• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doop

I believe it was on another mixlr stream? One with Danny so probably the E3 drive.

Can't remember the details, but Jeff/Gamespot had some interaction with EGM and they were really scummy. It wasn't just about print media in general, there was a specific story.

Oh I didn't know that, guess I was wrong.

Eidjinn

Jeff's opinion can be impactful sometimes. That Fallout 4 review is an example: the guy looked to be really enjoying Fallout 4, but then, he gave it a 3 stars.

Giant Bomb and sometimes Jim Sterling are usually the guys who will rate a game pretty low, devianting from the press norm.

That being said, the only reason that I don't get shocked and don't think this kind of reviews are click bait is because I have a friend that is even worse than these two. His top games are usually 8/10 and the only game he gave a 10/10 score was Final Fantasy VII.

That being said, Rooster Teeth is more of a fun conversation between friends than Giant Bomb, which is some kind of "somellier hideout" for games/gaming.

I find both enterntaining. The curious thing is that I was really waiting for the time when reviewers would review... reviews, haha!

Tesseract

Banned
15 minutes into skylanders and chill and he gives you this look

p6SWL.png

nutted but i'm still chuckling, like obama for chaos emeralds

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
There is truly nothing worse than Meg Turney. I subscribe the The Know to watch game news from the Funhaus guys. When I see that she's hosting a video I close it immediately.

Tagyhag

Oh man, will this ever end?

-RT will not be apologizing, they are not known to do that and they will always believe that they are in the right in their own inner-circle, they will be assholes to their own fans if need be.

-Ryan will never EVER admit he's wrong, I've watched almost all of the Achievement Hunter videos and he has never ever apologized for anything, even when he was clearly in the wrong.

There will be no closure out of this. People will forget, and RT will continue to be RT until they fuck up yet again.

Jeff Gerstmann will continue to not give a fuck.

killroy87

There is truly nothing worse than Meg Turney. I subscribe the The Know to watch game news from the Funhaus guys. When I see that she's hosting a video I close it immediately.

I don't personally like her either. I understand that she has an audience, and a market in the more casual gaming crowd, and that's fine. But to then insult the integrity of one of the biggest names in games media since it even began...well, you'd better have something damn good to go on.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This is why I like Jeff. While I personally disagree with his review (because I understand his general opinion on games, and sometimes we do not agree) I can understand his criticisms and review score.

MisterR

I certainly support Gerstmanns right to speak his mind freely about games, but I also think people should be allowed to disagree (even publicly) with something anyone's written.

Gerstmann and Giant Bomb crew do indeed come off as people who dislike gaming at times -- eye-rolling, hungover cynics who've lost a lot of passion for what they do, so I can see the frustration from Rooster Teeths point of view and it's exactly why I don't visit Giant Bomb.

There is a difference between disagreeing and basically questioning the integrity of the review. Which is what they actually did.

c0Zm1c

Jeff's opinion can be impactful sometimes. That Fallout 4 review is an example: the guy looked to be really enjoying Fallout 4, but then, he gave it a 3 stars.

He gave it 4 stars (PC version). He marked the console versions down because of technical issues.

Gerstmann and Giant Bomb crew do indeed come off as people who dislike gaming at times -- eye-rolling, hungover cynics who've lost a lot of passion for what they do, so I can see the frustration from Rooster Teeths point of view and it's exactly why I don't visit Giant Bomb.

I don't know how people feel that way when Jeff and Dan are going around saying things like Super Mario Maker is the greatest Nintendo game since Ocarina of Time. I find it refreshing that they don't freak out about every AAA games that comes their way.

thenexus6

I just started the latest episode of the Patch (video) first one post Jeff beration and you can tell from Meg's face instantly she's like shit..

GIANT BOMB EXPOSED - WINE ENTHUSIASTS CONFIRMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdC2Hhhqsqo

You have the best avatar to make this post...

I'd give it about a 7. It's fun, and i enjoy it, but man does it have issues. People also abuse the 10 point scale and don't use it right. When a game is only ok at an 8, good at a 9, excellent at a 9.5 we got issues. If you told someone a game was a 5/10, you already think "oh is garbage" when in reality it should be an average game, right in the middle. The problem exists that anything under an 8 us seen as a garbage game, a game, if it was scaled right would be a 2 or 3. This is an issue brought up by a combination of reviewers placating to the audience but also the audience not being able to accept a game in a franchise they like being, in their eyes, smeared by "bad" reviews.

I agree that the scale is used incorrectly, but doesn't it make sense how its used? 9/10 or 10/10 is an A grade in school. 8/10 is B, 7/10 is a C (which is Average), 6/10 is a D, and 5/10 is an F.

Eidjinn

He gave it 4 stars (PC version). He marked the console versions down because of technical issues.

But he gave the PC version 4 stars.

I know...

Like I said... impactful if you are not prepared. I really wasn't prepared for a 3 star (good game) only, even from Giant Bomb.

As I stated, he really seemed to be enjoying Fallout 4 in the gameplay video posted on youtube, and he was playing the ps4 version.

But it's just opinions. His evaluation was spot on when you consider that sometimes people are fed up with the Fallout bugs. Me, personally, I'm in the lucky side, where I almost never have any bugs that stops me from being immersed. In almost any game, actually.

Apathy

You have the best avatar to make this post...

I agree that the scale is used incorrectly, but doesn't it make sense how its used? 9/10 or 10/10 is an A grade in school. 8/10 is B, 7/10 is a C (which is Average), 6/10 is a D, and 5/10 is an F.

Then there is still no point in having a 10 point scale if you don't want to use it all. Might as well cut it down to 5, have 1 be an F and go up from there. Even in that sense, a 3 isn't a bad score.

But he gave the PC version 4 stars.

People have been making this error for the whole thread, I wouldn't bother correcting people by now. It's funny because Gerstmann explicitly giving the game two scores actually proves how interested he is in giving a balanced appraisal of the game, it totally negates the "low score for clikz" angle

Gnome

I want there to be a site that just reviews games normally in text but with an inverse number rating scale to fuck with Metacritic. Start burning down the modern review scale of 7+ from the inside.

I want there to be a site that just reviews games normally in text but with an inverse number rating scale to fuck with Metacritic. Start burning down the modern review scale of 7+ from the inside.

They already give reviews that don't use the 1-10 scale an approximate score when they're submitted to Metacritic. They'd just do the same with that.

Then there is still no point in having a 10 point scale if you don't want to use it all. Might as well cut it down to 5, have 1 be an F and go up from there. Even in that sense, a 3 isn't a bad score.

Don't get me wrong, the 10-point scale is real dumb. I just wanted to point this out because maybe this is how review outlets consider the 10-point scale.

PillarEN

Why did nobody slam Giantbomb when they gave Mirror's Edge like 2 stars?

and when Jeff said "anime is for jerks" back during the Gamespot years?

jk. This thread is funny though.

Wee need Mangod Bettenhausen to reclaim the 6.5 again. Quit your job Shane and back to reviews you go.

Jeff Gerstmann has been like this for almost 20 years. He hasn't lost his passion for anything, he's always been like this.

CGwizz

Thank god for people like him where the score matches the review, some other point 100 problems but in the end still give them 90 plus scores, or guys that basically do free PR for these companys.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thank god for people like him where the score matches the review, some other point 100 problems but in the end still give them 90 plus scores, or guys that basically do free PR for these companys.

Exactly.

I think their problem was mainly with the "while..." bit of the thread title. At least that's the only part I could confidently describe as "clickbait."

"Click this sentence to learn what they were doing!"

It is still not the worst thing. People would click the fuck out of it just for seeing RT berates Jeff Gerstmann. Let's be honest.

Looks more like a copy/paste job that cut off and was not cleaned up.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the lack of ethics on Rooster Teeth's part and insinuating someone who's done reviews for decades does it just for clicks was the worst part but lol ok.

I think their problem was mainly with the "while..." bit of the thread title. At least that's the only part I could confidently describe as "clickbait."

Well, can't fit "wearing pip boys and doing ads" or the character count would go over :p

People hate ellipses apparently! It's not like I mislead anyone or was inaccurate, clickbait often is unsatisfying.

Alebrije

Oh man, will this ever end?

-RT will not be apologizing, they are not known to do that and they will always believe that they are in the right in their own inner-circle, they will be assholes to their own fans if need be.

-Ryan will never EVER admit he's wrong, I've watched almost all of the Achievement Hunter videos and he has never ever apologized for anything, even when he was clearly in the wrong.

There will be no closure out of this. People will forget, and RT will continue to be RT until they fuck up yet again.

Jeff Gerstmann will continue to not give a fuck.

stillbetteralovestorythantwilight.jpg

MrGerbils

To insinuate that Jeff Gerstmann is some kind of hipster who hates something just because other people like it so he can stand out and look cool for being different is beyond ridiculous.

The dude has some opinions on games, has his tastes, and is very open about them.

Fallout 4 is pretty easily my GOTY already, but I can very easily see how it's not for everyone. Jeff is one of those people and that's fine. I still love it.

Giant Bomb and sometimes Jim Sterling are usually the guys who will rate a game pretty low, devianting from the press norm.

That being said, the only reason that I don't get shocked and don't think this kind of reviews are click bait is because I have a friend that is even worse than these two. His top games are usually 8/10 and the only game he gave a 10/10 score was Final Fantasy VII.

That being said, Rooster Teeth is more of a fun conversation between friends than Giant Bomb, which is some kind of "somellier hideout" for games/gaming.

I find both enterntaining. The curious thing is that I was really waiting for the time when reviewers would review... reviews, haha!

Personally, when my friends talk about games it sounds like Giant Bomb. If my friends sounded like that "The Patch" clip from the OP... I would seek out new friends. It sounded like conversations I would overhear at a Gamestop while I kept my head down.

Different strokes and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom