• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tci

Why was this something we needed to see? I mean it makes sense that Red/Gold leaders were part of the space battle, it makes sense Mon Mothma is there, it makes sense that Bail Organa is there, it makes sense that Tarkin is there, and even if I thought it was a little unnecessary, it makes sense that Leia was included.

There is no reason that these two guys show up here, bumping into two incredibly important Star Wars characters, only to meet two more incredibly important Star Wars characters a week later. And both groups' missions are focused around the Death Star plans. It's shit like this, like Chewie knowing Yoda or like Anakin building C-3PO that makes the galaxy feel small.
Of course we didn't need to see it. That is not the point. It lasted a few seconds of a 2h + movie. It is a homage to the original. Does it have importance in the big picture? Not at all. But it still have some value to the small interconnected things. Thinking about it, this is really nothing to argue further on imo. It just makes it all seem like a silly thing to even care about. It happened, and it is in the movie. Move on.

JBuccCP

Speaking of K20s or whatever his name is the Empire should really reconsider the whole droid army thing. A couple of legions of those guys could fuck up any rebel force.

DavidDesu

I gotta say, this was good, but the lack of Williams hung over it like a stone.

Not that i expected another March of the Empire Duel of the Fates, or even a STAR WARS MAIN THEME, but eh. Something. Somewhere.

Just seen it for my second time tonight. The one original theme he introduced during the climax of the film makes it all worth it. Emotional and fresh but still feels Star Wars. That climax as the Star Destroyers broke the shield and we got the plans through to Vader wrecking the joint... Wow. Pitch perfect moment.

Speaking of K20s or whatever his name is the Empire should really reconsider the whole droid army thing. A couple of legions of those guys could fuck up any rebel force.
"The jedi cut 'em down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless" - Lucas

Apparently the Empire improved a lot on the sepratists but decided to go for stormtroopers instead. More imperial fuck ups. Thanks Krennik.

Oh I remember something that bothers me. They unnecessarily retconned that Galeb specifically build the weakness into the deathstar. But that doesn't explain shit why Starkiller base also has such a similar one.

It'd have been unchanged if Galeb collaborated because they'd built it anyway but would be able to send the plans for them to discover a weakness.

Starkiller Base doesn't really have a similar weakness. It has several precautions protecting its center (shield generator, blocked tunnel, etc) and it has a conditional (needs to be shot at the exact moment it's charging).

The First Death Star has a hole on the outer hull leading directly to the center.

sphagnum

Banned
"The jedi cut 'em down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless" - Lucas

Apparently the Empire improved a lot on the sepratists but decided to go for stormtroopers instead. More imperial fuck ups. Thanks Krennik.

The Stormtroopers, despite their supposed feared reputation, are actually more of a propaganda/job creation program meant to inspire loyalty and instill a sense of duty among young Imperial citizens. The new canon books have been delving into this really well actually.

Drayco21

This might have ended up my third favorite in the series, after Empire and Revenge. Was kinda worried going in, after TFA was such a personal disappointment, but I was pretty happy across the board. Liked pretty much every major character, would love to see more stuff in the series on a similar scale and tone.

Starkiller Base doesn't really have a similar weakness. There need to be several conditions to be fulfilled and obstacles to clear to blow it up (shield generator, blocked tunnel, need to shoot it at the exact moment it's charging).

The First Death Star has a hole on the outer hull leading directly to the center.

If you had the plans of it going in and time to prepare all you really had to do was send a proper team of saboteurs and blow it up when they tried shooting. Once a star is consumed it takes time to take a shot and the thingy has to run for it to not consume the planet.

They didn't even need the force to destroy starkiller base

sphagnum

Banned
I didn't finish Tarkin (going back after Catalyst) but Tarkin didn't take nearly half the damn book to get good.

Catalyst was good from the start! And I actually like Tarkin's first half better than the second. But I also liked Lords of the Sith's first half better than the second. My tastes don't always align with everyone else's.

If you had the plans of it going in and time to prepare all you really had to do was send a proper team of saboteurs and blow it up when they tried shooting. Once a star is consumed you blow it up and it does as well.

They didn't even need the force to blow up starkiller base

There'd naturally be a way to dismantle any installation once you go the "have a team of saboteur infiltrate it" route. The First Death Star's design has a critical weakness exactly because you don't need a team of saboteur at all to blow it up. A fortress penetrable from the outside is no fortress.

I mean, this is like saying Iron Man and Black Widow has a similar weakness because both will die if you rip their heart out.

sphagnum

Banned
...wait, Whitaker's character was introduced prior to this film in the animated series?

Bah.

There's an entire arc about Saw and Steela Gerrera and the Onderon rebels in TCW. He was supposed to be a character in the live action tv show before it got shelved so they had started seeding him in on TCW.

Boke1879

I know I'm kinda going off topic with what the discussion is now.

But from Scariff to the end of the movie and then from the start and end to ANH. We're looking at what? A 5 day span at most?

I didn't finish Tarkin (going back after Catalyst) but Tarkin from what I read didn't take nearly half the damn book to get good.

Catalyst is better (and also by Luceno).

He really meant to say Tarkin by James Luceno.

Make sure you get the audio book of Lost Stars,
its so good I seriously can't picture myself reading it regularly now.
Thundering
Applause

I know I'm kinda going off topic with what the discussion is now.

But from Scariff to the end of the movie and then from the start and end to ANH. We're looking at what? A 5 day span at most?
Like 10 minutes honestly.

sphagnum

Banned
Make sure you get the audio book of Lost Stars,
its so good I seriously can't picture myself reading it regularly now.

Lost Stars can get melodramatic to the point of cheese, but it pays off so well at Jakku. I can picture the sequence aboard the Inflictor vividly. Would make a great movie.

...wait, Whitaker's character was introduced prior to this film in the animated series?

Bah.

Worst part of the movie. She was bad

She talks about this a lot, as she felt like she was still getting some of her acting chops, and a lot of her first scenes were all done with BB-8, so she had no one to really act off of. You can tell it takes her a while to find her footing, but I think she'll just get better as time goes on.

Lost Stars can get melodramatic to the point of cheese, but it pays off so well at Jakku. I can picture the sequence aboard the Inflictor vividly. Would make a great movie.
It definitely would, thats why I say go audio book though.
Great soundtrack, sound effects and a good narrator.
I was listening while at work but man I felt like I was seeing it as a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom