• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

dcmk7

Banned
Completed this earlier. Really enjoyed it, the action and gunplay are nigh on perfect.

Really struggled at the start, took ages getting out of the first biome, I think wasn't paying much attention to stats buffs.

Once that clicked and get a good weapon, the game gets much easier.

Have just gone through the first 3 biomes again, trying collect some of these easter eggs.

Hope we get a sequel.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I've really been enjoying this game and mostly avoiding this thread because I don't want any spoilers, but has anyone been running into a bug with the electric pylon driver where it just tanks performance after using the gun for a while? The game will be running buttery smooth even when using that weapon and then suddenly firing it cuts the frame-rate in half while the pylons are down. Switching weapons clears it up, but that gun is really fun and I would prefer to keep using it when this starts happening.

2AdEPT

Sweet! The Driver weapon is neat! Still prefer my Hollowseeker as it's much better in crowd control while still very powerful against single enemies.

My video is still processing since yesterday on youtube, only 360p available! Now I understand why Sony forces an embargo, it assures that when people watch your content it's not at 360p, but already processed at the highest possible quality.

From what I've see that was a stream quality, right? Also it's better to just delete the clips when you finish uploading them, gaming doesn't need to be archived and Youtube works like a perfect, safe cloud save as you can redownload them back again:

image.png

It downloads separately (video/audio) with this app then they get combined when completed. You need to add some files into your PC system though for it to do so but they have that explained in the firfox apps.

image.png

I'll add captions to the video so it'll be ready to share when done processing.

unknown.png
You will make me an a/v perfectionist again with this kind of talk...I am a recovering A/v-O-phile...spent thousands guitars, effects processors, on car stereo, home stereo, and at least once bought the top GPU on the market at the time .....since the "old" days I have just tried to get the 60FPS rather than worry about the resolution but now that its standard it looks like I may have to go back to days of processing and failed processings etc etc....You are right though, there is no way Im not going "cloud" over hard storage... buying your own storage and never using it in reality .....thats over the top.

I've done some tests with it and I concluded that it is very inconsistent, I wish I had the editing skills to make a video out of it, but you can test it in-game.
It seems that what determines the melee hit/miss is your camera angle rather than Selene's or the enemy's position. If the enemy is in front of you, the melee attack will usually work, but this becomes very inconsistent when the enemy is above, below or beside the camera; sometimes you'll miss the hit despite being 2 inches away from an enemy. It seems that this happens mostly with flying aliens, but I've also seen it happen against those gorilla creatures; the ray fish from Biome 1 and the flying drones from Biome 3 are the greatest offenders of this inconsistency, since in 40% of the melee attacks against them will show the animation connecting but not dealing any damage.
Melee's inconsistency can also be noticed in its range; sometimes Selene will automatically move 2 meters to hit an enemy, but sometimes will miss an enemy 2 inches away.
This can pretty often ruin your run since some combat situations require you to get close range.

Speaking of flying enemies, the drones and ray fish are very unbalanced. There are rooms in Biome 3 that can throw something like 10 of those drones + 5 kamikaze robots; I think it's almost humanly impossible to dodge everything that's thrown at you, especially because of the drones's hitbox issue and their missile attack, which can be pretty unnoticeable since it doesn't have a distinct color like other attacks. The ray fish, on the other hand, has a charge attack that sometimes makes them pass through walls or trees and hit you.

Actaully, now that you mention it, there were a couple times where I felt like I wasnt as bad a shot as I thought I was (since I suck pretty bad and have not gitgud yet) and blamed myself when I think at least a few times I lost my adrenaline when I should not have on those squid suckers in B1.

last night was rough...finally got to biome 3 and have stayed on the same character for at least 10 hours (yes I know I go ultra slow and backtrack all the time to get the best deals on using obolites and find ways to get the hidden chests etc.) My suit was 250% and protection between 45-55% depending on alt fire cool down etc.before I even got to the tower. Dont go to biome 3 unless you are gud or you have at least 34% protection...they hit hard and are cheesy themselves here! Like an absolute idiot I got greedy for obolites at a laser room that gimps dash and even though I had regen at low health I still lost my astronaut on a useless room in the end as I went in thinking the minimum health was enough owing to the regen. What saved my mood was I got the lockdown room prior to the bridge extension cleared like a boss (well I cheesed by running in circles and using electropylon to kill the big dudes while I hid outside the door. THing was there was a laser room between the shit show and door so it was still skill in my mind that i survived!!! The area 3 boss wont know what hit her later tonight!!! I ve had to kite the fricken flying frickers back one at a time and grapple away at light speed so no reason to stop now with just the tower yet to go.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You will make me an a/v perfectionist again with this kind of talk...I am a recovering A/v-O-phile...spent thousands guitars, effects processors, on car stereo, home stereo, and at least once bought the top GPU on the market at the time .....since the "old" days I have just tried to get the 60FPS rather than worry about the resolution but now that its standard it looks like I may have to go back to days of processing and failed processings etc etc....You are right though, there is no way Im not going "cloud" over hard storage... buying your own storage and never using it in reality .....thats over the top.

See for my serious work like fauna and flora I'm all in for massive storage. But for games? Really? We love games so much, but let's not give them more than they deserve. What you keep should be something more valuable, not games, something like memories of you and you beloved, and something you can use in a professional way in the future. I have a 3TB PC now (1 3.5GB/s nvme m.2 "main" and 2TB SSD SATA3) and planning to upgrade to some of the new crazy ones, at least 8TB SSD but I'm reading 30-100TB right now!

But for games 4K is already higher than the norm and you can redownload them back with ease for any kinds of editing if needed ;) PS5 makes it easy to record and upload to youtube, but youtube is having a really hard time processing the video. It's now more than 24 hours and the 1080p video isn't 100% processed although you can watch it with minor artifacts, and the 4K version is still not visible, not sure if it's because of HDR? Maybe tomorrow the video will be ready. I've filled the video with text hints and details (CC: Closed Captions) so no voice-over and you can turn it on and off and just enjoy the gameplay ;) It should help new comers and probably some hints to current players.

Won't share it until it's in its prime version. :messenger_winking_tongue:

2AdEPT

See for my serious work like fauna and flora I'm all in for massive storage. But for games? Really? We love games so much, but let's not give them more than they deserve. What you keep should be something more valuable, not games, something like memories of you and you beloved, and something you can use in a professional way in the future. I have a 3TB PC now (1 3.5GB/s nvme m.2 "main" and 2TB SSD SATA3) and planning to upgrade to some of the new crazy ones, at least 8TB SSD but I'm reading 30-100TB right now!

But for games 4K is already higher than the norm and you can redownload them back with ease for any kinds of editing if needed ;) PS5 makes it easy to record and upload to youtube, but youtube is having a really hard time processing the video. It's now more than 24 hours and the 1080p video isn't 100% processed although you can watch it with minor artifacts, and the 4K version is still not visible, not sure if it's because of HDR? Maybe tomorrow the video will be ready. I've filled the video with text hints and details (CC: Closed Captions) so no voice-over and you can turn it on and off and just enjoy the gameplay ;) It should help new comers and probably some hints to current players.

Won't share it until it's in its prime version. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Well helpful for me or not, I patiently anticipate it ..and I will watch, like and comment (positively) for sure LOL!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well helpful for me or not, I patiently anticipate it ..and I will watch, like and comment (positively) for sure LOL!

Fuck it, watch it as it is at 1080p@60fps for now, which even that is still being finalized and processed! I think by tomorrow 4K should be ready: (Turn on [CC] for comments and hints)

It's "Unlisted" now, will publish it when 4K HDR is ready ;).

Last edited:
not getting a PS5 until psvr2 is here, but couldn't resist the temptation and watched a bit a streamer play it

Ohmy, they emphasized a lot the linear runs of a rogue-lite, but game is the feel of a realistic, hardcore and modern Metroid totally there! The looks and atmosphere, isolationist scifi setting, female lead in cyber suit with powerups.

how I want this game! can't wait, possibly to play the most immersive version...

skit_data

not getting a PS5 until psvr2 is here, but couldn't resist the temptation and watched a bit a streamer play it

Ohmy, they emphasized a lot the linear runs of a rogue-lite, but game is the feel of a realistic, hardcore and modern Metroid totally there! The looks and atmosphere, isolationist scifi setting, female lead in cyber suit with powerups.

how I want this game! can't wait, possibly to play the most immersive version...
It definitely feels like playing Metroid sometimes, but it is harder, faster and much less forgiving since enemies don’t drop health all the time. I love the Metroid series and Returnal definitely scratches that itch, but in a very much more hardcore way. I’d still say its essential if you like the Metroid (especially Prime) series.

It mostly reminds me of Prime 2: Echoes by feeling slightly harder but the Biomes are very different and feels like the first Metroid Prime in terms of variation.

skit_data

Just beat the second Biome. Beat it by taking my time prepping for the boss. Also really cool how this game goes from feeling impossible to totally doable with practice. Loving it.
Good job! Yeah you can totally notice that you’re getting better and better. Really nice sense of actual skill progression, way more satisfying than most leveling system in other games.

Brace yourself for Biome 3 though, it was a pain in the ass IMO xD But that only makes it better once you make it through

2AdEPT

Good job! Yeah you can totally notice that you’re getting better and better. Really nice sense of actual skill progression, way more satisfying than most leveling system in other games.

Brace yourself for Biome 3 though, it was a pain in the ass IMO xD But that only makes it better once you make it through
Im heading in to the biome 3 boss door ....2/3 of health bar, 2 small heals, 1 big heal. Already used a full adrenaline buff....no astro but left 6 ether on the machine in area 1...hope it pays forward throught the other levels...prollly not oh well live and learn......wish me luck:

skit_data

Im heading in to the biome 3 boss door ....2/3 of health bar, 2 small heals, 1 big heal. Already used a full adrenaline buff....no astro but left 6 ether on the machine in area 1...hope it pays forward throught the other levels...prollly not oh well live and learn......wish me luck:

Ouff did you buy a reconstruction in the 1st Biome an you’re now in the 3rd? Sorry to break it to you, those Ethers are wasted :( You can only respawn in the same area you die

Edit: I learned the hard way, I bought reconstruction in Biome 1 and 2, moved on to 3 and googled it afterwards. 12 Ethers wasted.

Last edited:

McCarth

Well, somehow, someway I beat the second boss! I think my heart rate during the third phase was at an unsustainable pace... Had a shield consumable and a large vial alongside the parasite that gives a 25% chance of not using the item, and it hit an insane amount of times. I was yelling out like an idiot to myself in jubilation every time my item wasn't gone.

I also then got pretty far in the 3rd, activated the bridge and got up to a room (after a bunch of hallway laser 'puzzles' using the grapple) and was destroyed by the walking automatons who are just ridiculous. I feel like I was super close to the boss, who would've killed me anyways.

Any tips for the 3rd?

tommib

Well, somehow, someway I beat the second boss! I think my heart rate during the third phase was at an unsustainable pace... Had a shield consumable and a large vial alongside the parasite that gives a 25% chance of not using the item, and it hit an insane amount of times. I was yelling out like an idiot to myself in jubilation every time my item wasn't gone.

I also then got pretty far in the 3rd, activated the bridge and got up to a room (after a bunch of hallway laser 'puzzles' using the grapple) and was destroyed by the walking automatons who are just ridiculous. I feel like I was super close to the boss, who would've killed me anyways.

Any tips for the 3rd?
Dodge forward not backwards when you see the drones. Worked for me.

I ran as much as posible from the automatons and cheesed them with doors. It wasn’t pretty but I’m not sorry. They hit like tanks.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Any tips for the 3rd?
Stay mobile(keep your dash for lasers), keep calm, get a weapon with a high range (and possibly alt with an high range too) when you feel that you will fall there's usualy a platform you can hook to, don't get too greedy or too close during 3rd phase.

iorek21

Another 3h of my life wasted while trying to get the Scout Log 9. Man, fuck this game, this is absurd.

Besides all the problems that I’ve already mentioned in this thread, the RNG is a big “fuck you” to everyone that spent $70 on this.

/rant

SLB1904

Banned
Dodge forward not backwards when you see the drones. Worked for me.

I ran as much as posible from the automatons and cheesed them with doors. It wasn’t pretty but I’m not sorry. They hit like tanks.
This once you figure out the enemies pattern things gets easier.

fallingdove

What's the best strategy for completing the biome survey trophies? I am 9 glyphs away from completion but I haven't found any in the last two play-throughs.

How do you know what you are missing from each Biome?
When you pick up a cipher, it tells you how many you have for that biome (14/18, etc).

You can check which scout logs you're missing in your menu. It doesn't say which zone it's found in, but they're in order and you can always check online.

The PS5 activity cards also tell you how many of each you are missing.

Last edited:

kingkenny76

When you pick up a cipher, it tells you how many you have for that biome (14/18, etc).

You can check which scout logs you're missing in your menu. It doesn't say which zone it's found in, but they're in order and you can always check online.

The PS5 activity cards also tell you how many of each you are missing.
👍 Thanks

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I've really been enjoying this game and mostly avoiding this thread because I don't want any spoilers, but has anyone been running into a bug with the electric pylon driver where it just tanks performance after using the gun for a while? The game will be running buttery smooth even when using that weapon and then suddenly firing it cuts the frame-rate in half while the pylons are down. Switching weapons clears it up, but that gun is really fun and I would prefer to keep using it when this starts happening.
Got on the official discord and submitted a ticket about the pylon driver. Did no one else really get this? I've gotten it every time I get the gun now.

They wouldn't confirm if other people are reporting it, but the support person said they were "tracking the issue". Still having fun, but also looking forward to a patch.

Jebron

Just finished the second boss and was working my way through the third biome... but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be doing after I die. When I return, am I supposed to just shortcut straight to biome 3 as soon as I see it? Do people spend time going through biome's 1 & 2 to get artifacts? I want to beat the game but I feel like each time I progress to a new biome, returning means I'm playing the previous biome's all over again and it's boring as hell. What's the ideal way to progress through each biome after death?

Just finished the second boss and was working my way through the third biome... but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be doing after I die. When I return, am I supposed to just shortcut straight to biome 3 as soon as I see it? Do people spend time going through biome's 1 & 2 to get artifacts? I want to beat the game but I feel like each time I progress to a new biome, returning means I'm playing the previous biome's all over again and it's boring as hell. What's the ideal way to progress through each biome after death?
I wouldn't go straight to biome 3, unless you feel super confident. It's better to build your character up in the early biomes. If you get a good build going biome 3 will be much easier.

You do not need (or probably want) to refight the bosses.

Dr Bass

I just built up pretty well before the 3rd Biome and still didn't get farther than the second time I tried it or so. Definitely one of the discouraging moments, but I've had those before and kept going and got through. :)

Tough game, at least to me it is.

Dr Bass

Happened again in biome 3 and I’m a little surprised. I spent a ton of time building up in Biome 1. I had 50% integrity increase, hollowseeker at level 10, defense buffs, phantom limb buff, and an astronaut. I was tearing enemies up. As I’m getting towards what seems like the end, some of those flying enemies and an automaton materialize and kill me, twice, in about 5 seconds. It was like chaos on screen and that was it. Game over. Astronaut used and an hour and a half wiped out in seconds without seemingly rhyme or reason.

I can take hard but that just felt cheap. I don’t know what I could have done differently to avoid that. I was mowing down everyone, had a ton of life, and then I was gone. The game is immensely fun on a run but the feeling of wasting your time on the length of a run is becoming palpable. This feels like a game you need to sit and dedicate a full day too. At a time. Doing just one run in the evening and losing is becoming a bit wearisome. I just don’t have that kind of time.

Last edited:

skit_data

Happened again in biome 3 and I’m a little surprised. I spent a ton of time building up in Biome 1. I had 50% integrity increase, hollowseeker at level 10, defense buffs, phantom limb buff, and an astronaut. I was tearing enemies up. As I’m getting towards what seems like the end, some of those flying enemies and an automaton materialize and kill me, twice, in about 5 seconds. It was like chaos on screen and that was it. Game over. Astronaut used and an hour and a half wiped out in seconds without seemingly rhyme or reason.

I can take hard but that just felt cheap. I don’t know what I could have done differently to avoid that. I was mowing down everyone, had a ton of life, and then I was gone. The game is immensely fun on a run but the feeling of wasting your time on the length of a run is becoming palpable. This feels like a game you need to sit and dedicate a full day too. At a time. Doing just one run in the evening and losing is becoming a bit wearisome. I just don’t have that kind of time.
I had a couple of those experiences as well before making it through Biome 3. I later realized it was partly due to moving too fast into the Biome, and not using the grappling hook to get back to where i came from when i got overwhelmed. There is this one room (i think it’s the same you died in) that you grapple to that is just utter chaos and makes you panic. I think I grappled back and took em all out from distance at that part. I strongly recommend the Rotgland lobber for the whole of Biome 3, it really hits like a truck with the explosive rot and the dot from it will let you take them out from a distance.

The time i made it through the whole of Biome 3 I had like 200% suit integrity and 15 weapon proficency, so having a hard time at 50% doesn’t surprise me, getting Protection from the earlier Biomes is also a key to surviving.

Also:
Once you restored access to the central tower it will be a lot faster going to the boss, you won’t have to go through the whole Biome again

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I had a couple of those experiences as well before making it through Biome 3. I later realized it was partly due to moving too fast into the Biome, and not using the grappling hook to get back to where i came from when i got overwhelmed. There is this one room (i think it’s the same you died in) that you grapple to that is just utter chaos and makes you panic. I think I grappled back and took em all out from distance at that part. I strongly recommend the Rotgland lobber for the whole of Biome 3, it really hits like a truck with the explosive rot and the dot from it will let you take them out from a distance.

The time i made it through the whole of Biome 3 I had like 200% suit integrity and 15 weapon proficency, so having a hard time at 50% doesn’t surprise me, getting Protection from the earlier Biomes is also a key to surviving.

Also:
Once you restored access to the central tower it will be a lot faster going to the boss, you won’t have to go through the whole Biome again
I’ve literally died like three times right before what I think you’re talking about. Ugh. I’ll do more this weekend.

2AdEPT

I’ve literally died like three times right before what I think you’re talking about. Ugh. I’ll do more this weekend.
After dying like this OVER and OVER in biomes 1 and 2 I have learned from my mistakes which helped me develop new to roguelite player recommendations with area 3 and that same choke point in mind. I dont think its that different no matter that its procedural...leading up to the unlocking of the tower is hell on earth, or atropos WTVs:
1.) NEVER go into an area with multiple enemies unless absolitely necessary....always kite enemies one at a time and dont enter a yellow star "challenge dungeon" until you are gud....we are going back to 2009 Demon's souls tactics with the bow and turtle shield with winged spear......but if you want to get through biome 3 that is my advice.
2.) No tactics are off limits - those fricken flying frickers are cheap as hell and they deserve equal cheese tactics in return. I go to the nearest blue side door, clear it out, then kite those fuckers back to the door so I can take on the rest of the enemies in realtive peace. Electro pylon driver is best but other weapons work albeit less cheesy.
3.) You will have to eventually get into a situaiton where they gank you. Keep restarting until you get the gradual healing at low integrity perk in biome 1, either parasite or whatever...I heard someone say they were able to stack two of them, but one is enough. Clear out laser rooms at low integrity and heal with this perk rinse and repeat then only use heals and sylphium to max your bar for the toughest rooms and the boss.Silphyium management 101 is never consime small silphium unless you know no large ones are coming. eat the large ones first get full health THEN get the smaller ones for suit upgrades....by leaving myself at low health with the health regen perk and saving sylphium to the end for the most part I was able to get my suit to well over 250% by the third boss. try to raise protection, get the artifact that gives you extra cooldown time after getting hit before another hit can register (saves you on bosses and shit shows). Obviously astro but I didnt get itfor biome 2 and lost it on area 3 and didnt need it for the boss wth the above in mind.
4.) Believe it or not, you can inch forward and check the map if the area looks like a lockdown room and immediately leave if it looks like a shit show. In area three it is the big giant looking creature with a shield around him. Ive seen some people not get lockdown status appraoching the final area before you unlcok the tower...but I did...and not only that, I had a laser corridor before the area which others didt seem to get....my RNG was TERRIBLE. But even so my time tested strat of running in large circles (preferably with sprint on "always sprint" in the game settings menu,) I was able to get back out ASAP once I shot the lockdown pillar and critical enemy, heal using my slow heal at low health, then use electro pylon driver to kill the remaining giant and robots while hiding outside the door. Lost a lot of health panicking through the lasers but once I was out I was out..then it was cake.

Ouff did you buy a reconstruction in the 1st Biome an you’re now in the 3rd? Sorry to break it to you, those Ethers are wasted :( You can only respawn in the same area you die

Edit: I learned the hard way, I bought reconstruction in Biome 1 and 2, moved on to 3 and googled it afterwards. 12 Ethers wasted.
Thanks...no worries...it was good insurance as I knew I had the slow heal at low integrity and didnt want to lose it. I got at least gud enuff (and lucky enough to manage my oblits and get protection and good artifacts etc.) to last through my second attempt on Ixion to biome 4 wothout dying! Lost my astro on a useless laser room in 3 though UGGGGGH! Didnt need it for the boss as I saved 3 heals two small and one large...used them all but got through biome 3 with luck and cheese tactics. Electro pylon driver FTW!

1st biome "thorough" walkthrough (Press [CC] for hints and details)​

Took nearly 2 days on youtube to be processed in 4K HDR!

This is awesome. I think Ill try to use othe Ps5 footage intead of twith for hte next boss...but this game is was so glitchy I couldnt get teh on board recorder to work right for biome 1. :(

Last edited:
One of the things I'm having issues is clearly identifying sounds and visuals.
The sound of secondary fire recharge often gets drowned out. The sound effects are excellent but often not distinct enough.
Visually why would they include yellow projectiles which look like obolites which also fly at you? A few of the biome one enemies (tentacle dogs big and small) look too similar but luckily I got through that quickly

Rea

Don't stand still and shoot, always on the move with hip fire, try to use grapple as many as you can. Clear those flying robots fast, then engage the big robots. I died many times on biome 3 too, also when you died, never skip straight to biome 3. Always fully explore the previous biomes. That's how i beat this game. I have never ever won biome 3 or biome 6, if i skip the previous biomes. Always use ether on the machine near the helios. Hopes it help

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I agree with a lot of you about how boring it is to have to slog through the first two biomes all over again to build up your character enough to do well in biome 3. I haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like, and am only getting about a single run in a night, and it’s dull AF to spend most of that run doing stuff you’ve done quite a lot before. I got to biome 3 on about eight deaths, but I’m approaching double that now on 3. with both RE 8 and Mass Effect out now, I’ll be putting this down for a while I think, which is a shame. The slog is just boring me.

That mid run save function would be a very good idea.

Got to the third boss.
I was pretty unprepared but still it felt quite crushing.

I had the Reconstructor but I didn't give the game my 100% so I lost half of my health on the way to the boss, so that didn't go as planned.

I have to play something else for a while and regroup myself.

2AdEPT

I totally get it...what I had to do to make each area "excitimg" was to see how lucky I could get with RNG early and if I didnt get the slow regen, major protection without crappy bad side to the parasite I purposely suicided...I think the game tracks if you die lots in a close proximity and gives you better RNG on your next...maybe it was jsut random RNG but who knows right? ;)

2AdEPT

I agree with a lot of you about how boring it is to have to slog through the first two biomes all over again to build up your character enough to do well in biome 3. I haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like, and am only getting about a single run in a night, and it’s dull AF to spend most of that run doing stuff you’ve done quite a lot before. I got to biome 3 on about eight deaths, but I’m approaching double that now on 3. with both RE 8 and Mass Effect out now, I’ll be putting this down for a while I think, which is a shame. The slog is just boring me.

That mid run save function would be a very good idea.

Got to the third boss.
I was pretty unprepared but still it felt quite crushing.

I had the Reconstructor but I didn't give the game my 100% so I lost half of my health on the way to the boss, so that didn't go as planned.

I have to play something else for a while and regroup myself.

Im trying to do this without spoilers but defintely the payoff is worth it to beat biome 3.

I totally get it...what I had to do to make each area "exciting" was to see how lucky I could get with RNG early just sprinting around and if I didnt get the slow regen, major protection without crappy bad side to the parasite I purposely suicided...I think the game tracks if you die lots in a close proximity and gives you better RNG on your next...maybe it was jsut random RNG but who knows right? ;) For example, despite that I lost my 10 hours and 2 bosses of no death streak by going into the ship and tyring the leaderboard crap for 5 ether (must have been a glitch as that cant possibly be a thing is it?), the next run gave me a new artifact that somehow "links protection to ether". I totally hoard my ether and checked my stat page and had 25% protection stacked with a free fabricator which gave me another 15 ....so 40% before I even got 2 areas away from helios. Once I got this and few other perks I started going inch and hour to protect my good fortune.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
One of the things I'm having issues is clearly identifying sounds and visuals.
The sound of secondary fire recharge often gets drowned out. The sound effects are excellent but often not distinct enough.
Visually why would they include yellow projectiles which look like obolites which also fly at you? A few of the biome one enemies (tentacle dogs big and small) look too similar but luckily I got through that quickly
Is your controller sound deactivated? Because the controller rumbles hard and (if I remember correctly)emits a bipping-like song when alt-fire is ready.

Wow, this game sure is kicking my ass. To me it's a million times more frustrating than for example Bloodborne or Dark Souls which I love. I've died in the first boss a few times and I never really get enough practice, and going all the way to the boss again after dying is very very frustrating.. To say the least 😑

But it's fun and challenging, and I want to keep getting better. Not being able to save and quit really, really, really sucks though. I'd love to take a break in the middle of a session and play something else.

Last edited:

Cobenzl

Found Scout Log 9 last night! I'm still battling through Biome 2 though - only made it to the Boss once after a late night 3 hour run. I found a portal in Biome 2, before the corridor that takes you inside the mountain - does that appear everytime?

Is your controller sound deactivated? Because the controller rumbles hard and (if I remember correctly)emits a bipping-like song when alt-fire is ready.
When using headphones yes. I also get confused between taking damage and an increase in adrenaline. The conditioning of seeing a red screen/vibration meaning damage taken.
Recently I played mortal shell and the sound effects for a cooldown is game changing.

Top Bottom