• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams Set to Star in 'X-Men' Spinoff 'New Mutants'

The ultimate question, will Magik's mutant power be her powers as a demonic sorceress or just her portals like the comics?

Ahhh yes, the non Deadpool X universe will come to define 'middle of the road' in every possible way.

Who is this for? The last McAvoy lead X film didn't exactly set the world alight and now Fox are doubling down on it probably at great expense.

If there is indeed a comic book film bubble it's going to be stuff like this and that Venom film from Sony that bursts it.

What? Almost every Marvel movie outside of Winter Soldier and the original Iron Man (and GOTG I guess, not a huge fan) is "middle of the road." And we actually haven't had any teen group superhero movies yet outside of Apocalypse which was colossal wasted opportunity. And this film sounds to be tackling some weird shit.

The ultimate question, will Magik's mutant power be her powers as a demonic sorceress or just her portals like the comics?

What? Almost every Marvel movie outside of Winter Soldier and the original Iron Man (and GOTG I guess, not a huge fan) is "middle of the road." And we actually haven't had any teen group superhero movies yet outside of Apocalypse which was colossal wasted opportunity. And this film sounds to be tackling some weird shit.

I'll be disappointed if they gloss over her extradimensional hellish upbringing

An X-Men movie with a parallel to the Trump administration would be damn poignant right now.

With Fox running the show, I don't know how much sway its top executives have on the movie division.

Love Ana Taylor Joy. Can't say I'm excited about this movie or anything but she is great

A reunion with mcavoy too will be dope.

Great casting.
I really hope they know how to handle Magik's origins and her relationship with Colossus (who appeared like 20 to 30 years in the future)

Kayhan

Anybody unsure why the casting of Anya Taylor-Joy is such great news need to go see The VVitch aka the only recent horror movie worth a damn.

You too will be craving that butter and wanting to live life deliciously.

In the last few years it's anything not made with Bryan Singer's involvement (after DOFP) that's proven to be hugely successful. It seems like Fox is slowly but surely letting people run with the franchise in more varied directions (Deadpool, Logan) than rely on the same core teams, stories, and aesthetic.

Yup, and that's what I'm most anticipating about this film. After Logan & Deadpool, I definitely have faith that Fox will deliver something different. Very excited!

Cypher's power doesn't make for flashy scenes, and they weren't Douglocking at that point

Literally the most important relationship Warlock had was with Doug... It's just such a shame.

Doug is the best :( Doug/Warlock friendship is one of Marvel's best buddy duo

I hope Anya Taylor-Joy plays Magik with her natural accent.

Because her American accent is TERRIBLE!

I mean Magik is Russian... Illyana Rasputin

Ahhh yes, the non Deadpool X universe will come to define 'middle of the road' in every possible way.

Who is this for? The last McAvoy lead X film didn't exactly set the world alight and now Fox are doubling down on it probably at great expense.

If there is indeed a comic book film bubble it's going to be stuff like this and that Venom film from Sony that bursts it.

New Mutants are bloody awesome source material to work from.

Slayven

Cypher's power doesn't make for flashy scenes, and they weren't Douglocking at that point
1289751-cypher___cannonball_magik_sunspot_1.jpg

991947-1255556153b.jpg

Doug go bars

Doug go bars

Combat as body language was a brilliant way to boost Doug's abilities into Comic Book usefulness (Doug's powers are arguably the most useful by real world standards)

I'm hoping Doug is there but they just don't think he's worth mentioning in the press releases

Is this supposed to be the present or the past?

I can't keep up anymore lol

Combat as a body language is actually some next level

It's after his resurrection yeah... but they could have included it from the get go in the movie...

Combat as body language is comic book genius

Doug Ramsey is the best...

There are so many things you could do with him in a movie...

That feeling of not having a cool/flashy power, his teammates holding him back because they think his powers aren't useful in a fight, and then him learning about all the incredible things he could do ala that image, ala the combat as body language.

The character growth and story potential for him are fantastic but they're just going to ignore it because they can't look past the intial impression of his powers not being cool/flashy.

Briarios

When I saw Maisie Williams, I was like -- "Maisie Williams?! Really? Well, I mean, if she was playing Wolfsbane, then that's great casting, but anyone else ... oh. She is? Nice."

Top Bottom