• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rosario Dawson gets a promotion, going from nurse to doctor in "New Mutants."

THR has the scoop.
The actress, who already plays a key role in Netflix's Marvel shows ranging from Daredevil to Luke Cage, is in negotiations to join the cast of Fox's Marvel movie franchise, the X-Men spinoff New Mutants.

The Witch and Split star Anya Taylor-Joy and Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams are already signed up for the ensemble young-adult superhero movie being directed by Josh Boone.

Dawson will play Dr. Cecilia Reyes, a medical doctor who has the ability to generate a protective bio-field around herself. The character assumes a mentor role for the group of fledgling heroes. (Last year, speculation surfaced that James McAvoy would return as mentor Professor X and that Alexandra Shipp would return as mentor figure Storm, but those characters are not in the script, according to sources, and the actors are not slated to appear in the movie.)

Taylor-Joy is playing Illyana Rasputin, code-named Magik, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. Williams is Rahne Sinclair, aka Wolfsbane, a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.

The X-Men spinoff will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens dealing with their newfound powers.

The movie is headed toward an early July start with a script by Boone and his writing partner, Knate Lee. Simon Kinberg and Karen Rosenfelt are producing. New Mutants has a release date of April 13, 2018.

J_Viper

Her role on Netflix Marvel shows is such a waste of her talent. Hopefully she'll have more to do here.

And it's too bad Storm's not in this, since I liked her in Apoc, but maybe she'll be in Dark Phoenix.

Corpekata

Banned
"a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf."

Will never stop sounding funny to me.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Her role on Netflix Marvel shows is such a waste of her talent. Hopefully she'll have more to do here.

And it's too bad Storm's not in this, since I liked her in Apoc, but maybe she'll be in Dark Phoenix.
She gets to tell all the Defenders that they're being fucking idiots. That's not the worst role for her.

Or she was never in.

I think both of them were supposed to be in. I know the article cites "speculation" but I remember hearing someone solid state that was the direction they were pursuing. Could be that McAvoy didn't wanna do it, or Fox doesn't wanna have to pay him to do it, and so the film developed without those two ties to Apocalypse.

Ah well.

Blader

They cut Storm?

That sucks.

Assuming she and Xavier were ever in the movie at all, I wonder if the decision to schedule both this and Dark Phoenix in the same year forced them to remove them from New Mutants, since the two movies will (presumably) be shooting pretty close to each other.

Matty77

I was hyped but with the description in the other thread and now adding Cecelia as a mentor, no matter what assurances they give this isn't going to resemble the comics at all is it.

I'll stay cautiously optimistic but my interest is waning.

Assuming she and Xavier were ever in the movie at all, I wonder if the decision to schedule both this and Dark Phoenix in the same year forced them to remove them from New Mutants, since the two movies will (presumably) be shooting pretty close to each other.

that's a pretty good point too, yeah.

She went from leading role in a Danny Boyle movie to this?

That Danny Boyle movie wasn't seen by many people, or thought of as being a decent film in general.

Hydrus

I thought because of all the licensing bullshit, she can't be in both Netflix and Fox universes?

Edit: Nevermind, she's playing someone else.

Never in my life did I think we'd get an on-screen Cecilia Reyes, now we just a need Maggot to complete the set!

Oh no, the set isn't complete quite yet. You're forgetting somebody...

marrow+9.jpg

Edit: Oh wow, she was in Deadpool? Somehow I missed it!

Matsukaze

"a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf."

Will never stop sounding funny to me.
Quite a few struggles in Rahne's life.

Shapeshifting wolf girl.

Having a (brief) relationship with a minor, who was also a student of hers, because she was so stunted growing up

Eating her own father

Getting knocked up by a wolf god-spirit, and then abandoning the baby

BigDug13

I'm sure it's a nice paycheck for a few scenes of work though.

Top Bottom