• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

2AdEPT

Rather than start right back up again, I used the opportunity of my inopportune "crash" back to Atropos to do some video editing on share factory, at least these videos are proof of my amazing build which I inched around to try to keep. I should have entered the menu screens at some point so I could remember exactly what I had....Im sure Ill move on soon LOL. You can see in the nemesis video that the people who are quitting in area 3 (in addition to watching Bo's video and using tips poseted here) just have to be patient until you get a health bar a mile long and what you dont see is at least 40% protection if not 50 or higher....well you do see it indirectly as I could purposely stand in and take fire from the boss and only a sliver of health would be taken off. This build got an extra 10-15% more protection while alt/fire is recharging. This doesnt show up on the stats page but when arent you recharging alt fire if not in hairy situations?

Oviously these videos are better than the Twitch version uploaded to you tube but I still didnt do the 4k thing like Bo yet. I cant seem to find a way to select any better than 2160...what gives, is it my crappy TV which I am sure doestn have "true" 4K?

Anyway these are straight 1080 60 FPS and didnt take long to render given they are relatively short, obviously the straight from Ps5 version does not include the webcam so we'll just forego having to see my reactions for better visual quality (the Twitch one sucked TBH):

tommib

Gold Member
Really happy for HouseMarque to see this kind of player response :). Did preorder it, but have been unable to start it yet (not a lot of gaming time and titles I had started that ought to be finished first), but all I am seeing and reading tells me these devs deserved my £64 or whatever it was :D.
Don't start until the next patch. Crashes are still a thing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Really happy for HouseMarque to see this kind of player response :). Did preorder it, but have been unable to start it yet (not a lot of gaming time and titles I had started that ought to be finished first), but all I am seeing and reading tells me these devs deserved my £64 or whatever it was :D.

One of the reasons that made me beat the game fast, while not intending to, is watching all the previews prior to release. Came in and it all felt familiar, also being good and patient in games in general. I honestly don't see Returnal as a really hard game, more like moderate/decent with bosses being easier than what I'd like.

If they made it a "regular" game it would've got much more content and depth and they could've pushed the AI to be more aggressive and hard.

Last edited:
Just finished Returnal. Struggled with Biome 5 challenge room for a few sessions. I wound up with a near perfect combo of regeneration, weapon damage, defense and consumables. Then finished biome 6 in one very easy run. I slayed the final boss without hardly taking damage.

I loved the game. The art direction, the sound, the subtlety of the narrative creeping in at the right times, the haptics, the challenge - all pretty great. Can’t wait to see what they do for add-ons or sequels. Bravo!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
No one understands shit even after Act.3. It's probably being vague for future DLC or sequel, which is still a big negative and think they didn't do well story wise making it too loose.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

2AdEPT

LOL when the game "crashes" you also dont get any progress on boss fights..have to Hyperion over even though I spent the ether on both areas for the reconstructor...thank Goodness its a great experience. Cant jsut run to the portal though and have to get the friggen keys again :messenger_pouting: i guess the benefit of doing it over is perhpas recording it and NOT looking like a noob for a change LOL. MIght actually concentrate on getting the alt/fire cooldown and at least make it look like Im aiming AT the boss not into space with auto aim on "HIGH."

I actually agree that the bosses could be harder as a noob like me at shooters has no business beating bosses first try...you should definitely do these knida games blind if you can. Couldnt hep it on Phrike and Ixion as I didnt want to lose progress early on.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

So I couldn’t stay away.

I fired it up again but this time with a different strategy. Don’t go through both Biomes 1 and 2 before 3 because thinking that a bunch of stat buffs will save you won’t work. Just go through 1 to get the integrity increase and whatever else you can. The weapon proficiency doesn’t change THAT much if you skip straight ahead so no need to really worry about that.

Second, focus on dodging first, shooting second. There is so much benefit to just avoiding getting hit in this game that once you understand that it really helps. That might sound trite but it’s true. From the fact that resins can go towards increasing max integrity, to keeping your adrenaline high, so you can gain proficiency and orbilites faster. And do more damage of course.

So every area I would go in, I would have my evasion plan ready.

So first shot in Biome 3 with this new approach I not only got past where I was generally stuck, I got to the boss, and for him down to the middle of phase 2. But he felt beatable. I kept going and was able to beat him shortly.

It felt awesome.

I just started goofing around in biome 4 thinking I would stop there, but I found myself playing through it. And ended up beating it first try. The boss got me down to just one or two hits left, but instead of panicking, I focused on dodging and was able to pull it off :)

So now I am on Biome 5 and this game is feeling very doable again. Will maybe give it more of a try tomorrow. I am a bit surprised at how these biomes don’t feel quite the same as the first three. Almost like levels with color swaps in a way. Maybe once I go through more of 5 and 6 I won’t feel that way.

But I’m glad I gave the game another shot with my new direction. It’s a hell of a game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Shmunter Shmunter just finished biome 2 (fresh jump, only collected free 10% protection on the way and found other free loot and ignored them) and the boss. Tried to be 100% thorough but one key missing didn't make me open one optional door (blue) which is usually loot. Anyway the level took me around 56min thorough gameplay and exploration, and then another 6-7 minutes for the boss so it's 2 videos. Seems like you really don't need to waste your time grinding in older biome, loot seems to be good enough.

Also let's leave the review thread sleep and continue here. Video is being uploaded and with how sluggish youtube is expect it to be ready in 4K HDR within 2 days (both). 56min was 20.8GB (size changes, it's not parallel with time but with data inside), deleting it after the upload from PS5.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Shmunter Shmunter just finished biome 2 (fresh jump, only collected free 10% protection on the way and found other free loot and ignored them) and the boss. Tried to be 100% thorough but one key missing didn't make me open one optional door (blue) which is usually loot. Anyway the level took me around 56min thorough gameplay and exploration, and then another 6-7 minutes for the boss so it's 2 videos. Seems like you really don't need to waste your time grinding in older biome, loot seems to be good enough.

Also let's leave the review thread sleep and continue here. Video is being uploaded and with how sluggish youtube is expect it to be ready in 4K HDR within 2 days (both). 56min was 20.8GB (size changes, it's not parallel with time but with data inside), deleting it after the upload from PS5.
Far out, don’t know how you do it. Looking forward to the vids.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Far out, don’t know how you do it. Looking forward to the vids.

You'll see even the 1st video I posted that I'm very thorough, no rushing. Next might be 3rd biome, fresh start as well. But I'm playing AC Valhalla's DLC currently ;). If you see my gameplay it's nothing special, just be cautious and it's fairly easy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No one understands shit even after Act.3.
Actually, the stuff you're seeing and experiencing in the whole first run through the game... you can tell what it tries to tell you, but you won't get all answers right away which I think Housemarque did on purpose and it's a good thing.
It's probably being vague for future DLC or sequel
It could be the case, yes and I really hope they''ll make DLCs with new bioms to explore, new weapons, new permanent gear, data cubes, glyphs to find etc. etc. Also, you're not making Metroid game without Magmoor Caverns / Phazon Mines / Sky Temple-like bioms or something completely unique yet recognizable. I'll buy DLC (let alone sequel) for this game instantly and without even thinking about it, unless it'll be some kind of boss rush mode or challenge rooms separate from the main game (same way you access daily challenges) - I really could not care less about this stuff tbh.
which is still a big negative and think they didn't do well story wise making it too loose.
Completely disagree with you here. Story is really not that important in a game like this and expecting that everything will be explained to you by the end is... well, like setting yourself up for disappointment. I've already gone through the first run and got the mid-game ending, can't wait to see what the game holds for me next.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Actually, the stuff you're seeing and experiencing in the whole first run through the game... you can tell what it tries to tell you, but you won't get all answers right away which I think Housemarque did on purpose and it's a good thing.

It could be the case, yes and I really hope they''ll make DLCs with new bioms to explore, new weapons, new permanent gear, data cubes, glyphs to find etc. etc. Also, you're not making Metroid game without Magmoor Caverns / Phazon Mines / Sky Temple-like bioms or something completely unike yet recognizable. I'll buy DLC (let alone sequel) for this game instantly and without even thinking about it.

