• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
My bad I should have worded that better, but I mean from Scariff to the end of ANH. At most it's like a 5 day span right?

A New Hope is maybe 4 days? From the beginning until R2 gets captured (sunset), then until the twin suns (sunset), then until Luke joins Ben to become his padawan (Weapon of a Jedi clarifies that Ben taught Luke some meditation practices that night before they went to Mos Eisley the next day), then the rest is all one day unless there's another day preparing for the battle.

Depends on how long it takes Vader to hunt the Tantive IV.

There'd naturally be a way to dismantle any installation once you go the "put a team of saboteur to infiltrate it" route. The First Death Star's flaw is a critical weakness exactly because you don't need a team of saboteur at all to blow it up. A fortress penetrable from the outside is no fortress at all.

I mean, this is like saying Iron Man and Black Widow has a similar weakness because both will die if you rip their heart out.

No you only needed an aspiring jedi, with some basic training and the guidance of a force spirit to blow it up.
If saboteurs were to try blow the death star up they'd need to infiltrate it all the way to the reactor. Starkiller base on the other hand bad the thingy away from the main base and no one even garrisoned there to protect it. It's also literally the only facility preventing the planet from going up in flames.

Boke1879

Something I remember BOTH times watching the movie. Right before Vader ignites his saber and the rebel soldiers can't see him. It's totally quiet. My fucking heart started beating. Did it the 2nd time I watched it and I knew what was going to happen lol.

Number_6

That would be against the Jedi code, which is partially why Anakin turned. If they do that It waters down the consequences of the prequels even more.

That aspect of the Jedi Code was stupid. Luke should be improving on their past mistakes.

1) If Force-sensitivity can be passed to children, and the Jedi recruit all the Force-sensitive children (big galaxy, small galaxy, whatever) and then ensure that those children never ever breed--then where do they get new Jedi after all the old ones die? I like this one too, because it would mean that not all Force-sensitives need be born of Force-sensitive parents. AKA Rey could be a nobody, with regards to lineage.

2) If love and family were permitted and normal, then maybe Anakin would have been emotionally prepared to handle his impending loss. The Jedi should educate, not forbid. We're not talking about handguns here, but life, love and family, pretty much the reason for living!

I've said this several times here: countless trillions of people in the galaxy lose their husband or wife, yet somehow they don't go into a rage, kill their boss, kill younglings, and bring order to the galaxy by ruling with an iron fist.

After viewing #2 some of my favorite moments:

The Death Star eclipse during Galen's recording and the editing between the weapon's power up and Jyn's reactions. The lighting and timing gives me goosebumps.

The subtleties of Jyn and Cassian's trust as it grows throughout the movie and the restraint of their quickly realized affection and the absolute lack of time for it ever to be explored any further. Love that final scene with them. Beautiful.

Mads Mikkelsen's line deliveries. His pacing between words comes off as very genuine to me and he made me like him with so little screen time.

The way Baze changed the emphasis on one certain word during the line delivery of his last spoken sentence to Chirrut. Very impactful to me.

I personally LOVE the part from Vader boarding and his epic moment all the way to Leia and the end credits. Some could argue it's too much fanservice, but I adore it when the OT is replicated in such a way and it blew my mind. I wish I could see it all for the first time again.

When Krennic sees the explosions on the pads in sequence from the window. Boom, boom, boom! Also, nods to Ben Mendelsohn. He had a lot at stake here as a character. Nailed it.

There's more but this is just off the top of my head.

That aspect of the Jedi Code was stupid. Luke should be improving on their past mistakes.

1) If Force-sensitivity can be passed to children, and the Jedi recruit all the Force-sensitive children (big galaxy, small galaxy, whatever) and then ensure that those children never ever breed--then where do they get new Jedi after all the old ones die?

2) If love and family were permitted and normal, then maybe Anakin would have been emotionally prepared to handle his impending loss. The Jedi should educate, not forbid. We're not talking about handguns here, but life, love and family, pretty much the reason for living!

I've said this several times here: countless trillions of people in the galaxy lose their husband or wife, yet somehow they don't go into a rage, kill their boss, kill younglings, and bring order to the galaxy by ruling with an iron fist.

If it's a future film sure, as in post ST in terms of timeline, but should such a Jedi exist i don't think you should mess with the prior lore.

I do agree with you though.

sphagnum

Banned
1) If Force-sensitivity can be passed to children, and the Jedi recruit all the Force-sensitive children (big galaxy, small galaxy, whatever) and then ensure that those children never ever breed--then where do they get new Jedi after all the old ones die?

There is a crystal in the Jedi archives that locates Force sensitive children after they are born. The Jedi then go and take the children when they are toddlers; many cultures see this as a great honor but others see it as kidnapping, which was played up during the Clone Wars to encourage anti-Jedi sentiment.

