• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

IRxteQx.jpg

Fucking finally.. The RNG and technical issues made me doubt my existence.

Game is super fun nevertheless. Hope Housemarque get better and better.

Last edited:

skit_data

Sun fragment in Abyssal Scar didn't spawn or I missed it 😔 I thought I was very thorough. Goddamn.
I found it on the last ”sidepath” outside the boss room.

I had to look at the map and there I saw a area with a chest that I hadn’t explored. I think it was the path on the right hand side of the door leading to Ophion. It had one of those orbs that you have to shoot and it reveals a path up to the chest and the sunface fragment.

Got the trophy bug for all the house sequences and the ‘true’ ending which is annoying. Don’t think I’ll go for platinum unfortunately, don’t think I could handle the trophies not popping again!
I heard on Reddit that disable online playing and restart PS5 helped fix some bugged trophies. For the true ending I think you can beat the final boss again to trigger the scene.

kyoji

Managed to finish the game last night.... Found the last 2 bosses surprisingly easy but this is overall a hard game, Found it to be a very good shooter, controls were absolutely on point.

Voice acting of the main char is very good and a wierd setting, Solid game hope there's a bigger better sequel.
Yeah i love selenes voice actor too shes very good! Harry Kruger is a great story writer as well, im a fan!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I had a terrific machine gun, decided to swap it with a new weapon to check it out, a mini boss immediately spawned and the new sucked so bad I died. Damnit.

Going to attempt a new run after work.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I found it on the last ”sidepath” outside the boss room.

I had to look at the map and there I saw a area with a chest that I hadn’t explored. I think it was the path on the right hand side of the door leading to Ophion. It had one of those orbs that you have to shoot and it reveals a path up to the chest and the sunface fragment.

Gonna try it on my next run. I think I know what you mean. Thanks.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Guys make a choice for me.

Should i get Demon Souls or Returnal?
There is just on correct answer to this.

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

To be more serious...

They are vastly different so either wait for a sale if you can't afford both or tell us more about you preferences.

Both look good but Demon's Souls looks better.
Both are highly replayable but in different ways.
DS through build variety and the different playstyles that you get with this while the core gameplay in Returnal is so good that you just want to keep playing.
DualSense integration and the use of the tempest engine are exceptional in both.
GitGud for both!

I hope that this will give you a better insight. Just ask anything you want that will help you to make your decision.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I've just realised that if you shoot the statues with glowing yellow eyes, they drop obolites.
And they respawn from time to time.

Later you can shoot some "eggs" that are part of the environment, for obolites.
If you can maintain adrenaline level 5, which will grant you 50% more obolites, all those things should also drop more.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Me when this trophy popped.

qiodzkD.jpg

giphy.gif

What an incredible and often brutal experience! I've never done rouge lites and biome 3 kicked the shit outta me but I stuck with it. I know there's an alternate ending but I'll get back to that at a later date. Why? Because I now have a backlog. I only play one game at time so my Next game will be Ratchet and after that, Res Village.

I appreciate everyone who dropped some knowledge in this thread. It was appreciated greatly.

Side note: "Did you beat Returnal?" has become a question of merit in my gaming circles. And rightly fucking so!

Last edited:
I had a terrific machine gun, decided to swap it with a new weapon to check it out, a mini boss immediately spawned and the new sucked so bad I died. Damnit.

Going to attempt a new run after work.
Was it hollowseeker? Gun becomes really op when you unlock some powerful traits on later levels. Comes really handy in biome 6. For first three biomes you should probably avoid using it though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Was it hollowseeker? Gun becomes really op when you unlock some powerful traits on later levels. Comes really handy in biome 6. For first three biomes you should probably avoid using it though.

Sorry I can't recall the name, but it was auto fire, sporadically fired several auto-seeking projectiles, and the alt-fire was a massively damaging grenade (edit: grenade barrage? All I know is when I alt-fired shit went boom). It was awesome. I miss it.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
So I have a few trophy's for the surveys left, but I was wondering what might be good dlc if they ever got around to expanding the game? I would be interested if they added a third spawn area. A third iteration of the jungle, third version of the desert/temple and a completely new final area. Would be great if it came with 3 new guns and this time I really want to kill that last big thing. Biggest disappointment is not getting to kill that last big creature!!!

Con-Z-epT

So I have a few trophy's for the surveys left, but I was wondering what might be good dlc if they ever got around to expanding the game? I would be interested if they added a third spawn area. A third iteration of the jungle, third version of the desert/temple and a completely new final area. Would be great if it came with 3 new guns and this time I really want to kill that last big thing. Biggest disappointment is not getting to kill that last big creature!!!
Would be cool. Call it act 4 and put in some new consumables as well as some new audiologs or cutscenes.

kyoji

I bought today, just give a little try ( I am playing Last 2 for first time) and the music, the sound, the atmosphere, the gameplay. This gonna be a wild trip.
take your time dont worry about progression so much as learning what every thing does/means, also read any items you choose to pickup/not pickup and experiment with everything. Once you learn how the game plays out and THE RISK TO REWARD ratio (you dont need to open every loot chest or pick up every item/parasite) then you will progress. My best advice is dont handicap yourself by picking up a bunch of malignant items unless you can cleanse them with ether or You can control your own fate in how the malfunction is handled, you will come across plenty of weapons and items that dont impose malfunctions on you.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

Once u get the hand of some items, the gameplay becomes a lot more manageable regarding the perma death.

There are some weapons that are very op, like spitmaw with slug shots, or electropylon driver.

TrebleShot

Pffft not sure I’ll ever finish this game I love it and enjoy the loop very much but I tend to plough a good amount of time in then die just as I reach the base of the mountain in biome 2 and just turn it off.
How do I traverse those orange glowy grapple point things I’m guessing there’s a grapple hook at some point.

tommib

Pffft not sure I’ll ever finish this game I love it and enjoy the loop very much but I tend to plough a good amount of time in then die just as I reach the base of the mountain in biome 2 and just turn it off.
How do I traverse those orange glowy grapple point things I’m guessing there’s a grapple hook at some point.
You can easily reach the base of the mountain by avoiding all the center areas. You’re struggling with the severed? Don’t be afraid of it. Let it come to you and just dash away when it’s about to attack. Run away from it into the open fields and shoot. You can use the vast area of the desert for control.

Top Bottom