Completely disagree with you here. Story is really not that important in a game like this and expecting that everything will be explained to you by the end is... well, like setting yourself up for disappointment. I've already gone through the first run and got the mid-game ending, can't wait to see what the game holds for me next.

I respect your opinion, although had a blast with the game, but finishing in half a day of release isn't fun. Act.3 is just a recycle, they should've offered 3 other biomes.

I'm not a roguelike/lite fan, I don't play these games but Returnal was more like a middle ground to me.

-----------------

Shmunter Shmunter youtube will take more than 2 days though.

16211589511766464186191728531360.jpg

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Act.3 is just a recycle
I would't personally call it that. You can't access all areas and find everything during you first run through the game, you can't access the first 3 bioms after you killed the 3rd boss. There's plenty of reasons to play through the game again, beyond just getting a true ending (if you can even call it that).
they should've offered 3 other biomes.
We'll see if great reception from both player and critics will be good enough for them to do DLCs, which are not boss rush mode or stupid challenges you'll access via onboard terminal outside of the main game. We also don't know yet how well the game sold within the first month.
finishing in half a day of release isn't fun
That's understandable IF you can do that. Personally, I've spent 42 hours during my first run cuz I like to play games slowly, explore / unlock / find everything I possibly can etc.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would't personally call it that. You can't access all areas and find everything during you first run through the game, you can't access the first 3 bioms after you killed the 3rd boss. There's plenty of reasons to play through the game again, beyond just getting a true ending (if you can even call it that).

We'll see if great reception from both player and critics will be good enough for them to do DLCs, which are not boss rush mode or stupid challenges you'll access via onboard terminal outside of the main game. We also don't know yet how well the game sold within the first month.

That's understandable IF you can do that. Personally, I've spent 42 hours during my first run cuz I like to play games slowly, explore / unlock / find everything I possibly can etc.

Man, I never rush my games. I always go optional/side quest before main mission, even with Returnal. So far 1st biome completely wiped out in less than 1 hour, 2 biome with a fresh start also around 1 hour only one optional door is inaccessible because no key to pick, that's one problem with RNG. I've even upgraded my blade to break a shield with loot at the very beginning, when went there and broke the shield it was empty! It's all recorded (2nd biome video, not ready).

You can skip to watch at the end and see the map. I have all traversal perks now.

You just need to understand that I'm talking to you as someone who doesn't replay his games anymore (since infamous 2 on PS3 for the evil playthrough) and can't stomach replaying the same thing. Some rooms/order changing is nice as well and keeps it slightly fresh. Gameplay is just crazy good but the game isn't challenging enough to appreciate it more in the biggest chunk of it.

This doesn't mean that you're wrong or I'm right, just explaining my perspective and I agree that your perspective is solid.
-------

Shmunter Shmunter If you want the video quickly even if it looks muddy I'll post it when it's at least 1080p@60fps.

image.png

Last edited:

Shmunter

Man, I never rush my games. I always go optional/side quest before main mission, even with Returnal. So far 1st biome completely wiped out in less than 1 hour, 2 biome with a fresh start also around 1 hour only one optional door is inaccessible because no key to pick, that's one problem with RNG. I've even upgraded my blade to break a shield with loot at the very beginning, when went there and broke the shield it was empty! It's all recorded (2nd biome video, not ready).

You can skip to watch at the end and see the map. I have all traversal perks now.

You just need to understand that I'm talking to you as someone who doesn't replay his games anymore (since infamous 2 on PS3 for the evil playthrough) and can't stomach replaying the same thing. Some rooms/order changing is nice as well and keeps it slightly fresh. Gameplay is just crazy good but the game isn't challenging enough to appreciate it more in the biggest chunk of it.

This doesn't mean that you're wrong or I'm right, just explaining my perspective and I agree that your perspective is solid.
-------

Shmunter Shmunter If you want the video quickly even if it looks muddy I'll post it when it's at least 1080p@60fps.

image.png

Not in any rush 👍🏻

N30RYU

Gold Member
Is there a shortcut to the Biome6 final boss other than doing all the underwater area using the hidden platforms (avoiding the elite enemy)??? Got a 20% defense debuff getting the final boss key in my run... and I don't know if there's a better shortcut other than don't need to get the key anymore

Last edited:

beck_

After completing the game and again for the secret ending, here is my take on the story..

So whats going on with the car crash and who is involved.. The woman driving the car is your mom (Thea), the kid in the back is your little brother 'Helios'. Selene who is obsessed with space is playing outside in an astronaut costume and is in middle of road, mom has to swerve swiping Selene and crashing into water.

Helios dies, Thea and Selene survive but Thea blames Selene for the crash.

I believe Selene was traumatised from all of this and grows up taking medication, eventually having a mental break that puts her into a coma. This is where she is experiencing the time loop of being the scout on Atropos. You notice that alot of the biomes/creatures are representations of Selenes child hood and the crash.

Con-Z-epT

Is there a shortcut to the Biome6 final boss other than doing all the underwater area using the hidden platforms (avoiding the elite enemy)??? Got a 20% defense debuff getting the final boss key in my run... and I don't know if there's a better shortcut other than don't need to get the key anymore
No i don't think so. You have to do about 70-80% of biome 6 to reach the boss.

Shmunter

So what’s happened to the asynchronous multiplayer where you find other astronauts bodies? Have not seen a single one.

Also, only saw the floating ball of goo only once before patches?!?

tommib

Gold Member
So what’s happened to the asynchronous multiplayer where you find other astronauts bodies? Have not seen a single one.

Also, only saw the floating ball of goo only once before patches?!?
The ball does reappear very infrequently. Multiplayer was included in the rotten patch that deleted my fucking save file. Patch recalled so no idea when that's coming. I think it's going to take some time.

Con-Z-epT

It’s so crazy how it is possibly completely dependent on the random spawning of certain items. The hours spread can be anywhere from 20 or 25 hours to 100. Insane!
Yup it's wild. Funny since 95% of the collectables came while playing the game and shortly after i finished it the second time.

I looked up a video of biome 2 with a room that i never had. I'm a 100% sure it will be there.

Pretty much at the end.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm glad I don't care about things like story audio logs or platinume trophies... that stuff being RNG is pretty hilarious.

Does collecting those things have any effect on gameplay?

This game sounds insanely fun to paly to me, but waiting to see if some of the quality of life issues get improved.

Used-ID

Rainy day here near Houston and my auto-immune hepatitis has decided to rob me of my strength/endurance.

Biome 4 & 5 don't stand a chance.

Dr Bass

This is the trick of any "bullet hell" type game; also the trick for being successful at most Diablo games/clones (which in some senses, are bullet hell games.)

Yeah I haven't really played these yet (unless you count Gradius way way back in the day perhaps haha). This could be considered my first serious one. So I didn't really fully understand the benefits of just not getting hit until I started thinking about resins building up your max life, the benefits of maintaining adrenaline at level 5 etc etc. If you can just "not get hit" you can dominate this game. So someone who is good at that won't think this game is hard. Again, that sounds trite because it basically sounds axiomatic, but in an era of shooters where if you don't get hit your health just regenerates, or games that really hold your hand, the relative importance of not getting hit is just much higher in this game.

engstra

Managed to complete a full run through all 6 biomes and killing all bosses. Feels goooooood.
Although hadn't done all the house scenes before getting to Biome 4 so was only able to pick up the sun fragments for the last 2 biomes. Guess I need to play through it again. How do the fragments work, do they spawn randomly on each level and then just need to defeat final boss after that to get the true ending?

FrankWza

My problem is I love going into the locked doors or challenge arenas lol
If you’re trying to progress, biome 3 is the worst time to do a challenge room. Once you’ve made it that far you’re a boss fight away from a checkpoint. You should be plenty leveled up by then. Save it for act3. Also, use the doors and grapple points to create some distance. Once you go back for act 3 you’ll have a weapon that completely neutralizes almost anything that flies

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
End credits are rolling. Finally finished it, without any hiccups. But it feels like I'm only scratching the surface regarding the story and content. Easily my GOTY so far. Amazing game, despite some technical flaws that made the experience more frustrating than it had to.

Top Bottom