• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Can anyone help me with how to get up to the really high platform in the central room of Biome 5? It seems to have a teleportation gate by it which I assume is connected to the gate right where you start in the biome. That gate is never active when you're first there and it doesn't look like there's any way to get back there once you drop into the main room.
I really don't know which one you mean. Can you explain it better or post a screenshot?

decisions

That is a huge mistake. You have to be very throughout with you search and not rush through it get everything. Take your time!
Well, I don’t speedrun through the biomes I still need things in.

I deliberately go through every side door and branch of the main path, getting about 1 Cipher every other time I do this. It’s just not worth the time sink for me.

engstra

I really don't know which one you mean. Can you explain it better or post a screenshot?
Ah figured out how to add the screenshot! So it's that blue gate all the way at the top

Con-Z-epT

Well, I don’t speedrun through the biomes I still need things in.

I deliberately go through every side door and branch of the main path, getting about 1 Cipher every other time I do this. It’s just not worth the time sink for me.
Whatever suits you. I was under the impression that you rush through the biomes just to get it done.
But it seems that you do your best to track down the missing collectibles.

No need to force yourself to do things you don't like. Playing games needs to be fun!

2AdEPT

Can anyone help me with how to get up to the really high platform in the central room of Biome 5? It seems to have a teleportation gate by it which I assume is connected to the gate right where you start in the biome. That gate is never active when you're first there and it doesn't look like there's any way to get back there once you drop into the main room.
I thnk I know what you mean as there is a piece of land that shows on the map directly accoss from the long ledge you can drop into the hole from. I have never gone there and as near as I can tell its an unused portion of the game. Maybe they will use it for DLC? Same as that unused door in the Helios crash room.

Last edited:

engstra

I thnk I know what you mean as there is a piece of land that shows on the map directly accoss from the long ledge you can drop into the hole from. I have never gone there and as near as I can tell its an unused portion of the game. Maybe they will use it for DLC? Same as that unused door in the Helios crash room.
yea I think we're talking about the same area. If on that ledge and facing towards the path you drop down from when entering Biome 5, if zooming far out on the map there's a doorway really high up

2AdEPT

the things I am noticing from the patch are nerfs of strong helping items....two way radio only 10% max, havent seen adrenaline leech since before patch. carry ing obolites for that one item nerfed from 800 max and 25% max to now carry 600 max for 15%.

Think they got rid of the voidbeam glitch. :(

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Lo and behold, it finally is free from the Sony tax and is actually a good price. I finally bought it.
Again, if you don't want all games to be priced at $70, don't buy games at $70.

Josemayuste

Would like to know what's the consensus about the game around here, I love roguelikes, and this one seems a little bit inspired by Metroid too, is it any good?

Con-Z-epT

Would like to know what's the consensus about the game around here, I love roguelikes, and this one seems a little bit inspired by Metroid too, is it any good?
You just got to dig through 63 pages to find out. :messenger_winking:

Most frequent posters in this thread seem to like or love the game.
Easy to learn and hard to master or things like "gid gud" apply here.

If you you want to pick up the game and are unsure about certain aspects of it just ask us.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is not a price drop. It is a one/two day sale for Prime Day (at least in the US).
As always... US gets cheaper stuff and they earn more.
Oculus is also 300usd there and 350 fucking euro here. 70usd games? 90usd here... and Average income here is below 1000usd :p
but fuck it. I am a fucking engineer and don't have kids. if I can't afford Returnal in Poland... then nobody her can. I will get it next month

Last edited:

JeloSWE

As always... US gets cheaper stuff and they earn more.
Oculus is also 300usd there and 350 fucking euro here. 70usd games? 90usd here... and Average income here is below 1000usd :p
but fuck it. I am a fucking engineer and don't have kids. if I can't afford Returnal in Poland... then nobody her can. I will get it next month
If there is any consolation, amerikans have to spend part of their income on insurances that many other countries doesn't have to.

Cobenzl

I found a little Resogun man hiding behind a column when I was in a triangle room today. Nice little Easter egg - is there any point to these guys?

2AdEPT

Have they said anything about a save mechanic yet?
I agree they need to find a way to cut down on crashes and updates wrecking runs. Saw a streamer last night who got really good RNG and was on his fisrt playthrough, had killed hyperion first try and clearred biome 5 and 6 on the same run, and destroying OPhion with only 25% of the 3rd phsae bar to go....game crashes on stream! He was speechless, chat didnt know what to say.....he was streaming for 10-hours straight and to have it end like that and not see the ending etc was hard to swallow for everyone.

Notwithstanding, the in game mechanic of not having cloud saves is important. Even though I know I should not save scum if I had the chance I would feel tempted. I jsut think they need to find a way to allow progress not to be lost somehow and differentiate between save scumming and illegitimate crashes? Is that even possible?

Dr Bass

:messenger_smirking:

blood1.jpg

Nice, that's all I need to read, thanks.
Returnal is a 10/10 for me. Loved it. Classic. And the story IMO is well done, reminds me of Silent Hill 2 a bit in the way it's extremely character driven, psychologically based and frankly extremely, extremely dark if you look at what it's trying to get across.

Coincidentally enough I am listening to the soundtrack right now as I type this and I've listened to it many many times. The game is extremely well done.

Can be frustratingly hard unless you're Bo_hazem. I nearly gave up I think three times. Then after I finished it once I beat the entire game, all six biomes, in a single run without dying. I could absolutely feel how far I had come.

Just talking about it makes me want to go play it again. :messenger_beaming:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I agree they need to find a way to cut down on crashes and updates wrecking runs. Saw a streamer last night who got really good RNG and was on his fisrt playthrough, had killed hyperion first try and clearred biome 5 and 6 on the same run, and destroying OPhion with only 25% of the 3rd phsae bar to go....game crashes on stream! He was speechless, chat didnt know what to say.....he was streaming for 10-hours straight and to have it end like that and not see the ending etc was hard to swallow for everyone.

Notwithstanding, the in game mechanic of not having cloud saves is important. Even though I know I should not save scum if I had the chance I would feel tempted. I jsut think they need to find a way to allow progress not to be lost somehow and differentiate between save scumming and illegitimate crashes? Is that even possible?

Probably not, but I think they should care about save scumming. What would they want more? For 5% of gamers to beat their game and keep their hard core rules and integrity? Or have 50% of gamers beat the game and give in a little?

Used-ID

I don't really think they need to do saves.

It's not like the game is long. Each level I feel is the right length (30-60 minutes), and the portals to jump levels are located fairly close to the start. Only reason to go through a level once you beat it is to:
A) collect stuff for trophies
B) poke at RNGesus for items for later levels

And it's not like you're losing progress when you die, since the only progress are the weapon trait levels - and those are saved behind the scenes.

I mean, Returnal is no NES/SMS/GameBoy/Lynx/Genesis/SNES/TG16 length game...

Zimmy68

Not digging it so far. Too many confusing mechanics thrown at you early. Too many different pick ups that I don't know what they do.
I'm very early on but I wish they had save anytime easy mode for those that want it.

BTW, I also felt the same about Prey and Control when I first played and they ended up being my favorite games at the time.

Con-Z-epT

Not digging it so far. Too many confusing mechanics thrown at you early. Too many different pick ups that I don't know what they do.
I'm very early on but I wish they had save anytime easy mode for those that want it.
Give it a bit time. What exactly confuses you?

It is a lot of fun to discover all the consumables. They are meant to be used so don't keep them. You can later on when you know the best use for them.
BTW, I also felt the same about Prey and Control when I first played and they ended up being my favorite games at the time.
See, you already have the perfect mindset.

tommib

Guys, I'm getting hardcore withdrawal symptoms after getting the platinum. All games are boring me to death. Can't stand playing more than 30 minutes of anything. It reminds me of finishing Demon's Souls back in 2009. What got me out of this post-masterpiece depression at the time was Bayonetta. Any recommendations? I've finished all the other Housemarque games already. The only thing I'm looking forward to is Metroid Dread and Elden Ring. I have a huge backlog but can't get into anything. I need help, urgently.

[Sigma]

Guys, I'm getting hardcore withdrawal symptoms after getting the platinum. All games are boring me to death. Can't stand playing more than 30 minutes of anything. It reminds me of finishing Demon's Souls back in 2009. What got me out of this post-masterpiece depression at the time was Bayonetta. Any recommendations? I've finished all the other Housemarque games already. The only thing I'm looking forward to is Metroid Dread and Elden Ring. I have a huge backlog but can't get into anything. I need help, urgently.
Sadly idunno what to tell you, I went through this after Platinunming this game too. I just quit gaming for a little bit because I kept turning on different games only turn them right back off lol after a few minutes. Eventually I got over it but it took weeks.

DeepSpace5D

I feel you and sadly I’m in the same boat currently. It’s going to sound like blasphemy to some around here but I cannot properly get into Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart after coming from Returnal. It’s a charming game and great fun, but it feels so slow in comparison to Returnal that I can’t play more than one planet at a time before feeling bored with it. I’m about halfway through and I feel like I’m forcing myself at this point. The gameplay in Returnal is just sublime.

decisions

Get Ninja Gaiden Master Collection if you’ve never played them.

tommib

Sadly idunno what to tell you, I went through this after Platinunming this game too. I just quit gaming for a little bit because I kept turning on different games only turn them right back off lol after a few minutes. Eventually I got over it but it took weeks.

I feel you and sadly I’m in the same boat currently. It’s going to sound like blasphemy to some around here but I cannot properly get into Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart after coming from Returnal. It’s a charming game and great fun, but it feels so slow in comparison to Returnal that I can’t play more than one planet at a time before feeling bored with it. I’m about halfway through and I feel like I’m forcing myself at this point. The gameplay in Returnal is just sublime.
The pain is real.
Get Ninja Gaiden Master Collection if you’ve never played them.
That's actually a good tip. Merci!

Con-Z-epT

Check Platinum Games.

Have you played Vanquish? Really good gameplay especially on higher difficulties.

slidekick-1494330643_5j6f.gif

tommib

Check Platinum Games.

Have you played Vanquish? Really good gameplay especially on higher difficulties.

slidekick-1494330643_5j6f.gif
True story, that was my first thought: going back to bayonetta and vanquish but I’ve finished them both in hard. Twice. I’ll check the ninja gaidens. Never played them.

tommib

The gameplay just reminds me so much of Quake 1996. Which I played and played and played. Returnal is by far my game of the year. And I pity those who laugh at my conclusion.

Con-Z-epT

True story, that was my first thought: going back to bayonetta and vanquish but I’ve finished them both in hard. Twice. I’ll check the ninja gaidens. Never played them.
I knew you were a man of taste!

Have you play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? I would also recommend that.

Also please report back when you play Ninja Gaiden since i consider to play it myself and i'm not sure yet.

Top Bottom