• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roughly, how much have subscription services 'saved' you?

Have sub services saved you money on games?

• None or Negligible

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • I have saved a moderate amount on games

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I have saved a significant amount on games

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • I have no subscriptions

Votes: 29 16.9%

• Total voters

Jaxcellent

I only have PSplus... It's giving me so many games, its hard to keep up and play them all... what I like is the quality of the games. As a long time player I have a huge catalog of X360 games so gamepass isn't that enticing for me, the games I like I already own on PS4/Plus or 360 disc.

When microsoft will start releasing some new games on a regular basis, this could change my tune.

I mean I’ve definitely played far more videogames than I ever would have without gamepass ops+\now - so you could say hundreds - but I doubt I would’ve bought any of them or given them a shot before.

And on another note - no I do not buy the games if I like them I’ve never heard of that.

Probably nothing, The games I want are new and I buy them anyway. This may change with gamepass in the future but I havent seen any benefit yet. On the xsx the only thing I play is Forza horizon and I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway so that doesnt mean anything.

sainraja

Curious as we seem to have versus threads all the times, but just want to see what value people place on these services. These discounts can come in the form of:

PSNow
GamePass
Discounts for PS+ members
Discounts for GamePass subscribers
PS+ Collection
PS+ Instant Game Collection
Amazon Prime Benefits (usually in-game currency, redeemable items)

Not really interested in splitting hairs to cause arguments just over say the last five years how much have you gained? Let's have a positive thread on how much money we actually save!
Most of the stuff on game pass right now is stuff I have already purchased in the past (when game pass wasn't around or when I didn't have game pass - I joined it pretty early on; once via the $1 promo and second time via converting 3 years of gold into Ultimate, and now most recently it got extended via the XSX bundle deal.) I don't think game pass or the other services will ever prevent me from buying a game if I am interested in the title. For me, game pass, ps plus, etc are only for things that I otherwise wouldn't try. Right now even on that front, I haven't done anything since mostly playing Destiny 2 and now Miles along with it.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Not much. In the past if I wanted a game I just bought it when it released. I stopped this habit and now I'm tackling my backlog of switch and ps4 games, gave up on the all the other generations and sold them all last year. Now if I was an xbox gamer I can understand gamepass saving me money but I barely even touch my xbox.

Astral Dog

I love my subscriptions on movies/TV, lots of shows i wouldn't have watched or finished otherwise, some that became favorites :^)
Games i rarely use a subscription and refuse to pay for online multiplayer, can't comment on GamePass as i don't have an Xbox, may get one in the future.👍

Subscription for music i find very very annoying however,paying monthly for the privilege of listening to my favorite song is disgusting ,they are removing options for just paying and keeping albums chosing when to listen, so no songs if i don't pay monthly :^(
I mean the option is fine, but when they push a subscription service instead of an online store ,having both options would be best im worried about books too, whats next pay a subscription but can't even pick my favorite books to keep?

dalekjay

My two year game pass subscription was paid in 2 months of gaming easily, but if you factor that I wouldn’t be playing that much without it, if just factor my “must plays” less than 4 months anyway
Buy one by one I often don’t have what to play because I don’t have backlog, but now since it’s everything already there every time I don’t have any wish in particular I play a random game I wouldn’t buy, and got lots of good surprises

so subscriptions is really paying it off, also I may add that I don’t replay even my most beloved single player games so, I will be on gamepass for long time

Last edited:

Rayderism

I don't think they save me any kind of significant amount. Any "savings" is offset by the subscription fee itself.

Gamepass hasn’t saved me much, probably the opposite. It essentially causes me to spend $60 every 4 months on games I likely never would have purchased or for nowhere near full price for.

It can be fun to try games out, but I don’t think there is a single gamepass game I would have bought for $60. Once it hits $20 a month I’m dropping it for a while.

NewYork214

Nothing in terms of my psnow or gamepass(while I had it for pc) cause I wouldn't have bought the games I played.

But a decent amount on ps plus sales

Last edited:
I saved enough to pay off my mortgage and my car. If anything I'd say I've probably made money by using subscription services. Get yours today!

Rathalos

Banned
A decent amount with Gamepass, if a new game comes out I'll sub for a month, which is a lot cheaper than buying it.

This is kind of like asking how much have you saved on DVDs from having Netflix. It’s a different kind of consumption so you can’t directly compare.

Last edited:

sainraja

I love my subscriptions on movies/TV, lots of shows i wouldn't have watched or finished otherwise, some that became favorites :^)
Games i rarely use a subscription and refuse to pay for online multiplayer, can't comment on GamePass as i don't have an Xbox, may get one in the future.👍

Subscription for music i find very very annoying however,paying monthly for the privilege of listening to my favorite song is disgusting ,they are removing options for just paying and keeping albums chosing when to listen, so no songs if i don't pay monthly :^(
I mean the option is fine, but when they push a subscription service instead of an online store ,having both options would be best im worried about books too, whats next pay a subscription but can't even pick my favorite books to keep?
You can still buy songs but I came across a scenario (hope it's not my own confusion as to where I got the song originally) where the song I purchased I was no longer able to download because it was moved to Amazon Music (for whatever reason) for the U.S region and on Apple Music it started to show me 'not available in your region'.

PhoenixTank

Humble Monthly & Twitch have offered me a lot if those are being included. A small handful of those are games I would have bought otherwise and I skip most months of Humble.

Last edited:
So I'll only do Game Pass because Gold/PS+ would be annoying to try and find, and if it wasn't for Netflix/Hulu etc. I just wouldn't watch TV, wouldn't save me money

Games I played via Game Pass that I 100% would've bought eventually (most within a few months of launch) if it weren't for Game Pass:

Undertale
Yooka-Laylee and the impossible Lair
Tell Me Why
Forza Horizon 4
Devil May Cry 5
Life is Strange 2
Gears 5
Rage 2
Metro Exodus
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
The Outer Worlds
Crackdown 3

Games I might not have played without Game Pass:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Sea of Thieves
Untitled Goose Game
Human Fall Flat
My Friend Pedro
Guacamelee 2

Games that I bought but were in Game Pass by the time I played them:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Vampyr
Just Cause 4
Nier: Automata

I started in June of 2019 with the $1 3 year conversion (and have since added months via microsoft rewards) but even if we treat this as paying $15/month, at 22 months that would be $330 I still think I come out significantly ahead simply in the games I would've bought, let alone the added enjoyment I got from games I wouldn't have bought, or the future savings I'll get for not buying games I won't play for a while.

And this is especially true considering I already consider gold to be worth at least $5 a month, so I don't really even consider it as me spending $15/month on Game Pass, which further lowers the threshold where I save money, and this is also during the "dark ages" of xbox first party, so the fact I still am saving money on this now is great news for when they start putting out way more games I want to play in the next few years.

All in all I'd say subscription services are probably saving me a significant amount of money

Astral Dog

You can still buy songs but I came across a scenario (hope it's not my own confusion as to where I got the song originally) where the song I purchased I was no longer able to download because it was moved to Amazon Music (for whatever reason) for the U.S region and on Apple Music it started to show me 'not available in your region'.
Yeah it sucks, here Amazon music just doesn't work because there is no option to 'buy' albums, and the other digital stores like Google were closed for pure subscription services

I keep paying more as a matter of convenience - so I can just pick up and play/watch whenever - rather than to save money. Ultimately, I think I save very little to none at all depending on the service. Edit: Prime is probably the only one that likely saves me any money due to all the things that come bundled with it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

In terms of money, nothing. I buy the games I want to play long before they hit subs. But have discovered games I would never have played otherwise.

I'm not sure I have saved a ton of money since I am a patient gamer, and don't pay that much when I do buy games. I have played some games much sooner than I normally would have, like Outer Worlds or Gears 5. What has changed though is I am far more willing to try games. There are so many games that I likely would not have purchased that I have tried and ended up loving. Games like The Outer Wilds, The Touryst, Mutant Year Zero, Descenders, etc....

Haggard

Banned
Zero
The games I play usually either don't show up in any subscription service at all or are timed or only show up when they're already rather old news.

Game Pass has saved me hundreds of dollars if not almost in the multiple thousands at this point. I am an impulse buyer too.

Top Bottom