• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's garbage combat

mccZrLw.gif

From eurogamer

sheamus

I will say that the shooting in the new tomb raider feels like garbage. when you compare the game against uncharted 2 and 3

Orayn

I have all the bullshit on my TV turned off and RoTR still had more noticeable input lag compared to other 30 FPS games. Don't assume everyone with a complaint is completely ignorant.

I did play the one on ps3 , just called tomb raider, and I had no issues with the controls
does anyone know if it plays the same or similar or is the OP right on this?

Adaren

No, it's not that, it's TV settings for most folk. I'm sensitive to it, I just don't get it. The DF video was many times laggier than mine ever was.

I hate to have to keep posting this, but it's not just 'you don't notice it' - it wasn't there for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDWExzLxbQ

turn off all the bullshit on your tv.

If you slow it down to .25 speed, you can see that you let go of the stick before the camera even begins to move.

This is actually great evidence for the existence of significant input lag. More power to you if it doesn't bother you.

EDIT: Beaten by gifs.

I think it's a combination of input lag and dead zone.

Because you move the stick, the game does nothing for a moment, then instantly moves at the maximum speed in the direction you pressed.

There doesn't appear to be any kind of smoothness to the aiming. You constantly overshoot the target.

Gator86

The aiming didn't feel too bad, but it was definitely a tier tier down from TR1 which felt amazing.

It's a far cry from Halo 5 which was borderline unplayable for me in MP. Only game where I've genuinely struggled with aiming.

I just finished the game a few days ago. Usually I'm pretty sensitive to input lag, but it didn't bother me too much in this game. My tv has really low input lag so that might have helped. I played stealth for the most part, but fighting wolves and those heavily armored guys that rush you down were kind of a pain. Shotgun was pretty much the only viable solution in those encounters.

leng jai

Pretty ridiculous that CD haven't even said anything about it still, let alone fixed it. Not touching the PC version no matter how good it looks until I know for sure it doesn't have this nonsense.

dreamfall

Played the game for 50+ hours. 100%-ed the map. On the XBO, input lag was immediately noticeable. It bothered me in the beginning, but ended up powering through until I got used to it. I don't think any patch has addressed the issue either. Great game otherwise!

I read this and booted up my savefile. Didn't notice any input delay. Was able to beat the game 100% on survival without any issues with the combat (of which I enjoyed) so I'm not really sure what to say about this. I'm playing on an old Samsung PC monitor if that makes a difference.

TheYanger

If you slow it down to .25 speed, you can see that you let go of the stick before the camera even begins to move.

This is actually great evidence for the existence of significant input lag. More power to you if it doesn't bother you.

EDIT: Beaten by gifs.

If I slow down Titanfall it does that, or any game, there is always input lag of some sort, consoles don't poll the controller at 0 ms and TVs and monitors don't operate at 0 MS.

You guys post gifs as if they should match up 1:1 when nothing does that.

Here, a game nobody is ever going to claim controls like shit:
https://youtu.be/ycjto4Oo2rE

Yeah, it's lower, in a game that runs at twice the framerate and I've STILL let go of the stick before it starts to move, because you're slowing shit down to the point that you think you're making a point, but you're not. Feel free to go 'scientifically' test this with any game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
To me it felt more like a dead zone thing. Yeah, I'm looking at the GIFs & don't dispute them, but the feel for me was too all or nothing. I lowered stick sensitivity & it felt better for me. I realize this is a highly subjective thing.

CD needs to fix it on X1, and this sure as hell shouldn't be in the PC port. I dunno if I'd call it garbage tier though. My biggest complaint about the combat is the emphasis it gets in the endgame...

Anon67

wwait wait your library carries video games?!

mine has been saying they would for the last 15 or so years

Manga has just become big all of a sudden

It doesn't have the niche titles but you can get most 360/XB1 and PS3/4 exclusives and other 3th party games (MGS V, The Witcher, AC Syndicate) relatively easily and sometimes very quickly, depending on the game. I rented the Order 1886, TLoU, and Infamous Second Son from my library to play over winter break. The loan lasts for 3 weeks. It's amazing.

CD needs to fix it on X1, and this sure as hell shouldn't be in the PC port. I dunno if I'd call it garbage tier though. My biggest complaint about the combat is the emphasis it gets in the endgame...

I may have been a bit too harsh but I've played so many games with good controls that I just cannot tolerate this BS. Jumping from Halo 5 and CSGO on pc to...this? Ugh.

nynt9

No, it's not that, it's TV settings for most folk. I'm sensitive to it, I just don't get it. The DF video was many times laggier than mine ever was.

I hate to have to keep posting this, but it's not just 'you don't notice it' - it wasn't there for me.

I'm playing through a capture card that has negligible amount of lag and on a PC monitor that has 100hz refresh and negligible lag. I can easily tell when there's lag in games, and this game has plenty, unlike other games I play through the capture card.

Stop blaming it on the TV as a way to deflect from the shortcomings of the game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Made the game unplayable for me, had to put it down.

Can't believe it still has not been patched

Het_Nkik

If I slow down Titanfall it does that, or any game, there is always input lag of some sort, consoles don't poll the controller at 0 ms and TVs and monitors don't operate at 0 MS.

Here, a game nobody is ever going to claim controls like shit:
https://youtu.be/ycjto4Oo2rE

Yeah, it's lower, in a game that runs at twice the framerate and I've STILL let go of the stick before it starts to move, because you're slowing shit down to the point that you think you're making a point, but you're not. Feel free to go 'scientifically' test this with any game.

I thought it was super obvious just from the YouTube video you posted proving it isn't. Your bow is trailing behind your stick movement even at full speed.

TheYanger

I'm playing through a capture card that has negligible amount of lag and on a PC monitor that has 100hz refresh and negligible lag. I can easily tell when there's lag in games, and this game has plenty, unlike other games I play through the capture card.

Stop blaming it on the TV as a way to deflect from the shortcomings of the game.

It has a large deadzone, there is a difference. If it had input lag it wouldn't be relegated to people having trouble aiming in combat, you wouldn't be able to do basic shit like jump without feeling it.

I thought it was super obvious just from the YouTube video you posted proving it isn't. Your bow is trailing behind your stick movement even at full speed.

Mock the video within the video if you want, but the titanfall one I posted is to prove a point: that happens in every game. It's merely a matter of how much. Just like in the DF gif - The 360 one is trailing well behind as well, because every game does, the more you slow your footage down the more it becomes apparent.

icespide

Banned
Mock the video within the video if you want, but the titanfall one I posted is to prove a point: that happens in every game. It's merely a matter of how much. Just like in the DF gif - The 360 one is trailing well behind as well, because every game does, the more you slow your footage down the more it becomes apparent.

yes very video game has input lag, no one is arguing against that. the point is that the input lag in rise of the tomb raider on xbox one is worse than average and, for some people, hurts the game.

the 360 vs. xbox one gif illustrates the fact that the lag on the xbox one version is worse than the 360 version which is baffling

Might be beyond the scope of this topic, but can anyone explain what generally causes input lag like this? Other than frame drops and TV's themselves, of course.

What developer decisions would cause one game to have more input lat than another? It essentially has nothing to do with graphics/computing power, right?

Gxgear

When the analog was flicked it was harder to tell, but as you're rotating I can definitely see the onscreen being quite behind the controller.

TheYanger

yes very video game has input lag, no one is arguing against that. the point is that the input lag in rise of the tomb raider on xbox one is worse than average and, for some people, hurts the game.

the 360 vs. xbox one gif illustrates the fact that the lag on the xbox one version is worse than the 360 version which is baffling

Again, it's a deadzone not input lag. Difference is the tender way DF pushes their sticks. Same reason you can go to any part where I'm flicking the stick in my video and it's only about 3 frames of scientific phone camera between. Or the part where I've got it pushed all the way and rotating it, it's very slight like any other game.

Doubtful.

Lots of access to the creative team and having super likable pr guys pays dividends sometimes. Crystal dynamics is pretty good at that sort of thing.

Note: I'm not saying corruption or that the game is bad, just that it is harder to shit on 'friends' in public than strangers.

That basically is corruption, when you have to lie to serve your own agenda.

ViciousDS

Banned
The input lag is real. Hopefully it does not carry over to the PC version.

omg yes they are.....it makes the game very fucking annoying and its the reason I haven't finished it. Hopefully its fixed on PC if not, I know damn well someone will mod it.

It was called out by Digital Foundry. The game has very large input lag. Somewhat humoroursly, the X360 version of the game has much less input lag than XB1 version does.

Ah, so that explains that. I got through a lot of fighting in the game and was going to say I didn't notice it but I played on 360 at a friend's house.

Aiming did feel a bit off, but to be honest I didn't play with the sensitivity before sitting down with the game so I attributed that to it.

I thought it would get better as I got used to it, but it stayed sluggish throughout. Combat never felt right in this game, unless you're going around stealth killing everything. Good thing the rest of the package was so well done.

SRTtoZ

Wow you just read my mind. I'm probably 70% through the game and man the combat is SO bad compared to the first game. You can't aim for shit and I'm using an 8ms monitor and the lag is still bad. Another thing I'm noticing is the game is insanely easy. I don't really understand why there are medkits in the game when it has regenerating health as well? Poison arrows and the explosion ones especially when upgraded make encounters super easy. They also went overboard with the amount of collectibles almost bordering on Ubisoft territory.

Anon67

Another thing I'm noticing is the game is insanely easy. I don't really understand why there are medkits in the game when it has regenerating health as well? Poison arrows and the explosion ones especially when upgraded make encounters super easy. They also went overboard with the amount of collectibles almost bordering on Ubisoft territory.

I totally agree with all this, especially the part about the med kits/bandages. Survivor mode is a joke.

cameron

Wow you just read my mind. I'm probably 70% through the game and man the combat is SO bad compared to the first game. You can't aim for shit and I'm using an 8ms monitor and the lag is still bad. Another thing I'm noticing is the game is insanely easy. I don't really understand why there are medkits in the game when it has regenerating health as well? Poison arrows and the explosion ones especially when upgraded make encounters super easy. They also went overboard with the amount of collectibles almost bordering on Ubisoft territory.

This is my criticism too with the combat encounters. AI is dumb, weak, and the player is overpowered. When people whine about other shooters and praise TR's combat, I assume they just want to steamroll through the enemies.

You're inventing stuff here. No one is saying it has to be 1-1 0ms. The delay is excessive in the Xbox One version. It's considerably longer.

Have you not read eurogamers articles, or listened to the video?

Again, it's a deadzone not input lag. Difference is the tender way DF pushes their sticks. Same reason you can go to any part where I'm flicking the stick in my video and it's only about 3 frames of scientific phone camera between. Or the part where I've got it pushed all the way and rotating it, it's very slight like any other game.

Can you see here that the Xbox One gets a head start, stick all the way over and still lags behind 360?
eeMVzXq.gif

All you've proven so far is you're fine with this amount of lag. All games lag from input to action, the distinction is how long.

Top Bottom