Look up the Baby Ludi incident, which is technically non canon but was alluded to in the Propaganda book. George purposefully made the Jedi like this to show that they had fallen off the path.

Edit: autocorrect messed up "Baby Ludi"

Boke1879

1) If Force-sensitivity can be passed to children, and the Jedi recruit all the Force-sensitive children (big galaxy, small galaxy, whatever) and then ensure that those children never ever breed--then where do they get new Jedi after all the old ones die? I like this one too, because it would mean that not all Force-sensitives need be born of Force-sensitive parents. AKA Rey could be a nobody, with regards to lineage.

Yea I think the prequels wanted to show a bit of how the Jedi weren't perfect either. It is partially why anakin turned.

Number_6

If it's a future film sure, as in post ST in terms of timeline, but should such a Jedi exist i don't think you should mess with the prior lore.

I do agree with you though.

I'm saying Luke, with his new order, could actually understand where the old Jedi went wrong, and try not to repeat the same mistakes.

-griffy-

Banned
Has it been mentioned that when the star destroyer is disabled it gets that rippling lightning all over it just like the old movies? That was cool.

Number_6

There is a crystal in the Jedi archives that locates Force sensitive children after they are born. The Jedi then go and take the children when they are toddlers; many cultures see this as a great honor but others see it as kidnapping, which was played up during the Clone Wars to encourage anti-Jedi sentiment.

Look up the Baby Ludi incident, which is technically non canon but was alluded to in the Propaganda book. George purposefully made the Jedi like this to show that they had fallen off the path.

Edit: autocorrect messed up "Baby Ludi"

That's neat. I always thought it was weird, like they can just make recruits instead of snatching up other babies. Not sure I'm ready to give George credit on that one though. I feel like he just wanted solemn serious space monks.

I'm saying Luke, with his new order, could actually understand where the old Jedi went wrong, and try not to repeat the same mistakes.
I understand now and I entirely agree, I hope to see the Sith reinvent themselves too, abolish the rule of two and the introduction of non evil force users. Would make for interesting dynamics between groups in future films.

RS4-

Has it been mentioned that when the star destroyer is disabled it gets that rippling lightning all over it just like the old movies? That was cool.

I think that's just the ion bombs doing their work.

Then again I'm not 100% sure if that was an ion cannon on Hoth.

DavidDesu

I think you meant John Boyega. He was trying way too hard to do the American accent. Should just let him speak in his normal voice.

Actors with charisma and energy and people complain. Guess Daisy and John should have played it as unconvincing wooden dull zombies like Padme and Christensen to get it just right. Fucking hell you guys are never happy with anything.

Just seen it for my second time tonight. The one original theme he introduced during the climax of the film makes it all worth it. Emotional and fresh but still feels Star Wars. That climax as the Star Destroyers broke the shield and we got the plans through to Vader wrecking the joint... Wow. Pitch perfect moment.

There's Jyn's theme, a new villainous theme that was great, and the Guardians of the Whills theme which is beautiful. I didn't care for the score until I heard it separately but it's pretty great IMO.

Daisy was awesome, heathens.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The story of the new trilogy I think is supposed to be that the force inherently tries to balance itself. So the force is not good or evil, and trying to suppress one side only ends up strengthening it. Hence why the force "awakens" in TFA; Kylo's rise forces an awakening on the light side. They have to justify a way to have force-users popup all over in future stories, $$$$$.

Number_6

I understand now and I entirely agree, I hope to see the Sith reinvent themselves too, abolish the rule of two and the introduction of non evil force users. Would make for interesting dynamics between groups in future films.

Ughh. I don't like the Rule of Two either. It's like someone took a throwaway line from Yoda and made it gospel.

Like, Jedi come paired master/apprentice as well. But since nobody said "hey, there's always two Jedi (because they come in pairs because master/apprentice)" people don't have to get confused when they actually see more than two Jedi in movies.

Seriously though, I feel that the simple fact that Yoda said the word "two" made it so it had to be literal or somebody would argue that Yoda was wrong, or a liar, or something. So dumb.

Ugh, this was so good.

Exactly what I wanted from a non-Episode movie. It didn't try to recreate the wide shot epic of the core movies. It saved the referential moments for controlled bursts. It didn't want to spend time giving anyone a primer.

I hope the other off-year movies follow that. There's so much room for different stories and different types of movies, while leaving the epics to the core films.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Of course we didn't need to see it. That is not the point. It lasted a few seconds of a 2h + movie. It is a homage to the original. Does it have importance in the big picture? Not at all. But it still have some value to the small interconnected things. Thinking about it, this is really nothing to argue further on imo. It just makes it all seem like a silly thing to even care about. It happened, and it is in the movie. Move on.

Connective tissue versus a cameo calling attention to itself for no other reason than to call attention to itself

This is one thing I liked about the old EU. They started fleshing out future Jedi, and then once the prequels came along with all these rules about Jedi not getting married and whatnot, the EU explanation kind of became "Well clearly the old ways could use some improvement or they wouldn't have all DIED."

What did people think of crashing the star destroyers into each other to bring down the shield? Was a little too schlocky for me but it was fun when I realized what was happening.

Hydrus

Actors with charisma and energy and people complain. Guess Daisy and John should have played it as unconvincing wooden dull zombies like Padme and Christensen to get it just right. Fucking hell you guys are never happy with anything.

Overacting is just as bad. His accent sounded so forced that it made a lot of his scenes cringe.

I just came back from the theater and I'd give the movie an 8/10.

The characters outside of Jyn were meh, the action battles were okay but Star Wars is pretty boring without light saber battles (yes I know all the Jedis are dead or hiding). I was also getting annoyed when Chirrut kept saying the force was with him, well he ended up dying lol. His buddy Baze also repeated the phrase but ended up dying so I felt the phrase was not necessary...

The ending was also a bit cheesy but I appreciated the fan service.

Tookay

What did people think of crashing the star destroyers into each other to bring down the shield? Was a little too schlocky for me but it was fun when I realized what was happening.
It was cool and different. The rebels won through innovative tactics, which I thought was refreshing.

Overacting is just as bad. His accent sounded so forced that it made a lot of his scenes cringe.

I'd rather have energy and overacting instead of Natalie's turn. Also it's Star Wars, a franchise that has excelled at overdone, cheesy performances. Not saying the acting shouldn't be as good as possible, but I thought Daisy and John were mostly in-line from what to expect in a SW movie.

1 thing that really bugged me was when Jyn gets out of her disguise she suddenly has all of her regular outfit on including a big vest that wouldn't have fit under her disguise.

Tookay

Both Daisy and John were overacting. You can call that charming but they acted like cartoons at various points. I'd like to see them tone it down a bit in the next film.

That looks like a better film
Because you're filling in the blanks with your mind and imagining how it could be great.

It wasn't, which is why it was scrapped.

What scenes did they overact, with John maybe when he's taunting Phasma but I just thought he felt like he has power over her in that scene and was living it up. I can't think of any moments with Daisy where she's doing anything outlandish or overdone.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I know I talked how I didn't get the point of Rogue One heading into release, but I really am glad this was made. Gareth Edward's finest work, and a prequel so good it even makes A New Hope a better movie.

And thank god it came out in 2016 of all years.

very cool moment but my first thought was why they couldn't shoot up the shield structure itself in the first place. was it shielded from laser fire but not physical objects?

I know I talked how I didn't get the point of Rogue One heading into release, but I really am glad this was made. Gareth Edward's finest work, and a prequel so good it even makes A New Hope a better movie.

And thank god it came out in 2016 of all years.

I think good entertainment is reason enough for something to "exist." Hell I don't care for the movie but a lot of people liked it, and it gave me a SW movie to look forward to this year. People are saying this about the Han Solo movie; it doesn't NEED to be made, but no movies really need to be made. :p

Ultimadrago

I thought it was one of the better action frames of the film compared to the rest. Of course, Chirrut's staff-wielding made for a fair replacement to light sabers in regards to close-combat and was a worthwhile addition as well.

Man I'll be honest and I've been thinking about this since I saw the movie, but I've seen people citing scenes I flat out don't even remember. I was in line for 9 hours and it was cold as fuck, so I'm honestly beginning to wonder if I actually dozed off a few times. Like I kept thinking "this feels really disjointed" and I was having a hard time latching onto the characters. It felt like it kept jumping around and I'm wondering, literally, if I slept through some of it.

So when I watch it again on Tuesday, if I like it or at least more, I'll just blame it on that. Unfortunately I know I didn't dream about or imagine shitty CGI Tarkin or Leia.

Tookay

What scenes did they overact, with John maybe when he's taunting Phasma but I just thought he felt like he has power over her in that scene and was living it up. I can't think of any moments with Daisy where she's doing anything outlandish or overdone.

Besides the Phasma scene, I'd say that a lot of scenes with Rey and Finn on the Falcon (them fixing the Falcon, the "I bypassed the compressor :D" scene, the "YOU KNOW LUKE SKYWALKER? :O" scene) and the Rathars.

I get that they were trying to show some energy and enthusiasm in comparison with the "sterile" acting of the prequels, but they went a little far.

Both Daisy and John reeled it in for the last act, though, which I appreciated. I still think they're great finds - I just wish they had toned it down a little.

PrankT

I liked it. I won't over analyze. Wasn't the best, wasn't the worst. Saw it with d-box movie seats, which was pretty cool. I recommend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom