• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

I hope Unprofessional Fridays starts with a fade in on Jeff holding glass of wine and him nibbling on some fancy cheese. That or him having two 40s taped to his hands. Either will be fine.
who needs that when we have this

2697543-4947168416-Discr.gif

While Jeff is well within his rights to score a game as he feels fit, I do think this possibly highlights the problems with a rating out of five. It is too restrictive.

A rating 1-10 is perfect.

Eh. It's pretty easy.

1 = Hated it.
2 = Disliked it.
3 = It was ok.
4 = Liked it
5 = Loved it.

It's not like you need much else when you've got your review text to go into the details.

I like Jeff a lot but I sort of hate how he purposely says crap to rile folks up and it would not be so bad if it was not the people that love listening him he is trying to get riled up. We fucking made you Gerstmann, you better fucking appreciate us...

Quoting this for the new page

Mahonay

Banned
Jeff can easily acquire an AK. I wouldn't mess with him. He's an dangerous, unhinged man. Well-connected. He knows doctors, best-selling authors, professional DOTA 2 players. I'd stay away.
585639-gman.png

There's not a whole lot you really need to say about this Rooster Teeth stuff. It's hilarious entirely on it's own. Christ are they ever not self aware.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I would be surprised if this acknowledged at all. Not out of spite but because this is probably nothing new to him.

Yea, that's most likely what will happen. They usually tend to ignore this kind of internet drama until things get way out of hand and then Jeff has to do a Letter from the Editor telling everyone to calm the hell down.

who needs that when we have this

2697543-4947168416-Discr.gif

Ha! God that cracks me up every time I see it :)

FHIZ

While Jeff is well within his rights to score a game as he feels fit, I do think this possibly highlights the problems with a rating out of five. It is too restrictive.

1-10 has too much wasted space.

In the grand scheme of things, what's the difference between a game given a 2 or a 3 or a 4 out of 10? All those basically say "it's shit" and shit is shit.

c0Zm1c

I prefer 5 because it's more decisive, though I don't think it matters.

Decades of inflated review scores has shifted where we view the average to be and that is the real problem with any point system, be it 5, 10 or a percentage. It's the reason why Eurogamer replaced its 10 point system with something much simpler and clearer - putting an end to the obligation to abuse high scores so as not to be seen to be reviewing games 'low' when they awarded games anything below an 8 (even 8 was beginning to be seen as low by some) - and it's also the reason why Rooster Teeth here sees 3/5 as a low score when technically it's not.

Mahonay

Banned
I like Jeff a lot but I sort of hate how he purposely says crap to rile folks up and it would not be so bad if it was not the people that love listening him he is trying to get riled up. We fucking made you Gerstmann, you better fucking appreciate us...
Wait, what?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What are you getting at besides a false equivalence?

It feels you are trying to dig for something that is not truly there. I will explain more what I meant below.

I don't really understand your point. Her modelling job is separate from her job at Rooster Teeth, so why does it matter? It's not hypocritical.

And I say the majority in here didn't know who she was before this thread.

She did not start off in a modeling job. She started off posting herself in underwear on her own accord via Instagram, etc. She was using the trope of almost naked gamer nerd girl, to exploit the sexual hormones in the stereotypical male gamer to help boost her fame.

Nothing wrong with that for her, it is modeling after-all, but ironic she will bash someone else for wanting to exploit clicks (which is not the truth). Just because she is now a "model", does not excuse exploitation of certain demographics to get there. The exploitation of a means to get the "clicks" is what was hypocritical. Not all exploitation is bad. I am using this definition [2. the action of making use of and benefiting from resources.].

I will find it hard to believe, she did not exploit that "almost naked nerd girl" angle for clicks. So why throw dirt if you assume Jeff exploited a rage angle for clicks?

If I am wrong in this, and my mind is looking at this wrong? If so, please explain to me where I am wrong, other than, "she is a model tho", well because it would then be, "Jeff is a reviewer tho". I am always open to learning new things about other perspectives, and myself.

The 5 star system is perfect. It captures every discrete qualitative description - strongly dislike, dislike, Ok, like, strongly like.

There's a reason you don't use a 10-point scale when you take an opinion survey.

I feel that what Rooster Teeth is saying is damn near irresponsible.

Fallout 4 is broken on consoles. Bethesda released a shoddy product. You don't just ignore that kind of thing.

I feel that more reviews should have called Bethesda out on this. Sure, it would still sell like crazy, but any amount of attention that can be given to its problems is potentially good for users.

The Witcher 3 received some attention for its technical issues and CDPR has worked hard to address many of them. It's still not perfect, but the performance is a far cry from what we had at launch. It's a better game now.

What exactly don't you agree with?

He gave the GAME four stars. One of those stars was removed from the console score in order to reflect that they are technically deficient. That's not really a matter of opinion either as we have plenty of hard proof demonstrating this.

Fallout 4 is the least polished console game available on PS4 and Xbox One. There is no other game on these platforms with frame-rate issues this severe. This is THE SINGLE WORST PERFORMING GAME on these platforms. How can you ignore that?

Fallout 4 is the least polished console game available on PS4 and Xbox One. There is no other game on these platforms with frame-rate issues this severe. This is THE SINGLE WORST PERFORMING GAME on these platforms. How can you ignore that?
I don't think that is true. There are a lot of areas where the game holds a relatively solid 30fps on consoles; someone could literally play for hours at 30fps. Sure there are areas with really bad performance, but the game is not a consistently bad performer, rather it is an inconsistent performer.

I don't think that is true. There are a lot of areas where the game holds a relatively solid 30fps on consoles; someone could literally play for hours at 30fps. Sure there are areas with really bad performance, but the game is not a consistently bad performer, rather it is an inconsistent performer.

You are replying to Dark10x of DigitalFoundry.................

...Requoting again, just because this exchange was CLASSIC.

The 5 star system is perfect. It captures every discrete qualitative description - strongly dislike, dislike, Ok, like, strongly like.

There's a reason you don't use a 10-point scale when you take an opinion survey.

I would actually prefer a 4 star system. No middle star forces the reviewer out of the middle ground: Bad, Below Average, Good, Exceptional. I think that scale conveys more information succinctly.

It feels you are trying to dig for something that is not truly there. I will explain more what I meant below.

She did not start off in a modeling job. She started off posting herself in underwear on her own accord via Instagram, etc. She was using the trope of almost naked gamer nerd girl, to exploit the sexual hormones in the stereotypical male gamer to help boost her fame.

Nothing wrong with that for her, it is modeling after-all, but ironic she will bash someone else for wanting to exploit clicks (which is not the truth). Just because she is now a "model", does not excuse exploitation of certain demographics to get there. The exploitation of a means to get the "clicks" is what was hypocritical. Not all exploitation is bad. I am using this definition [2. the action of making use of and benefiting from resources.].

I will find it hard to believe, she did not exploit that "almost naked nerd girl" angle for clicks. So why throw dirt if you assume Jeff exploited a rage angle for clicks?

If I am wrong in this, and my mind is looking at this wrong? If so, please explain to me where I am wrong, other than, "she is a model tho", well because it would then be, "Jeff is a reviewer tho". I am always open to learning new things about other perspectives, and myself.

I don't have to dig for anything your putting it out there. People can take those type of pictures for themselves you know...

Fake Scripted excitement, use of girls doing "what happened this week" video's and "Brought to you by ____"

Them ASUS graphics, though, off dachaaain dwag.
I guess.

I don't have an opinion on RT as a whole, but considering all the shilling they're doing and the coinciding conflict-of-interest, this is quite possibly the stupidest throwing-bricks-inside-glass-houses shit I've ever seen.

I actually agree with Jeff's review, as someone who pre-purchased the game, played fallout shelter, and even downloaded the pip-boy app (which is kinda redundant really, but a fun novelty).

Ultimately, everyone has a right to an opinion. Jeff rated it 3/5 (on console, 4/5 on PC) as a result, and these RT people chastise him as a result.

This isn't a big deal, just one of those "agree to disagree" moments some folks can't wrap their heads around.

I am talking about her notoriety. The majority in here only knew her through that. They did not even know she was labeled a "gaming personality". Me included. Her job there has no relevance as to what I was getting at.

This comparison is hilarious. Even though it doesn't matter, the majority of people I saw posting didn't know her for that until they googled her and saw her pics.

Anyway, it's a ridiculous comparison and has absolutely nothing to do with the moronic thing she said.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't have to dig for anything your putting it out there. People can take those type of picture for themselves you know...

Nobody will post that publicly on social media, Instagram of all places, if it was just "for themselves". Well I guess, technically for themselves, but in a means to gain notoriety from the masses. Just as my friends who are musicians and other forms of artists, that do it for "themselves", by posting their work on there to hope to get recognition.

Like I said, nothing wrong with that. Just ironic she will throw around, "doing things just for clicks". Instagram/YouTube is all about them clicks.

But we know that panel are shills in the end, regardless.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This comparison is hilarious. Even though it doesn't matter, the majority of people I saw posting didn't know her for that until they googled her and saw her pics.

Anyway, it's a ridiculous comparison and has absolutely nothing to do with the moronic thing she said.

Fair enough, I just found her comment about "doing it for clicks" ironic. Since most people who want to make it big in modeling, music, photography, etc...

Do certain things to get said clicks. Her angle was the half naked nerd girl trope. (Hell, her current job at RT is based on them clicks) How disingenuous of her.

Jeff's angle is being brutally honest with how HE feels. Always has been. 25 years in the running.

But we can move on and agree, stupid is stupid does.

KarmaCow

When they questioned Jeff's intentions with this reviews, they questioned his integrity as a reviewer. His reviews cannot be considered genuine and worthwhile if he's supposedly just doing for it for the clicks. One comes at the cost of the other.

Even if posting pics on instagram in her underwear comprised her job as a model (it doesn't btw), it's still has nothing to do with what she does at Rooster Teeth. It just comes off as childish since it has no relevance.

Nobody will post that publicly on social media, Instagram of all places, if it was just "for themselves". Well I guess, technically for themselves, but in a means to gain notoriety from the masses. Just as my friends who are musicians and other forms of artists, that do it for "themselves", by posting their work on there to hope to get recognition.

Like I said, nothing wrong with that. Just ironic she will throw around, "doing things just for clicks". Instagram/YouTube is all about them clicks.

But we know that panel are shills in the end, regardless.
Ok. I still don't really know this why this was brought up but I'll drop it, cause this is going nowhere.
I think everyone knows what your opinion is.

Rooster Teeth are the same idiots who produce a webseries called "The Know" that reported a while back that Microsoft was going to buy the Silent Hill franchise from Konami for $800 million. Phil Spencer immediately denied it and said it wasn't even close to truth, yet they kept the video on YouTube to get ad revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom