• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mutants Movie Art Shows Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

c4ccrvhuoaeyffw6srns.jpg

“X-Men: The New Mutants” director Josh Boone has debuted concept art depicting “Game of Thrones” star Maisie Williams as the Marvel Comics character Wolfsbane.

Although the illustration by Ashley Guillory, who produced the storyboard animatic revealed in November, falls short of casting confirmation, it certainly indicates the filmmakers imagine Williams in the role of Rahne Sinclar, a young Scottish mutant who can shape-shift into a wolf.

That’s no surprise, given that the 19-year-old actress has been rumored to play Wolfsbane since at least March. Although an early report of her casting was swiftly denied by Fox, Williams made it clear she was open to the role.

“I can’t say much about it at all, but I would absolutely love to be a part of it, [and] to be a part of the Marvel family,” Williams said in April. “‘New Mutants’ looks absolutely incredible and I’ve always loved the idea of spin-offs and [director] Joshua Boone is incredibly talented. So, yeah, sign me up.”

Boone (“The Fault of Our Stars”) has indicated the film is inspired by the classic “New Mutants” storyline “The Demon Bear Saga,” by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz, in which Professor Xavier’s young students must band together to save their teammate Dani Moonstar (Mirage), and themselves, from the enormous demonic bear that had killed her parents and stalked her.

“It was really dark, interesting,” Boone recalled of the original story, “and different from the typical X-Men stories that we had read.”

The film is expected to feature Mirage, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Cannonball, Magik and Warlock, and is rumored to feature an appearance by James McAvoy as Charles Xavier.

Introduced with the rest of the original New Mutants in 1982, Rahne Sinclair is an orphan raised by an abusive minister (who turned out to be her biological father), before being rescued and adopted by Moira MacTaggert. While a student at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters, Rahne eventually learned to overcome the emotional baggage from her repressive upbringing, and forged friendships — and even a romantic relationship — with her equally unusual classmates. Over the years, she’s become a fixture of Marvel’s mutant universe, serving as a member of X-Force, X-Factor Investigations and Excalibur, and was even an instructor at Xavier’s Academy.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Boone (“The Fault of Our Stars”) has indicated the film is inspired by the classic “New Mutants” storyline “The Demon Bear Saga,” by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz, in which Professor Xavier’s young students must band together to save their teammate Dani Moonstar (Mirage), and themselves, from the enormous demonic bear that had killed her parents and stalked her.

giphy.gif

I thought she had already been confirmed for that role a while ago, I guess not.
Not gonna pass judgement based on concept art and I'm not too familiar with Rahne anyway. But I look forward to the movie, 2017 is starting out well for the mutants with Legion and Logan will hopefully deliver as well.

Director shares fan art and the internet applies enough spin to pretend it's concept art.

Classic.

Exactly.

When ComicBookMovie of all sites seems to be rational about the art, you know something is weird.

Now, we should probably caution that there's nothing to say this is official concept art for the movie, but Guillory is clearly involved, so it's certainly isn't just some fan-art!

The movie is still in the very early stages of production, though, so this isn't necessarily how Wolfsbane will look when all is said and done. It could just be that the artist came up with her take, and Boone liked it enough to share it online.

But, they do jump to the conclusion that the artist is involved, even though there is nothing other than the "leaked" animatic and this piece of art to corroborate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom