• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin vs Stellar Blade: Which PlayStation Exclusive Will Score the Higher Metacritic Average

Which PlayStation Exclusive Will Score the Higher Metacritic Average?

• Rise of the Ronin will receive the higher Critic average.

Votes: 143 41.9%
  • Stellar Blade will receive the higher Critic average.

Votes: 206 60.4%

• Total voters

Eiknarf

Banned
Of the next two upcoming PS5 Exclusives, which PlayStation Exclusive will score the higher Metacritic average?

Rise of the Ronin
or
Stellar Blade

(this poll is only for predicting the higher CRITIC average, not the higher USER average score)

nial

Gold Member
Ronin

Media outlets will dock points for Stellar because they're mysogonists
Ronin because of the SJWs trying to tank Stellar for true beauty.
Tough one. Stellar Blade looks like the better game to me but it will absolutely get some low scores because of Eve, her outfits and her booty.
Stellar Blade will not go over well with the blue haired San Franciscan crowd who dominate the gaming media. Ronin looks like it will review poorly on its own merit but I still think it scores higher.
Game journalists are going to destroy Stellar Blade. We all know why.
The Shift Up tax.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Honestly I think it’ll be Stellar even though I’m not interested in picking it up.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Stellar Blade …

al pacino great ass GIF

GymWolf

Rise of the ronin most probably.

I can see all the klepleks of the world scoring stellar balde lower for the boys club bullshit but ignore the fact that ronin looks like an upscaled ps3 game at 80 euros price point.

Last edited:

Killer8

Rise of the Ronin. Team Ninja have a very good track record with the Nioh games.

From what i've seen of the leaked demo footage Stellar Blade, it looks like a poor man's Nier Automata. Extremely uninteresting game outside of the protagonist's design.

StueyDuck

Team ninja is a known quantity...

There combat and gameplay is at the very least good most the time.

Stellar Blade is Korean and usually those games are all style and no substance. I personally haven't seen a reason why Stellar Blade should be so beloved other than for horny boys 🤷‍♂️.

The demo got ripped away before I could try it myself but if we are purely going via precedent, RotR should be the better game

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Someone tweet Shift Up to patch in a couple mumu outfits or maybe a Konami like code you can input at the title screen to make Fat Eve.

GymWolf

Team ninja is a known quantity...

There combat and gameplay is at the very least good most the time.

Stellar Blade is Korean and usually those games are all style and no substance. I personally haven't seen a reason why Stellar Blade should be so beloved than for horny boys 🤷‍♂️.

The deme got ripped away before I could try it myself but if we are purely going via precedent, RotR should be the better game
We only had one big korean game in the past years and it was almost as good (some would say AS GOOD) as some fromsoft games.

What are these multitude of important korean games that we had recently?

Edit: I forgot the diablo-like one but that one was successful aswell...

Last edited:

StueyDuck

We only had one big korean game in the past years and it was almost as good (some would say AS GOOD) as some fromsoft games.

What are these multitude of important korean games that we had recently?

Edit: I forgot the diablo-like one but that one was successful aswell...
There are so many of them that to list them would be a waste.

So here

We've had mmos, battle Royales, hero shooters, CS clones, crpgs and so on and so forth.

99% of the time it's all graphics and very little in interesting game design.

Lies of P was fine. But it was just a clone of other games (so much so they copied entire animations).

I have yet to play a Korean game that felt genuinely new, unique or more than a copy of something that already exists

GymWolf

There are so many of them that to list them would be a waste.

So here

We've had mmos, battle Royales, hero shooters, CS clones, crpgs and so on and so forth.

99% of the time it's all graphics and very little in interesting game design.

Lies of P was fine. But it was just a clone of other games (so much so they copied entire animations).

I have yet to play a Korean game that felt genuinely new, unique or more than a copy of something that already exists
Umm I was talking about big caliber games.

A lot of non-korean showelware games are also crap, hall majority of games released in the market are bad to mediocre if we consider everything that comes out every year, i'm sure that a lot of japanese\european\american games are also crap of the highest order.

They made only 2 big games in the past years and they are both pretty famous and praised (P more tham the diablo clone).

I don't expect stellar blade to have better combat than nioh2 of course, but i saw the combat in ronin and it looks just weightless with a lot of sliding, stellar blade just look better to me combat wise, even if ronin is probably gonna be better mechanically (maybe).

Last edited:

killatopak

Ronin feels like the better game.

It’s the story that’s the toss up. Music I feel will be Stellar Blade’s win. They put a lot of emphasis on it along with Keichi Okabe tracks. Graphically, I feel Stellar Blade is cleaner but Ronin is an open world so it depends on how big Stellar Blade is.

Subjectively, I have a soft spot for Stellar Blade with how it feels like it directly goes against the current western gaming climate. Ronin is more about history so I doubt there would be like a huge surprise storywise.

Both ips have a huge potential but Ronin is a lot more mainstream and is more palatable to the general audience. Stellar on the other hand feels like it would be cult hit and would amass a loyal dedicated fanbase if they nail it. I guess for comparison, it would be like NieR Automata vs Ghost of Tsushima.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don’t think either will be mind blowing, but I think that Stellar Blade at least looks like the better game of the two.

StueyDuck

Umm I was talking about big caliber games.

A lot of non-korean showelware games are also crap, so...

They made only 2 big games in the past years and they are both pretty famous and praised (P more tham the diablo clone).

I don't expect stellar blade to have better combat than nioh2 of course, but i saw the combat in ronin and it looks just weightless with a lot of sliding, stellar blade just look better to me combat wise.
It's a known quantity vs a unknown quantity.

I'll wait for the demo, but like most Korean games I have physically played like crossfire and black dessert and even lies of p I'm expecting stellar Blade to just play like a middling nier with tons of jank and many copied elements from other games.

It looks flashy but so do all korean games, is there more though that remains to be seen

Last edited:

ssringo

stellar blade just look better to me combat wise.
It also looks better animation wise. And I'm not talking about jiggling booty. There were several times watching Ronin previews that I grimaced at animations or what looked to be a bad transitional animation.

GymWolf

It's a known quantity vs a unknown quantity.

I'll wait for the demo, but like most Korean games I have physically played like crossfire and black dessert and even lies of p I'm expecting stellar Blade to just play like a middling nier with tons of jank and many copied elements from other games.

It looks flashy but so do all korean games, is there more though that remains to be seen
I thought automata was pretty mid gameplay wise even if some people love to idolize that game, not much variety and probably one of the more underwhelming platinum combat systems, i hope stellar blade is gonna be sensibly better and more varied tbh, i'm gonna be disappointed if automata level is what we get.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I voted Stellar Blade for 2 reasons: it had no competition and is probably smaller in scope so the lack of open world will make it more consistent. The fact that we have a demo ready with a month to spare is a good point too. Ronin will be bigger, probably with a better gameplay and more depth but it will to me really suffer to the comparison with Ghost of Tsushima.

e0n

Better graphics means very little in critic reviews. Looking at the preview footage, RotR has greater environmental variety, more complex combat. and likely a more interesting story. I see it as 80-83 RotR, 75-80 Stellar Blade.

dEvAnGeL

Ronin. Review outlets will dock points for an “indecent and obscene” main character. I’m probably getting both.

Last edited:

Aion002

Reviewers are stupid.

I believe that Ronin will end up being a better game (for me) because I know what to expect from Team Ninja, while on Stellar.... Well, I dunno. The MC is hot though and I know that's enough to annoy some people, which will probably affect their judgment, so Ronin will probably end up getting a better score.

tmlDan

Ronin because its Team Ninja and Nioh is rated really high.

Stellar will be low 80's or high 70's.

Not sure why Stellar has more votes when its an unproven studio.

Pelta88

Ronin. Reviewers will find SB problematic due to the depiction of the protag and knock of points as a result.

With that in mind, SB in comparison to Nier's Meta is more revealing.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Ronin because its Team Ninja and Nioh is rated really high.

Stellar will be low 80's or high 70's.

Not sure why Stellar has more votes when it’s an unproven studio.

Maybe Stellar Blade is the game most of the members here WANT and HOPE is the better game. But when it comes down to it, the question I posed is what we think professional critics will like better

Ronin will score better critically because it seems to be chasing all the right trends. Open world, action RPG, souls-like. It also doesn't appeal to the male gaze like Stellar Blade does, and we all know that appealing to men may as well be appealing to Hitler in current year. SB will score better with users though. As much as people don't want to admit it, the male gaze brings male $ as well, and that's what a game really needs.

tmlDan

Maybe Stellar Blade is the game most of the members here WANT and HOPE is the better game. But when it comes down to it, the question I posed is what we think professional critics will like better
Likely! im gonna preorder it, i just haven't seen enough to understand why it could get a higher score.

It certainly looks better graphically.

Lupin25

Stellar Blade.

Ronin will be great, but looks more derivative of their previous work, with a few inspirations from known franchises.

Both should score above an 80, at the very least though.

Aenima

Even with the feminist reviewers that will drop a point or two from Stellar Blade, because sexy girl with sexy outfits = "PrObLeMaTic", from what i seen Stellar Blade will probably still review better.

Last edited:

GrayChild

The one that comes to PC first.

Also, Stellar Blade, even though the worthless journos will screech to high-heaven about "muh sexualization".

Boss Mog

If we're talking critic score the I think Rise of the Ronin will score higher (prediction 76 average) only because the woke "journalists" will penalize Stellar Blade for having a hot female lead who wears skimpy suits. I predict 73 average for Stellar Blade.

Top Bottom