• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Phew beat Fourth Biome's boss in the third attempt

Yeah the 4th boss is amazing, my first encounter with him I had a level 15 carbine on which I just unlocked leech rounds .... It was awesome, it healed me so much I barely had to dodge bullets.I had unlock the weapon trait like the room befre and was underleveled so I was sure I was going to die but that carbine saved me ... although the fight took like 20 min.

I had a quick blast last night, only for an hour. It seems fun to play, and the controls are nice and tight. I still need to get my head around the different objects, items and what stays when I die.

Can anyone tell me what the three icons are, just to the left of the mini-map?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I had a quick blast last night, only for an hour. It seems fun to play, and the controls are nice and tight. I still need to get my head around the different objects, items and what stays when I die.

Can anyone tell me what the three icons are, just to the left of the mini-map?
From top to bottom :
Ether currency you keep between runs max out at 30 can purify chests ir buy random artifact/consumable at the beginning

Keys unlock doors or chests

Obolites ...money .

GymWolf

Gold Member
They show up as a resource icon on your minimap. It seems they appear in a specific room on each biome though.

I got a fragment in biome 4 on my first run, and then 5 and 6 in my second run when I died in biome 4.

BIome 1 and 2 I got on my first run as well

Not sure on the house. I'd imagine so but I already saw all the house scenes before the credits rolled
Shit, so now i have to do 2 different runs to see the last 2 house cutscenes before even finding the collectibles for the real finale?!

I reached the house in the new game+ in the first biome but it was closed...do i need to find the key again? Or there is some fuckery going on?

Shit i hate when games have this type of unlocks for story bits...

Dibils2k

After fully exploring all 3 biomes, getting 40% protection, 220% health, 4 health vials, 2 adrenaline boosters and an artifact for healing when doing damage I think I'm finally ready for the third boss. :)

0HVpubs.jpg
James Sawyer Reaction GIF

Was it difficult?! Like are they well hided without the map signaling them?!

I heard that they can not appear during a run, in that case what i suppose to do? I'm not gonna replay the game 6 times because the rng for story objects is fucked up...

Do i have to watch all the house cutscenes before they start to appear or jist completing the game and starting new game+ is enough?!

Idk about the house cutscenes, as I watched them all anyway. But I got the first 5 on my first try. I didn't see the one in 6, but I died there with only exploring around 90% of the map.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Idk about the house cutscenes, as I watched them all anyway. But I got the first 5 on my first try. I didn't see the one in 6, but I died there with only exploring around 90% of the map.
My fear is that i fucked up by entering the new game + before seeing all the house cutscenes in the normal game.

Because now i'm in biome 1 and the house is closed...

Wait, maybe the last 2 scenes need to be saw in the house in biome 4?!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Sunface Fragments don't just drop somewhere, they all spawn their biomes in very specific rooms that are made for them and all involve using the final permanent upgrade to reach. I found them all first try, could be so they all spawn by default every single time in act 3 until you collect them.

After fully exploring all 3 biomes, getting 40% protection, 220% health, 4 health vials, 2 adrenaline boosters and an artifact for healing when doing damage I think I'm finally ready for the third boss. :)

0HVpubs.jpg
You should enable the run time from the main menu :). How long did this take you?

drotahorror

Missing 1 scout log on biome 1, 1 cipher on biome 2, and 1 cipher on biome 6 for Platinum.

Extremely tedious, I don't know why I even bother. I don't typically trophy hunt but I do sometimes for games I very much enjoy. Too bad getting this plat is a chore and not much of a challenge.

drotahorror

My fear is that i fucked up by entering the new game + before seeing all the house cutscenes in the normal game.

Because now i'm in biome 1 and the house is closed...

Wait, maybe the last 2 scenes need to be saw in the house in biome 4?!

Have you seen 4 house scenes? I saw 4 before beating the game. Then went back to biome 4 to see the fifth.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Have you seen 4 house scenes? I saw 4 before beating the game. Then went back to biome 4 to see the fifth.
The last i saw was

selene's child(??) Playing returnal on his ps5 and Eating cereals with the astronaut

Is that the 3rd or the 4th one?!

drotahorror

The last i saw was

selene's child(??) Playing returnal on his ps5 and Eating cereals with the astronaut

Is that the 3rd or the 4th one?!

Check biome 4 for house next time you play it. Eventually the house will say it's dark. Then you need to collect 6 fragments. I got my biome 6 one after the boss I believe. Then you gotta go to house again, and beat biome 6 again.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Check biome 4 for house next time you play it. Eventually the house will say it's dark. Then you need to collect 6 fragments. I got my biome 6 one after the boss I believe. Then you gotta go to house again, and beat biome 6 again.
Ugh, too much bullshit hassle...

I'm gonna play until i'm bored and maybe watch the rest on yt, i really don't care about the story of this game enough to do all of that (and i heard that the secret finale is even more abstract than the normal one)

Thanks anyway.

You mean you had to rebeat the final boss to find the 6th? I've been through the 6th biome twice now (died near the boss both times) and haven't found it. The other 5 I found on my first run in NG+.

Bartski

Gold Member
You mean you had to rebeat the final boss to find the 6th? I've been through the 6th biome twice now (died near the boss both times) and haven't found it. The other 5 I found on my first run in NG+.
They all spawn in Act 3 = after the final boss. The fragment in B6 often spawns to the left of the pathway you go to get the boss door key, looks for the orb to shoot. You have to repeat B6 once again and beat the boss after the final house sequence to get to the true ending

hollowseeker is probably your best bet for the drones because of the homing

if you find a hollowseeker with portal beam or portal turret, definitely pick that up for the drones

i found one in biome 5 that has both portal beam and turret and wow is that ever easy mode
Yeah, I had a good version of that I lucked into, but usually I run into them with a crappy gun before I can find one

What gun you are using?
I found the acid gun great agains them.
Also stay close to pillars wher you can dodge them easily. But yeah acid gun should do the job.
I had the best run last night.
Another advice increase your health. And get artifact. I got this artifact where I get health by killing enemies, my health was always full
Funny enough, I tried that gun and it was just too slow against them. I tried hiding behind pillars and they just followed me around it. Had a decent amount of health and some protection, but when I have 8 of them swarming me, that's gone in an instant
Unfortunately, giving advice for this game is not very useful due to its heavy RNG nature. Against drones, the two tactics which work are killing them immediately before they shoot you (high DPS/AOE weapons, spreading fire) and hide and seek, preferably with a DOT weapon (acid/pylons). But chances are you won't find a suitable weapon before facing them, or they will spawn around you in an empty platform in the middle of nowhere.

I think they nerfed them in the new patch (the one they rolled back), so you could wait until they release the patch again to see if that improves your chances. I may be wrong, though.
That's my big problem, I'm usually stuck with a 5ish gun from biome 1 by the time I encounter them. Maybe the best bet is hit 2 and see if I can get something better before going there

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You guys who says biome 6 isn't too bad are crazy. I have a bitch of a time there.
Rng. If you go into biome 6 after beating worlds 4 and 5 on the same run, you would be decked out with lots of perks and buffs. I killed every enemy in there with just a few hits.

Entroyp

Absolutely. Some people will enjoy this game for what it is (like me, I’m loving it) and others will not like it and simply won’t play it.

Then a few will cry like little bitches because the lost 3 hours of their busy life (lol)

Last edited:

Malachai

Gold Member
I dunno if it's the random nature of the levels but I'm finding chests that are on platforms higher than I can jump with no grapple points to get to them in biome 3. Kind of frustrating when it's a weapon chest.

FrankWza

They all spawn in Act 3 = after the final boss. The fragment in B6 often spawns to the left of the pathway you go to get the boss door key, looks for the orb to shoot. You have to repeat B6 once again and beat the boss after the final house sequence to get to the true ending
This clears up a lot. As long as you get dark house and this you’re good?

JTCx

You guys who says biome 6 isn't too bad are crazy. I have a bitch of a time there.
Whats giving you trouble? Having a good gun is probably the most important thing. My artifacts and parasites were shit but i finished my run without too much trouble because of my gun. It makes all the difference.

SlimySnake

I find it hilarious that their new patch downloaded automatically and installed itself while the console was on rest mode even though I had both settings disabled in the PS5 OS. They are straight up ignoring PS system level settings lmao.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Absolutely. Some people will enjoy this game for what it is (like me, I’m loving it) and others will not like it and simply won’t play it.

Then a few will cry like little bitches because the lost 3 hours of their busy life (lol)

People aren't asking for save points. Or at least.. that's not the main criticism being levied.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

save points dont make the game easier. hades saves in every room but also when you die. so you cant just reload the save if you die. however, if you want to stop playing mid run and play something else, or if your game crashes or gets updated in the middle of the night, you shouldnt have to live with losing progress.

after another crash last night, i am up to 4 crashes. not a big deal when i have almost 30 hours in the game, but when crashes lead to 2 hours or lost progress instead of just a restart like in most games, these things start to get a bit more annoying.

What is wrong with giving people options?

Yeah, it’s a cool game. Was a shot or two from beating boss #2 and don’t think I like the rng aspect of items all that much. Pretty sure the permadeath feature is a way to pad the games length, more than anything. Could have used another 3 months of dev time, and I don’t think it will be the sleeper hit with this format. Who knows how much they will enhance the game further, I guess that will truly show the kind of studio HQ is.

RGB'D

This game has some good bones, but I'm losing serious steam. They just made too many crappy design choices and the game is getting less and less fun by the run. I would live to see a second try if they fixed the rng and power ups but until then I think I'm done with returnal. Maybe I'll pick it up again later. It's a decent enough game but I have to think that it was artificially elevated in reviews because of the absolute dirth of next gen content.

MaKTaiL

So.... I just beat the final boss and watched the ending cutscene.....
I'm confused

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
This game has some good bones, but I'm losing serious steam. They just made too many crappy design choices and the game is getting less and less fun by the run. I would live to see a second try if they fixed the rng and power ups but until then I think I'm done with returnal. Maybe I'll pick it up again later. It's a decent enough game but I have to think that it was artificially elevated in reviews because of the absolute dirth of next gen content.
How far are you in?

The more you unlock and progress the better it gets. The malignant objects are supposed to be a risk and reward mechanik if it is that what you mean with "crappy".
In my opinion the RNG aspect is really well balanced. Once you get used to enemy behaviour it isn't all that difficult anymore.

I can just suggest you to keep playing but if you aren't having any fun than sure, take a break.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Pretty sure the permadeath feature is a way to pad the games length, more than anything.
Even if, and that is a big IF, you would play through the game on your first try without dying it would still take you somewhere between 5 to 7 hours.
After that you would have seen the design of all the biomes with one single layout, a small fracture of the story and pretty much nothing of the unlockable items and artifacts.
In this hypothetical assumption the game is far from short and still highly replayable.

Permadeath is core mechanic in this game and definitely not a way to artificially stretch the games length.

whyman

I Love this game but it's too hard for me. The third boss is my limit. Too bad there isn't a difficulty option. I would really liked to have finished it.

Top Bottom