Bloodborne, they're a hell of a good time. There are so many of them and so many bosses, some which are different versions of ones you've played, but most being new bosses, and many of them being a ton of fun. And then some of them, like Bloodletting Beast, have different versions. The headless one, for example, has a new form in the last third of the match.

Getting cooperators to fight those guys is a blast, not to mention just getting them to go through the dungeons, which give some awesome gems as well. Add the Old Hunters cooperators, and it's just a ball. I started a new game and did some areas, but I'm having a blast just going through other dungeons right now (Lower Loran and then probably the Root versions of the last one and Isz) and also helping people out in other ones.

Agreed. Although, I did most of them after completing the main game. I spread them across three months, instead of exhausting myself by trying to grind them through as fast as possible. That's a sure way to make them feel as tedious as possible.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No problem.

I can see the vial supply being a problem before the stock limit was increased, but I don't think it was an issue afterwards. Unless you spend most of the spare echoes on something else, like buying all the gear and weapons. Those would be better to buy later on, when you reach areas like Mergo's Middle Loft, that grant you ~100k echoes in 3-4 minutes with three Moon runes equipped.

To add to the Blood Vial vs Estus Flask discussion:

You have a set amount of estus flasks (which can be increased of course). These restore a set amount of health everytime. If you take damage, you're stuck with it. Take enough damage and run out of flasks, you eventually have to go back to a bonfire no matter what. There's some equipment like rings that can regenerate HP when attacking enemies but the effect isn't profound.

On the other hand in Bloodborne, you get 20 blood vials off the bat. The rally mechanic is a huge part of the combat and healing system. As soon as you take damage, its possible to regain most if not all of it by attacking back. So, even though blood vials are consumables, there is already an innate ability to recover most of your health when attacked built into the combat. On top of that, most enemies drop blood vials so its not just the 20 vials you spawned with, they'll be replenished as you cleanse the streets of Yharnam. Leftover blood echoes can be used to stockpile Blood Vials after leveling up and upgrading in the Hunter's Dream.

Of course the blood vial system can become an issue if you hit a wall against a boss and start burning through your supply. My personal opinion and you are more than welcome to disagree is that if you're stuck on a boss to the extent that you're running out of all your blood vials, its a good idea to take a lil break to grab some blood vials.

One run of Central Yharnam to Great Bridge lantern using the shortcut takes a couple mins and nets you 8-10 vials as well as enough echoes to buy several more from the shop. Does it suck? Sure but its a good way to recuperate from the boss fight, to calm down and collect in between while yourself and strategize a new plan of attack.

Ferr986

Anyone who finished Bloodborne and enjoyed it even remotely, you absolutely have to play The Old Hunters. It has some of the best bosses in the entire series.

Old Hunters also adds so many unique weapons which break away from the traditional Souls weapons. Over 10 weapons and each ones more unique than the last. The brilliance of transforming into a beast or an alien thing is a sight to behold.

beast_transformation-bloodborne_small.jpg

zJSzVJ.gif

This is what has me really excited for From Software's next title. Instead of equipping weapons, it could be transforming into different creatures. It would be the perfect evolution of their combat system while still keeping a familiar rhythm.

This reminds me I never did a "Kin" build. It just looks to weird to me lol

elchebib

Awesome game and one of the best this gen. Just finished the Old Hunter's DLC recently and the overall journey in this game was brilliant and thrilling. Every enemy encounter is exciting and keeps you on your toes all the time. It encourages aggressive play style since you don't have shield to block damage.

Loved every moment of it and can't wait for another Bloodborne

To add to the Blood Vial vs Estus Flask discussion:

You have a set amount of estus flasks (which can be increased of course). These restore a set amount of health everytime. If you take damage, you're stuck with it. Take enough damage and run out of flasks, you eventually have to go back to a bonfire no matter what. There's some equipment like rings that can regenerate HP when attacking enemies but the effect isn't profound.

On the other hand in Bloodborne, you get 20 blood vials off the bat. The rally mechanic is a huge part of the combat and healing system. As soon as you take damage, its possible to regain most if not all of it by attacking back. So, even though blood vials are consumables, there is already an innate ability to recover most of your health when attacked built into the combat. On top of that, most enemies drop blood vials so its not just the 20 vials you spawned with, they'll be replenished as you cleanse the streets of Yharnam. Leftover blood echoes can be used to stockpile Blood Vials after leveling up and upgrading in the Hunter's Dream.

Of course the blood vial system can become an issue if you hit a wall against a boss and start burning through your supply. My personal opinion and you are more than welcome to disagree is that if you're stuck on a boss to the extent that you're running out of all your blood vials, its a good idea to take a lil break to grab some blood vials.

One run of Central Yharnam to Great Bridge lantern using the shortcut takes a couple mins and nets you 8-10 vials as well as enough echoes to buy several more from the shop. Does it suck? Sure but its a good way to recuperate from the boss fight, to calm down and collect in between while yourself and strategize a new plan of attack.

On top of the rally potential, I have a rune on my current playthrough that gives hundreds of points of HP when you do a visceral attack. While I like the Estus Flask, I know it can be improved, and I also know that Bloodborne gives you more ways than blood vials to regain health. tbh, despite liking the Flask, I preferred BB overall due to the amount of times you can get blood vials (increasing discovery also makes them drop a lot) and the amount of ways you can regain health. If there ever is another Bloodborne, perhaps there's an improved Flask they can put into the game to go with their rally/visceral attack system and give the best of both worlds. Who knows?

Definitely my game of this generation, and it's up there for my all time favorite. SO good.
Same.

The longer it's been since it came out the more I appreciate it. The hipster in me wants to say Demons Souls is better but they're both masterpieces!

Toxi

Banned
Abhorrent beast has to be the hardest one for me though. It's so aggressive you're basically forced into approaching it in one or two ways that guarantees a defensive fight that lasts 5-8 minutes.
I've never had a problem with Abhorrent Beast. Just remember that he punishes your healing by charging you and stick to his back like glue.

red_sparrow

Neo Member
One of my favorite games ever and definitely the best PS4 game imo.

Best PS4 exclusive, and one of the best games of the generation. Possibly of all time.

Can't wait for the sequel announcement at E3.
Japan Studio developed.

One can hope and dream... *sigh*

Vae_Victis

Banned
In regards to the Vilebloods being vampires and their thematic inspiration, just in from the datamining community:

(There is about 1 minute of unrelated channel updates at the start)

Top Bottom